Author Topic: Old School 6 Purchase Totals  (Read 25869 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Old School 6 Purchase Totals
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2017, 07:24:57 AM »
That's what I said. A subset. Meaning 9 cards like the Old School subset that was in the 50th set.

When you mentioned that the "30s set could be the subset instead of the rough drawing cards," I assumed you were replacing the rough drawing cards (of which there are 30) with the 30s set.  I see what you're saying now.  Might work.

When I mentioned a "9 card mini set, etc.," I was suggesting a small independent set, much like an event set, for example.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:26:52 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
After watching old game shows like "What's My Line" and "I've Got a Secret" on the BUZZR channel, I could appreciate some Wackys of the products advertised during those programs.  The old commercials that they include are a hoot, but not sure related Wackys would look right in color  :-\
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:15:14 AM by RawGoo »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
When you mentioned that the "30s set could be the subset instead of the rough drawing cards," I assumed you were replacing the rough drawing cards (of which there are 30) with the 30s set.  I see what you're saying now.  Might work.

When I mentioned a "9 card mini set, etc.," I was suggesting a small independent set, much like an event set, for example.

Actually, I like that idea of maybe testing the waters with a small mini 30s or 50s set like any of the awards sets size for example. Maybe 5 - 7 cards.

Also, I agree with Tom (crackedjerk) that the 80s and 90s would be a priority over the 30s and whatever for any first offshoot era.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2017, 08:28:36 AM »
After watching old game shows like "What's My Line" and "I've Got a Secret" on the BUZZR channel, I could appreciate some Wackys of the products advertised during those programs.  The old commercials that they include are a hoot, but not sure related Wackys would look right in color  :-\

Do you have any of the product names? Always adding to my lists

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
HAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »
Actually, I like that idea of maybe testing the waters with a small mini 30s or 50s set like any of the awards sets size for example. Maybe 5 - 7 cards.

Also, I agree with Tom (crackedjerk) that the 80s and 90s would be a priority over the 30s and whatever for any first offshoot era.

As far as 30s or 50s, go for it!  Pick a decade and then go with a handful of the best of the best, those products that would definitely ring a bell of familiarity.  See how it goes!

I don't see why the 80s would have to necessarily take priority.  I would assume that this would be a full set (30 cards,) and I believe this set would sell just as well as OS6.  I'd also suggest that this set is long overdue and anxiously awaited.

People are either going to like and buy either set, or they are not.  I don't think that releasing one set before the other would affect the sales of the second.  Why should it, providing the sets are not released too close together?  I do think that the 80s set might sell better, however, based on product familiarity/age of customer base.  The only strong reason I can see to release the 80s set first is to keep the snowball rolling with Topps.  Another round of sold out sets should definitely pave the way for a 30s or 50s nod of approval.

Plus, if I am reading between the lines correctly, you've been aching to do a pre 70s set for some time, now.  The idea keeps growing; the feeling keeps getting stronger.  Once this happens, of course, you know there's only one thing to be done.  And, if by chance a pre 70s set was released first, this would keep the WP excitement and momentum going while you work on and fine tune the larger 80s set.  Kind of like when bands would release an EP of 3 or 4 songs in between their major albums to keep the interest alive.

"Old School" - Series 6 - Released November 2017
"30 Card Base Set Plus Rendered in the Vintage Wacky Packages Tradition!"

Coming March 2018 - "Old School Through Time" - Series 1: The 1930s
"Suffering from WP withdrawal?  Then we have just the set for you!"
"9 Card Base Set Featuring Sailor Jack, Bingo, and Mr. Peanut as You've Never Seen Them Before!"
"Outrageously Affordable and Outrageously Funny!"

Coming July 2018 - Old School 80s - Series 1
"You Asked For It, Now Here It Is!  The 1980s!"
"30 Card Base Set Plus!"

Suggestion:  Call pre 70s series "Old School Through Time" or "Blast From the Past," and post 70s series "Old School" or "Old School (19)80s - Series 1" etc..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:18:21 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2017, 08:31:46 PM »
While I can appreciate the enthusiasm for going "back in time" further than the initial conceit of Old School, I believe the direction is misguided.   And I believe that for a number of reasons growing out of my personal understanding of what fundamentally makes (and has made) Wacky Packages function to begin with. 

I'm keen for Walter Brennan and WPA-related humor as much as any joe, but personally I think there's not much to move the needle taking this route.  So, a 5-7 card set would seem like an appropriate risk. 

Tapping the 60's or the 80's, on the other hand, presents groovy opportunities and a chance to mill what I would think would be some pretty rad and productive ground. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2017, 03:31:47 AM »
While I can appreciate the enthusiasm for going "back in time" further than the initial conceit of Old School, I believe the direction is misguided.   And I believe that for a number of reasons growing out of my personal understanding of what fundamentally makes (and has made) Wacky Packages function to begin with. 

I'm keen for Walter Brennan and WPA-related humor as much as any joe, but personally I think there's not much to move the needle taking this route.  So, a 5-7 card set would seem like an appropriate risk. 

Tapping the 60's or the 80's, on the other hand, presents groovy opportunities and a chance to mill what I would think would be some pretty rad and productive ground.

I agree that sticking to more recent times makes the most sense. I grew up with wackies and can relate to new wacky's that spoof products I grew up with. I am 54 so basically grew up in the 70's. Spoofs for products from before I was born would not interest me much.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
Yeah, I think this is going to be the general feeling within classic Wacky collectors, and it just makes sense. 

But not to entirely be a downer on the concept, I think the hobby could embrace a smaller five to seven card set of them painted by Dave, as an aside.  Reading how the idea has been pitched on this thread as a smaller offering in between more full-sized contemporary (1960's and up) sets is something I could happily get behind. 

I agree that sticking to more recent times makes the most sense. I grew up with wackies and can relate to new wacky's that spoof products I grew up with. I am 54 so basically grew up in the 70's. Spoofs for products from before I was born would not interest me much.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything