Author Topic: Old School 6 Purchase Totals  (Read 25880 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Old School 6 Purchase Totals
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »
It says it's Sold Out

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
It says it's Sold Out

Right with 5 days left to boot.  Granted there are the $50 items left, but this brings me to a point.

If this is print on demand, Topps is leaving money on the table by limiting this to the availability of sketch cards.

Why not offer a base set of stickers only to allow anyone to purchase the set without sketches?  Demand obviously out-stripped supply for full sets very quickly.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »
Right with 5 days left to boot.  Granted there are the $50 items left, but this brings me to a point.

If this is print on demand, Topps is leaving money on the table by limiting this to the availability of sketch cards.

Why not offer a base set of stickers only to allow anyone to purchase the set without sketches?  Demand obviously out-stripped supply for full sets very quickly.

Absolutely. They should drop that $50 option with all the extra stuff and over $50 base sets for the remainder of the time. Maybe they could put 2nd edition on the copyright line so it's fair to the people that bought the $150 sets.

Here's the thing. The original plan they were proposing was so off that they would not have sold anything. I got them to do $150 for everything which clearly was a good idea but they didn't have enough sketch cards. They potentially could have sold 300-600 more sets with the 5 1/2 days left if they had way more sketch cards (or had only offered 1 or 2 in it in the first place). The $50 was a complete waste. I bet Darryl's was the only one they sold!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Now in the $50 column it does allow for 100 items in the cart which means they must have stocked both columns with a certain amount. So it's maybe not really sold out. I bet they dump the $50 option tomorrow. Figure out how many remaining sets they can put together with the remaining sketch cards and restock the $150 option with them.

I am also going to suggest they add a new option for just a base set, no sketch cards or other stuff for around $60-70. Whatever works for them. If you have 5 days left you really should have more product to sell. Lesson learned on the sketch cards. Over produce them, don't have a series number on them (just the series name) in case you have extras which you can put towards the next series.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:59:43 PM by slamjim »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 02:39:24 AM »
I can't see them offering a base set alone for $50  - $60 now that so many people have dropped $150 to obtain one. They would get complaints.

Also,  this set could end being quite a boon for resellers if they end up only making 300 or so full sets. Time will tell. The two sets that were sold on Ebay yesterday

may end up being a steal. Now that full sets are sold out; lets see if the others that guy had for $75 move today.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:48:39 AM by DrDeal »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
I can't see them offering a base set alone for $50  - $60 now that so many people have dropped $150 to obtain one. They would get complaints.

Also,  this set could end being quite a boon for resellers if they end up only making 300 or so full sets. Time will tell. The two sets that were sold on Ebay yesterday

may end up being a steal. Now that full sets are sold out; lets see if the others that guy had for $75 move today.

As I recall, Topps has "restocked" the website for past Old School products, and that could happen today if it is simply a question of them having reserved too many sketches to fill $50 orders versus the $150 set orders.  After all, the site still allows a customer to order as many as 100 of the $50 sets, so they should have at least 100 sketches unspoken for, which could be 33 more $150 sets.  I also recall that they don't work on weekends, so hopefully we'll know by tonight.

If they don't restock, I'm wondering whether they might get complaints from people who thought they had 5 more days to order.

My main hope is that orders are enough to convince them to revive postcards and regular Wackys, as I am sick to death of the thin bordered pop-culture and political stuff.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 05:44:00 AM »
agree- and if they start offering unlimited base sets *now*, people are going get pissed. that's not how 'limited supply' items work.

I thought $50 base sets were a steal to begin with, and was surprised they were offered that low. A few others have gone for $59, but now all are $75. Wait and see it that starts trending upwards.

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 05:55:47 AM »
If they don't restock, I'm wondering whether they might get complaints from people who thought they had 5 more days to order.

My main hope is that orders are enough to convince them to revive postcards and regular Wackys, as I am sick to death of the thin bordered pop-culture and political stuff.
they may get a couple of complaints, but that's how these work. The Star Wars limited set sold out early as well, several days before the expiration.
Heck, the daily "24 hour" baseball cards that are limited supply items, like autographs and relic pieces, sell out within minutes of being posted. Sometimes mere seconds! (there's a dealer somewhere with a webpage sniffer or inside knowledge, that's for sure). By the time the email notification is sent an hour or two later, all the cards are already sold out!

A full sell out of Old School had better be enough to convince them. There's clearly been a bias against Wackys going on. All these recent GPK sets have routinely had poor to piss-poor sales, but they just keep chugging along. Where was the ultimatum that if the GPK Classic set didn't sell extremely well, that it would be the end of the line?? They only sold 156 Classic sets. Topps has got to be sitting on hundreds and hundreds of leftover sketches from that set.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:57:39 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 06:27:22 AM »
they may get a couple of complaints, but that's how these work. The Star Wars limited set sold out early as well, several days before the expiration.
Heck, the daily "24 hour" baseball cards that are limited supply items, like autographs and relic pieces, sell out within minutes of being posted. Sometimes mere seconds! (there's a dealer somewhere with a webpage sniffer or inside knowledge, that's for sure). By the time the email notification is sent an hour or two later, all the cards are already sold out!

A full sell out of Old School had better be enough to convince them. There's clearly been a bias against Wackys going on. All these recent GPK sets have routinely had poor to piss-poor sales, but they just keep chugging along. Where was the ultimatum that if the GPK Classic set didn't sell extremely well, that it would be the end of the line?? They only sold 156 Classic sets. Topps has got to be sitting on hundreds and hundreds of leftover sketches from that set.

I guess this isn't "print on demand" like the earlier stuff.  I do hate the selling time limits, since you have to wait until it is too late to order more to see if you really like the product.

I wonder how many people decided to wait until the weekend to indulge their hobby habit and got left out.  I also wonder how many dealers might have tried to corner the market.

And, agreed, if this quick sellout doesn't convince Topps that there's a viable market for new Wackys done in the traditional style, nothing will.  In that case, I can't see myself ever buying another Topps product.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:46:44 AM by RawGoo »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 07:04:19 AM »
As I recall, Topps has "restocked" the website for past Old School products, and that could happen today if it is simply a question of them having reserved too many sketches to fill $50 orders versus the $150 set orders.  After all, the site still allows a customer to order as many as 100 of the $50 sets, so they should have at least 100 sketches unspoken for, which could be 33 more $150 sets.  I also recall that they don't work on weekends, so hopefully we'll know by tonight.

That's true, they may have more to restock. I forgot about that. They should definitely dump the $50 thing though and move any they had for that to the $150 one since no one is buying from that option.

As for the sell out it did say 7 days or until supplies last so can't really fault them for that. They just underestimated the sketch card amount needed or putting three in each grouping was too much and depleted their stock way faster.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »

I would think this would be enough to have another series (and I promise to work them over to get checklists back in in some form and to improve some other issues). Also I can;t see why they wouldn't try postcards now and I will talk to them about an ANS style set. What would you call that? It's not Old School and not Classic so...

The Wacky bias is very weird. They have sold more on average than the GPK so why not have some of the online small sets reflect WPs entirely? There are some WPs in the new Thanksgiving set coming this Tuesday. The GPK set didn't sell well because they made some serious errors. Some of which I helped them fix for the Old School set. It wild have sold much better had it come out after this one. And don;t take what I said about no more WP sets as a threat by them. That was only referring to stuff like Old School, postcards, etc. There would still be retail and various small online offerings. It wasn't a threat. Just makes sense that if you lose money on something you aren't going to continue making it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
agree- and if they start offering unlimited base sets *now*, people are going get pissed. that's not how 'limited supply' items work.

I thought $50 base sets were a steal to begin with, and was surprised they were offered that low. A few others have gone for $59, but now all are $75. Wait and see it that starts trending upwards.

OK, that does make sense. Live and learn. They could also pre-sell more $150 sets and have the artists do more sketch cards. I mean it is print on demand so the sketch cards can easily fall in that category as well. More demand? Draw more.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »
Just got an email that they have restocked the $150 set area. Don't know if it was from the $50 stuff or they had more to add on it's own. Looks like less than 100 are now in the $150 option. No idea if they just always only have 100 in there at any given time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:34:25 AM by slamjim »

Offline fbvikes

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »
Ordered One $50 Set

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
Add 2 more for me from the restocked batch.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
It says it's Sold Out

See, this is one of the EASIEST things to fix and for years its not.   How hard is it to put in "Out Of Stock" or "Sold Out"   This stupid little change can make a huge difference in selling product. We all know when sold out is seen people will move on. Out of stock, people will check back. I've told them this on the phone as far back as OLDS 2 and still nothing. LOL and don't get me started on the CLEAR retail packs (save that for another time).

So, topps is all about the money and financial plan??? Then why do they leave ALL that money on the table with PPP? Piss Poor Planning.   Pass that on Dave.

OH, OLDS 6???      Looks FANTASTIC!!!

Thank you Dave for keeping the ART Old School.

Jim

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

And, agreed, if this quick sellout doesn't convince Topps that there's a viable market for new Wackys done in the traditional style, nothing will.  In that case, I can't see myself ever buying another Topps product.
[/quote]

It selling out so fast is both good and bad. Good, because hopefully it's a shot in the arm to keep things going, adding postcard sets, etc. Bad, because they will want to stick with the $150 price point because it sold out so fast.

I think they should've offered a base set with no sketches, pencil art, etc at a much lower price. But to do so now would not be a good idea. I think it would be a great idea going forward with future sets. The KIS method is always a good idea IMO.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
So is it correct that we know at least 100 $150 sets were
before it went out stock? Our total was about 30 at that
time which would sense that this board accounts for about 1 in 3 sales..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:46:47 AM by DrDeal »

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »
See, this is one of the EASIEST things to fix and for years its not.   How hard is it to put in "Out Of Stock" or "Sold Out".
It did actually say Out Of Stock, so maybe they have learned something?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »
It did actually say Out Of Stock, so maybe they have learned something?

Yes, my mistake. It did not say Sold Out.

Offline drono

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2017, 04:40:24 AM »
It selling out so fast is both good and bad. Good, because hopefully it's a shot in the arm to keep things going, adding postcard sets, etc. Bad, because they will want to stick with the $150 price point because it sold out so fast.

If the price had been $75, I might have bought two, but I definitely wasn't going to do so at $150.  If they had boxes and packs and binders and uncut sheets, oh my, I would've spent more.  I imagine most of us on here would've too!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »
Yes, my mistake. It did not say Sold Out.

So when is the raffle?? And is there any uncut sheets in the raffle ?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
So when is the raffle?? And is there any uncut sheets in the raffle ?

It's Wednesday night. I'm still figuring out a time (and need to learn how to do the video thing on FB. Will announce details on it soon.

It's one painting and four roughs that will be in the raffle. This has nothing to do with Topps so I only have access to what I have so no sheets.

Offline steveandcelia

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
If anyone's keeping track... I also bought a set of three for $150.00.  I never buy sets at Topps, but thought I'd try my luck this time around!!!  Fingers crossed!!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
If anyone's keeping track... I also bought a set of three for $150.00.  I never buy sets at Topps, but thought I'd try my luck this time around!!!  Fingers crossed!!!

You bought three of the $150 sets? If so PM me a copy of your receipt and you'll be entered in the raffle I'm having on Wednesday.

Offline Fool-Aid

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »
Bought 1 complete set $150, art looks great! Price stings..would also have liked the base set option too if they had it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
As of 8 tonight I see 42 sets in the 150 column and 1 in the $50 column. I suspect they probably moved the majority of the $50 stuff to the other column combining the sketch cards because I seriously doubt more than a few people were buying the $50 ones. I wonder if they still have more they can add should the remaining 42 sell. It's all dictated by the amount of sketch cards.

If Neil reads this thread he really should start drawing up postcard ideas right now...looking good for a return

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2017, 04:10:08 AM »
A little late to game here but, I purchased 1 $150 set. As others have stated, I thought the price was a little too steep. Had the price been lower I would have bought multiple sets.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2017, 06:06:43 AM »
OLDS6 appears to be sold out.  I will check back on Monday to see if the replenish the stock. 

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
OLDS6 appears to be sold out.  I will check back on Monday to see if the replenish the stock.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2017, 07:55:20 AM »
Wow! Both the $150 and $50 options are out of stock. This is getting interesting. The sale of sets on the bay for around $50 has slowed down. I wonder if those sales will pick up now.  Can we safely estimate that they have sold 200 of the $150 sets now?  I think it was determined they loaded the site with 100 sets each time they went up for sale right?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »

I think they should've offered a base set with no sketches, pencil art, etc at a much lower price. But to do so now would not be a good idea. I think it would be a great idea going forward with future sets. The KIS method is always a good idea IMO.

So we did it!  The cupboard is now bare, and everything sold out!

Hopefully, Topps will reconsider their past practices and once again begin to take more of an additional approach - and approach that has served them, fans, and collectors well for the past 50 years.

I agree with g.u.e.s.t. in that a simple base set should be offered next time around in the future.  I'm not crazy about the price, however, say around $100.  For those who desire a base set, this would work well.  For those who crave something a bit more - sketches, pencil roughs, parallels - offer a base plus set for $150.  This not only pertains to Old School, but all future sets.  I am not an expert by no means, however I would suggest 1 $150 base plus set for every 3 or 4 $100 base sets.

Oh, and please, no WP / GPK mixes (as was hinted at with the upcoming Thanksgiving release.)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:04:08 AM by Baked Bears »

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2017, 08:04:25 AM »
I agree with g.u.e.s.t. in that a simple base set should be offered next time around in the future.  I'm not crazy about the price, however, say around $100.  For those who desire a base set, this would work well.  For those who crave something a bit more - sketches, pencil roughs, parallels - offer a base set plus for $150.  This not only pertains to Old School, but all future sets.

Oh, and please, no WP / GPK mixes.

Thanks!
With folks like Matt already offering a dozen or more base sets under $50 each on eBay, it doesn't seem like a $100 base set would get much traction. Although I know some refuse to buy from eBay or deal with PayPal, so there's always that.

And don't hold your breath on WP / GPK mixes. We haven't seen how the Thanksgiving cards are going to be sold. But they best be separate!!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »
The Wacky bias is very weird. They have sold more on average than the GPK so why not have some of the online small sets reflect WPs entirely? There are some WPs in the new Thanksgiving set coming this Tuesday.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:55:35 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
One thing to note is that it is extremely likely that 3-4 dealers like CardGary may have purchased 100+ of these sets. I locked my sets in so I am happy.  Let's see if anymore show up tomorrow on Topps.