Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576479 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2010, 08:33:41 AM »
Thanks for asking, I love to talk about it! It's not the easiest thing to quantify with certainty, because there is no way to prove to certainty which pack variations exist for series with wrapper variations (blue and green wrappers). For series
1-16, I am certain that there are at least 61 packs that exist, and I suspect probably 62. There are a few packs that I
suspect don't exist but I can't say I'm sure, and there are some I'm nearly certain don't exist.

Anyway, my working assumption is that there are 62 distinct pack variations from series 1-16. If that is the case, my
needs are now as follows:

10-cent Wacky Ads pack
8 different packs from series 9 through 11
Original OPC series 1-3 (2 of which no one has ever produced in the "collector era")

So I'm getting pretty close!

Not bad!   If we both finish our quests we should have a party and get our collections together for pictures.

I would think that there must be some on your list though that that we probably will never see.  I would think the OPC ones would have surfaced by now if any were out there.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2010, 06:41:04 PM »
Very cool Dave.  Congrats on getting the 5 cent pack.  That is one of the true tough ones to get.  I'd love to get one, but I don't think I wever will!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »
I didn't acquire ALL this over the past week but I did score a few re-issue boxes. Notice how the martian stands guard over the box collection. I had to block out my framed art from ANS7.

Offline ROID

« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2010, 06:40:26 AM »
Nice collection Mark! And you were absolutely right about you having more ser. 2 boxes than ser. 4. I have to ask-why more than 1 of each? What about OS boxes-any pictures of those?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »
I didn't acquire ALL this over the past week but I did score a few re-issue boxes. Notice how the martian stands guard over the box collection. I had to block out my framed art from ANS7.
Sweet collection dude, I love display boxes no matter which series they are from!  Seeing them in a display cases brings back the memories of seeing the boxes in the glass counter at my local store that I got my wackys as a kid!  Nice touch with the martian!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Kook

« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2010, 08:32:34 AM »
You're better stocked than most of the stores back in the '70s! I bet you wouldn't have minded getting these for 70's prices! If we only knew then what we know now...

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »

Mark, that's an amazing collection.  I like how you have it displayed.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Awesome collection!  Thanks for sharing the pic.  I love to see how others have displayed their Wacky wares.  It really would be cool if we could ever again (the again refers to the Philly show in '99) have a "best of" people's various Wacky items all in one place.  Ah, for a Wacky Museum someday...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #323 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:36 AM »
I have to ask-why more than 1 of each? What about OS boxes-any pictures of those?
Why, you ask? OBSESSION.
I'm leaving town for a week but sometime when I get back I'll get some more pics of the collection. I have much more on display. I'm surprised nobody commented on the uncut postcard sheet near the floor.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »
Why, you ask? OBSESSION.
I'm leaving town for a week but sometime when I get back I'll get some more pics of the collection. I have much more on display. I'm surprised nobody commented on the uncut postcard sheet near the floor.

That postcard sheet is pretty neat!  That's certainly a unique display item for sure.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
That postcard sheet is pretty neat!  That's certainly a unique display item for sure.
What makes it even cooler is that it is signed by the artists who also did sketches on the back and messages written from one artist to the next as if the cards were to be cut and mailed. There's just a handful of these in existence, mostly in the hands of the artists. I didn't do any sketches though. My drawing skills were just too lacking at the time.  :-[

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #326 on: August 02, 2010, 04:33:26 PM »
I had to block out my framed art from ANS7.
Why?
Because of a contract you signed?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #327 on: August 02, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
Why?
Because of a contract you signed?

Not because of the contract but to respect Topps' way of keeping things hidden until they decide to show stuff. Since my designs haven't been shown in the advertising yet I figured I wouldn't spoil anything.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »
not much, but I did happen to find a Target with one of those sell sheets for ANS7
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline bandaches

« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »
Why, you ask? OBSESSION.
The uncut post card sheet looked like framed post cards to me.  Now that we know what it is, very cool!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
The uncut post card sheet looked like framed post cards to me.  Now that we know what it is, very cool!
I made the same assumption, I figured it was a set of the post cards framed with a mat with cut aways to show off each postcard.  Very cool indeed once you know what it is. 

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »
not much, but I did happen to find a Target with one of those sell sheets for ANS7
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Here's a snapshot of an Excel promo sheet posted at a Target.

[spoiler][expando]http://www.hipsteria.com/fwheaton/target_ans7.jpg[/expando][/spoiler]

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:19 AM »
Here's a snapshot of an Excel promo sheet posted at a Target.

[spoiler][expando]http://www.hipsteria.com/fwheaton/target_ans7.jpg[/expando][/spoiler]
ripe for the plucking...

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »
ripe for the plucking...

I confess to plucking one before it was ready.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »
I confess to plucking one before it was ready.
Do you suffer from premature pluckuation?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
Not because of the contract but to respect Topps' way of keeping things hidden until they decide to show stuff. Since my designs haven't been shown in the advertising yet I figured I wouldn't spoil anything.
Although I frequently imitate a bumbling fool (quite well, I must say), there is an obtusely funny reason I asked that dumb question. There have been a few posts (in another thread) joking that ANS 7 had been released already (Didn't Koduck correct a couple of members for purposely confusing the issue in some thread, maybe a PC thread?) a while ago, that ANS 7 had been released. (Yes, I am easily confused.) My brain had some type of indexing error, and when I saw your photo, I immediately thought, “Why won’t Mark show us his art for ANS 7?! Hell, that’s already been released!”

Yes, I’m a fool, but I thought I’d try to provide an explanation, as nutty as it is.
(I usually let my errors slide  :D)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

I'm not sure if others saw the batch of 1973 Cloth stickers that were on ebay a few weeks ago.  They were sold in lots of 4 and the seller had a bunch of them.  The auctions didn't show scans of the backs, but the fronts looked awesome, especially for Cloths.  So I gambled and won a bunch of the auctions, and was ecstatic when I got them home and saw that most of them have little or no glue seepage!  They are by far the nicest Cloths I have seen, and I was able to get very close to a full set of these upgrades.  The seller told me they came from a generic box so the stickers are pack fresh.  Here are a couple examples……………………..

Offline bandaches

« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2010, 06:46:57 PM »
I'm not sure if others saw the batch of 1973 Cloth stickers that were on ebay a few weeks ago.  They were sold in lots of 4 and the seller had a bunch of them.  The auctions didn't show scans of the backs, but the fronts looked awesome, especially for Cloths.  So I gambled and won a bunch of the auctions, and was ecstatic when I got them home and saw that most of them have little or no glue seepage!  They are by far the nicest Cloths I have seen, and I was able to get very close to a full set of these upgrades.  The seller told me they came from a generic box so the stickers are pack fresh.  Here are a couple examples……………………..
Nice score dude!  I vaguely remember these auctions but I skim right past cloth auctions so I am glad these found a good home!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
Nice score dude!  I vaguely remember these auctions but I skim right past cloth auctions so I am glad these found a good home!

Thanks, my Cloth series always bugged me because it was so far away from NM, so at least now I can feel better about them! 

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2010, 05:04:44 AM »
Thanks, my Cloth series always bugged me because it was so far away from NM, so at least now I can feel better about them! 

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!

Nice score, Rob! The cloth set's always been my favorite wackys!!! In fact, still have a few stickers from my early days. The glue's all funky and the borders look like they were gnawed by beavers, but I still get a rush when I see them!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #340 on: August 06, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »

Rob, those are very nice.  I remember winning a huge lot of Wacky's that included a full set of the cloths many years ago.  Much to my surprise they were all near perfect fronts and backs.  They were the nicest I had ever seen.  Since I did nto really have a strong need to keep them, I sold the lot to Craig Cherry.  So those went to a good home too.  He was stunned when he got them. 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #341 on: August 06, 2010, 08:31:33 AM »
Rob, those are very nice.  I remember winning a huge lot of Wacky's that included a full set of the cloths many years ago.  Much to my surprise they were all near perfect fronts and backs.  They were the nicest I had ever seen.  Since I did nto really have a strong need to keep them, I sold the lot to Craig Cherry.  So those went to a good home too.  He was stunned when he got them. 

Nice to hear there are more of them out there like that.  I just need a Grave Train to complete the whole set that way. 

I wonder what keeps them nice vs. the glue issues that most of them have?  I would think it would have to have something to do with temperature/humidity.       

wackyone

« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »
$30 for this 16th Sufferin,,perfectly centered   :o,,,smokin' deal

I scored this complete 1st PSA high grade puzzle,,,fits together perfect and super clean!,,,$25!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »
Nice Score Wackyone!
I haven't been paying much attention to the wacky market. My daily searches on ebay are for sketches. I wonder how many of the other die-hard collectors are ignoring the regular wacky market. I see that 2 really nice die-cuts sold for around $50 when I thought they should have sold for over $100 each. I never saw them until it was too late. Both non-repeats.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2010, 01:06:07 PM »
Nice to hear there are more of them out there like that.  I just need a Grave Train to complete the whole set that way. 

UPDATE:  the other night I took my full set (minus the Grave Train) and put them all in screw-downs with my other high-end items.  The following day I see a package come in the mail from Bill K. (sunsweat), which I thought was strange since I didn't remember buying anything from Bill recently.  Well inside was a sweet Grave cloth.....no stains on either side, sharp corners, etc, and it fits in great with the rest of my collection! 

Bill had obviously read my post and just sent the card out to me, unannounced!   It's guys like this that make the hobby so enjoyable, when collectors can help each other out without necessarily getting anything in return. 

Thanks again Bill!

Offline Kook

« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
UPDATE:  the other night I took my full set (minus the Grave Train) and put them all in screw-downs with my other high-end items.  The following day I see a package come in the mail from Bill K. (sunsweat), which I thought was strange since I didn't remember buying anything from Bill recently.  Well inside was a sweet Grave cloth.....no stains on either side, sharp corners, etc, and it fits in great with the rest of my collection! 

Bill had obviously read my post and just sent the card out to me, unannounced!   It's guys like this that make the hobby so enjoyable, when collectors can help each other out without necessarily getting anything in return. 

Thanks again Bill!

Bill must be thinking "secret santa" this week. I got a nice cereal premium wrapper unannounced as well! He knew I was looking for the unopened pack and this was the next best thing. Thanks Bill!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »
Nice Score Wackyone!
I haven't been paying much attention to the wacky market. My daily searches on ebay are for sketches. I wonder how many of the other die-hard collectors are ignoring the regular wacky market. I see that 2 really nice die-cuts sold for around $50 when I thought they should have sold for over $100 each. I never saw them until it was too late. Both non-repeats.
A rare # variation #23 6up sold for like $30

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #347 on: August 20, 2010, 01:51:47 AM »
My best from the 16th so far  :D
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #348 on: August 20, 2010, 01:55:07 AM »
I stll have mine sealed  ;D

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #349 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:15 AM »
Looks to be in excellent condition Dennis... I'm pleased I hope they don't hit me too hard for the tiny ink spot  :'(  Corners are sharp and the back is bright no aging  ;D

anything