Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576679 times)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #560 on: July 04, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
I finally got my framed pack collection put up on the wall.  Here are some pics from my home office.

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #561 on: July 04, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
Here is a piece I picked up on Ebay a few weeks back. It's from the same guy I got the Lipoff art from. The guy had no idea about who drew it but I'm positive it was Art Spiegelman. Jay thinks so as well and is going to check in with Art. It's from Topps from the 1960s. We are trying to establish if this has a relation to Wackys. Here is what Jay wrote me:

The Art thing is likely from before they finalized how heavy a parody the Wackys would be.  Originally they intended to do actual products.  Art and Len Brown wanted to do parody products.  Likely Art came up with milder parodies (kind of like the stuff on the foldies) before getting into heavy MAD mag style parodies....and I'M KEEN might have been one of those.  We also did a series of little stickers where the kid gets a bunch of 'em on a card...and they say stuff about how great the kid is.  I think they were called Stick 'em Ups...or something like that.  This might be a rough for that series.  These were later released in the U.K. in the '80s..."Save the Whales....and win valuable prizes"  gags like that.

So it could be a proto rough image as they were developing Wackys or something for another series from that era. Either way it's a cool piece. Hopefully Art will remember what it is exactly.

This has been for sale for months if not years on ebay.  Why did you suddenly decide to buy it this time around?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #562 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
Nice!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #563 on: July 04, 2011, 02:13:26 PM »
I finally got my framed pack collection put up on the wall.  Here are some pics from my home office.

Nice Wacky display, and wow, I sure like that trio of Zeppelins - really nice!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #564 on: July 04, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
Nice Wacky display, and wow, I sure like that trio of Zeppelins - really nice!

Those pictures were made from actual scans of the stamps in my collection.  I scanned them in at about 1500 dpi and then took the file to a photo print center and had them print them up for me in poster size.  I then cut the poster into three pieces and found some frames to fit them.  The whole project cost about $50.

I've had people ask me if I would consider making them and selling them but I think I would need to sell the set for about $100 to make it worth my while.  The question is, would anybody be willing to pay $100 for a set of pictures like that?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #565 on: July 04, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
PART 1:
Jean Nutty and I have discussed before that there really should be a separate category for people to post pictures of how they display their collections. "This week in Your Collection" is a bit of a stretch but a better fit than any other category.

Since it is drizzly here in Indiana this afternoon, I had some time to snap a few pictures. There is a room in our house we call the "media room" because its where our library of books is; all our video tapes/laserdiscs/DVDs/blurays; and all our music casettes/CDs. This is also the room where the computer desk is located and our sewing machine. Its a 10 foot by 18 foot room CRAMMED full of stuff. Over the years my wife has started referring to it as the man cave because any spare wall space has become consumed with either the aforementioned media items, or displays of my collectable junk.

This room is a bit odd shaped with some weird features. The strange angles you see and triangles that seem to come out of nowhere, are because we live in a dome home. The downstairs is basically a large pentagon. Each of the 5 sections can either be stubbed off, or can be extended into a larger room that juts away from the main dome.  This room is at one of the "stubbed" ends. The triangles are where the exterior wall/roof angles into the next part of the dome.

Please realize that this is a growing, mutating monstrosity with no overall planning. It is more of an evolving omeaba rather than an orchestrated museum. Likewise, please don't expect museum like displays as we have no benefactors or philanthropic patrons to fund such efforts. Mostly just wood, screws, nails, tape and some occasional plastic.

You will also note there are not many Wacky Package items on display. Most of my Wacky Package collection resides in binders due to the nature of the items. You will see some WP items scattered amidst the other items but for the most part, these pictures just show the non-card or flat product parody items I have emassed over the years that do not lend themselves to being placed in a binder.

I'll start the tour with the Monty Python "shrine" as the family members call it. Its actually a pretty modest collection of MP items and takes up one corner of the room.

Next, a cup collection. Note how the cups are strategically stacked to allow room for the curtain.

Next are two credit card props used in the TV show DINOSAURS (sorry for the glare) and a set of Merry Mats, from the '50s. These were coasters with magazine parodies on them.

Now we move to the music wing of the media room. SILLY CDs above the wall mounted cassettes and CDs. A few box sets can be seen from some comedy greats

CONTINUED ON NEXT MESSAGE
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:56:45 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #566 on: July 04, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

PART 2:
Now over to the video vault of the media room. You can see $ILLY SAVER banks and WACKY JIGSAW PUZZLES above the wall mounted DVDs and Bluray discs. To the left, is a shelf with some oddball ceramic parody banks. The door shown is only 1 foot wide and is just a small storage closet. The 2nd picture shows that, wherever there is space large enough for something to go on it, it does.  Nature obhores a vacume and Man Caves abhore white space.

The corner inbetween the music wall and the video wall became the home of mini cereal box parodies of various kinds (Star Wars Convention, Wacky Packages, Cereal Killers, and Zilly Zereals ) A set of Goofy Groceries is also thrown in for good measure. These are in the acrylic full-size cereal box displays they sell for things like Wheaties boxes.

On the other side of the Monty Python shrine are some display cases containing miscellaneous items. Some of the closer photos make the display cases seem somewhat warped. In the cases are several Fleer sets like Crazy Cans, Chug-a-Cans, Crazy Spray Cans, Crazy TV Dinners, and Crazy Videos. You will also see Stupid Soaps, and Wacky Packages Erasers. One of the smaller display cases holds misc. parody buttons and magnets. The black display case contains Monty Python related 2 inch buttons.

CONTINUED NEXT MESSAGE

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #567 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
PART 3:
This photos shows some display boxes above a VHS tape cabinet, along with a Wack Packages Jaymar Puzzle and a Jay Lynch "Toadsie Roll Slop" colored sketch.

This room also has an odd overhang in it where an air vent goes through the room. Here are some Misc. Wacky Package items strategically placed to make it more festive.

A Door leading into the furnace/water heater utility room...

A final parting shot of two corners of the room. Please watch your step as you leave and feel free to leave a contribution in the jar.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
                                VERY VERY NICE I WILL NEVER PUT YOU ON IGNORE AGAIN
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
PART 3:
This photos shows some display boxes above a VHS tape cabinet, along with a Wack Packages Jaymar Puzzle and a Jay Lynch "Toadsie Roll Slop" colored sketch.

This room also has an odd overhand in it where an air vent goes through the room. Here are some Misc. Wacky Package items strategically placed to make it more festive.

A Door leading into the furnace/water heater utility room...

A final parting shot of two corners of the room. Please watch your step as you leave and feel free to leave a contribution in the jar.

Man, you have one of those rooms that would be really cool to visit.  It looks like part of a collectors museum.  Very nice job.

PS - I have that set on the way this week.  I just remembered I haven't mailed it yet!  I must have forgot to write myself a note.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #570 on: July 04, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Please watch your step as you leave and feel free to leave a contribution in the jar.

Thanks for the tour! Tell your wife the hour devours were delicious. The Canadian coins in the tip jar are from me - I never know what to do with them.

Cool shots of your displays. I saw many parody items I’m not familiar with. On your computer monitor, it looks like you are bidding on Old School sketches on eBay. It’s hard to believe you need a sketch that Brad doesn’t have available.

Also, the Spotted Owl Helper, Kung Fu evolution clock, and the Amy Grant cassette were highlights for me . . .

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #571 on: July 04, 2011, 08:54:56 PM »
Thanks for the tour! Tell your wife the hour devours were delicious. The Canadian coins in the tip jar are from me - I never know what to do with them.

Cool shots of your displays. I saw many parody items I’m not familiar with. On your computer monitor, it looks like you are bidding on Old School sketches on eBay. It’s hard to believe you need a sketch that Brad doesn’t have available.

Also, the Spotted Owl Helper, Kung Fu evolution clock, and the Amy Grant cassette were highlights for me . . .

Kung Fu clock actually an evolution of Silly Walks clock, thus the inclusion in the Monty Python wing. I can see how the two are almost indistinguishable. As for the Amy Grant, gotta plead "wife" on that one.  Oh, thanks a lot for the Canadian coins, hoser. Ummm, I hate to mention it but, those that ate the salmon pate have been feeling a bit peckish.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #572 on: July 04, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »
This has been for sale for months if not years on ebay.  Why did you suddenly decide to buy it this time around?

Never saw it before. I don't dig around Ebay at all anymore.

I did get confirmation that it is by Art by Art himself. Jay is going to see if he can get Art to sign it for me and he wants a better look at it to see if he remembers what it's from.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #573 on: July 04, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
Kung Fu clock actually an evolution of Silly Walks clock, thus the inclusion in the Monty Python wing. I can see how the two are almost indistinguishable. As for the Amy Grant, gotta plead "wife" on that one.  Oh, thanks a lot for the Canadian coins, hoser. Ummm, I hate to mention it but, those that ate the salmon pate have been feeling a bit peckish.

I had the salmon.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #574 on: July 05, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »

Just to be clear.
I did t see a screen shot of you bidding on OLDS2.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #575 on: July 05, 2011, 03:12:51 AM »
Just to be clear.
I did t see a screen shot of you bidding on OLDS2.

I was lookin' but no biddin'... the prices are still really out of wack on many of the sketches I was
looking at.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #576 on: July 05, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
Awesome display there Scoot!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
I was lookin' but no biddin' . . .

That excuse works for you?

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
I won this auction recently, for what I thought was a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120740834655&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

But I wasn't expecting all the 3rd series stickers to have WHITE BACKS!!! Yee Haw!!!    ;)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »
But I wasn't expecting all the 3rd series stickers to have WHITE BACKS!!! Yee Haw!!!    ;)
Nice score!! That was a decent price even if they're all tans...

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #580 on: July 19, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
Neveready still one of my all-time favorite Wackys. Probably because we used nothing but the exact Eveready batteries it was parodying in every single model, etc., me and my brother had as kids.  :great:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
I won this auction recently, for what I thought was a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120740834655&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Interesting how it's a bunch of dupes of the 3 double prints. Looks like someone opened a 3rd series box, put together sets and had these left over? Must have happened in 1973.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #582 on: July 25, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »
And it doesn't look like it is scored either, which may be indicative of a proof sheet.
This has now gotten VERY interesting.  I found that a 13th white back that I had in my stash of perceived resticks and fakes is a single card that has this transparency front instead of the standard sticker stock.  Any chance these were actually in packs?  It is very easy to miss these as first glance, it looks like a normal sticker but when you look closely, you can see there is definitely something unique about it so I peeled a corner and waaalah, transparency and this one is diecut!

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »
This has now gotten VERY interesting.  I found that a 13th white back that I had in my stash of perceived resticks and fakes is a single card that has this transparency front instead of the standard sticker stock.  Any chance these were actually in packs?  It is very easy to miss these as first glance, it looks like a normal sticker but when you look closely, you can see there is definitely something unique about it so I peeled a corner and waaalah, transparency and this one is diecut!

That is weird.  Aside from the fact that the die-cut is somewhat separated you can't tell its any different from the scan.  I wonder if it can be some kind of weird paper stock they used, although I'm not sure what paper like that would be used for. 

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
« Reply #584 on: July 27, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
Interesting how it's a bunch of dupes of the 3 double prints. Looks like someone opened a 3rd series box, put together sets and had these left over? Must have happened in 1973.

I agree, I wish there had been a Dr Ono or Spit & Spill ;) Does anyone know this seller? I've seen a lot of his auctions for high priced proofs and what not. He seems to have a ton of cool Original Wacky stuff.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #585 on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
That is weird.  Aside from the fact that the die-cut is somewhat separated you can't tell its any different from the scan.  I wonder if it can be some kind of weird paper stock they used, although I'm not sure what paper like that would be used for. 

Look closely at the white border around the sticker.  It is more beige than white and not due to "beiging".  It is because it is totally clear and the actual color comes from the white sticker backing.  I am on the trail of another single sticker and trying to find out where they came from to see if the trail leads back to the guy that I got the sheets or if they go in another direction.  The single sticker depicted here doesn't have the edge and corner crispness that one would expect if it were cut somewhat recently from an uncut sheet so this is giving me reason to thing these could be a paper stock variety that just hasn't been noticed til now. 13th whitebacks are rare as it is so this may take quite some time to find out if there are other 13th whites with this paper stock variation. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #586 on: August 07, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »
I scored a bitchin’ Halloween sketch card from Brad recently, and a 5X7 GPK card that Dr Sushi’s family might appreciate.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/HalloweenSketchWitch.jpg[/expando]  [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/HookedGPK1.jpg[/expando]  [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/HookedGPK2.jpg[/expando]

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #587 on: August 07, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
I scored a bitchin’ Halloween sketch card from Brad recently, and a 5X7 GPK card that Dr Sushi’s family might appreciate.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/HalloweenSketchWitch.jpg[/expando]  [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/HookedGPK1.jpg[/expando]  [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/HookedGPK2.jpg[/expando]

Yeah, it looks like those fellas may be related to at least the bigger of my 2 fish.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #588 on: September 01, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »

I finally took on a much needed project and organized my extra cards.  I had some in boxes, some on my desk, etc., but they weren't really sorted or organized at all.  I built some racks to keep them organized and handy to access, and I put labels on them to make it easier to see what they are.  Sorting all of the series took a LONG time, but I'm glad it's done.  I don't have all of my extras in these compartments as some of the common base sets are sorted and stored in cardboard card boxes.................. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #589 on: September 01, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
I finally took on a much needed project and organized my extra cards.  I had some in boxes, some on my desk, etc., but they weren't really sorted or organized at all.  I built some racks to keep them organized and handy to access, and I put labels on them to make it easier to see what they are.  Sorting all of the series took a LONG time, but I'm glad it's done.  I don't have all of my extras in these compartments as some of the common base sets are sorted and stored in cardboard card boxes.................. 

One weekend I meshed together all of the collections I had purchased over time.  Nearly 10,000 series 1-16 stickers.  They are now sorted alphabetically within each series making it a snap for me to pull out sets and singles as needed.  Now that was one intense sorting weekend so I can relate to what you had to go through.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #590 on: September 01, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »

very nice.
that's a pretty cool looking faux box too!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #591 on: September 01, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
very nice.
that's a pretty cool looking faux box too!
Agreed.  Mine series 1-16 surplus are just in 5000 count boxes which are boring to the eye.  Rob's layout is quite ornate!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #592 on: September 01, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »
I finally got around to getting my unopened packs framed.  I put the packs into 130-pt top-loaders.  I then got a piece of black foam-board that was the same thickness as the top-loaders.  I cut six holes in the foam-board that would snugly hold the top-loaders.  I then put the whole thing into an 11 x 14 frame.

I think it came out pretty good!

(Image removed from quote.)

Break glass in case of a Wacky Emergency !   LOOKS GREAT !!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #593 on: September 01, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »

I had the salmon.

That was quite the tour, but I also had the Salmon Moose.  :o
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #594 on: September 01, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

anything