Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576648 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #595 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
I finally took on a much needed project and organized my extra cards.  I had some in boxes, some on my desk, etc., but they weren't really sorted or organized at all.  I built some racks to keep them organized and handy to access, and I put labels on them to make it easier to see what they are.  Sorting all of the series took a LONG time, but I'm glad it's done.  I don't have all of my extras in these compartments as some of the common base sets are sorted and stored in cardboard card boxes.................. 

I love the iMac...wait....isn't this a wacky forum :great:
Actually its pretty cool. My only issue is all of the doubles I have with the latest series that I would fill that pretty fast. I would just use it for OS but then again they will get dusty.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #596 on: September 02, 2011, 07:21:04 AM »
I love the iMac...wait....isn't this a wacky forum :great:
Actually its pretty cool. My only issue is all of the doubles I have with the latest series that I would fill that pretty fast. I would just use it for OS but then again they will get dusty.

What I did with the series I have a bunch of was just fill up one compartment and the rest goes into a cardboard box.  That way for trades I can pull out the necessary cards without having to go digging through my closet.  There's easily enough room in each compartment to have several of each # for any series, so it seems to work well.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #597 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »
One weekend I meshed together all of the collections I had purchased over time.  Nearly 10,000 series 1-16 stickers.  They are now sorted alphabetically within each series making it a snap for me to pull out sets and singles as needed.  Now that was one intense sorting weekend so I can relate to what you had to go through.

So you know how monotonous sorting can be!  If you do it as the series come out it's not too bad, but doing them all at once is a pain.  I should do my S1-16 alphabetical too.  I have them sorted by title but going that extra step would make sense. 

I bought these sorting trays that help with the sorting process..............

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #598 on: September 02, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
So you know how monotonous sorting can be!  If you do it as the series come out it's not too bad, but doing them all at once is a pain.  I should do my S1-16 alphabetical too.  I have them sorted by title but going that extra step would make sense. 

Those sorting trays are the best.  They cut down the sorting time to almost a third.  I have (2) one for me and one for my wife.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #599 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »
Small project i've been working on.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #600 on: September 03, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »

I have a ton of ANS7 to be sorted.  Now, I usually do stacks of 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc, and then work from the last number to the first, building a set out of those stacks from the bottom up, 10 cards at a time.  With ANS5 I had a whole table with 55 stacks of each sticker, which I separated by backs in each stack, so I could be sure every set I packed up was either an "A" or a "B" back version, and had a checklist.  The 80 cards in ANS6 blew that away - the table was too small, and now it's full of boxes of loose Wackys.....

I don't have a lot of original Wackys to sort.  Since I first bought those, as a kid, I've sorted them in checklist order, which is sometimes annoying now.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #601 on: September 03, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
Ni
Small project i've been working on.

nice mosaic... I can appriciate the time it takes to piece something like this together. Finding the right shaped items so the wackys don't overlap too much takes some patience. Also getting titles grouped together so there is not an over saturation of one or two colors... Etc.
It's one of those things that look simple when done correctly but requires some effort.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #602 on: September 03, 2011, 07:49:29 AM »
I have a ton of ANS7 to be sorted.  Now, I usually do stacks of 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc, and then work from the last number to the first, building a set out of those stacks from the bottom up, 10 cards at a time.  With ANS5 I had a whole table with 55 stacks of each sticker, which I separated by backs in each stack, so I could be sure every set I packed up was either an "A" or a "B" back version, and had a checklist.  The 80 cards in ANS6 blew that away - the table was too small, and now it's full of boxes of loose Wackys.....

I don't have a lot of original Wackys to sort.  Since I first bought those, as a kid, I've sorted them in checklist order, which is sometimes annoying now.

I enjoy reading these accounts of how we all collect, display, sort, etc. In a hobby that seems as directed by personal compulsions as it is pleasure or relaxation, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one that has definite ways of doing some things. Personally, I may agonize for hours on how ANS 8 Items get organized in a binder, but choosing a color to paint the living room is a 3 minute decision. Anyway, when sorting wacky series, I sort by numbers if it is a numbered set, alphabetically otherwise. On first pass, I separate base, chase sets, and all those sketches into separate stacks. Then sort those, etc. I use the dining room table - 55 stack method. And then my wife starts dropping hints after a week or so on how it would be nice to use that table for some unusual activity, like eating dinner on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:12:34 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #603 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »
I enjoy reading these accounts of how we all collect, display, sort, etc. In a hobby that seems as directed by personal compulsions as it is pleasure or relaxation, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one that has definite ways of doing some things. Personally, I may agonize for hours on how ANS 8 Items get organized in a binder, but choosing a color to paint the living room is a 3 minute decision. Anyway, when sorting wacky series, I sort by numbers if it is a numbered, alphabetically otherwise. On first pass, I separate base, chase sets, and all those sketches into separate stacks. Then sort those, etc. I use the dining room table - 55 stack method. And then my wife starts dropping hints after a week or so on how it would be nice to use that table for some unusual activity, like eating dinner on.

The ironing board is my favorite surface to sort Old School sets.  But, I do end up going to work a little wrinkled sometimes  :-\

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
Ninice mosaic... I can appriciate the time it takes to piece something like this together. Finding the right shaped items so the wackys don't overlap too much takes some patience. Also getting titles grouped together so there is not an over saturation of one or two colors... Etc.
It's one of those things that look simple when done correctly but requires some effort.

Thanks Scot, It was a small labour of love. It was a little harder than i thought it was going to be. It started when i opened a pack and the first 3 cards corners were all bent up. So i heard a small voice in my ear (kinda sounded like plan 9) saying how a Wacky hasnt really lived life untill stuck. So i kept going back to the closet for more. I think there are a few from all ANS, both FB and both OS2.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:34:45 PM by lucidjc »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #605 on: September 07, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
Don't know how many here also collect sports cards, but I'm a big fan of early '70's Topps Baseball sets. Just picked up this beauty. A fantastic example of the PSA 8 grade, unlike most of the PSA 8 wackys I've bought.

Offline Kook

« Reply #606 on: September 07, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
Don't know how many here also collect sports cards, but I'm a big fan of early '70's Topps Baseball sets. Just picked up this beauty. A fantastic example of the PSA 8 grade, unlike most of the PSA 8 wackys I've bought.

(Image removed from quote.)

I haven't collected baseball cards since the 70s, but I do remember watching Reggie on the Yankees in the mid-seventies. Cool card!  :great: I also remember the "Reggie Bar" in the 70s too which looked more like a little chocolate hamburger. Are they still made?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #607 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
I don't think the Reggie bar is still made, but I do remember when the bars were given out at a World Series game and the crowd was tossing them on the field. Ernie can supply the details as I'm a Met fan...

I collected baseball cards heavily for years right after I gave up on wackys (1974-1980). Baseball cards are so much more available in high grade than wackys (if you're willing to pay the price). I love the look of the 1971 set though. 1972 and 1975 are favorites as well.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #608 on: September 07, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Dr. Popper: Wow! That's a lot of Wackys! Really like the sorting tray -- where did you get it?

lucidjc: Very nice collage!  :great:

I've still got stacks of ANS7 and OS2, and now ANS8. One of these days (heh) I am going to do what I did for ANS1-6, which is separate out all the stickers by single number and pick the "best" of each to make my master set and a couple of extras. Much more subtle than with the original series, which is tiring/tedious, but I pick out the most-centered, nicest looking (color/gloss), etc. I'm dreading this a bit for ANS7-8 and OS2 since I have many more stickers than I did with the other sets, but once it is done I am happy.

That's part of the love/hate thing I have going right now for Wackys: where the excess starts turning into work instead of play. ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #609 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
That's why collecting vintage stuff is so much more rewarding. When you can pick from 17 near perfect copies of a sticker to make a set, the challenge is pretty minimal.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #610 on: September 07, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »
Dr. Popper: Wow! That's a lot of Wackys! Really like the sorting tray -- where did you get it?

I think I got them from BCW supplies for like $6.00 each, + shipping of course. 

Offline Crust

« Reply #611 on: September 07, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
I haven't collected baseball cards since the 70s, but I do remember watching Reggie on the Yankees in the mid-seventies. Cool card!  :great: I also remember the "Reggie Bar" in the 70s too which looked more like a little chocolate hamburger. Are they still made?

cool card! I have many of those cards, but sadly they are not in the best of shape :sad:. I collect vintage Topps sports cards from before 1978.So i do like those same years as u too.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2011, 09:36:38 PM »
I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas with my father who attends a convention each year. This was my first trip to Vegas. I asked the bus driver if Plan 9’s studio was part of the tour and he looked confused (Whaaat - no alien girls?!) During my visit on The Strip I scored some new cards, thanks to many friendly folks on the street handing out promos. This series seems to be hot. I’m unsure of the chaser situation or if there are parallels. PM if you have swill to trade. I've got lots of dupes, especially Flower and Bambi. The gold Heather has a couple of dinged corners, but still EX+ according to Ronnie Rocker. I would consider trading it for a motion card.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/LV1.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/LV2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/LV3.jpg[/expando]

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas with my father who attends a convention each year. This was my first trip to Vegas. I asked the bus driver if Plan 9’s studio was part of the tour and he looked confused (Whaaat - no alien girls?!) During my visit on The Strip I scored some new cards, thanks to many friendly folks on the street handing out promos. This series seems to be hot. I’m unsure of the chaser situation or if there are parallels. PM if you have swill to trade. I've got lots of dupes, especially Flower and Bambi. The gold Heather has a couple of dinged corners, but still EX+ according to Ronnie Rocker. I would consider trading it for a motion card.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/LV1.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/LV2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/LV3.jpg[/expando]

No thanks, i got all i need from the cards already.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #614 on: September 23, 2011, 03:05:30 AM »

I'm really waiting for the artwork for Gloria to hit eBay.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #615 on: September 23, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »

Haha, that's funny!  I remember the same thing happening to me when my girlfriend and I went to Vegas a couple years ago.  I think she was starting to get annoyed when she realized I still had them in my pockets and was periodically taking them out to look at them.  Of course being in the print business I told her I was checking them out to see how they were printed!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #616 on: September 23, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »

I may be interested. Do they have clean backs? White or tan is fine.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #617 on: September 23, 2011, 10:19:34 AM »
I may be interested. Do they have clean backs? White or tan is fine.
Faith looks like she has a nice clean white back. She takes credit cards but I wonder if she does Paypal :o

Offline Liquidfox

« Reply #618 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
Whats funny is all the Mexicans (Latinos) handing out the cards and smacking the stacks of them as you walk by. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #619 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »
Whats funny is all the Mexicans (Latinos) handing out the cards and smacking the stacks of them as you walk by. 

I was calling them “Card-Slappers”, as they flipped their cards at pedestrians. The card smacking action must get more people to grab them. My Dad noticed the large numbers of Hispanic employees, and this triggered prolific comments regarding immigration and employment issues. At one point we were in Harrah's and had just left our room, and as we walked down the hall he stopped and spoke to a supervisor and asked her what percentage of the cleaning crew was Mexican. The attractive African American woman replied, “I’d say about eighty.” Then my dad followed with, “I’m not a reporter, and I promise not to quote you on this, but how many would you estimate are illegal?” I was in horror he had the nerve to ask that, and as I walked quickly ahead of them to the elevator, she chuckled and said, “About half” ... I guess this belongs in the Awkward Moments thread. Also, when my father and I passed large groups of touring Asian people, as they filed by, he would try to guess where they were from by asking them, for example, he would say, “Chinese?”. All three times the group was Korean. I would describe one Korean man's reaction to my father's guessing game as an expression akin to, "You idiot"   

I noticed Faith’s card says she’s free, so she’s going into my keeper set and is not available for purchase or trade. I think I will stash these cards in the back of one my binders behind my sheets of Wacky Packages. I don’t want to throw them away; my wife might find them in the trash and get upset. I need to remember which binder they are in, which I’m sure I won’t ... until months or years from now, at some very inappropriate moment.

OK, after this slight diversion, back to TWYC       :happy5:

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #620 on: September 26, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »
I was calling them “Card-Slappers”, as they flipped their cards at pedestrians. The card smacking action must get more people to grab them. My Dad noticed the large numbers of Hispanic employees, and this triggered prolific comments regarding immigration and employment issues. At one point we were in Harrah's and had just left our room, and as we walked down the hall he stopped and spoke to a supervisor and asked her what percentage of the cleaning crew was Mexican. The attractive African American woman replied, “I’d say about eighty.” Then my dad followed with, “I’m not a reporter, and I promise not to quote you on this, but how many would you estimate are illegal?” I was in horror he had the nerve to ask that, and as I walked quickly ahead of them to the elevator, she chuckled and said, “About half” ... I guess this belongs in the Awkward Moments thread. Also, when my father and I passed large groups of touring Asian people, as they filed by, he would try to guess where they were from by asking them, for example, he would say, “Chinese?”. All three times the group was Korean. I would describe one Korean man's reaction to my father's guessing game as an expression akin to, "You idiot"   

I noticed Faith’s card says she’s free, so she’s going into my keeper set and is not available for purchase or trade. I think I will stash these cards in the back of one my binders behind my sheets of Wacky Packages. I don’t want to throw them away; my wife might find them in the trash and get upset. I need to remember which binder they are in, which I’m sure I won’t ... until months or years from now, at some very inappropriate moment.

OK, after this slight diversion, back to TWYC       :happy5:

I am convinced they infuse the Las Vegas air with inhibition-inhibitors.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: September 26, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »
I am convinced they infuse the Las Vegas air with inhibition-inhibitors.
what do you think those outdoor spray-misters are for, to keep you cool?? inhibition-inhibitors!! ;D

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #622 on: September 26, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »
                                And why in the blank did you stay at Harrahs?              Circus Circus
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #623 on: September 26, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
The gold Heather has a couple of dinged corners, but still EX+ according to Ronnie Rocker.

That's probably a lot better grade than Heather herself would get.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #624 on: September 26, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »
That's probably a lot better grade than Heather herself would get.
From the looks of her, I'd give her a XXX+.

Las Vegas, the land of slots...both types.

OK, enough of that...

Offline Crust

« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
From the looks of her, I'd give her a XXX+.

Las Vegas, the land of slots...both types.

OK, enough of that...

Ha nice one! :D

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
Completed the ANS8 box and pack set this week. Not too bad, 9 boxes, 2 blisters and 7 packs.

Offline TIED..up

« Reply #627 on: September 30, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »
Nice!!!!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #628 on: September 30, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
Completed the ANS8 box and pack set this week. Not too bad, 9 boxes, 2 blisters and 7 packs.

If you are interested, you are missing the BLACK W/sticker Wal-Mart box.

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: October 02, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
If you are interested, you are missing the BLACK W/sticker Wal-Mart box.
I don't think I've ever seen what the sticker looks like on the front of that box. Do you have a pic?

anything