Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576407 times)

Offline Lavirus

Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #910 on: November 01, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
Yeah, the if-I-can't-display-everything mentality can keep you from putting out anything. I had most of my holdings in a couple of large file cabinets in the basement, stacked so that I couldn't even access my binders. I had a couple of small cabinets containing books I never looked that and swapped them all out, now I can pull out my binders and have easy access to all my full boxes, cereal boxes, posters, etc. I'll post some pictures, it's no big deal but a small effort has made me happy. As it is I've got Wacky magnets and clingys around the house, much to my wife's chagrin!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #911 on: November 01, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »

Of note, this is the first time I've uploaded pics from my phone, now if I could only figure out how to rotate them. Baby steps.

HaHa, this seems to be an issue for many. I use an iPhone and have it setup to my mac so as soon as I take pic its in iPhoto. If its upside down I just rotate it and the. Upload it. Seems to work fine. You can also rotate the image within the phone but that doesn't tell me if its upside down or not when I try to upload it. Oh the conundrum.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:01:52 PM by RawGoo »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #912 on: November 02, 2013, 04:15:05 AM »
Cool. My box collection began under a similar guise, as I just wanted one of each color/style. Pretty much, that's what I have still, and I'm trying to remain in control...but I am jealous that you have a 15th. I def would like one of them. You know what they say about going black.....

A 15th is the only box I have.  It's in such nice shape I'm afraid to leave it out  :-\

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #913 on: November 02, 2013, 04:47:22 AM »
I'm jealous that your pile is almost-organized. Here's a pic of my box collection. I believe they are organized by sturdiness for the most part.

Of note, this is the first time I've uploaded pics from my phone, now if I could only figure out how to rotate them. Baby steps.

Glad the upside down posting problem wasn't just me
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:02:05 PM by RawGoo »

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #914 on: November 02, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
I picked these up in the last 2 weeks ----

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:02:20 PM by RawGoo »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #915 on: November 02, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

Nice! Now that my interest in ANS is waning, the next goal is to pick up the last few 16ths to complete that series.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:02:36 PM by RawGoo »

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #916 on: November 02, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »
Nice! Now that my interest in ANS is waning, the next goal is to pick up the last few 16ths to complete that series.

Yeah, my final goal is to complete the 16th in PSA 7 or higher. I am over half way there. With the exception of the puzzle of course.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #917 on: November 02, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Yeah, my final goal is to complete the 16th in PSA 7 or higher. I am over half way there. With the exception of the puzzle of course.

That puzzle is the lowest on my list for the original series. I may or may not ever get it - mainly because I just don't like the image (right up there with the 15th series).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #918 on: November 02, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »

Most 16th series I've found have been around PSA 7 and above. I'll have to check out my series 16. I think I have them all graded.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
Most 16th series I've found have been around PSA 7 and above. I'll have to check out my series 16. I think I have them all graded.

Yeah Brad, I have about 15 REALLY nice 16th's that need to be sent to PSA for grading. When they come back I will only need 4 titles plus the puzzle to complete.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
I may or may not ever get it - mainly because I just don't like the image (right up there with the 15th series).
If a decent one could be had for, say, about $20....would that change your opinion on getting one?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #921 on: November 02, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
Yeah Brad, I have about 15 REALLY nice 16th's that need to be sent to PSA for grading. When they come back I will only need 4 titles plus the puzzle to complete.

I'm submitting some 16ths shortly. It's amazing as I go through all my stuff to see how I neglected centering over the years. In my mind my 16th set was flawless, but over half of them will get only a 7 due to centering. So I'm only submitting 12 :(

Offline Porkie

« Reply #922 on: November 02, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
If a decent one could be had for, say, about $20....would that change your opinion on getting one?

Absolutely!  :great:

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #923 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Absolutely!  :great:
So, then, it's not really the image that's the problem, is it? It's the cost.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #924 on: November 03, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
In my mind my 16th set was flawless, but over half of them will get only a 7 due to centering.
Oh, POOR you!   :'(     :D

Offline Porkie

« Reply #925 on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
So, then, it's not really the image that's the problem, is it? It's the cost.

No - I still dislike the images. The 15th is very flat/cartoonish and doesn't live up to the "Wacky Standard" in my mind. The 16th is just kinda ugly imo and again doesn't live up to that standard in my mind.

I know it's generally about having a Topps-parodied product on the puzzle but imagine the 16th puzzle being Copperbone or Seven Spies or DirtyCell, and the 15th being Mashbox, Gums, Mobsters, or Bloodweiser.

If they were $20 then I wouldn't think about them, but for the price disliking the artwork makes them much less desirable imo. It then comes down to being a completist or not.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #926 on: November 04, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
No - I still dislike the images. The 15th is very flat/cartoonish and doesn't live up to the "Wacky Standard" in my mind. The 16th is just kinda ugly imo and again doesn't live up to that standard in my mind.
You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I'm not convinced that it's not the cost causing the opinion. Anyway, it's not worth causing any friction over...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #927 on: November 04, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I'm not convinced that it's not the cost causing the opinion. Anyway, it's not worth causing any friction over...

I'm with you. I really like series 15 and 16. When I got put back into Wacky I didn't realize they made this many series. I thought it was done around series 11 or 12. I lived in ND so I didn't know a type difference ...LOL

Offline Porkie

« Reply #928 on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
I'm with you. I really like series 15 and 16. When I got put back into Wacky I didn't realize they made this many series. I thought it was done around series 11 or 12. I lived in ND so I didn't know a type difference ...LOL

Just to be sure: I was talking about the 15th and 16th series puzzles, not the stickers. The 16th series puzzle being so expensive is low on my list because the cost is high and the art (imo) is not my fave - if it was a puzzle image of one of the three cards I listed I would be much more interested in it.

The 15th and 16th series stickers are great and are somewhat unique imo in that they seem transitional in some way away from the core Saunders art into new territory that never really appeared (e.g. the 17th series). I've been slowly collecting the 16th set and am definitely wanting to fill it in completely some day. The puzzle may or may not happen for me, that's all.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #929 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »
Just to be sure: I was talking about the 15th and 16th series puzzles, not the stickers. The 16th series puzzle being so expensive is low on my list because the cost is high and the art (imo) is not my fave - if it was a puzzle image of one of the three cards I listed I would be much more interested in it.

The 15th and 16th series stickers are great and are somewhat unique imo in that they seem transitional in some way away from the core Saunders art into new territory that never really appeared (e.g. the 17th series). I've been slowly collecting the 16th set and am definitely wanting to fill it in completely some day. The puzzle may or may not happen for me, that's all.

Oh, I thought you meant the series. The puzzles are nothing to write home about but you got to complete them! I may have a few 16th series puzzle pieces if you are interested. I couldn't even tell you off the top what condition they are in. I have a box of a bunch of Misc. items in.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #930 on: November 05, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Just got this beauty in the mail today. There are five or six titles in the 2nd series that are really difficult to find centered and properly cut. This isn't the toughest one, but it's pretty tough. I've been looking for a nice one for years.

Great whiteness, front and back, too!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:03:07 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #931 on: November 05, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Just got this beauty in the mail today. There are five or six titles in the 2nd series that are really difficult to find centered and properly cut. This isn't the toughest one, but it's pretty tough. I've been looking for a nice one for years.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's a nice one. 10s are so tough but 9s get a lot of looks too.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #932 on: November 05, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »

Nice! congrats!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:03:31 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #933 on: November 05, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

The puzzles are nothing to write home about but you got to complete them!

Dr. Spock would say, “That's not logical Captain.”         

“Completeaholism”, is there a 12 Step program for it?      ;D                 

For me, it’s not just about collecting stuff, but also other things in life. I hate the feeling something is not complete. It makes me crabby. I’ve lied on my timecard at work and snuck in and finished a project. Therapy has helped the obsession. Sometimes I make myself wait a couple of days to wash the dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, in order to practice being OK leaving something incomplete.   

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #934 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
Dr. Spock would say, “That's not logical Captain.”          

“Completeaholism”, is there a 12 Step program for it?      ;D                

For me, it’s not just about collecting stuff, but also other things in life. I hate the feeling something is not complete. It makes me crabby. I’ve lied on my timecard at work and snuck in and finished a project. Therapy has helped the obsession. Sometimes I make myself wait a couple of days to wash the dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, in order to practice being OK leaving something incomplete.  

I was the same way initially and then I got wrapped up into it and the puzzles came with the overpriced sets. It just happens. I'm not like that now on everything. I have walked away on a lot of stuff thanks to ANS10. I didn't order the cereal boxes or OS posters either. I have the ones I want as wall stickers from LTL. I bought the Halloween PC posters because I really like this batch of PCs. When the art is available I may not have that much resistance.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #935 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:04 PM »

Yeah, the if-I-can't-display-everything mentality can keep you from putting out anything.

I can relate to this all-or-none approach the brain sometimes takes. It’s black and white thinking. It’s a binary mode, with two cerebral settings, ALL or NONE. If I can’t do or get everything I want, I sometimes freeze and can’t do anything. I'm learning to embrace the shades of greys.     

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #936 on: November 05, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
I can relate to this all-or-none approach the brain sometimes takes. It’s black and white thinking. It’s a binary mode, with two cerebral settings, ALL or NONE. If I can’t do or get everything I want, I sometimes freeze and can’t do anything. I'm learning to embrace the shades of greys.    

All collectors have some type of mental disability. We are no different than glorified hoarders. Some may not see it that way but why do we collect stuff? It's supposed to make our life fulfilled but is it? We still want more. I'm no different. I think I need everything and then have to narrow it down to the cost and possibilities. It's not like I spend every day going through my collection. I put them in binders and then move on to the next series. I rarely go back just to look over a previous series. I know I completed it and move on. I move on because the next series is around the corner. There are collectors that collect a ton of stuff such as all sports cards. Can you imagine if you collected every non-sport and sport cards. You would have wall to wall of boxes that you will never go through again.

I'm not saying everyone should stop collecting but I think we have to ask ourselves why we collect and what do we get out of it. It's probably a mental disease we all have. It's the way we are wired.

I have a confession. I throw away a ton of base stuff to make room for the new stuff. Instead of putting everything in sets to sell ill just dump them in the dumpster. This might offend some but I have to move on. I don't have the room. My office is jammed packed the way it is. It's only base stuff and I don't want to go through all the hassles of building sets and selling sets for $3 each. It's just not productive. I know others can't fathom throwing away base cards but that's how you become a hoarder.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:58:10 PM by BumChex »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #937 on: November 05, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »

hassles of building sets and selling sets for $3 each.

Where can you get $3 a set???   1, 2 sets on ebay maybe, thats about it. I have thrown away some base/pink border crap. I wish i could get $1 a set. The truth is if you buy quantity you're left with more crap than you can ever sell. I have given so much away, nobody wants it anymore. So, i have curbed my buying to specialty sets only, postcards/OLDS..ect. ANS has burned its way through me.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #938 on: November 06, 2013, 04:01:19 AM »
Where can you get $3 a set???   1, 2 sets on ebay maybe, thats about it. I have thrown away some base/pink border crap. I wish i could get $1 a set. The truth is if you buy quantity you're left with more crap than you can ever sell. I have given so much away, nobody wants it anymore. So, i have curbed my buying to specialty sets only, postcards/OLDS..ect. ANS has burned its way through me.

I still get between $4 and $6 for base sets at the comic store, but I only sell a handful a month.  If people are tossing stuff, please don't toss Old School 4 puzzles!  I can use several of those, as I always sell sets with the puzzle, and this time I didn't get enough puzzles because of the baseball cards.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #939 on: November 06, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
I still get between $4 and $6 for base sets at the comic store, but I only sell a handful a month.  If people are tossing stuff, please don't toss Old School 4 puzzles!  I can use several of those, as I always sell sets with the puzzle, and this time I didn't get enough puzzles because of the baseball cards.

I have a bunch of puzzles. You are welcome to them all. You just need to pay postage. PM if you are interested.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #940 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:55 AM »
I got this in the mail yesterday. I've been looking for a nice one of these for about a year.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:03:49 PM by RawGoo »

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #941 on: November 09, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice Dave. That's a beauty.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #942 on: November 11, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
I got this in the mail yesterday. I've been looking for a nice one of these for about a year.

And the PSA slab says "1977"!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:04:04 PM by RawGoo »
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #943 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:58 AM »
And the PSA slab says "1977"!

Isn't that when they were actually sold?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #944 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
Isn't that when they were actually sold?
I believe so, the few that actually were...