Author Topic: Wacky Packages Price Guide  (Read 20066 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Wacky Packages Price Guide
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »
More than anything, I find it interesting seeing which of my values line up with your’s, and which don’t. Some of them are similar for sure, but some are fairly different. That would very well be an issue on my part, but I’m not sure.
Call out some differences and let's kick around where the values should fall, I am game.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »
I’m going to need a lot of convincing that there is any significant cohort of people who remember collecting wackys from 2004-2007 with any kind of nostalgic passion.
I said "may now start" and the good part is you don't have to be convinced!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 04:18:00 AM »
Call out some differences and let's kick around where the values should fall, I am game.

I have some things that are ~$1-2 difference and I won't note them unless you want me to, at least not for now.

You have Paul Maul at $50, yet I have it at $40. And, Mutt's and Lavirus are $25 for you and $30 for me. Lastly, Bandache is $100 for you and $80 for me.
Also, for the first series, I put ludlows at higher value. Your's says 10-12 times, I put 14x for black ludlows and 18x for red ludlows. I had the same number for tans.

My second series was basically the same as your's, except I put black and red ludlows at 12x and 16x respectively. (Regarding white back value).

For many series, you note certain short prints have higher value. One of these examples being Gatoraid, and basically the titles that show up on the sheet one time less than the rest. I didn't change the value for those cards sans first series.

Your Spic and Span was five dollars above mine, not too much of a difference however.

Bum and Choke were $100 for you and $75 for me.

Grime heavy was $100 for you and $80 for me.

In 15th Series, you only noted Bloodweiser as a high demand card for $15. Mine was $12, plus Famous Mobsters and Gums.

16ths were very different. Your commons were $30, mine are $60. I may drop it to $50, not sure though. I'm never entirely sure how to designate that series because it seems somewhat volatile on eBay at least. And, the three double prints are $9 for me. Scoot and Real Garbage are $6 for you, and Jungle is $4. Your Scoot w/out copy is $125 while mine is $120.

I don't see 13th whites or 14th trifolds on your site, so I can't compare those. Although, the trifolds likely wouldn't be significantly different.

Ultimately, I believe it comes down to an ever-changing market and grading. I doubt either of us are supremely wrong in any account.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
I’ve never understood why Lavirus would be valued lower than Paul Maul. As a side of the sheet sticker with that black mark next to it, it is very condition sensitive.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
And Ernie’s price guide was made before the steep jump in 16th prices, so his are likely low.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
I’ve never understood why Lavirus would be valued lower than Paul Maul. As a side of the sheet sticker with that black mark next to it, it is very condition sensitive.

Quote from Ernie's price guide,

"Individual sticker values vary depending the quantities with which they appear on uncut sheets.
This is by no means the perfect way to price single stickers as we all know that
Bandache, Pall Mall, Lavirus and Mutt's all appear only once per series 1 sheet but
Bandache and Pall Mall are clearly much harder to come by."

I have said similar things about 16ths. None of the commons should be any more rare than another, but nine times out of ten I'll find a Bleed's or Prowl before a Fling 'Ems. But, these 16ths don't usually sell for different prices whereas the four one per sheet titles did, referring to Paul Maul in comparison to Mutt's and Lavirus. (Or at least when I created my guide).

And Ernie’s price guide was made before the steep jump in 16th prices, so his are likely low.

Yes, I referred vaguely to this at the end of my spiel.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:46:39 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 08:33:23 PM »
I think in almost all cases your prices are more accurate than mine, the big 7 prices have dropped a bit(bandache, paulmaul, Mutts, Lavirus, Run Tony Spit n Spil and Grime Heavy.  Series 16 has definitely gone up as Dave said.  I think you might be over valuing black ludlows and under valuing red.  1st tans are more than whites but less than black luds.  I do think 14th trifolds are worth more, probably double the regular values.  13th whites are tricky as a seller from NY and all is alter ids are selling 13th whites that are basically the uncut strips that were dumped on ebay recently as cut up singles.  13th whites probably go for $50 each.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 10:17:49 PM »
I think in almost all cases your prices are more accurate than mine, the big 7 prices have dropped a bit(bandache, paulmaul, Mutts, Lavirus, Run Tony Spit n Spil and Grime Heavy.  Series 16 has definitely gone up as Dave said.  I think you might be over valuing black ludlows and under valuing red.  1st tans are more than whites but less than black luds.  I do think 14th trifolds are worth more, probably double the regular values.  13th whites are tricky as a seller from NY and all is alter ids are selling 13th whites that are basically the uncut strips that were dumped on ebay recently as cut up singles.  13th whites probably go for $50 each.
I have to agree with you on the Tri-folds.  Just trying to get a grade over a 5 on them is an accomplishment.  Most of the ones I have found are because the seller didn't know that they were even there.  As more people become aware of the scarcity of them the value will climb on them.  The strips that were cut where did the influx of those come from?  Are they true white backs or are they something else.  Nice thing to know is those will not make it to PSA as they will not be min-siz. 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »

I had first series tans at 5x white back prices, is that about right? I believe it was the same number you had. I'm not exactly sure where to put the black and red luds because I had trouble getting pricing on them when I was doing this. I had 14th tans at 1.5x white back prices and tri-folds at 3x. A bit generous by your take. With this, my 13ths were $3 a piece with white backs being 30x value. So, I essentially almost doubled your estimate. Again, this was probably because I could not find any on the market at that time. This will be changed.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2020, 09:38:45 AM »
I had first series tans at 5x white back prices, is that about right? I believe it was the same number you had. I'm not exactly sure where to put the black and red luds because I had trouble getting pricing on them when I was doing this. I had 14th tans at 1.5x white back prices and tri-folds at 3x. A bit generous by your take. With this, my 13ths were $3 a piece with white backs being 30x value. So, I essentially almost doubled your estimate. Again, this was probably because I could not find any on the market at that time. This will be changed.

I can probably help out with the 13th whites.  They are extremely rare in the wild and I am not counting any of the recent Ebay so-called 'test 13ths'.  I am very close to completing a set that are not anything like the recent Ebay ones. These are fully kiss-cut and do not have that weird glossy, clear film that the uncut Ebay ones have.  I purchased a strip of those just to compare and talked with Ernie a little about them due to some serious concern on them possible being printed recently.  With that being said, I have accumulated mine over the past 20 years from various sources and have paid anywhere from $30-$150 apiece for them.  I think your price would be pretty darned accurate around $90-$100/ apiece.

In regards to the Ludlows, I think John Kosturik is the expert on those with him keeping a full database and recently finishing his sets as well.  Maybe he can chime in on this to hlp you out.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
I can probably help out with the 13th whites.  They are extremely rare in the wild and I am not counting any of the recent Ebay so-called 'test 13ths'.  I am very close to completing a set that are not anything like the recent Ebay ones. These are fully kiss-cut and do not have that weird glossy, clear film that the uncut Ebay ones have.  I purchased a strip of those just to compare and talked with Ernie a little about them due to some serious concern on them possible being printed recently.  With that being said, I have accumulated mine over the past 20 years from various sources and have paid anywhere from $30-$150 apiece for them.  I think your price would be pretty darned accurate around $90-$100/ apiece.

In regards to the Ludlows, I think John Kosturik is the expert on those with him keeping a full database and recently finishing his sets as well.  Maybe he can chime in on this to hlp you out.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the set was that tough, great job.

Offline drono

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
I had 14th tans at 1.5x white back prices and tri-folds at 3x.

I think the 14th tri-folds are harder to find than that, but the price might not be higher because the demand seems to be low.  I've been trying to put a set together for a few years now and have four left.  I've paid $5 for most because the sellers didn't realize they were different from normal tan backs and $10-25 for the ones that were properly identified.  The last ten I bought were from one seller, so he discounted them from the regular prices of $25-35.  I think their scarcity would put them at 5-7x but their low demand might move them closer to 3x where you have them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:27:21 PM by drono »

Offline drono

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
I am not counting any of the recent Ebay so-called 'test 13ths'.

These are not true Wacky Packages that came from the wild.  They're being sold by kane-and-romita.  I bought something from that seller, and the PayPal funds went to Matt Stock, so that alone would question whether they've been printed lately.

Congrats Brian on getting close to a complete set of the true 13th whites.  I only have Beastball.  :sad:

Offline bandaches

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
These are not true Wacky Packages that came from the wild.  They're being sold by kane-and-romita.  I bought something from that seller, and the PayPal funds went to Matt Stock, so that alone would question whether they've been printed lately.

Congrats Brian on getting close to a complete set of the true 13th whites.  I only have Beastball.  :sad:
lol, of course Kane and Romita is matt.  I am fairly certain he bought and cut up many of the uncut 13th strips from the guy who has an infinite supply of late 1970s and 1980s uncut baseball card sheets.  He has a friend, brother something, story changes each time I interact with the guy who got all this from topps.  Love the "double" series 1s that he is selling trying to make it mysterious as to what they are yet everyone one of those doubles exactly corresponds to positioning on a series 1 sheet.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »
What about glossy back series 1?   they are much more scarce than regular backs, less than 20% seem to be glossy.

Also there are distinguishable diecuts on Minute Lice and Grave Train.  I can say with certainty the cuts on Minute Lice are not equally distributed, the sharper angle cut(what I call 60 degree) seems to be half as frequent. 

I have nearly 1000 series 1 stickers from a variety of sources so I feel I can make some accurate observations.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »
what about the 5th series (glossy and not glossy). Is one worth more than the other?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 04:55:28 AM »
What about glossy back series 1?   they are much more scarce than regular backs, less than 20% seem to be glossy.

Also there are distinguishable diecuts on Minute Lice and Grave Train.  I can say with certainty the cuts on Minute Lice are not equally distributed, the sharper angle cut(what I call 60 degree) seems to be half as frequent. 

I have nearly 1000 series 1 stickers from a variety of sources so I feel I can make some accurate observations.

I forgot about those even existing to be honest. I sort of feel like they go unnoticed and don't sell for more as a result, are there normally auctions on eBay calling them as such?

If this is added, then the 14th glossy ones should be too. Honestly, I see them at an even less frequent rate. I have several glossy 1sts but only like one glossy 14th.

Also, I am sure glossy 5ths are worth more because they have more appeal to the eye but not substantially. They are less common, but I doubt anyone would spent a lot of money unless it was graded high or will be graded high.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »
5th series glossies are by far the most common glossies. They do look a lot better but I have never noticed them sell at a premium. Even 4th and 6th glossies which are much rarer (especially 6th) don’t seem to attract much interest.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »
Quite honestly I never heard of 14th series glossies.  What is glossy the front or the back?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2020, 02:24:16 AM »
Quite honestly I never heard of 14th series glossies.  What is glossy the front or the back?

The back is glossy.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »
lol, of course Kane and Romita is matt.  I am fairly certain he bought and cut up many of the uncut 13th strips from the guy who has an infinite supply of late 1970s and 1980s uncut baseball card sheets.  He has a friend, brother something, story changes each time I interact with the guy who got all this from topps.  Love the "double" series 1s that he is selling trying to make it mysterious as to what they are yet everyone one of those doubles exactly corresponds to positioning on a series 1 sheet.

Did you notice that the latest double series 1 auction don't even have a copyright on them?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline bandaches

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
Did you notice that the latest double series 1 auction don't even have a copyright on them?
I don't track his auctions, were they off center?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2020, 11:42:02 AM »
I don't track his auctions, were they off center?

It was confusing, because on the one hand they appeared over cut to the point where the copyright would not have showed, but also the stickers had the heavy blue line suggesting they might have been from a copyright less proof sheet like the 2nd series discussion.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2020, 04:55:00 AM »

Click on the image to get to the article...

Offline bandaches

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2020, 06:22:35 AM »

Click on the image to get to the article...
I was the first to report these clear acetate border 13th whites as I obtained partial sheets of them(not 5 card strips) long ago.  TI I traded many emails with Lonnie and I told him I have in my position 13th whites that ARE diecut and NOT clear acetate border.  Some of what I have are from cutting up uncut sheets that were in the wild and some are ones that were just mixed in collections I purchased but I did notice a trend that Colorado seemed to be a source of numerous 13th whites much like Illinois, Tennessee, Massachusetts are heavy sources of ludlow backs and Missouri is a heavy source for 3rd white backs.  There seems to be geographically trends.  The border on 13th whites I have from uncut sheet also seem more glossy than typical cards so I am wondering if there are three types of 13th whites, clear acetate, glossy opaque and normal think white border.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »
5th series glossies are by far the most common glossies. They do look a lot better but I have never noticed them sell at a premium. Even 4th and 6th glossies which are much rarer (especially 6th) don’t seem to attract much interest.

I had always wondered if anyone had been able to finally put together full GLOSSY sets of 4, 5, and 6.  5 would have been easier of course, but in the 3 or 4 runs of 1-16 that went through my hands, I never saw more than 2 or 3 glossies of 4th and 6th series.  Even when I'd bought bulk stacks of mid-series, really rare to see.  But MAN, did they POP!  I had always wanted to find a glossy "Shotwheels" and "Runaway", but never did.  I'm guessing Bum & Choke never saw glossy faces as those would have been pulled before the glossy stock hit the presses late in the 4th series run.

Anyone out there ever complete those sets in glossy?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
I've changed a lot of stuff on my website in case anyone's interested in looking.

I also specifically modified a few prices, such as:

1st Paul Maul from $40 to $35
1st Lavirus from $30 to $35
Diecut Breadcrust #37 from $50 to $125
Diecut Cracked Jerk #38 from $50 to $20

If any of these values sound off, as well as others on the site/spreadsheet, let me know. I'm all ears. In case you don't know, the values are supposed to be based on an EX+ grading scale.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 10:29:33 AM »
I've changed a lot of stuff on my website in case anyone's interested in looking.

If any of these values sound off, as well as others on the site/spreadsheet, let me know. I'm all ears. In case you don't know, the values are supposed to be based on an EX+ grading scale.

can I have the link to your website?  Thanks.

Offline drono

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2020, 10:44:49 AM »

Just curious what information you're using to make the changes. 

Has anyone done a search on eBay to get prices of sold items and base the price on that?  I know eBay has a search available for sold auctions, but it would be too time consuming to run it manually on every sticker.  You'd definitely need to build something for this unless eBay has an API to query the data in bulk.  Even then, the problem would be sorting through the descriptions to get the true meat of each auction.  I doubt you could find enough of a sample size on every sticker to make an educated assessment of prices.

Offline quas

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
Maybe this is already being done, but I would label the prices as "last seen price".  If you see an item on ebay in an auction and then attempt to sell that same item in an auction soon afterwards, theoretically the price would be one bidding increment above the 3rd high bidder's bid in the earlier auction.  Theoretically.  It has seemed uncommon in practice for the 2nd high bidder to pay the full amount of their high bid in a "second chance."
Marc

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2020, 04:20:27 AM »
can I have the link to your website?  Thanks.

https://sites.google.com/view/wackypackagespriceguide/home
There is also a link (click on image) on the first post.

Just curious what information you're using to make the changes. 

Has anyone done a search on eBay to get prices of sold items and base the price on that?  I know eBay has a search available for sold auctions, but it would be too time consuming to run it manually on every sticker.  You'd definitely need to build something for this unless eBay has an API to query the data in bulk.  Even then, the problem would be sorting through the descriptions to get the true meat of each auction.  I doubt you could find enough of a sample size on every sticker to make an educated assessment of prices.

A lot of the prices for commons don't really fluctuate so I don't find a need to rapidly search for those making a $1 difference. They kind of just come from what I've paid. Other prices for bigger titles come from either recent eBay auctions or just what I've seen them priced at reasonably. I have no clue what you're referring to regarding "building something".

Maybe this is already being done, but I would label the prices as "last seen price".  If you see an item on ebay in an auction and then attempt to sell that same item in an auction soon afterwards, theoretically the price would be one bidding increment above the 3rd high bidder's bid in the earlier auction.  Theoretically.  It has seemed uncommon in practice for the 2nd high bidder to pay the full amount of their high bid in a "second chance."

I am not entirely sure about this theory. If I lost an auction where I bid $50 on a 16th sticker, I would definitely be open to spending $50 on another. The last seen price isn't always an accurate indicator because demand might be low/high, and the grade may be quite off in either direction too.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2020, 05:30:31 AM »
https://sites.google.com/view/wackypackagespriceguide/home
There is also a link (click on image) on the first post.

A lot of the prices for commons don't really fluctuate so I don't find a need to rapidly search for those making a $1 difference. They kind of just come from what I've paid. Other prices for bigger titles come from either recent eBay auctions or just what I've seen them priced at reasonably. I have no clue what you're referring to regarding "building something".

I am not entirely sure about this theory. If I lost an auction where I bid $50 on a 16th sticker, I would definitely be open to spending $50 on another. The last seen price isn't always an accurate indicator because demand might be low/high, and the grade may be quite off in either direction too.
I agree with you, no price guide on items that are available in quantity uses the last price as "the" going price.  At any moment in time depending on who is looking at the time prices can fluctuate a bit.  Using a large sample size is the way to go.  My prices were based on my years of experience with thousands of stickers passing through my hands.  I haven't adjusted the guide in like 15 years and it is still pretty good.  While some feel there is no new demand for original series coming, I know they are wrong.  I am very actively getting requests and I don't advertise at all any more and prices are reasonably stable on ebay.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
It's been wild to be away for long stretches and then come back to see drastic rises and falls in the prices of original series stuff.  It's amazing to me that the price of back-variations is still high as it would seem strange for brand new, younger collectors to care about those as much.  And weird to me that things like the rare 3 posters and iron-on patches and Mag-7 stickers seem to have fallen in value while common PSA-graded 16th are astronomical compared to the old days.  What really floors me, though, is how much people will pay for the NEW ANS chase-cards, knowing that the rarity was manufactured-in vs. the 'true' (and un-reversable) rarity of pulled titles, back variations, test-issue, and dumpster-found production material of the original series.  The chance of some 80-year old dude sitting on a stack of NM/MT "Bandache Ludlows" hermetically sealed for decades is slimmer than finding a 'Cheapios' poster in a blue pack (inside reference).  And the printing plates for the old Wackys are kaput.  But the chance of a Millenial sitting on a stack of gold-border, Lynch sketch-cards (or whatever's rare now) isn't such an outside thought.