Author Topic: What the hell is this on ebay?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

What the hell is this on ebay?
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/mystery-item-vintage-wacky-packages-/180541159997?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09177a3d

Is this something that this seller put together or was this something sold in stores? What is this?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: What the hell is this on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/mystery-item-vintage-wacky-packages-/180541159997?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09177a3d

Is this something that this seller put together or was this something sold in stores? What is this?
Good question, the header card doesn't have a price tag, nor copyright info, nor anything that indicates Topps had authorized this repackaging and reselling.  Looks like a total knockoff but who did the header card???
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »
Good question, the header card doesn't have a price tag, nor copyright info, nor anything that indicates Topps had authorized this repackaging and reselling.  Looks like a total knockoff but who did the header card???

Looks like some wacky dude made it up him/her self. Definately done in Wacky style, but I've never heard of seen anything like this in all my Wacky collecting years.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »

That type of top loader, I believe, didn't come around until the early 1990's. It appears the Header Card was created to make it look "vintage" but the holder givse it away.....
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
Yup, look like they just stapled a made up header card onto a toploader. Hey, it's officially vintage, the header says so.  :P
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
Apart from the Norm Saunders looking art which is well done. Two things make it bogus, no product bar code and NO ONE staples a product to a toploader. At best a 3 mil plastic encasing is used on any product of this type. This is probably done on a digital press as you can run card stock on it.

Choke_Wagon

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:50:49 AM »
Looks like the BIN didn’t sell at $39 so the seller reduced it to $25. The header artwork is interesting. The back of the header sure is weird with the text, “Place on Foot. Be the Life of the Party”. I know we are encouraged to paste ‘em anyplace, but sticking them on your foot?! When you look at the back, the staple holes look a bit fishy and there is some type of sticker residue on the lower corner of the back of the toploader.

When looking at the sellers other auctions, I see the seller is selling a few UK Series 2 titles. I sure hope England didn’t release their own series, or else I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.
http://shop.ebay.com/trtone57/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
Looks like the BIN didn’t sell at $39 so the seller reduced it to $25. The header artwork is interesting. The back of the header sure is weird with the text, “Place on Foot. Be the Life of the Party”. I know we are encouraged to paste ‘em anyplace, but sticking them on your foot?! When you look at the back, the staple holes look a bit fishy and there is some type of sticker residue on the lower corner of the back of the toploader.

When looking at the sellers other auctions, I see the seller is selling a few UK Series 2 titles. I sure hope England didn’t release their own series, or else I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.
http://shop.ebay.com/trtone57/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Has anyone tried emailing the guy to ask him about it?  Maybe he'll surprise you and actually tell you about it!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
Has anyone tried emailing the guy to ask him about it?  Maybe he'll surprise you and actually tell you about it!

Someone took a chance & pulled the trigger @ $25. I wonder who bought it and if it was anything noteworthy...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:37:45 PM by billf »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »
Has anyone tried emailing the guy to ask him about it?  Maybe he'll surprise you and actually tell you about it!
Rob, I'd rather armchair quarterback, speculate a bit, and then consider launching a smear campaign, because it's a lot more fun than asking. ;D
But seriously, considering this description,
Up for auction is a 1979 wacky packages sticker encased in plastic with a strange outer boarder.  The border is fairly heavy and appears to be light cardboard.  Its a little bent around where the cardboard touches the plastic case.  The artwork looks like it was done by one of the original wacky pack artists, but I cant find any info on this.
he probably doesn't have much info to offer, but it might be interesting to find out where he got it, which might be a clue to it's origin / creation.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
Rob, I'd rather armchair quarterback, speculate a bit, and then consider launching a smear campaign, because it's a lot more fun than asking. ;D
Up for auction is a 1979 wacky packages sticker encased in plastic with a strange outer boarder.  The border is fairly heavy and appears to be light cardboard.  Its a little bent around where the cardboard touches the plastic case.  The artwork looks like it was done by one of the original wacky pack artists, but I cant find any info on this.
he probably doesn't have much info to offer, but it might be interesting to find out where he got it, which might be a clue to it's origin / creation.

I know, asking him might stop all of the fun!  lol.  I just went to email him but I don't see the auction anymore.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »

ROB......nice use of the colored text!!!!!          Now more putrid pink next up  yellow
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

anything