Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576532 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #1505 on: December 22, 2019, 04:00:08 AM »
Nice Pat! The Run Tony TB is very nicely centered, tough to find.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1506 on: December 22, 2019, 05:54:48 AM »
Nice Pat! The Run Tony TB is very nicely centered, tough to find.

I was really happy to be able to get that one.  I also really like the Campy.  These two were also especially good upgrades for me - my Run Tony TB was a 6, and my Campy was a 7.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1507 on: January 08, 2020, 03:57:20 PM »
Fortunately, with wackys there is never any hope of reaching the top spot, so it forces one to just put together a set they are happy with.

Man, what kind of work are you guys all doing that you can afford to put together multiple PSA diecut sets?  I was collecting the original art for a while (which I miss), but had to let it all go as the cost of living in So. Cal. just doesn't allow for high-end Wacky collecting while supporting a family, too.  When you're single, of course, you can just eat Graft mac&cheese while staring at your collection.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1508 on: January 08, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »
Man, what kind of work are you guys all doing that you can afford to put together multiple PSA diecut sets?  I was collecting the original art for a while (which I miss), but had to let it all go as the cost of living in So. Cal. just doesn't allow for high-end Wacky collecting while supporting a family, too.  When you're single, of course, you can just eat Graft mac&cheese while staring at your collection.

I can't speak for any one else, but I am working on just one PSA diecut set.  I have some extras from upgrading, but that's not a "second set" it's just extras I want to trade off, or sell.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1509 on: January 08, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »
I can't speak for any one else, but I am working on just one PSA diecut set.  I have some extras from upgrading, but that's not a "second set" it's just extras I want to trade off, or sell.

I’m not sure what he is talking about “multiple sets.”  Though there is a wealthy collector who does have a set for each of his kids. I hope he is not too disappointed when they don’t care about it at all.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1510 on: January 09, 2020, 12:34:21 AM »
I’m not sure what he is talking about “multiple sets.”  Though there is a wealthy collector who does have a set for each of his kids. I hope he is not too disappointed when they don’t care about it at all.

I hope his kids don't care about it at all and I end up with a nice Ratz!!

Offline drono

« Reply #1511 on: January 09, 2020, 03:09:58 PM »
I hope he is not too disappointed when they don’t care about it at all.

My dad grew up with very little, so after he retired, he "collected" all sorts of stuff.  While cleaning out their house these past few months, I realized how I cared very little about anything he collected and gladly donated most of it and gave away other things to friends.  It really made me wonder how much my kids will care about my collections.  They certainly aren't into Wacky Packages, baseball cards, or anything else I have.  Maybe my grandson who's only six will want them; he likes almost everything that his "Papa" likes.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1512 on: January 15, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
I wish I had all the comic books & sports cars my dad had (before his mom tossed them when he was at college).  I was jazzed to get to play with some of the stuff he kept when I was a kid, though... vintage slot-car set, and all sorts of toys that would be labeled as dangerous now I'm sure.  It's the screens, though.  That's why kids don't care about anything they can't swipe with their finger or click with a remote.  The telephone, TV, movie theaters, and board games were no match for Wackys and bikes and camping back then.  They were all just some of many things to do in a day.  Once kids get indoctrinated into screen-culture and have their own iPhone or iPad with Instagram and YouTube... it's all over.  (I work in education, so we see the lasting effects of it first hand)... They're checked out.  Zombified.  Black Mirror.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #1513 on: January 18, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
I wish I had all the comic books & sports cars my dad had (before his mom tossed them when he was at college).  I was jazzed to get to play with some of the stuff he kept when I was a kid, though... vintage slot-car set, and all sorts of toys that would be labeled as dangerous now I'm sure.  It's the screens, though.  That's why kids don't care about anything they can't swipe with their finger or click with a remote.  The telephone, TV, movie theaters, and board games were no match for Wackys and bikes and camping back then.  They were all just some of many things to do in a day.  Once kids get indoctrinated into screen-culture and have their own iPhone or iPad with Instagram and YouTube... it's all over.  (I work in education, so we see the lasting effects of it first hand)... They're checked out.  Zombified.  Black Mirror.

I listen to a lot of talk radio and I've been hearing more and more about the lasting effects of too much screen time. Sadly, the kids are just mimicking what they see from adults; total addiction to screen time. I was sitting in a waiting area recently when a father and two kids came in. They sat across from me and all three promptly took out their phones. For twenty minutes they were engrossed in their phones and never said a word to each other. I've also noticed the same thing at restaurants. A large group of people sitting at a table all looking at their phones. Sad.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1514 on: January 19, 2020, 02:31:52 AM »
I listen to a lot of talk radio and I've been hearing more and more about the lasting effects of too much screen time. Sadly, the kids are just mimicking what they see from adults; total addiction to screen time. I was sitting in a waiting area recently when a father and two kids came in. They sat across from me and all three promptly took out their phones. For twenty minutes they were engrossed in their phones and never said a word to each other. I've also noticed the same thing at restaurants. A large group of people sitting at a table all looking at their phones. Sad.

I was waiting for my car to be repaired, alongside a father and his son, who appeared to be about 4.  They guy was fixated on the phone, and the poor kid kept reaching for his dad's arm, and trying to get his attention.  It was heart wrenching to hear that little boy pleading "Daddy, please look at me!"

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1515 on: January 19, 2020, 06:15:45 AM »
I was waiting for my car to be repaired, alongside a father and his son, who appeared to be about 4.  They guy was fixated on the phone, and the poor kid kept reaching for his dad's arm, and trying to get his attention.  It was heart wrenching to hear that little boy pleading "Daddy, please look at me!"

Maybe dad was hogging the little boy's phone?

All kidding aside, I've seen a lot of the same phone phenomenon - families at restaurants, couples on a dinner date, groups of visitors at the museum or aquarium or zoo - and I have to say I just don't get it.  What's the point of going out anywhere if your just going to entirely ignore your surroundings?  Strange.

To be fair, however, these people look at me just as strangely when I tell them the only phone I own is located at my house with a wire that runs into the wall.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:25:19 AM by Baked Bears »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1516 on: January 19, 2020, 06:45:51 AM »
Maybe dad was hogging the little boy's phone?

All kidding aside, I've seen a lot of the same phone phenomenon - families at restaurants, couples on a dinner date, groups of visitors at the museum or aquarium or zoo - and I have to say I just don't get it.  What's the point of going out anywhere if your just going to entirely ignore your surroundings?  Strange.

To be fair, however, these people look at me just as strangely when I tell them the only phone I own is located at my house with a wire that runs into the wall.

I'm going to start a separate topic in the non-Wacky section for this.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #1517 on: January 24, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »

How sad.

Online mikecho

« Reply #1518 on: June 09, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
If you look at the post I wrote in "Do you remember this?" (Reply #18, June 2nd, 2020) you'll see a perfect example of what you're talking about here as far as toys are concerned.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1519 on: September 18, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »
It has been a heckuva week!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:02:45 PM by RawGoo »

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #1520 on: September 18, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »
Those are Sweeeet!

Online freetoes

« Reply #1521 on: September 18, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »

A nice Ratz would make for a pretty decent year. Congratulations, Pat!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1522 on: September 19, 2021, 12:32:34 AM »
Pat,
I am so glad you finally got your Ratz.  I know that has been years in the making!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1523 on: September 19, 2021, 12:58:44 AM »
A nice Ratz would make for a pretty decent year. Congratulations, Pat!

Thanks!  It was indeed a crazy week - first I added THIS one to my collection, then I upgraded!

This 4 is now available.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1524 on: September 19, 2021, 02:43:48 AM »

Congratulations! What’s the story with the 7?

We also should not ignore the Kook Aid 8. That’s also a very tough title!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1525 on: September 19, 2021, 05:15:32 AM »
Wow, that 7 is nicely centered! Congrats!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1526 on: September 19, 2021, 05:30:23 AM »
Wow, that 7 is nicely centered! Congrats!

Thanks!  It pairs well with my "easy on the eyes" Cracked Animals 5.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #1527 on: September 19, 2021, 05:38:53 AM »

Nice score!!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1528 on: September 19, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »

Wow! Congrats!!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1529 on: September 25, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
Just added many new titles to my sets; these two are the highlights:

Unfortunately, the Suffertone has diamond cut that I didn't notice in the image when I purchased it. But, it is still nice regardless.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1530 on: September 25, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
Fantastic! Sounds like your financial picture has really taken an upswing in the last year!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1531 on: September 25, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
Fantastic! Sounds like your financial picture has really taken an upswing in the last year!

Definitely!  Too bad that the diamond cut got through, especially as a 10.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1532 on: September 25, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
Well, yes, my financial picture took an upswing over the summer. Now that I am back in school (senior year!), however, my financial picture jumped off a cliff.

Yeah, I hate when I see diamond cut 10's. Or, any high grade title with diamond cut. There have been many cards that I need and pass on because of tilt or diamond cut, no matter how severe.

Offline drono

« Reply #1533 on: September 25, 2021, 10:42:59 AM »
Yeah, I hate when I see diamond cut 10's. Or, any high grade title with diamond cut. There have been many cards that I need and pass on because of tilt or diamond cut, no matter how severe.

Why would centering lower a grade and not a diamond cut? 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1534 on: September 25, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »

Diamond cut should lower a grade, however PSA is just inconsistent about it.

I try to avoid all cards that I can see potential diamond cut on.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1535 on: September 25, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »

Tilt and diamond cut are harder to quantify than centering. As long as the card meets the centering requirement for a given grade, they don’t penalize diamond cut. If it is really extreme they sometimes assign an N8 miscut no grade.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1536 on: September 25, 2021, 12:08:37 PM »
Tilt and diamond cut are harder to quantify than centering. As long as the card meets the centering requirement for a given grade, they don’t penalize diamond cut. If it is really extreme they sometimes assign an N8 miscut no grade.

I had one rejected with no grade and I couldn't even see what the problem was.  Guess my eyesight is worse than I thought.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1537 on: September 27, 2021, 04:18:20 PM »
Probably not the best place to post this but I didn't want to start a new thread for one quick item. Someone posted this in the Facebook WACKY PACKAGE BUY AND SELL page. Some awesome WP cookies. My wife does cake decorating as a "side hustle" and she says there are icing printers that can duplicate a picture in icing for a cake but she thinks these were done by hand. The detail is pretty amazing.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:45:01 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1538 on: September 27, 2021, 05:19:44 PM »
Probably not the best place to post this but I didn't want to start a new thread for one quick item. Someone posted this in the Facebook WACKY PACKAGE BUY AND SELL page. Some awesome WP cookies. My wife does cake decorating as a "side hustle" and she says there are icing printers that can duplicate a picture in icing for a cake but she thinks these were done by hand. The detail is pretty amazing.

Wow!!  Those do look hand decorated.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #1539 on: September 27, 2021, 05:55:29 PM »
Those are some gorgeous cookies! A