Author Topic: Garbage Pail Kids / Wacky Packages Go to Washington!  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Garbage Pail Kids / Wacky Packages Go to Washington!
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
Recently posted on a dealer's site I happened to stumble across:

Coming Soon!  "Garbage Pail Kids / Wacky Packages Go to Washington!"  90 Card Set

Release date July 2018
  (I would assume around the 4th of July.)

Can anybody shed any further light on this - besides "Why?"  Is this a mash-up, GPK and WP sharing the same titles?  Or are they independent titles bundled together like we just saw with Easter?  I would also assume that these are cards, not stickers.  Also, will there be any product parodies?  If so, will they be made up products?

Back to my first question, "Why?"

Is this really even necessary?  Topps pulled the plug on "Trumpocracy," so why revisit the political arena again?  I mean, for Pete's sake!  Has that much happened in the government between "Trumpocracy" and now that a 90 card set is warranted?  This is beyond ridiculous, beyond absurd!  It just defies all common sense!!!

I'm not trying to bash any individuals who were involved in the creation of this set, but can't we please, Please, PLEASE go back to and stick with the basics, embrace the classic Wacky spirit which made them so great to begin with?

I don't know what else to say, except:
Arrrrrrrrgh!!!

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Garbage Pail Kids / Wacky Packages Go to Washington!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »
Topps, why don't you just drive stakes through all of our hearts!  It would be quicker and less painless!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
I think I'm going to puke!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
I worked on the set, came up with most of the concepts and art. Then I was fired and all my ideas were redone by someone that's related to the third cousin of someone that works at Topps......

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
I had submitted an old Bernie Sanders gag, a rehash from the Trumpocracy days and one I had totally forgotten about,
but was told that we couldn't be overly political.  Go figure!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:33:15 PM »
What with the Wacky brand withering out, and the GPKs getting more popular than ever - hell, Spielberg put GPKs in Ready Player One! how about THAT!! - I think we need to ride the coat tails of their success and support this 1000%

Baked Bears - you need to get onboard with this. PRONTO!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 06:24:12 PM »
I had submitted an old Bernie Sanders gag, a rehash from the Trumpocracy days and one I had totally forgotten about,

I was told the same thing!!! They also told me that any product parodies can NOT be an actual Parody of a product!!!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 07:19:46 PM »
  I was told the same thing!!! They also told me that any product parodies can NOT be an actual Parody of a product!!!
It's almost as if Topps is h***bound and determined to rub out the hand that feeds them-which is not wise. What are they trying to do here, deliberately set themselves up to fail? No one in any business in any way, shape or form on this God's green Earth is that absent-minded...or that stupid!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:35:10 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »

Then how can it be a product parody!  This is insane!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »

What?  Did they give you a chart or something, saying don't cross such-and-such line?  What constitutes "political" and "overly political?"  It's "GPK / WP Go to Washington," for crying out loud!  So, Trump can be Trump - but not overly Trumpish?  And more importantly, does that apply to his hair, as well?

Oh, this is a mess of unprecedented proportions!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
What with the Wacky brand withering out, and the GPKs getting more popular than ever - hell, Spielberg put GPKs in Ready Player One! how about THAT!! - I think we need to ride the coat tails of their success and support this 1000%

Baked Bears - you need to get onboard with this. PRONTO!

(Image removed from quote.)

Support what, F&S?  Product placement?  As you said, they're GPKs - NOT WACKYS!  Why leave Wackys to wither on the vine?  But they're not, are they?  They're taking them to Washington, DC, instead!  I don't know which is worse!

The only reason I'll even think of entertaining this fiasco is 1) to support the artists and gag writers (who have a nearly impossible task set before them,) and 2) we don't have to pay top dollar!  Many times I've looked upon and regarded you as the voice of reason.  However, right now my mind is whirling too much to even think straight!  If you can think of a way we can get a discount rate, I might reconsider.  Perhaps we could do another buyer's club?  They're lots of active members here - Dr. Deal, Mikecho, etc. - who are diehard Wacky fans and just might jump aboard.  For right now, though, I just need to calm my mind and sleep on it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:16:26 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
Support what, F&S?  Product placement?  As you said, they're GPKs - NOT WACKYS!  Why leave Wackys to wither on the vine?  But they're not, are they?  They're taking them to Washington, DC, instead!  I don't know which is worse!

The only reason I'll even think of entertaining this fiasco is 1) to support the artists and gag writers (who have a nearly impossible task set before them,) and 2) we don't have to pay top dollar!  Many times I've looked upon and regarded you as the voice of reason.  However, right now my mind is whirling too much to even think straight!  If you can think of a way we can get a discount rate, I might reconsider.  Perhaps we could do another buyer's club?  They're lots of active members here - Dr, Deal, Mikecho, etc. - who are diehard Wacky fans and just might jump aboard.  For right now, though, I just need to calm my mind and sleep on it.

Has it been confirmed that these are going to be sold one card at a time, as opposed to a mass market release in packs?  The number of cards being 90 and the release date being posted on a dealer's site made me assume the latter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:18:44 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
Before I was kicked off the project there were 90 titles.  Each title, however, has 3 cards - 2 GPK and 1 WP - for a grand total of 270 cards.  They are being sold as a boxed set for somewhere around $700.  In addition, the set includes about a dozen lost Norm Saunders titles (which are product parodies) that feature political figures from the Carter administration which would have been included in Series 17." I brought up the fact that there should also be 1 of 1 diamond cards since those seem to be popular and was met with silence.....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 09:46:27 PM »
Before I was kicked off the project there were 90 titles.  Each title, however, has 3 cards - 2 GPK and 1 WP - for a grand total of 270 cards.  They are being sold as a boxed set for somewhere around $700.  In addition, the set includes about a dozen lost Norm Saunders titles (which are product parodies) that feature political figures from the Carter administration which would have been included in Series 17." I brought up the fact that there should also be 1 of 1 diamond cards since those seem to be popular and was met with silence.....

Thanks for the info.  Nice try with the diamond card comment, hope it didn't get you kicked off the project.

Since this is a boxed set, it will be interesting to see if collectors who are only interested in one of the brands will break up their sets and sell off the brand they don't care for.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 04:49:37 AM »
and I heard that they were thinking of a special Clinton subset, all with highlights
from Bill's term and Hillary's run for President, with titles that were scrapped
from the Trumpocracy endeavor. 

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 05:05:32 AM »
Since this is a boxed set, it will be interesting to see if collectors who are only interested in one of the brands will break up their sets and sell off the brand they don't care for.
With all the cards having dual logos on the front (and I assume the back, too) like that mock up above, it will be fun to see how each collector will work that out.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 06:30:10 AM »
Barf.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
I also suggested fabric relic cards featuring Stormy Daniels Bra and Monica Lewinsky's stained dress.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »
I also suggested fabric relic cards featuring Stormy Daniels Bra and Monica Lewinsky's stained dress.

Best post in the entire thread. A+, Chad.
Brian Mc

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »
I assume this is an April Fool's thread right?

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
I assume this is an April Fool's thread right?
Heh, I was beginning to think we could keep it going till next April 1st....

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
dang it, and I was hoping to get the ultra-rare Hillary Pantsuit swatch  :-\

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
Well, I suppose we should all be grateful it hasn't actually come to this... yet.

Still looking forward to the 80s and maybe a small 4th of July or even "Fun in the Sun" beach/summer set.

(Too bad about the relics, however.  Would have made nice additions to my collection.  Still having trouble, though, determining which of the three is the nastiest!  All of them make me cringe!)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:12:25 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »

Chad, so as not to completely disappoint the many fans and collectors who were looking forward to GPK/WP Go To Washington, perhaps you could make your own, home-made, 1 of 1 diamond, relic cards using old odds and ends that have seen better days from the bottom of your undie drawer?

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
Great idea! I'll see what i can come up with.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
Are these all LOST cards? LMBO - Maybe the Lost Trump Notebooks! - ahhhhhhh hahahahahahahahaah bwaaaaahahaha

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
The Lost Clinton Emails?

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
What about the lost minutes from the Watergate tapes???

anything