Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576389 times)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #875 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
Can't say I disagree!

Me neither - count me in this camp(y) and pour us a hot cup of coffee 'round the campfire!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #876 on: May 29, 2013, 07:07:32 AM »
Me neither - count me in this camp(y) and pour us a hot cup of coffee 'round the campfire!

Don't you mean the "campy-fire"?  :D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #877 on: May 29, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »
I should probably just let sleeping dogs lie on this, but it wouldn't be fair to remain silent.

Thanks to those of you who "sided" with me, as you are correct. I had no condescending intentions toward Rob in my response, though it wasn't exactly a joke. I was truly a bit surprised at his question, I suppose, though with no justification for being so. To me (and many others), the information is so "Wacky Pack 101". However, what Brad and Rob P. have said definitely applies: We don't all know everything about this hobby (i.e. Paul Maul has forgotten more about unopened packs than I'll ever know; actually, he probably hasn't forgotten anything, LOL). Anyway, I figured I'd combine my taken-off-guard response with an answer, hence the post.

Sorry to cause such a fervor...so let's move on. As Timone said, "Ya gotta put your past behind ya".
I gave up on collecting the posters. Just not enough room in the house anymore combined with not enough time to put forth the effort. Personally I had to give up collecting *everything and just decide what was good for me. I love Wacky's but do not have the time to put into it all the time.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Porkie

« Reply #878 on: May 30, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
The posters were one of those "one too many" new items for me too. Couldn't do it. Pushed on the erasers and now have a bunch of extras and not sure I even want my two completed sets. Weird.

I finally got to some Wackys I've needed to organize for a couple of years now (!) and realized the ANS7 and ANS8 I purchased just have no thrill for me whatsoever - I don't even know if I'm going to bother putting any of them in a binder, etc.

This was quite the revelation for me. I did enjoy collecting the ANS1 through ANS6, but 7 and 8 I spent a ton of $ on and ended up with nothing but a pile of dupes - I basically got caught up in trying to get sketch cards or who knows what there and lost sight of why I started collecting again in the first place: my original love of Wackys as it were.

So at least now I have focus again. I've enjoyed the sketch cards I gathered over the years in limited quantities and very selectively (I didn't go nuts there), but again even the postcards I have in stacks don't seem to want to go in any binders past a certain series - they just lost their magic or something.

Been very interesting.

I am still planning on filling in the holes in my OS 1-16 sets and selling/trading my dupes (as soon as I get a handle on what I have!) - just quite enlightening that I hit a kind of wall with the newer stuff (a while ago actually just didn't realize it until very recently).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #879 on: May 31, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »
... just quite enlightening that I hit a kind of wall with the newer stuff (a while ago actually just didn't realize it until very recently).

That's exactly what happened to me, only in my case it happened in around 2006.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #880 on: May 31, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
That's exactly what happened to me, only in my case it happened in around 2006.

I sure wish I could because it's getting very expensive. I think the thrill of the sketches is wearing on me a bit as I have most of the characters now. I'm sure there will be a few that are super cool though that I'll need to have.

I don't really care so much for all the tough ANS variations. I'll still get the basic variations but the luds and golds don't really get me excited, especially with the mustard yellow. I loved the flash foils so if those golds came back I might be a bit more excited.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #881 on: May 31, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
The posters were one of those "one too many" new items for me too.
Not to detract from what you're saying in this post, but I believe Playbug was referring to the original poster set, which I think was what the topic was. If Jeff was referring to the new posters, I'll stand corrected.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #882 on: May 31, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
Not to detract from what you're saying in this post, but I believe Playbug was referring to the original poster set, which I think was what the topic was. If Jeff was referring to the new posters, I'll stand corrected.

Sorry - I believe you're correct Bigtomi - was getting too caught up in the new stuff. See, it even happened there! Ahhhhhhghghghhh!

Seriously though, I have stacks of the new cards and postcards and I really don't feel like doing much with them. I did have one idea though: I'm going to use the ANS7/8 base sets as "backers" for my vintage tan stickers I have in binders, by flipping them over so the shiny non-sticker side is against the vintage tan sticker to keep them from bending too much in those never-really-lay-flat Ultra Premium pages.

I did add a couple of ultra-minor items to my collection this week: I finally picked up a nice 14th puzzle (been on my list forever), and I did get another of my favorite "new" stickers: Osaka Pop. I love the art, the gag, the "vibe" and the obscure nature of it. I actually thought the other day someone should post an MP3 of a track of that CD (hidden somewhere)! :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #883 on: June 01, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »

I did add a couple of ultra-minor items to my collection this week: I finally picked up a nice 14th puzzle (been on my list forever), and I did get another of my favorite "new" stickers: Osaka Pop. I love the art, the gag, the "vibe" and the obscure nature of it. I actually thought the other day someone should post an MP3 of a track of that CD (hidden somewhere)! :)
What did you pay? I think I still have a CD sealed.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #884 on: June 01, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »
What did you pay? I think I still have a CD sealed.

Sticker was $10.50, but is not quite as nice as another I have that was in the $20 range (it was a while back). The trick with the stickers from the CD's is they can be bent/folded because of the way they were packaged. I have a sealed CD but do not plan to open it.

I was thinking if someone had an unsealed CD they could stash an MP3 somewhere so we could hear this legendary (cough) Japanese band without having to open our own. I'm curious what this sounds like, though not overly so - just mild curiosity. :)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #885 on: June 01, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
I bought the CD about a year ago on Amazon for $15.  It was opened but included the sticker.  My wife and kids  really liked the music and we all had a good laugh at the low budget music videos.  All in all a very fun and cool Wacky item.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #886 on: June 01, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
Sticker was $10.50, but is not quite as nice as another I have that was in the $20 range (it was a while back). The trick with the stickers from the CD's is they can be bent/folded because of the way they were packaged. I have a sealed CD but do not plan to open it.

I was thinking if someone had an unsealed CD they could stash an MP3 somewhere so we could hear this legendary (cough) Japanese band without having to open our own. I'm curious what this sounds like, though not overly so - just mild curiosity. :)

Follow the link below and you can sample some of their tunes from Amazon for free...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=osaka+popstar&sprefix=osaka+%2Cdigital-music%2C117

Its been two or three years now, but I purchased a new copy of the CD on Amazon for $2. Haven't looked to see if they are still available or not. For the GPK collectors here, the Osaka Popstars also have a CD with a GPK card included. I think the album is entitled "Rock 'Em O-Sock 'Em Live!"
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:33:35 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #887 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »

Yes, the orginal poster sets from '73 era. The new posters I have, and do like them.  :great:

It's a good thing to finally gain perspective and know what you like to collect or not. Instead of doing a bunch of spending and chasing, you can just spend that chunck on getting a cool sketch off the internet or just buying already assembled stuff for a lot cheaper.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Porkie

« Reply #888 on: June 01, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Yes, the orginal poster sets from '73 era. The new posters I have, and do like them.  :great:

It's a good thing to finally gain perspective and know what you like to collect or not. Instead of doing a bunch of spending and chasing, you can just spend that chunck on getting a cool sketch off the internet or just buying already assembled stuff for a lot cheaper.

The new poster bonus cards are the only ones left of the newer bonus cards I would someday like to pick up, but not at the high ebay prices I've seen recently. Those and some of the really hard early Halloween Bio cards I still need.

Another fun thing to me about the Osaka Pop card is the fact that it is a not-real-product parody. When I look at the art it always makes me smile. It seems to capture the essence of Wacky's for me.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #889 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »
Thanks to Scot, I scored a set of Galaxy Goons cards that he sent me with the ANS 11 stickers!           From 2002

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #890 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »
Thanks to Scot, I scored a set of Galaxy Goons cards that he sent me with the ANS 11 stickers!           From 2002

(Image removed from quote.)

Never heard of these.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #891 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:35 AM »
Never heard of these.

They even have a 9 card puzzle with checklists on the back, and sketch cards!  There's a separate set of prototype mini cards, too, which are supposedly from "Crater Jack."

I really need to go through my extra non-sports sets and post them in the trading section.  I know I have at least one extra set of these.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #892 on: October 31, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
Just received an original 2nd series box, the last one lacking in my collection. The corollary is that I simply wanted one of each color of the original series boxes. I spent the $100 I was going to spend on ANS 11, so I guess I've crossed over to the other side!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:04:51 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #893 on: October 31, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
Just received an original 2nd series box, the last one lacking in my collection. The corollary is that I simply wanted one of each color of the original series boxes. I spent the $100 I was going to spend on ANS 11, so I guess I've crossed over to the other side!

you really scored. I can't believe that guy listed it with a BIN of only $100. I would have snapped that up if I had seen it earlier.
it seems like that monster lot has been completely broken up and being resold. I wonder what they kept, or if they just wanted to flip it all?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #894 on: October 31, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »

I've never been a box collector but too me that looks pretty beat up. I guess $100 is pretty good because of condition. What's the best way to patch it up? Do you insert foam and then shrink wrap it tight?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:05:14 PM by RawGoo »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #895 on: October 31, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
I've never been a box collector but too me that looks pretty beat up. I guess $100 is pretty good because of condition. What's the best way to patch it up? Do you insert foam and then shrink wrap it tight?

I haven't seen any other purple boxes come up in the last few years, and never one at this price, so I grabbed this one.

I believe the foam and shrink wrap is the best way. I've got a couple of boxes that have been protected or patched up in that manner and they look great. Now, to answer your question more specifically - what I will most likely do is keep the box as-is in a drawer until I die or move.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:29:23 PM by DrSushi »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #896 on: October 31, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
you really scored. I can't believe that guy listed it with a BIN of only $100. I would have snapped that up if I had seen it earlier.
it seems like that monster lot has been completely broken up and being resold. I wonder what they kept, or if they just wanted to flip it all?

Thanks, I was lucky to catch it since I was running late that morning, but checked my eBay emails anyway. Of course, I ended up being a bit later to work after buying it.

Yeah, I wonder if that lot had any first series stuff.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #897 on: October 31, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
I haven't seen any other purple boxes come up in the last few years, and never one at this price, so I grabbed this one.

I believe the foam and shrink wrap is the best way. I've got a couple of boxes that have been protected or patched up in that manner and they look great. Now, to answer your question more specifically - what I will most likely do is keep the box as-is in a drawer until I die or move.

HaHa. That is funny!

I know when you get to our age it's almost a conquest just to say you finally got one.

Offline Kook

« Reply #898 on: October 31, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

What monster lot are you talking about?

Offline Porkie

« Reply #899 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
... what I will most likely do is keep the box as-is in a drawer until I die or move.

Semi-spewed the coffee on that one!  :]

I've been looking at my pile of almost-organized Wacky Stuff and have been thinking along the same lines... This collecting thing is getting to be a bit of a bitch! ;)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #900 on: November 01, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
What monster lot are you talking about?
this one
5 boxes plus tons of cards and wrappers
looking at the picture, that's definitely the same 2nd series box.

[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LARGE-LOT-OF-WACKY-PACKAGES-FROM-4TH-5TH-6TH-SERIES-/00/s/OTQ1WDE1OTU=/z/Gq8AAOxy2FZSTaWg/$(KGrHqZ,!lgFJBnqZmGJBST,Wf0cVg~~60_57.JPG[/expando]

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #901 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
Semi-spewed the coffee on that one!  :]

I've been looking at my pile of almost-organized Wacky Stuff and have been thinking along the same lines... This collecting thing is getting to be a bit of a bitch! ;)

I'm jealous that your pile is almost-organized. Here's a pic of my box collection. I believe they are organized by sturdiness for the most part.

Of note, this is the first time I've uploaded pics from my phone, now if I could only figure out how to rotate them. Baby steps.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:05:33 PM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #902 on: November 01, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
I'm jealous that your pile is almost-organized. Here's a pic of my box collection. I believe they are organized by sturdiness for the most part.

Of note, this is the first time I've uploaded pics from my phone, now if I could only figure out how to rotate them. Baby steps.

:great:  Yes, that base needs to be made of the stongest of the strong. Here is one of my "box piles" (as my wife calls them) that has remained successful (read as having remained avalanche free thus far) only because it is surrounded on 3 sides by shelving and through the the use of strategically sized "mortar boxes". 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:05:51 PM by RawGoo »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #903 on: November 01, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
:great:  Yes, that base needs to be made of the stongest of the strong. Here is one of my "box piles" (as my wife calls them) that has remained successful (read as having remained avalanche free thus far) only because it is surrounded on 3 sides by shelving and through the the use of strategically sized "mortar boxes". 

That poor puzzle is getting crushed!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:06:03 PM by RawGoo »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #904 on: November 01, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
Here's a pic of my box collection.
Cool. My box collection began under a similar guise, as I just wanted one of each color/style. Pretty much, that's what I have still, and I'm trying to remain in control...but I am jealous that you have a 15th. I def would like one of them. You know what they say about going black.....

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #905 on: November 01, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »

Yikes!!  I couldn't keep original series boxes stored like that!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:06:16 PM by RawGoo »
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #906 on: November 01, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
Yikes!!  I couldn't keep original series boxes stored like that!

Yeah, I'm a collector, not a displayer. I do, however, think they are safe. But it is far from ideal. Maybe someday...

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #907 on: November 01, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Cool. My box collection began under a similar guise, as I just wanted one of each color/style. Pretty much, that's what I have still, and I'm trying to remain in control...but I am jealous that you have a 15th. I def would like one of them. You know what they say about going black.....

Yeah, I haven't seen too many 15ths. But hang in there, I know you have a history of finding rare items on eBay!

I also have an uncut 12th and a kind of beat up 7th gumless. So I think that's it for me. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap 16th, but that one doesn't hold any nostalgia for me nor do the die cut or ad boxes, so I'm pretty happy staying put. I think.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #908 on: November 01, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »
I've been a long-time collector and decided that I simply couldn't let all this great stuff sit in a drawer forever. I've carved out a small display space which I'll rotate periodically - at least it's something.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #909 on: November 01, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
I've been a long-time collector and decided that I simply couldn't let all this great stuff sit in a drawer forever. I've carved out a small display space which I'll rotate periodically - at least it's something.

That's a great idea! My wife has suggested getting a display cabinet for the basement, and rotating some of my favorite stuff may be the way to go.

But the Bo Schembechler autographed U of M football will probably have a permanent position.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:47:37 PM by DrSushi »

anything