Author Topic: Wacky Mini Series 4  (Read 11417 times)

Offline lucidjc

Re: Wacky Mini Series 4
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2024, 02:57:24 PM »
Does anyone here remember how much a vinyl LP record cost on average in, say, the 1970s when I was a kid?

I got 12 for a penny.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2024, 03:23:53 PM »
Thanks, Neil. About $6.00 back then compared to about $28.00 right now, that's a big difference, indeed.
I didn’t start buying my own vinyl until circa 1983-1989+/-.  Prior to that it was mostly cassettes for me.  By that time I think current releases on vinyl ran about $10 to $12, but titles that were a few years old could often be found in the $6 to $8 range.  A lot of it depended on whether you were buying from a small independent retailer, where prices always ran higher, vs a bigger chain store where better deals could be found.  I remember looking for the round ‘nice price’ sticker which was always indicative of a good price.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2024, 03:29:26 PM »
I got 12 for a penny.
Ah, you’re referring to the infamous mail-away record clubs, aren’t you?  I did that a half dozen or so times in the mid-90s with CDs.  You had to buy 3 or 4 at full price after the initial group to complete the ‘contract’ and you had to cancel in writing so it took some time and patience, but if you saw it through you were looking at $4 to $4.50 per CD when you average it all out, not bad at all.  I saved hundreds doing that repeatedly.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2024, 05:18:38 PM »
I didn’t start buying my own vinyl until circa 1983-1989+/-.  Prior to that it was mostly cassettes for me.  By that time I think current releases on vinyl ran about $10 to $12, but titles that were a few years old could often be found in the $6 to $8 range.  A lot of it depended on whether you were buying from a small independent retailer, where prices always ran higher, vs a bigger chain store where better deals could be found.  I remember looking for the round ‘nice price’ sticker which was always indicative of a good price.

I got into the LP scene the summer of '77....had just finished the 7th grade.  And I didn't stop buying them until 1987 when the CD craze hit.   And I bought a slew of CD's until the late 90's....when music basically died.   Oh there were still some gems after 2000, but few and far between.   I can't believe what passes as "rock"(??????) these days.

Ah, the late 70's and all of the 80's....music was awesome.   I feel sorry for anyone in high school these days.   "Oh boy, the new <insert singer with no talent and no band> is out!   Maybe they'll go on tour and I can watch them lip sync!!"

I still have every vinyl and every CD I ever bought.   
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2024, 06:36:37 PM »
I just got an email from a woman named Susan at Super Impulse. She told me that this series is, in her own words, "on hold".

I hope this helps.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2024, 12:56:32 PM »
I just got an email from a woman named Susan at Super Impulse. She told me that this series is, in her own words, "on hold".

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the update.  The whole company seems to be "on hold" at the moment.  Zero product that I come across.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2024, 02:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the update.  The whole company seems to be "on hold" at the moment.  Zero product that I come across.
Oh, you're more than welcome.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2024, 08:12:12 PM »
That is usually the end result with corrupt companies.....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/