Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576512 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #1540 on: September 27, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »
Brian Mc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1541 on: September 27, 2021, 11:52:01 PM »
Probably not the best place to post this...

Should be posted in the thread, "Coolest Wacky Package item"  :o :o :o

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1542 on: September 28, 2021, 02:48:20 PM »
Just realized, these cookie are most likely printed with a "Cake Printer". It uses frosting instead of ink to print with. Still super cool!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1543 on: September 28, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »
Just realized, these cookie are most likely printed with a "Cake Printer". It uses frosting instead of ink to print with. Still super cool!
If these were printed, the images they used to print them look to be redone.  They are definitely not images of the actual Wackys.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1544 on: September 29, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »
Nope, you're definitely right. It would be cool to see how she does these. No matter how they're done, they're some serious eye candy!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1545 on: September 29, 2021, 07:37:43 PM »
Nope, you're definitely right. It would be cool to see how she does these. No matter how they're done, they're some serious eye candy!

I’m no expert, but will admit to having a crafty wife and daughter. As a result , over the years I have watched more than my share of cake decorating shows and misc craft shows. I am pretty sure these cookies are hand piped (butter cream icing in bags using various tips). If someone wanted to make non-edible, similar pieces, I think fabric “Puffy paint”  or similar product could be used. Of course, a bit of talent and or experience would be helpful.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:10:21 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #1546 on: October 01, 2021, 08:09:13 AM »

I know nothing about cake and cookie decorating, but these cookies are incredible.  I can imagine they were time-consuming to make and would be expensive to buy.  However, does anyone know if one could make inexpensive cookies that still looked pretty good?  I mean, I would feel guilty eating the works of art shown here, but would relish the chance to eat cookies that looked good but didn't cost an exorbitant amount to make.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1547 on: October 01, 2021, 08:24:04 AM »
I know nothing about cake and cookie decorating, but these cookies are incredible.  I can imagine they were time-consuming to make and would be expensive to buy.  However, does anyone know if one could make inexpensive cookies that still looked pretty good?  I mean, I would feel guilty eating the works of art shown here, but would relish the chance to eat cookies that looked good but didn't cost an exorbitant amount to make.

You shouldn't put relish on cookies, you might end up in a pickle  :o

I think the previously mentioned "cake printer" would be the way to go.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1548 on: October 01, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »
You shouldn't put relish on cookies, you might end up in a pickle  :o

I think the previously mentioned "cake printer" would be the way to go.

The cake printers are cool technology  but they basically are just printing a photo image using edible ink (food coloring) on a sheet that transfers to an iced cake, These cookies have a really nice "3D" look to them.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1549 on: October 01, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »
The cake printers are cool technology  but they basically are just printing a photo image using edible ink (food coloring) on a sheet that transfers to an iced cake, These cookies have a really nice "3D" look to them.

The 3D look is what made me think they were hand decorated with fondant and icing bags.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #1550 on: October 01, 2021, 09:52:33 AM »
I want this person drawing my sketch cards!!!

Jim

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #1551 on: October 03, 2021, 07:32:47 AM »

I totally hear you about the difference between a cake printer and what these cookies are.  I'm curious, however, about the price difference to create such things.  I'm guessing it would be very substantial.  I wouldn't want to eat one of these masterpieces.  But, at what I'm assuming is a markedly reduced price, I'm happy to have some of the cake-printed cookies to gooble up on special occasions.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1552 on: October 27, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
I bought something unrelated from PSA for the first time in a long time:

It’s still sealed and even has a the original Woolworth tag on it (albeit some of it is slightly ripped off).

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1553 on: October 27, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »

It’s still sealed and even has a the original Woolworth tag on it (albeit some of it is slightly ripped off).
Sweet!  You gonna keep it sealed?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1554 on: October 27, 2021, 06:26:59 PM »

Wow, sealed!!  Where did you find it?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1555 on: October 28, 2021, 01:50:58 AM »
Yes, I’m planning on keeping it sealed. I found it on an eBay auction, and no one contested me in the bid. Can’t complain about that?

Does anyone know what year those were released?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1556 on: October 28, 2021, 03:48:49 AM »
Yes, I’m planning on keeping it sealed. I found it on an eBay auction, and no one contested me in the bid. Can’t complain about that?

Does anyone know what year those were released?

I never saw it on ebay or I would have bid, and then offered my opened boxed puzzle here.  Now I feel like building my unboxed puzzle again - haven't done that since the lock down last year. 

I believe this was released in 1983.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #1557 on: October 28, 2021, 04:06:13 AM »

Nice find a love with the original retail sticker is on. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline drono

« Reply #1558 on: October 28, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
I never saw it on ebay or I would have bid, and then offered my opened boxed puzzle here.  Now I feel like building my unboxed puzzle again - haven't done that since the lock down last year. 

I believe this was released in 1983.

For a fun challenge, instead of putting the puzzle together the normal way where you do the edges first and then group like items and colors.  Try just grabbing each piece at random, identifying the sticker on the piece, looking at the picture on the box, and then placing it on the table where it should go.  I had a lot more fun doing it that way.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1559 on: October 28, 2021, 12:52:33 PM »
For a fun challenge, instead of putting the puzzle together the normal way where you do the edges first and then group like items and colors.  Try just grabbing each piece at random, identifying the sticker on the piece, looking at the picture on the box, and then placing it on the table where it should go.  I had a lot more fun doing it that way.

I like to do this puzzle without the box.  But, habit does compel me to build the frame first.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1560 on: October 31, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »
I've been doing some more upgrading.  Here are two of my favorites:

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1561 on: October 31, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »

Awesome! I’ve wanted to get into the 1st series but it costs so much.

Skimpy is tough! How did you acquire the 9?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1562 on: November 01, 2021, 01:43:44 AM »
Awesome! I’ve wanted to get into the 1st series but it costs so much.

Skimpy is tough! How did you acquire the 9?

I bought a graded Series 1 set that included a bunch of upgrades for my set.  I will have a few 7s and a lot of 8s available once I figure everything out. 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1563 on: November 01, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »
I bought a graded Series 1 set that included a bunch of upgrades for my set.  I will have a few 7s and a lot of 8s available once I figure everything out.

I know what set you're talking about! I was very close to pulling the trigger on that many times, but with some restraint I kept myself from doing so. I may be interested in some of the 8's, so let me know what you have when you get there.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1564 on: November 01, 2021, 05:21:18 PM »

When I think of the 10 or so titles I wish they’d reprinted but didn’t, these two always come to mind.

I know they got the Chrome treatment, but standard reprints would have been nice, whether ‘79-‘80 Reissues, ‘82/‘86 albums or Flashbacks.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1565 on: November 03, 2021, 08:18:46 AM »
When I think of the 10 or so titles I wish they’d reprinted but didn’t, these two always come to mind.

I know they got the Chrome treatment, but standard reprints would have been nice, whether ‘79-‘80 Reissues, ‘82/‘86 albums or Flashbacks.

When I had the opportunity to choose a test reissue sticker title as a single representative for my collection, I chose Jail-O.  It is so clear and sharp!  Just like this 1973 PSA 9, but maybe with a little more color.  The only way you can tell that it is a test reissue sticker is the kiss-cut.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1566 on: November 05, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »
The Jail-O you mention, is this from the test 5th Reissue Series?  I always thought a ‘proposed’ checklist and a Wrapper was as far as that went production-wise.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1567 on: November 05, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »
I pulled this awesome Wacky from the latest weekly Wacky set!!! I'm stoked!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1568 on: November 05, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
I pulled this awesome Wacky from the latest weekly Wacky set!!! I'm stoked!

Beautiful sticker!!  But, what is the "latest weekly Wacky set" 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1569 on: November 05, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »
what is the "latest weekly Wacky set"

a joke

;)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1570 on: November 05, 2021, 02:25:54 PM »
The Jail-O you mention, is this from the test 5th Reissue Series?  I always thought a ‘proposed’ checklist and a Wrapper was as far as that went production-wise.
I think Pat's referring to the 1979 test series.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:33:15 PM by bigtomi »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1571 on: November 05, 2021, 06:53:21 PM »
I think Pat's referring to the 1979 test series.
Wow, have to admit I didn’t really realize there was a test set for the Reissues before they went full launch.  I always thought there was only a wrapper suggesting a test set was planned but never materialized.  Looks like it’s kinda similar to the second Wonder Bread issue, where titles are only distinguishable from their OS counterparts by slight differences in the diecuts.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #1572 on: November 07, 2021, 06:37:06 PM »
Wow, have to admit I didn’t really realize there was a test set for the Reissues before they went full launch.  I always thought there was only a wrapper suggesting a test set was planned but never materialized.  Looks like it’s kinda similar to the second Wonder Bread issue, where titles are only distinguishable from their OS counterparts by slight differences in the diecuts.

I think this is the first I've heard of a '79 test issue myself.  It sounds like there was a full box found of these packs.  Interesting!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #1573 on: November 07, 2021, 07:31:43 PM »
When I had the opportunity to choose a test reissue sticker title as a single representative for my collection, I chose Jail-O.  It is so clear and sharp!  Just like this 1973 PSA 9, but maybe with a little more color.  The only way you can tell that it is a test reissue sticker is the kiss-cut.

Can you explain what a Kiss Cut is?
A

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1574 on: November 07, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
Doesn’t this ring any bells??

anything