Author Topic: Old School Products  (Read 13695 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Old School Products
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »
Hey all, If there is an 80s and 90s set LMK what products you feel are iconic of those two eras (and didn't exist in the 70s unless the packaging had drastically changed).

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Old School Products
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »
Don't know if these two sodas would be considered iconic or not.  They are eye-catching, however, and occupy a position on my "favorite soda cans" shelf in my classroom.

(My "Hubba Bubba" can - right side - is still filled, and my students are always begging me to drink it.  Kids!  Go figure!)

And then there was this guy...

And...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:43:38 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
I could go on and on and on.... but I leave you with a few clear iconic classics:

For 1990's, there is the classic P.B. Crisps (my most pirated and reproduced imagery on the net, my PB Crisps photos and scans are everywhere - showing you how much people associate it with that decade):

Planters P.B. Crisps, Chocolate Crisps, PB&J Crisps - 1992-1995
by Jason Liebig, on Flickr

And how about some fast food that was introduced in the 1980's:

McRib is pretty 1980's iconic:

McDonald's - McRib Sandwich styrofoam food restaraunt packaging - circa 1980's

Here's a later 80's version of the McRib packaging, a little more lively:

McDonald's - McRib Sandwich styrofoam food restaraunt packaging - circa 1980's ALT

As are Chicken McNuggets (this is the most iconic 1980's package for them to ME, but there were a few):

McDonald's - Chicken McNuggets 20-piece box - 1983-1985

How about Fruit Roll-ups - introduced in 1985 or so (click to enlarge):

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »
Lifesavers and Hubba Bubba soda?  Oh my, the 80s were a mistake loool.

Seriously though, several good ideas there.  Warming up to the the idea of this set.  Could be promising.   :great:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
And... more 1980's Fast Food... I mean, these are damned iconic and some of my favorite fast food pieces from my archives - dating to 1987:

McDonald's - Super Summer Sizes - SuperSize - trayliner placemat - 1987

McDonald's - Super Size drink soda cup package - circa 1987

McDonald's Super Size plastic drink cup three-view  - 1987

McDonald's Super Size fry box package - 1987
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Jell-O Pudding Pops is deeply iconic and a dynamite choice.  Here's a look at the proper vintage of packaging:

Jell-o Pudding Pops
by Dan Goodsell, on Flickr

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
And of course, Big League Chew... not too many products as iconicly 1980's as this.  Unfortunately, the artist who did Big League Spew in a recent modern set incorrectly referenced the classic mascot and 1980's package design (that was discontinued twenty years ago), sort of soiling the idea of doing an ACTUAL 1980's version parody....   :-\

Amurol-Wrigley - Big League Chew - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1980

This one is major for me... hell, I did my own 1980's parody version for my failed Kickstarter campaign a couple of years ago:

Zombie Mouth Bubblegum promo creator-owned

Offline Fool-Aid

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:06 PM »
Capri Sun, Lunchables, Dippin Dots, and Wrigley Hubba Bubba bubble tape, all 80's. Love this idea even though I would prefer a 60s & 80s sets first. I think General Mills fruit by the foot rollup & Yoplait Go--Gurt from the 90's...and Topps Push Pops too. Loved those Carnation breakfast bars but those were introduced in 79..

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »
Capri Sun, Lunchables, Dippin Dots, and Wrigley Hubba Bubba bubble tape, all 80's. Love this idea even though I would prefer a 60s & 80s sets first. I think General Mills fruit by the foot rollup & Yoplait Go--Gurt from the 90's...and Topps Push Pops too. Loved those Carnation breakfast bars but those were introduced in 79..
Do you mean Hubba Bubba bubble gum? I think the bubble tape is recent, but I'm not sure. However, I've got two more here: Fruit Roll-Ups and Fruit Bars. What I wouldn't give to have Fruit Bars brought back! They were absolutely delicious! Oh, I just thought of two more: Ruffles Cajun Spice and Jumpin' Jack Doritos. They were as good as Fruit Bars! Darn it, why does everything I like to eat always go away, never to be seen again? Oh well, at least I've got the memories.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:56:43 AM by mikecho »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:50:47 PM »
Bubble Tape was introduced by Amurol confections in 1987 (Amurol was the same division of Wrigley that launched and distributed Big League Chew).

I think the bubble tape is recent, but I'm not sure.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:53:59 AM »
How about Spendtendo? Nothing included. Everything sold separately.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 04:19:41 AM »

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
Here are some ideas for the old school 90s set =
Gas-teXas (Gas-x, showing a ballooned southern woman [Not anything is bigger and better in Texas])
Tracked Down Trolls (Combo of Topps' Trash Can Trolls and the Fugitive [1994])
Upchucks (Tonka/Kenner Cupcakes dolls as barf bags)
Sneezit (Squeezit drinks with snotty colds)
The Danged Beepers shirt (Angry Beavers)
Bedwets and Headsets cigarettes  (Benson and Hedges/Kids smoking investigation)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
So many, many products of the 1970s (as well as pre 70s) were parodied during the original WP run.  Similarly many of the products of the 1980s and 1990s were parodied in later series.  Which doesn't leave very much left to mine and sift through - and consequently makes this somewhat difficult.

As much as I would like to see an 80s or 90s series, I hope it doesn't end up simply being a graveyard of "extinct," here today, gone tomorrow products.

Be that as it may, here are a few more ideas:

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »
Don't forget the wealth of Topps card sets and candy products prevalent in the 80's.  The 1985-1990 football wax packs that all had a cartoon QB in a throwing position would be great to parody.  Ring Pops, Munchie Mummies, Bubble Burger, the list goes on and on.  Jolly Rancher "Stix" hard candy, Everlasting Gobstoppers, Jumbo Sweet Tarts, Wacky Wafers, Tart n Tinys, Broadway licorice rolls.  Some of these probably got started in the late 70's, but I'm sure they continued well into the 80s as well.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 05:02:25 PM »
Yeah, there's a WEALTH of products that have never gotten the Wacky treatment that can still be mined.   Worlds to go.  I spend a lot of my time swimming through the genre and I can tell you, the vastness of consumer packaged goods should not be underestimated.  It's... well, vast, and that's without even getting to the flash-in-the-pan products.

And I don't want to poo-poo album covers (or cassette tapes) and VHS movies as worthy targets of parody, but I really do feel like those things are not great examples of the kinds of subjects best served to become Wacky Packages.  Like the magazine offshoot half series (that was conceived as a different set, "Wacky Magazines?") from the OS, it's not that those things don't have merit for parody, but they stretch the idea of Wacky Packages that typically target a different kind of thing - a consumer packaged good or food item, IMHO. 

But, as with the magazine half series, it's not necessarily terrible. 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Is the wealth of products original, iconic, and popular, however, or variations upon products that were already in existence (and also parodied at some time or another?)  Not to disparage the suggestions offered here, but many of them I've never heard of before.  I fault but myself for my own ignorance.  Perhaps some products didn't make that much of an impression, as I was no longer an impressionable child and didn't grow up with them?  Perhaps I didn't care for what the 80s had to offer?  I really don't know.  It seems to me that the 60s and 70s were so much more prolific, and the 80s, in comparison, somewhat lackluster.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
There might be something to the sheer proliferation of brands and products that came out in the 80's that has you thinking that no single product would be able to have stand out at the time?  There's definitely merit to that, because it does happen that when there's "too much"; nothing stands out.    It could be that the style of graphic packaging design adopted in the 80's, such as it was, just seems flat and forgettable to you compared to the previous two decades (I personally see isolated instances of that, if not an across the board trait). 

I'm confident that it's not the case, at least not in any marked way.   The 80's were a lively time for consumer packaged goods and grocery categories.  It was the boom of "microwave" branded food, fruit snacks, cereals licensed from cartoons, movies and video games and so much more..  There was a LOT of fun stuff.  Just like the 70's and the 60's before them. 

Is the wealth of products original, iconic, and popular, however, or variations upon products that were already in existence (and also parodied at some time or another?)  Not to disparage the suggestions offered here, but many of them I've never heard of before.  I fault but myself for my own ignorance.  Perhaps some products didn't make that much of an impression, as I was no longer an impressionable child and didn't grow up with them?  Perhaps I didn't care for what the 80s had to offer?  I really don't know.  It seems to me that the 60s and 70s were so much more prolific, and the 80s, in comparison, somewhat lackluster.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
How about Spendtendo? Nothing included. Everything sold separately.

Spendtendough?  ;)

Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
I tend to think our collective perceptions may have drifted by the mid-80's as well, to the point that we may have sort of tuned out from the the consumer items that formed the Wacky Packages fascination.  It could probably be argued that advertising and packaging designs pushed the envelope to dazzle consumers more than ever, which for us may have reached a level of overexposure at a time when our attention was increasingly taking us in other directions, like music, movies, teenage stuff.  I know I longed to find my long-lost OS Wackies throughout the decade, but it never crossed my mind to want to see a new set based on current products.  I remember stumbling across the '91's in a drugstore, and I just remember feeling kind of odd about it - Wackies were a childhood phenomenon and seeing them revived was kind of weird.  I'm sure all the offbeat and one-off products contributed to that feeling as well - Dick Tracy and Simpsons tee shirts?  A Rambo VHS tape?  Yeahhhhh, strange times.

I tend to agree that an 80's set could be underwhelming in comparison to OS or OLDS sets, but if the products were thoughtfully chosen I still think it could be worthwhile.  As for the 90's, I don't think it would come across much differently than ANS, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just can't conjure up a set of products with a distinctly 90's feel.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Swatches. Although I don't recall there being much of a package for them, just a clear lucite case.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Agree on the Dick Tracy shirt and Rambo tape. HATED those being used. Totally want to stick to more traditional products. There are enough cool 80s toys to carry a full set but a good WP set has elements of everything. Drinks, Candy, Cereal, Magazines, Pet Products, Household, Toys, Trading Cards, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Condiments, etc. A good balance.

I have a lot of products for the 80s in my files already and will hit of Jason for some scans IF we do an 80s set. Keep the products coming as there are definitely a few I missed.

Swatch is a great product but unless it's got a box with a logo on it that would be strange

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
Also, just product suggestions. No gags as I don't want to have anyone say I stole their gag.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
True story.  I wore a Swatch all through my senior year in high school, and went back and tracked down the exact watch in unused condition a couple of years ago, in the original case.  It sits faithfully right here on my desk.

Boring package though.  But see attached to see just how.

Swatches. Although I don't recall there being much of a package for them, just a clear lucite case.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:59:27 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
I can't recall, have we ever got a "Gatorgum" parody?  Now, this one sort of rides the line.  Introduced in 1977 by Fleer, it might have reached the zenith of its popularity in the 1980's, when it was distributed by Philadelphia Chewing Gum/Swell. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 01:31:28 AM »
Here's a nice snapshot.  Mainly showing it to showcase Nerds. A huge 1980's invention.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 07:08:07 AM »
I can't recall, have we ever got a "Gatorgum" parody?  Now, this one sort of rides the line.  Introduced in 1977 by Fleer, it might have reached the zenith of its popularity in the 1980's, when it was distributed by Philadelphia Chewing Gum/Swell.

Gatorgum has always been on my hit list. My all-time favorite gum. Beyond sour and I loved it. I've been saving it for the 80s set because that's when I really recall chewing it.

Also, really want to do Sizzlean. The best "bacon" ever.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
True story.  I wore a Swatch all through my senior year in high school, and went back and tracked down the exact watch in unused condition a couple of years ago, in the original case.  It sits faithfully right here on my desk.

Boring package though.  But see attached to see just how.

Well it does have the logo and Swiss Made at the bottom so this could work after all.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »
Well it does have the logo and Swiss Made at the bottom so this could work after all.

I have the exact one I wore - and sometimes i use it... :] :]still works no box though....hence it was never CANCELLED!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »
Here's a nice snapshot.  Mainly showing it to showcase Nerds. A huge 1980's invention.

Some nice colorful candidates there!   :great:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Some nice colorful candidates there!   :great:

If you like that, check this out.

Over the summer, I was interviewed by the New York Times for a piece on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Broadway musical, and how Nestle was not currently making chocolate bars with the Wonka name on them.  They sent out a photographer to snap me and some of my Wonka pieces, so I arranged out a pretty groovy assortment of them, a few going back to 1971 (or 1972)...

Jason Liebig's Willy Wonka brand candy packaging collection - for July 4th New York Times article - Photo by Krista Schlueter

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Good stuff Jason. Never heard of a few of those.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
Good stuff Jason. Never heard of a few of those.

Thanks, The "Odd Balls" is the original art board for a product that I believe never made it to market.  So that one is just the art.  :-)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »
I remember reading a while back that Wacky Wafers and Tart n Tinys were coming back, but I've yet to see them.  On a related note, I wish more candies that have been around a long time would roll out retro packaging like m&ms did last year. Even when they try, they never truly match the old designs.  Bottle Caps, Gobstoppers and Mike & Ike, I'm talking to you!  Cereal companies do a much better job at that.

Offline Liquidfox

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
I remember reading a while back that Wacky Wafers and Tart n Tinys were coming back, but I've yet to see them.  On a related note, I wish more candies that have been around a long time would roll out retro packaging like m&ms did last year. Even when they try, they never truly match the old designs.  Bottle Caps, Gobstoppers and Mike & Ike, I'm talking to you!  Cereal companies do a much better job at that.

Tart n Tinys are back....manufactured by Leaf in their origional non candy coated from. I have had two boxes recently...they are pretty good but can't touch Smog Balls  ;)

anything