Author Topic: Wacky Scans and Price Guide  (Read 545 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Wacky Scans and Price Guide
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »
Wacky Scans and Price Guide
Think of this as a catalog...

Wacky Packages Price Guide Spreadsheet

Wacky Packages Price Guide Website

Thanks for your consideration. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:25:01 PM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline mikecho

Re: NationalSpittoon's Wacky Scans
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
Mark, one question. Is your die-cut variation #32 Weakies supposed to be red instead of orange, or did something go wrong with the photo transfer? Just wondering.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:06:11 AM »
Mark, one question. Is your die-cut variation #32 Weakies supposed to be red instead of orange, or did something go wrong with the photo transfer? Just wondering.

It does seem a little more red than orange in the scan. But, it's more orange if you look at it in real life.

But, look at the 1st series Weakies, then look at the Diecut version. The 1st series version, in the scan, is more orange.

So, I'm not sure about that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:15:00 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »
What are you looking for as upgrades to the borderless OS1 stickers?  Pretty sure I have a nice Fink around, and maybe some other extras that would help you.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »
What are you looking for as upgrades to the borderless OS1 stickers?  Pretty sure I have a nice Fink around, and maybe some other extras that would help you.

I'm not sure what you mean. I just want simple white back counterparts of those respective titles. If you mean grade, then as long as there's no writing, it has a border, and it is at least mid grade then I am fine. My Master Want List shows all of the titles that are borderless or have writing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:40:29 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Swiski

Re: Wacky Scans and Price Guide
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
Too bad you don't have a way to implement the scans into your chart.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
Too bad you don't have a way to implement the scans into your chart.

Not sure if I can. If I could, then I would have to rearrange the whole thing. That would be a righteous pain in the a**. The only solution would be a Google document, which I already decided against.
Mark

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
It does seem a little more red than orange in the scan. But, it's more orange if you look at it in real life.

But, look at the 1st series Weakies, then look at the Diecut version. The 1st series version, in the scan, is more orange.

So, I'm not sure about that.

Whether it looks red or orange just has to do with how heavily the sticker was inked. My 1st series Weakies seems to be heavily inked and looks red to me.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
Having scanned over 50,000 vintage packaging pieces in my day, and having had a desire to archive them digitally in an accurate way, I can speak to this issue somewhat and offer additional insight, I think.   

Almost any scanner you get is going to have trouble accurately capturing within the orange/yellow range - I've owned a few over the years and every model has had this issue.  Within the scanner sensor, it will skew oranges toward the red end of the spectrum.  So, baring any post-scan color corrections, whatever red-to-orange issues there may be on the original sticker, it will be aggravated by most commercial/consumer scanners and make it look "more red". 

I'm not certain of the causation but it must have something to do with scanner sensors or the bulbs they use to illuminate the subject. 

I'm ALWAYS correcting the shift in oranges on pieces I scan.  Just had this issue present itself over the weekend when I was scanning a mid-1960's Doritos bag.  Lovely oranges and mustard yellow colors that turned more redish and canary yellow before correcting them in Photoshop.  :-)

Of course, any fading within the inks of the actual sticker would tend to leave the red plate of the printing less affected than the others, which could also add to this. 

So, that's my two cents!  And here's that Doritos bag I was working on!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb97JQZgA9N/

Whether it looks red or orange just has to do with how heavily the sticker was inked. My 1st series Weakies seems to be heavily inked and looks red to me.

(Image removed from quote.)
Jason Liebig - Curator of CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Having scanned over 50,000 vintage packaging pieces in my day, and having had a desire to archive them digitally in an accurate way, I can speak to this issue somewhat and offer additional insight, I think.   

Almost any scanner you get is going to have trouble accurately capturing within the orange/yellow range - I've owned a few over the years and every model has had this issue.  Within the scanner sensor, it will skew oranges toward the red end of the spectrum.  So, baring any post-scan color corrections, whatever red-to-orange issues there may be on the original sticker, it will be aggravated by most commercial/consumer scanners and make it look "more red". 

I'm not certain of the causation but it must have something to do with scanner sensors or the bulbs they use to illuminate the subject. 

I'm ALWAYS correcting the shift in oranges on pieces I scan.  Just had this issue present itself over the weekend when I was scanning a mid-1960's Doritos bag.  Lovely oranges and mustard yellow colors that turned more redish and canary yellow before correcting them in Photoshop.  :-)

Of course, any fading within the inks of the actual sticker would tend to leave the red plate of the printing less affected than the others, which could also add to this. 

So, that's my two cents!  And here's that Doritos bag I was working on!

Thanks for the info. I am thinking that it isn't my scanner, though, just because the other Weakies is still orange.. (Yes, the borderless one.) But it is definitely nice to see your process in case of using that in the future.
Mark

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
One thing I think you should change is the condition standard, to EX+. Because there is no way a legitimately NM Lavirus or any of the other short prints would sell at prices this low.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
In an effort for simplicity, I am making it on a website now.

I know I haven't been to steady with how I've been doing this yet but this is the cleanest way, trust me.

I will put the link at the top of the page. It obviously is early, I have only put some diecuts in as of now. But, there will be more in the future.

Enjoy!
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
I got my Alcohol Seltzer today, so that's now on there. And, I'm starting to add 1st series stuff.

I am hoping to finish Newtport still. (Cavich Parodies)

Thanks! Hope you think the guide is helpful.
Mark

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
I got my Alcohol Seltzer today, so that's now on there. And, I'm starting to add 1st series stuff.

I am hoping to finish Newtport still. (Cavich Parodies)

Thanks! Hope you think the guide is helpful.

Darn!  I just found a really nice Alcohol Seltzer in my extras for you.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »
Added a lot of stuff. Completed these following series so far:

Diecuts
Series 1
Series 2
Series 3 (Partial)
Series 4
Series 10

If only scanning didn't take forever...
Mark