Author Topic: Wacky Packages Price Guide  (Read 20058 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Wacky Packages Price Guide
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:03:54 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline mikecho

Re: NationalSpittoon's Wacky Scans
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
Mark, one question. Is your die-cut variation #32 Weakies supposed to be red instead of orange, or did something go wrong with the photo transfer? Just wondering.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:06:11 AM »
Mark, one question. Is your die-cut variation #32 Weakies supposed to be red instead of orange, or did something go wrong with the photo transfer? Just wondering.

It does seem a little more red than orange in the scan. But, it's more orange if you look at it in real life.

But, look at the 1st series Weakies, then look at the Diecut version. The 1st series version, in the scan, is more orange.

So, I'm not sure about that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:15:00 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »
What are you looking for as upgrades to the borderless OS1 stickers?  Pretty sure I have a nice Fink around, and maybe some other extras that would help you.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »
What are you looking for as upgrades to the borderless OS1 stickers?  Pretty sure I have a nice Fink around, and maybe some other extras that would help you.

I'm not sure what you mean. I just want simple white back counterparts of those respective titles. If you mean grade, then as long as there's no writing, it has a border, and it is at least mid grade then I am fine. My Master Want List shows all of the titles that are borderless or have writing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:40:29 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Swiski

Re: Wacky Scans and Price Guide
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
Too bad you don't have a way to implement the scans into your chart.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
Too bad you don't have a way to implement the scans into your chart.

Not sure if I can. If I could, then I would have to rearrange the whole thing. That would be a righteous pain in the a**. The only solution would be a Google document, which I already decided against.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
It does seem a little more red than orange in the scan. But, it's more orange if you look at it in real life.

But, look at the 1st series Weakies, then look at the Diecut version. The 1st series version, in the scan, is more orange.

So, I'm not sure about that.

Whether it looks red or orange just has to do with how heavily the sticker was inked. My 1st series Weakies seems to be heavily inked and looks red to me.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
Having scanned over 50,000 vintage packaging pieces in my day, and having had a desire to archive them digitally in an accurate way, I can speak to this issue somewhat and offer additional insight, I think.   

Almost any scanner you get is going to have trouble accurately capturing within the orange/yellow range - I've owned a few over the years and every model has had this issue.  Within the scanner sensor, it will skew oranges toward the red end of the spectrum.  So, baring any post-scan color corrections, whatever red-to-orange issues there may be on the original sticker, it will be aggravated by most commercial/consumer scanners and make it look "more red". 

I'm not certain of the causation but it must have something to do with scanner sensors or the bulbs they use to illuminate the subject. 

I'm ALWAYS correcting the shift in oranges on pieces I scan.  Just had this issue present itself over the weekend when I was scanning a mid-1960's Doritos bag.  Lovely oranges and mustard yellow colors that turned more redish and canary yellow before correcting them in Photoshop.  :-)

Of course, any fading within the inks of the actual sticker would tend to leave the red plate of the printing less affected than the others, which could also add to this. 

So, that's my two cents!  And here's that Doritos bag I was working on!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb97JQZgA9N/

Whether it looks red or orange just has to do with how heavily the sticker was inked. My 1st series Weakies seems to be heavily inked and looks red to me.

(Image removed from quote.)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Having scanned over 50,000 vintage packaging pieces in my day, and having had a desire to archive them digitally in an accurate way, I can speak to this issue somewhat and offer additional insight, I think.   

Almost any scanner you get is going to have trouble accurately capturing within the orange/yellow range - I've owned a few over the years and every model has had this issue.  Within the scanner sensor, it will skew oranges toward the red end of the spectrum.  So, baring any post-scan color corrections, whatever red-to-orange issues there may be on the original sticker, it will be aggravated by most commercial/consumer scanners and make it look "more red". 

I'm not certain of the causation but it must have something to do with scanner sensors or the bulbs they use to illuminate the subject. 

I'm ALWAYS correcting the shift in oranges on pieces I scan.  Just had this issue present itself over the weekend when I was scanning a mid-1960's Doritos bag.  Lovely oranges and mustard yellow colors that turned more redish and canary yellow before correcting them in Photoshop.  :-)

Of course, any fading within the inks of the actual sticker would tend to leave the red plate of the printing less affected than the others, which could also add to this. 

So, that's my two cents!  And here's that Doritos bag I was working on!

Thanks for the info. I am thinking that it isn't my scanner, though, just because the other Weakies is still orange.. (Yes, the borderless one.) But it is definitely nice to see your process in case of using that in the future.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
One thing I think you should change is the condition standard, to EX+. Because there is no way a legitimately NM Lavirus or any of the other short prints would sell at prices this low.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
I got my Alcohol Seltzer today, so that's now on there. And, I'm starting to add 1st series stuff.

I am hoping to finish Newtport still. (Cavich Parodies)

Thanks! Hope you think the guide is helpful.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
I got my Alcohol Seltzer today, so that's now on there. And, I'm starting to add 1st series stuff.

I am hoping to finish Newtport still. (Cavich Parodies)

Thanks! Hope you think the guide is helpful.

Darn!  I just found a really nice Alcohol Seltzer in my extras for you.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »
Been starting to add more scans as I am likely to take a break with "Cavich Parodies" for this weekend. Not for certain though..

Series 15 Scans are on the site, will add the prices tomorrow.
Will add Series 16 Scans tomorrow likely.

Will try to start scanning series 3, and series 5.

Thanks.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »
Mark, I love your sticker website! Only one boo-boo, however-in the Number Variations section of the Die-Cuts, it should say "This led to...". If you put an "a" in it, it's the metal, not the plural of "lead". It's a very common mistake that I've seen several times; you're not the first one to do this, believe me-and you won't be the last, I'm sorry to say. Just thought you'd like to know.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:22:36 PM by mikecho »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Wacky Packages Scans and Price Guide
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 04:25:44 PM »
Mark, You are a brave man for taking on a price guide! Kudos to you!

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the cloth series stickers listed. No collection is complete without those ;)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 03:34:31 AM »
Mark, You are a brave man for taking on a price guide! Kudos to you!

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the cloth series stickers listed. No collection is complete without those ;)

You are right.  >(

Edit: I have them on the spreadsheet, just not the Webpage yet.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:47:02 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
 :great:

Offline mikecho

Re: Wacky Packages Price Guide
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
Mark, do you intend to put in the Wacky Ads as well? I noticed that that series was missing from the Price Guide Website.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:39:51 PM by mikecho »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
I will eventually add Wacky Ads, but haven't seen any real reason to yet as I only own three.

I am, though, starting to add the 7th Series. Finally. I actually didn't know that it wasn't already on there, so that sucks.

So, for anyone interested in the prices (or seeing my current collection), there's an update.

Thanks!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
I will eventually add Wacky Ads, but haven't seen any real reason to yet as I only own three.

I am, though, starting to add the 7th Series. Finally. I actually didn't know that it wasn't already on there, so that sucks.

So, for anyone interested in the prices (or seeing my current collection), there's an update.

Thanks!
Okay, that explains it. Thanks!

Which Wacky Ads do you have?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
Okay, that explains it. Thanks!

Which Wacky Ads do you have?

I own Hurts Tomatoes, #17 (four wackys), and #21 (four wackys).

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
I own Hurts Tomatoes, #17 (four wackys), and #21 (four wackys).
Do you know if they're long perf or short perf?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
Do you know if they're long perf or short perf?

They are all short perfs. Aren't long perfs tougher to find?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
They are all short perfs. Aren't long perfs tougher to find?
I don't know if the long perfs are harder to find, but I just found out that they came out first, before the short perfs, and that Good and Empty only came as a long perf. The fact that Good and Empty was never replaced once it was pulled is one of the reasons why it's so rare and so desired by collectors, especially if it's in mint condition. Another Wacky Ad, Mixwell Hearse Coffee, was supposed to replace it (and, in fact, it was all finished and ready to go) but, for some reason, it was never released (and remains so to this day).

The way I see it, it should've been released in either the Wacky Ads subset or the Lost Wackys subset of Chrome, but that's just me. At least, it's what I'd have done if I'd been in charge of Chrome, but I wasn't and it wasn't.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:26:38 AM by mikecho »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
I've been trying to make the sheets look a bit nicer. If anyone has trouble seeing the dark blue, or the text (white) please let me know.

Also, if any of the prices are outlandish at all, by any means, let me know.

I do like the website but unfortunately I don't have access to a scanner like I used to, it broke. I do have one, but only one that you can run papers through. So, I have more titles that I could have put on the site but nothing to scan them with.

I want this to stay accurate, albeit it isn't entirely necessary as other price guides already exist... I've already done it however, so I want to keep its integrity.

LASTLY, I have made the webpage public again. I have changed a couple of things, and plan to edit more. But, as I said, I cannot add more scans.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:42:54 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
I created this pricing guide and grading guide like 20 years ago, seems to have withstood the test of time pretty well. 

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/priceguide1.txt

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/GradingGuide/gradeguide.html
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2020, 05:18:26 AM »
I created this pricing guide and grading guide like 20 years ago, seems to have withstood the test of time pretty well. 

Yes, I knew you had that. Tis why I noted mine was essentially pointless, but I should have told myself that three years ago.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
Great price guide(s)! Now I just need to figure out a way to get this info into the hands of some eBay Wacky sellers and convince them to adjust their prices (way) lower...

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2020, 07:10:40 AM »
Yes, I knew you had that. Tis why I noted mine was essentially pointless, but I should have told myself that three years ago.
No way is yours pointless, there are many opportunities for adjustment of mine as market has shifted downward in values since but I predict we are in the middle of an uptick as big money has no place to spend their money so the are collecting again, just look at some recent auction house values.  Also people who discovered wackys for the first time 16 years ago with ANS1 may now start to get disposable income and delve into older wackys like we did in collecting wacky ads and diecuts which many of us had no recollection of as kids.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2020, 08:21:49 AM »
No way is yours pointless, there are many opportunities for adjustment of mine as market has shifted downward in values since but I predict we are in the middle of an uptick as big money has no place to spend their money so the are collecting again, just look at some recent auction house values.  Also people who discovered wackys for the first time 16 years ago with ANS1 may now start to get disposable income and delve into older wackys like we did in collecting wacky ads and diecuts which many of us had no recollection of as kids.

More than anything, I find it interesting seeing which of my values line up with your’s, and which don’t. Some of them are similar for sure, but some are fairly different. That would very well be an issue on my part, but I’m not sure.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2020, 08:52:42 AM »
Also people who discovered wackys for the first time 16 years ago with ANS1 may now start to get disposable income and delve into older wackys like we did in collecting wacky ads and diecuts which many of us had no recollection of as kids.

I’m going to need a lot of convincing that there is any significant cohort of people who remember collecting wackys from 2004-2007 with any kind of nostalgic passion.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2020, 09:25:16 AM »
I’m going to need a lot of convincing that there is any significant cohort of people who remember collecting wackys from 2004-2007 with any kind of nostalgic passion.
Agreed. However, I've noticed a few eBay auctions lately that catch my eye with "vintage" in the title...and they're mid-2000s era stickers. Geez, cover up, your age is showing.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 09:51:46 AM »

Those were the first Wackys I had.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »
Those were the first Wackys I had.

Mark, I think it’s fairly clear that you are a somewhat unusual case. Actually, I‘ll ask everyone: how many other examples have you come across of kids who bought ANS stickers and went on to care about vintage stickers?

anything