Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576627 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #525 on: June 09, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
Sheesh. I post what might be the very first ever Wacky Packages rough and no one has any thoughts on it? Where are all the people that like to talk about original series finds?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #526 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Sheesh. I post what might be the very first ever Wacky Packages rough and no one has any thoughts on it? Where are all the people that like to talk about original series finds?

Are you referring to the rough for I'm Keen?  That looked to me kind of like one of the Silly Put-On stickers Topps did in 1968.  That may have been one that didn't make it in the set..................

http://www.bubblegumcards.org/PutOnStickers.html
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #527 on: June 09, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
Are you referring to the rough for I'm Keen?  That looked to me kind of like one of the Silly Put-On stickers Topps did in 1968.  That may have been one that didn't make it in the set..................

http://www.bubblegumcards.org/PutOnStickers.html

Yep, that one. As Jay said it could be from that but also could have been an early concept for Wackys. He is going to talk to Art about it. There was supposedly a lot of cross pollination between series where an idea from one formed an idea to another (like GPK coming from that one Wacky sticker). I hope to find out more from it soon. Either way I feel it's definitely a Spiegelman color drawing.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #529 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »

I was waiting to see what you found out about it. There is no signature or initials. Anyone could have drawn it.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #530 on: June 17, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
I finally got around to getting my unopened packs framed.  I put the packs into 130-pt top-loaders.  I then got a piece of black foam-board that was the same thickness as the top-loaders.  I cut six holes in the foam-board that would snugly hold the top-loaders.  I then put the whole thing into an 11 x 14 frame.

I think it came out pretty good!

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #531 on: June 17, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »
I finally got around to getting my unopened packs framed.  I put the packs into 130-pt top-loaders.  I then got a piece of black foam-board that was the same thickness as the top-loaders.  I cut six holes in the foam-board that would snugly hold the top-loaders.  I then put the whole thing into an 11 x 14 frame.

(Image removed from quote.)

:clap:

Looks great!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #532 on: June 18, 2011, 01:08:51 AM »

That is really nice!

I’ve been thinking we need a thread dedicated to displays. This is a great place to post them.

Foam board is a lot of fun, and I’ve just recently begun to use the black stuff. I have a Slacker Jack puzzle on my floor right now I’m going to stick on some black foam board this weekend. I wonder if good ol' white glue will work or maybe I’ll try some spray adhesive. (Hmmm, I need to find a phone booth to stick the stickers on. Are phone booths still around? I might have to resort to the drive-thru menus or the doors of vacant cop cars parked outside Starbucks)

BTW, I would be interested to hear of any good sources for postcard size top loaders or ideas/photos of how people display their puzzles. Hey, is there a top loader the size of a puzzle?! Now that would be cool! I know, I know, I’m askin’ for the world…

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:11 AM »

I like that a lot!!  It's especially nice that you have all different color wrappers.  Might have to try something similar myself someday.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2011, 04:26:25 AM »
That is really nice!

I’ve been thinking we need a thread dedicated to displays. This is a great place to post them.

Foam board is a lot of fun, and I’ve just recently begun to use the black stuff. I have a Slacker Jack puzzle on my floor right now I’m going to stick on some black foam board this weekend. I wonder if good ol' white glue will work or maybe I’ll try some spray adhesive. (Hmmm, I need to find a phone booth to stick the stickers on. Are phone booths still around? I might have to resort to the drive-thru menus or the doors of vacant cop cars parked outside Starbucks)

BTW, I would be interested to hear of any good sources for postcard size top loaders or ideas/photos of how people display their puzzles. Hey, is there a top loader the size of a puzzle?! Now that would be cool! I know, I know, I’m askin’ for the world…

There are definitely toploaders large enough for puzzles.  I got a great catalog at the Allentown show last year that included all different supplies, including frames with matting already cut out for multiple cards.  I will look for that, and post the address when I find it.

Meanwhile, for basic storage supplies like different size and thinkness toploaders, check out  http://www.bcwsupplies.com

Offline Crust

« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »

:o  :great: Man that looks awesome!!! Sadly i do not have any unopened packs, or even a wrapper.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #536 on: June 18, 2011, 09:06:06 AM »
Nor do I have any wrappers.  Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time and relive the days of taking pop bottles to the carry out to exchange for money for Wackys.  It is so vivid in my memory, collecting series 1 as a kid.  Looking at the checklist and being excited thinking about what titles would look like and was never disappointed opening those original 1st series packs.  The magic remains back with the original series Wackys, although I do appreciate the modern ones, its more of a business today and that kind of ruins it for me.  I think with the next sets that come out, I will just get base sets off of ebay.  God knows I have enough leftover ANS and flashback stuff to start a bonfire.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #537 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
It's like an Andy Warhol painting!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #538 on: June 18, 2011, 03:29:21 PM »

Here are some pictures of puzzles that I have framed.  These were all Flashback and ANS puzzles.  I peeled the stickers and borders off the front side and then used a glue-stick to paste the puzzle to construction paper.  I then put them in cheap $3 document frames from Walmart.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #539 on: June 18, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »
I like that a lot!!  It's especially nice that you have all different color wrappers.  Might have to try something similar myself someday.

That was my O.S. pack collecting goal.  To get one pack of each color.  I put them into the display in the order that the colors were released:

Red
Yellow
Blue
Orange
Green
Purple

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »

make sure you have that special glass that blocks the suns UV rays or your stuff will fade.  (not sure if they call it museum glass or archival glass) but do look into it.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #541 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:34 AM »
I found the catalog I mentioned - www.BagsUnlimited.com .  They have all kinds of items for storage and display of toys, coins, paper collectables, sports stuff, video/audio, etc.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #542 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:41 AM »
I just scored this jumbo sized sketch card the other day. It's so much more refined than all the other sketch cards I've seen and I got it for the same price as the little rough ones! Also for some reason Topps printed thousands of copies of this one so it's way more famous than any of the other sketch cards.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #543 on: June 20, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
Is that one as large as the Rat Guard? I'd love to see one of his pieces in person.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
Is that one as large as the Rat Guard? I'd love to see one of his pieces in person.
Indeed it is. The artboard measures 12"x18". I don't have it yet but I can post a better photo of it later. I asked Edmiston for a scan but haven't heard back yet. Similar in scale to my Scary Garcia, Choppertone and Sweet N Slow paintings.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
Indeed it is. The artboard measures 12"x18". I don't have it yet but I can post a better photo of it later. I asked Edmiston for a scan but haven't heard back yet. Similar in scale to my Scary Garcia, Choppertone and Sweet N Slow paintings.
Now you just have to worry which letters will fall off. No doubt this guy is an amazing talent. His detail is fantastic. My kids had no idea the Rat Guard was a painting. The only thing is the gag. I don't know if they are that strong. I just love the art!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:29:40 PM by BumChex »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
Now you just have to worry which letters will fall off. No doubt this guy is an amazing talent. His detail is fantastic. My kids had no idea the Rat Guard was a painting. The only thing is the gag. I don't know if they are that strong. I just love the art!

I'm concerned about the lettering too. But if they're okay when it arrives then that might not ever change. However, if any start to slip I know Jason will do his best to fix it. He's supposedly looking into a better way to apply lettering. I suggested he paint the text but he said that would be too hard. That's odd coming from a guy who does such tight work and paints so large. I did my Wacky paintings at the same scale and I found it pretty easy to paint text and I don't even have a steady hand.

Yeah the Clunky and Rat Guard gags aren't my favorite but I never found any Wacky gag to hold it's funny for long. I can appreciate the art for a long time though. I'm not sure Wacky Packs are supposed to only be comedic and nothing more. I think they can be much more. Anyway, Smokin Joe designed those gags and he had a much better rat character planned. Also his muscle guy would have been more like Blunder Bread. I don't like the Blunder Bread guy but I know he's popular with other collectors. I like the realistic goofy guy Edmiston did. If Zapata had been worth his salt as an art director he would have instructed Edmiston to make his characters wackier. I hope the new guy is better at directing the artists than he was.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #547 on: June 24, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Here's a closer look at the Clunky art. Now that I see it up close I can tell that it would be an easy fix for me if any come loose. They're not rub-on letters. The text is printed on a strip of paper and attached to the art. Also see below some other lovely treasures recently acquired.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #548 on: June 25, 2011, 03:38:54 AM »
Here's a closer look at the Clunky art. Now that I see it up close I can tell that it would be an easy fix for me if any come loose. They're not rub-on letters. The text is printed on a strip of paper and attached to the art. Also see below some other lovely treasures recently acquired.

Sweet on all counts!

By the way, aside from sketch cards I made small character design contributions to OLDS2 including the ones on Lush, based on Dave's thumbnail sketch and description.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #549 on: June 25, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
Sweet on all counts!

By the way, aside from sketch cards I made small character design contributions to OLDS2 including the ones on Lush, based on Dave's thumbnail sketch and description.

Nice work. If those were done on official sketch cards the "Sketchies" (Brad, Leslie, etc) would probably like them more than the final paintings. It's obvious there's more excitement for the doodle cards than for the photos I posted above.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:02:14 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #550 on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »
All 3 are classic titles, congrats!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #551 on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
Sweet on all counts!

nice designs!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #552 on: June 25, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
Nice work. If those were done on official sketch cards the "Sketchies" (Brad, Leslie, etc) would probably like them more than the final paintings. It's obvious there's more excitement for the doodle cards than for the photos I posted above.

Some how I feel this post is condicending  :-\

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2011, 01:32:42 AM »
Some how I feel this post is condicending  :-\
Spell check, Brad.
The term "sketchies" is only condescending if you don't like having a name attached to your fandom. I think the term is harmless. Like Trekkies.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #554 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:02 AM »

These are fantastic.  I still think there's amazing relative value in the art versus the sketches, but that's just my opinion.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
Spell check, Brad.
The term "sketchies" is only condescending if you don't like having a name attached to your fandom. I think the term is harmless. Like Trekkies.

It’s sketchy to imply certain folks would want a rough drawing over the final painting, because, to most people, only a fool would prefer owning a pencil illustration by Da Vinci to owning the Mona Lisa

IMHO      :happy5:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
It’s sketchy to imply certain folks would want a rough drawing over the final painting, because, to most people, only a fool would prefer owning a pencil illustration by Da Vinci to owning the Mona Lisa

Actually, art is not part of a set so a lot of collectors don't collect art. They like to collect cards that are part of a series. It's the whole collect series mentality. I'm a series collector but I also like the art. Once you buy one painting and see it in person you will be hooked. The paintings are more vibrant than the cards. It's like night and day. If you look at the Grave nuts card, it's dark around the top and side of the box and the logo doesn't really show the highlights. The art is not dark around the top or sides. It's beautiful!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »

Not in this neighborhood. Higher prices have been paid for doodles than for big glorious paintings. The very images that Topps took pictures of to make the cards! Are collectors just celebrating 2x3 pieces of paper? The paintings ARE Wacky Packs. There are no Wacky Packs without these works. The sketch cards are not Wacky Packs.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2011, 06:33:57 AM »
Not in this neighborhood. Higher prices have been paid for doodles than for big glorious paintings. The very images that Topps took pictures of to make the cards! Are collectors just celebrating 2x3 pieces of paper? The paintings ARE Wacky Packs. There are no Wacky Packs without these works. The sketch cards are not Wacky Packs.

Yah but the sketch cards are so cooooooooooooooool!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »
Actually, art is not part of a set so a lot of collectors don't collect art. They like to collect cards that are part of a series. It's the whole collect series mentality. I'm a series collector but I also like the art. Once you buy one painting and see it in person you will be hooked. The paintings are more vibrant than the cards. It's like night and day. If you look at the Grave nuts card, it's dark around the top and side of the box and the logo doesn't really show the highlights. The art is not dark around the top or sides. It's beautiful!

There are ways to help that issue of having the printed piece come out darker than the original art.  They use dot compensation to offset the fact that the ink will bleed slightly, making the colors blend together and slightly darker.  Of course it will never be exactly like the art but it shouldn't be that noticeably darker. 

anything