Author Topic: 2018 Valentine's Day set  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
2018 Valentine's Day set
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:01:49 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline zerostreet

• The Art of Robert Jimenez
Re: 2018 Valentine Day set
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
These are the Wackys I did for this set.

The Art of Robert Jimenez
www.zerostreet.com

• Administrator
Re: 2018 Valentine's Day set
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:07:40 PM »
just made my purchase, but once again, will have to work to unload the gpk half of the set.

neither camp likes the titles mixed, but it doesn't look like that is going to stop.
i guess the PTB think it'll push more volume and create a better $ return, regardless of the negative feedback from collectors.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Robert, kudos for your "trifecta" on this set, and your concepts and artwork is fantastic!

Well done, my friend!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
just made my purchase, but once again, will have to work to unload the gpk half of the set.

neither camp likes the titles mixed, but it doesn't look like that is going to stop.
i guess the PTB think it'll push more volume and create a better $ return, regardless of the negative feedback from collectors.
there are plenty of people on Garbage pail Kids facebook page that want only the GPK's

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:57:55 PM »
there are plenty of people on Garbage pail Kids facebook page that want only the GPK's
and plenty of complaining about the set. GPK collectors always complain but they seem extra hateful of these cards.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 12:53:34 AM »
I guess Topps didn't go for the original tacky gag of gender preference ambiguity?

Maybe it will become a Lost Wacky someday

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
Slamjim - PLEASE let the knuckleheads know this should be a WACKY SET - Not a SHIM!  Wacky and GPK are not them same and I would happily pay $9.95 for the three WPs....... had to buy the set to get and will not break up, as a completist, because it is no longer a Set.....

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 08:11:18 AM »

Agreed. I like the WP but am not going to buy the set due to the gpk. Zero interest in gpk. I'll just buy the WP on ebay if I can.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »
Just ordered the set. Will flip the GPK's on Ebay the second I receive them as always.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
Keep ordering them like this and they will keep making them like this. What everyone should do instead of ordering is call topps and voice your disgust. Mouthing off on here does nothing, as we can see. I will NOT be ordering these, but they WILL be getting a phone call. Good Day Sir! I said good day

Jim

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 02:29:36 AM »
Keep ordering them like this and they will keep making them like this. What everyone should do instead of ordering is call topps and voice your disgust. Mouthing off on here does nothing, as we can see. I will NOT be ordering these, but they WILL be getting a phone call. Good Day Sir! I said good day

Jim

That's a good strategy for change. I order them because I want to ensure I will have the Wackies and selling the others for $20 usually gets me to a $14.99 cost for the Wackys. I think voicing opinions here does effect change as the artists do attempt to funnel what they are hearing to the powers that be.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
Keep ordering them like this and they will keep making them like this.
An excellent point. But, I also understand the need to buy them or we'll get nothing at all...

Good Day Sir! I said good day
I think all Topps hears is "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera".

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:23 PM »
I also understand the need to buy them or we'll get nothing at all...

See, this is the thinking they want you to think. As I understand, change will not take place till something happens. Nothing has happened. If sales fall, and people call, SHIT WILL happen but not until then. Everyone wants their Wackys, but how many are truly willing to fight for what they Really want?

And just who are their marketing gurus? They have to be the dumbest people out of college, last in the class to not figure this one out. GPK fans will buy the GPK set. Wacky fans will buy the Wacky set. Fans of both will buy both. How fucking smart am I?

Jim

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »
I've brought up a brand split many times. No idea why they just don't roll out them separately. It doesn't cost them anything more or less. If you sell 150 of them all together or 75 for each brand it's the same thing. Might even get a little more if you sell by brand because the people that hate the other brand will probably buy it this way.

Also, none of us even got a shot at doing the cards for this series. Some artists sent in some concepts without the invite going out. I sent in a couple of thumbnails when I saw there had been no invitation but was told they were already done. Here's the thumbnail concepts I sent in:

Also, just a heads up that I was completely swamped with GPK rough work the past month so I was not really on here and missed a bunch of trade requests from people for Old School cards. Sorry about that and I'll touch base when I get back from Vegas and see if anyone still has their cards and wants to trade.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:46:57 PM by slamjim »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 12:28:16 AM »
I sent in a couple of thumbnails when I saw there had been no invitation but was told they were already done. Here's the thumbnail concepts I sent in:

Those would have been terrific, Dave!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline zerostreet

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 05:53:39 AM »
Sorry to see this set has been so divisive. Just a head's up for anyone interested in it, there's just over an hour left to order.
www.zerostreet.com

Offline Swiski

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 08:49:02 AM »
Those would have been terrific, Dave!

Amazing work, as always!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 03:45:15 PM »
Sorry to see this set has been so divisive. Just a head's up for anyone interested in it, there's just over an hour left to order.

Has nothing to do with your work. Your Wackys are great!  :great:
Brian Mc

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
170 sales. Pretty decent.

Offline zerostreet

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
Has nothing to do with your work. Your Wackys are great!  :great:

Thanks, appreciate the words! I was mainly referring to the GPK/WP divide...having said that, I may have perceived some vague grumblings from some on the Wackys!  :D
www.zerostreet.com

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
I've brought up a brand split many times. No idea why they just don't roll out them separately. It doesn't cost them anything more or less. If you sell 150 of them all together or 75 for each brand it's the same thing. Might even get a little more if you sell by brand because the people that hate the other brand will probably buy it this way.

Also, none of us even got a shot at doing the cards for this series. Some artists sent in some concepts without the invite going out. I sent in a couple of thumbnails when I saw there had been no invitation but was told they were already done. Here's the thumbnail concepts I sent in:

Also, just a heads up that I was completely swamped with GPK rough work the past month so I was not really on here and missed a bunch of trade requests from people for Old School cards. Sorry about that and I'll touch base when I get back from Vegas and see if anyone still has their cards and wants to trade.

Great stuff, Dave!  I passed on this set as I don't like mixing the two series and I wasn't that knocked out by the Wackys themselves.  Yours would certainly have made the set more appealing.

Offline quas

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
Has anyone received theirs yet?  Still waiting for mine.
Marc

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
I did get mine on Saturday, despite the "Nor'Easter", "snowbomb" storms, or whatever
they're calling these things nowadays. 

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
Still waiting in suburban Philly and still without power too!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Has anyone received theirs yet?  Still waiting for mine.

Received mine Sunday and already posted the GPKs on eBay! LOL
Brian Mc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
Still waiting in suburban Philly and still without power too!

Wow!  My power went out Friday, but not for terribly long.  Are you supposed to get a major snowstorm tomorrow?  That's not good with no heat.............

My set arrived Friday, during the nor'easter.  Glad it didn't blow away  :P

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
Arrived in Virginia Beach, VA tonight!