Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576301 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #1575 on: November 07, 2021, 09:37:42 PM »
Can you explain what a Kiss Cut is?
A

That's the cut that allows the Wacky sticker to peel away from the backing in a special shape, instead of the whole front peeling off, like the current stickers do.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1576 on: November 07, 2021, 09:38:58 PM »
Doesn’t this ring any bells??

Oooh, that's nice!!  Another item to add to my pack wish list.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:40:59 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #1577 on: November 07, 2021, 11:44:19 PM »
That's the cut that allows the Wacky sticker to peel away from the backing in a special shape, instead of the whole front peeling off, like the current stickers do.

Thanks Pat -
A

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1578 on: November 08, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »
And also a cut that does not go all the way through the paper, like with a die-cut.
The sheet is ‘kissed’ by the cutter, incising just the top layer and not the bottom

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #1579 on: November 08, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
I have heard that doing the cuts in the shapes is quite expensive, which is why  they are no longer doing those for the weekly and monthly sets. Has anyone ever heard of any sales figures on any of the ANS series, how high sales would have to be to justify going back to kiss cuts and distribution in stores? I know 500-600 sets isn’t gonna bring it back….

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #1580 on: November 08, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
And also a cut that does not go all the way through the paper, like with a die-cut.
The sheet is ‘kissed’ by the cutter, incising just the top layer and not the bottom

Good to know the difference between kiss cut and diecut!
A

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1581 on: November 09, 2021, 06:54:34 AM »
I remember years ago I was reluctant to ask on the forum what "kiss cut" means.

I didn't want to feel foolish and reveal I don't know all there is to know.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1582 on: November 09, 2021, 05:13:34 PM »
I remember years ago I was reluctant to ask on the forum what "kiss cut" means.

I didn't want to feel foolish and reveal I don't know all there is to know.

I’ve only heard the term used in the past few years, but I always assumed the definition correctly, a rarity for me.  But if Topps continued making their Wackys the right way and included those perimeter cuts so that the Wacky could be peeled, we probably wouldn’t be hearing the term much because no attention would have been drawn to it.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1583 on: December 11, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »
Very hard one to get in high condition, fresh back from PSA.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1584 on: December 11, 2021, 11:30:18 PM »

Beautiful!!!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1585 on: December 12, 2021, 02:32:42 AM »

Incredible. That 10 would have been an accomplishment years ago, but even more so now because of how strict they’ve gotten!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1586 on: December 12, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
Incredible. That 10 would have been an accomplishment years ago, but even more so now because of how strict they’ve gotten!
You are so right.  I got a bunch of 9s and 8s but when I saw that 10, especially for what card it was.  Well lets say that I was impressed.

Offline Kook

« Reply #1587 on: December 12, 2021, 08:33:37 PM »

Grade aside, nicely centered & great eye appeal, which is the toughest to get for this title IMO.
Congrats Joe

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #1588 on: December 13, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »
Good one! How long did it take them to get you your graded card back???

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1589 on: December 13, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »
I sent this one in with a bunch of other cards in October of 2020.  I t didn't get entered into the system until February of 2021.  I Just got them back last week.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #1590 on: December 13, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »
That's ridiculous. Don't they know grading cards is an essential function in our economy??

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1591 on: December 13, 2021, 11:59:07 AM »
Just received this today...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1592 on: December 13, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
So does that mean that the year that a card got graded also effects the value?
New 10s are worth more than old 10s?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #1593 on: December 13, 2021, 04:09:47 PM »

Wow as much as I am not a PSA fan, happy for you!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #1594 on: December 13, 2021, 04:15:10 PM »
EXACTLY!!!!  The PSA assigned number will now matter!  PSA can be stricter, less strict, whatever the hell they want, trust me, the strictness will relax when the backlog empties....right now they really don't want new submissions hence the price deterring people from submitting.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #1595 on: December 13, 2021, 07:52:49 PM »
Is there ANY chance a second company can enter the market? It happened in comics…

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1596 on: December 13, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
Just received this today...

A very I ionic card.  Nice 8

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1597 on: December 13, 2021, 09:00:59 PM »
Is there ANY chance a second company can enter the market? It happened in comics…
I think what will keep other companies at bay is the registry.  Without that feature, I don't think PSA would be as relevant.  You mentioned comics.  I know one company is more desirable than the other, however you will still keep both companies in the same collection.  Where as in cards if you are building a registry set you will only obtain in PSA.  Hence if they don't get the prices down people won't send to them and other companies will take market share. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1598 on: December 13, 2021, 09:02:41 PM »
Wow as much as I am not a PSA fan, happy for you!
Thanks Ernie,
I know that was from the heart as I know you really hate grading and encapsulating cards. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1599 on: December 13, 2021, 09:08:11 PM »
Interesting hypothesis,  I think only time will tell.  On lower grade cards you might notice it but on upper graded cards I am not so sure.  Now since PSA has a hiatus on qualified cards, people are noticing a whole bunch more 5's and 6's.  Where as these same cards might have been PSA 8(OC) or (ST) or even (MC).  With those designations not being given out right now it makes seem like PSA is Strict when all it is, is a lack of Qualified cards with a higher grade the the Qualifier attached.  Looking back at my last two submissions and then looking at the corresponding cards.  I do think that my theory does hold enough water to warrant further checking on. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #1600 on: December 14, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
Thanks Ernie,
I know that was from the heart as I know you really hate grading and encapsulating cards.
I think encapsulating is fine, paying someone to tell you the grade of your card when that firm isn't even using consistent standards when you already have a great eye for it is the part I don't get.  Encapsulate the best cards you can find that meet your eye appeal and save thousands of $!  I get it, the competition of the registry is what people are really paying for but does that registry really hold any water given the lack of consistency in grading standards and scales? 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1601 on: December 14, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
I think encapsulating is fine, paying someone to tell you the grade of your card when that firm isn't even using consistent standards when you already have a great eye for it is the part I don't get.  Encapsulate the best cards you can find that meet your eye appeal and save thousands of $!  I get it, the competition of the registry is what people are really paying for but does that registry really hold any water given the lack of consistency in grading standards and scales?
If it wasn't for thee registry, I will be honest, I would not care for the grading on the cards as much.  I know this because if I get a card graded that I need for my set,and it is graded by another company.  I will not consider that I have that card until it is crossed over to PSA.  I know it is quirky, but it is how I am built.  I am also thinking it has to do with the hunt.  I am sure you would understand this.  We both have enough cards to make more than one ungraded sets.(1-16). I know I can build many of those.  However my registry set is the only one that I am constantly upgrading.  I do not upgrade the ungraded sets at all.  I feel those are completed and that is all.  The PSA set is graded and it gives me a measurable target to shoot for.  Like that Leeks Oil, we both know that the card is usually very off center and as such hard to have a well centered piece.  However a 10 does have to fit certain qualifications to be labeled a 10, no matter how much we think they are forgiving or strict.  I does have to first fit those parameters to be considered.  This also makes the hunt for them even more fun.  ( as I said when I buy a 2000 piece collection, I truly do not need another 1-16 set.  But the upgrade of a card or even the thrill of the upgrade (after it is sent in) is what makes me enjoy this hobby.  I have cards in my discard piles that I know will grade 7s and people would love to have them in their collections as their keepers.  However to me I just want the mint or higher and that is what I will subscribe to.  Now if I put a collection of really nice cards and said "this is a Mint set, I want X amount for it".  Or if I have a graded set and said I want X amount for it, which one of those two set would I likely get the greatest return for my work, (factoring in everything from cost of card to cost of grading) I feel I will get a higher return with the graded set by multiples.  I also on a Sunday do enjoy going thru the cards to find the prime specimens..

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1602 on: December 26, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »
A new addition to the collection...

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #1603 on: December 27, 2021, 11:24:58 AM »
A new addition to the collection...

Nice!  I would like to get my die cut 1-44 graded, but I have heard horror stories about PSA as of late.... 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1604 on: January 29, 2022, 11:38:45 AM »
My computer is being a pain in the ass currently, so I cannot post a scan, but here’s something I received this week…

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1605 on: March 06, 2022, 02:06:29 PM »
Just to quiet the crickets in this thread for a little bit, here's one of a couple 1st tans I picked up recently...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1606 on: March 06, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »
My computer is being a pain in the ass currently, so I cannot post a scan, but here’s something I received this week…

There were several Wackys that frightened me as an impressionable 6-7 year old, but I think this one terrified me the most.  The 5th had the majority of these scary Wackys.  I was ‘spared’ from seeing a few other scary ones until I was older and could ‘handle’ them more easily.  Hostile Twinkies being a prime example.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1607 on: March 06, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »
There were several Wackys that frightened me as an impressionable 6-7 year old, but I think this one terrified me the most.  The 5th had the majority of these scary Wackys.  I was ‘spared’ from seeing a few other scary ones until I was older and could ‘handle’ them more easily.  Hostile Twinkies being a prime example.
Yeah, "Hostile Thinkies, the snack cake for zombies!"

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1608 on: March 09, 2022, 04:49:12 PM »

It's ironic that you note that because the 5th series my first complete set when I was younger. To this day, it's still one of my favorites (if not my favorite).

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1609 on: March 09, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
It's ironic that you note that because the 5th series my first complete set when I was younger. To this day, it's still one of my favorites (if not my favorite).
The 5th is one of my favorite series too, possibly #1 as you also mention.  The fear factor is something that I look back on fondly now, and it definitely strengthened my recall of many of the titles, due to that emotional impact.  But some of the non-violent ones are favorites too, like Glutton Mustard, Head & Boulders, Smith Sisters and several others.

anything