Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 586767 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #770 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #771 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »
Where did you get the 10s? Are they yours, eBay, or a private buy?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #772 on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:44 AM »
Where did you get the 10s? Are they yours, eBay, or a private buy?

Mine, I submitted 19 cards from my 1st series keeper set. I was shocked to get four 10's, eleven 9's, three 8.5's and an 8.
The Mrs. Klean and Horrid are the only existing 10's, pretty cool. I hope my 2nd series stuff does as well!

Offline Kook

« Reply #773 on: February 08, 2013, 05:28:06 AM »
Mine, I submitted 19 cards from my 1st series keeper set. I was shocked to get four 10's, eleven 9's, three 8.5's and an 8.
The Mrs. Klean and Horrid are the only existing 10's, pretty cool. I hope my 2nd series stuff does as well!

Dave,
Did you get your 1st series set from the same source, or have you upgraded it from multiple sources over the years? Those grades are incredible. Especially for the 1st series, that one's TOUGH!! Congratulations on those great results!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #774 on: February 08, 2013, 06:47:42 AM »
Dave,
Did you get your 1st series set from the same source, or have you upgraded it from multiple sources over the years? Those grades are incredible. Especially for the 1st series, that one's TOUGH!! Congratulations on those great results!!

16 of the 19 are from the same source. They're from  a 1st series set I bought at a comic book show in Wayne, NJ in 2005. Ernie will remember this, because the same seller (Anne Marie) was at the Wayne Firehouse Show. She had 1st, 2nd, and 6th series sets I believe, and he bought at least one of the sets. I had gotten the 1st series set at the comic show a month earlier. It was fantastic except some of the stickers toward the end of the checklist had tilt and diamond cut (including Band-Ache and Paul Maul unfortunately). I paid $200 for it because the seller was believing NSU, when the set was actually worth $600 at the time.
They really are uniformly nice, nice whiteness, nice centering...everything!

The Mrs. Klean is not from that source. I paid $25 for it from another collector.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:07:16 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #775 on: February 08, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
So that's what grade 10 first series Wackys look like!
Alex

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #776 on: February 08, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
16 of the 19 are from the same source. They're from  a 1st series set I bought at a comic book show in Wayne, NJ in 2005. Ernie will remember this, because the same seller (Anne Marie) was at the Wayne Firehouse Show. She had 1st, 2nd, and 6th series sets I believe, and he bought at least one of the sets. I had gotten the 1st series set at the comic show a month earlier. It was fantastic except some of the stickers toward the end of the checklist had tilt and diamond cut (including Band-Ache and Paul Maul unfortunately). I paid $200 for it because the seller was believing NSU, when the set was actually worth $600 at the time.

The Mrs. Klean is not from that source. I paid $25 for it from another collector.

They look like they are in fantastic shape, but is it just the pics or do they have that slight magenta tone on the white areas that are soemtimes on series 1 and 2?  Sometimes it isn't noticeable unless you have a very white one to compare to.   

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #777 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
They look like they are in fantastic shape, but is it just the pics or do they have that slight magenta tone on the white areas that are soemtimes on series 1 and 2?  Sometimes it isn't noticeable unless you have a very white one to compare to.    

I think it's the pics. The Mrs. Klean is a tad less white than the others, but the other 3 10's are as white as snow in person.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #778 on: February 08, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
I think it's the pics. The Mrs. Klean is a tad less white than the others, but the other 3 10's are as white as snow in person.

Nice, I always struggled to get scans of anything in a PSA case because it's not flat on the glass, so the image comes out a little blurry.  I usually take them with a camera.  

Speaking of snow, are you getting snow or rain where you are?  We might get 2 feet her in CT

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #779 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »

Speaking of snow, are you getting snow or rain where you are?  We might get 2 feet her in CT

I'm slated for around 12 inches. I have a package out for delivery, I hope it gets here before things deteriorate....

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #780 on: February 08, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »

I have purchased many wackys from Anne Marie over the years.  I don't recall what I bought at that time.  Nice score for you eh?  $200 investment is worth thousands of $ now eh?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #781 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
I have purchased many wackys from Anne Marie over the years.  I don't recall what I bought at that time.  Nice score for you eh?  $200 investment is worth thousands of $ now eh?

In theory. I'm keeping all of these, but I did sell off 7 1st series tanbacks I also submitted (all of which were either the single highest graded example or tied). I figure I paid around $300 for them and they sold for $1700, so I plan to try to work further on my 1st series white set using some of that dough.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #782 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »
In theory. I'm keeping all of these, but I did sell off 7 1st series tanbacks I also submitted (all of which were either the single highest graded example or tied). I figure I paid around $300 for them and they sold for $1700, so I plan to try to work further on my 1st series white set using some of that dough.
That has always been my theory, creating spending money for wackys. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #783 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
Two more 10s...the Gurgle was part of my recent submission. It's the only 10, with the next highest grade being 8.5. The Kook just arrived in the snowy mail today...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #784 on: February 08, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
Man, you did really well! That is exciting when you pull an awesome grade. I was happy with 8s & 9s. I would be floored to pull a 10.

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #785 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
By looking at Gurgle I see PSA grading for wacky's still blows.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #786 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
By looking at Gurgle I see PSA grading for wacky's still blows.

What do you mean? It looks perfect in the scan.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #787 on: February 09, 2013, 05:58:07 AM »
What do you mean? It looks perfect in the scan.

Not sure what he's talking about with Gurgle. My opinion of PSA has changed a lot lately, for the better. For one thing, their customer service is excellent. For another, they have very consistent grading standards for the most part. Once one understands them anyway.

The one thing they do have trouble being consistent on with wackys is how the copyright line affects the centering. If you look on ebay, you'll see many examples of wackys where the copyright line is right up against the bottom of the card receiving grades of 8 or 9. In the mind of the grader, the image needs to be centered and the copyright is not really important (sometimes,anyway).

They are definitely wrong about this. The copyright line should be considered part of the image, and treated accordingly when computing centering. Other than that I have no complaints with PSA anymore. They're human like anyone else, but they do a great job all things considered.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #788 on: February 09, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
The grading does seem to be alittle inconsistent - for the Gurgle the centering horizontally is not perfect (by just a tiny bit) but taking out the copyright, it looks perfect vertically.
For Kook, if you include the copyright, the centering and margins look perfect vertically.
So the card does not have to be perfectly margined to get a 10? There are other factors in play?
A

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #789 on: February 09, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
Here are the details. The centering for a 10 should be in the neighborhood of 55/45 or better. To me, the way the vertical
centering should be viewed, the Kook is perfect and the Gurgle is not.

http://www.psacard.com/services/psa_grading_standards.chtml

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #790 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36:38 AM »
Not sure what he's talking about with Gurgle. My opinion of PSA has changed a lot lately, for the better. For one thing, their customer service is excellent. For another, they have very consistent grading standards for the most part. Once one understands them anyway.

The one thing they do have trouble being consistent on with wackys is how the copyright line affects the centering. If you look on ebay, you'll see many examples of wackys where the copyright line is right up against the bottom of the card receiving grades of 8 or 9. In the mind of the grader, the image needs to be centered and the copyright is not really important (sometimes,anyway).

They are definitely wrong about this. The copyright line should be considered part of the image, and treated accordingly when computing centering. Other than that I have no complaints with PSA anymore. They're human like anyone else, but they do a great job all things considered.

What about the issue of them not deducting for age discoloration like the tanning we see on the tanbacks?  I've seen some horribly colored ones with very high grades, that to me would have been heavily deducted.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #791 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:45 AM »
What about the issue of them not deducting for age discoloration like the tanning we see on the tanbacks?  I've seen some horribly colored ones with very high grades, that to me would have been heavily deducted.

You're right, I don't like that either. Particularly since they always tout "eye appeal" as the most important factor in grading. Neither of these issues is a big deal though, because if you're alert for them, they're easy to spot in a scan, and if those things bother you, you can just move on. Something like corner wear being inconsistently penalized would be a bigger problem since that's a lot harder to see in a scan.

Offline Kook

« Reply #792 on: February 11, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »

You're right, I don't like that either. Particularly since they always tout "eye appeal" as the most important factor in grading. Neither of these issues is a big deal though, because if you're alert for them, they're easy to spot in a scan, and if those things bother you, you can just move on. Something like corner wear being inconsistently penalized would be a bigger problem since that's a lot harder to see in a scan.

I agree that it's not an issue when you are a buyer. There are similar concerns in buying PCGS coins. Toning & discoloration can extremely affect eye appeal, but no the grade.

My issue where it comes into play is in building a registry set. I'd choose a nice bright white set of PSA 7s over a set of crusty old yellow looking PSA 8s, but that will have no effect on your registry ranking. The old crusty 8 will outrank the appealing bright white 7 every time.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #793 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »
I agree that it's not an issue when you are a buyer. There are similar concerns in buying PCGS coins. Toning & discoloration can extremely affect eye appeal, but no the grade.

My issue where it comes into play is in building a registry set. I'd choose a nice bright white set of PSA 7s over a set of crusty old yellow looking PSA 8s, but that will have no effect on your registry ranking. The old crusty 8 will outrank the appealing bright white 7 every time.

Like graded and certified coins, IMHO one of the reasons why people buy graded items is that there is confidence in buying high graded items sight unseen. Now that I know that tanning may not be an issue in downgrading, I'll have to actually see the graded card in person if possible before shelling out any big bucks....
A

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #794 on: February 11, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
Like graded and certified coins, IMHO one of the reasons why people buy graded items is that there is confidence in buying high graded items sight unseen. Now that I know that tanning may not be an issue in downgrading, I'll have to actually see the graded card in person if possible before shelling out any big bucks....
A

I used to think that too, that grading was supposed to facilitate "sight unseen" internet purchases. There's no way that will ever be the case, though. There's too much subjectivity, and different people have different grading priorities that are important to them. I look at a high grade PSA card as being good enough to consider, not a guarantee of satisfaction.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #795 on: March 11, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #796 on: March 11, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #797 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #798 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #799 on: March 11, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »

Thanks to John (Scary Lee) for supplying me with this wacky years ago. Great guy, great eye for wackys!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #800 on: March 11, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
All I can say Dave is "Holy Crap". Looks like you hit the motherload. Those are some sweeeet Wackys.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #801 on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
Look at those 10's! A 9 Bum Chex has to be the best. Did you look a the population report? I think mine is only a 7.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #802 on: March 11, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
A 9 Bum Chex has to be the best. Did you look a the population report? 

There is one other 9. I remember when I bought this from Francis Khoury about 10 years ago. I knew it was a beauty at the time. I have a photographic memory for wackys and remember where I got every wacky I have, so it's fun as I'm having some of these graded to recall where they came from.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #803 on: March 11, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »
There is one other 9. I remember when I bought this from Francis Khoury about 10 years ago. I knew it was a beauty at the time. I have a photographic memory for wackys and remember where I got every wacky I have, so it's fun as I'm having some of these graded to recall where they came from.

Those are gorgeous!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #804 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

I wonder if there was ever a high grade Choke Wagon? I haven't been on PSA's site for at least 2 years.

anything