Author Topic: LOST WACKYS  (Read 76102 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: LOST WACKYS
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Anyone faking original series ludlows needs to be under the jail.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #246 on: June 27, 2018, 04:00:19 AM »
I agree. I think I'd just extend the tag line under the one that's there: "by scaring the devil outta you!"

That is the perfect tag line, BigTomi.  Well done!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #247 on: June 27, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »
Two years ago at the Allentown show a FAKE Red Ludlow showed up for one of the 1st couple of series.

I really felt bad for the person who had the card.

Collectables showed be just that - technology has allowed many to FAKE and STEAL and it only dilutes the value of the real products.  I have many rare and unique items.  I would be reallllly pissed off if someone started doing knock off Ratz and Cracked Animals die-cuts, for example, diluting the true value for one of these.

#StayWacky
#FederalPrisonForCounterfietors

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2018, 04:32:47 AM »
Two years ago at the Allentown show a FAKE Red Ludlow showed up for one of the 1st couple of series.

Collectables showed be just that - technology has allowed many to FAKE and STEAL and it only dilutes the value of the real products.  I have many rare and unique items.  I would be reallllly pissed off if someone started doing knock off Ratz and Cracked Animals die-cuts, for example, diluting the true value for one of these.

#StayWacky

Hopefully die-cuts would be too hard to fake, but who knows.  There's at least one person on ebay trying to get big bucks for what is obviously a repro Ratz - anyone but a total newbie would have to spot that.  I still have a similar card from 15 or so years ago (that was never intended to be mistaken for the real thing), think it cost me $10, and I put it in the pages with my punched set until I got a punched one.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »

#StayWacky
How was it determined the card was a fake?  Which title?  Who was the seller(rhetorical question but answer if possible anyway).
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
How was it determined the card was a fake?  Which title?  Who was the seller(rhetorical question but answer if possible anyway).

At the last Allentown show someone had a couple of 1st series ludlows I believed were fake because the ludlow printing ended short of the edge of the card, which did not make sense to me. So it seemed like a normal white back had the ludlow imprint stamped onto it or printed onto it, but it didn’t reach the edge of the card.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »
I remember those Dave. I believe you weren't the only one that thought they were suspicious.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »
I remember those Dave. I believe you weren't the only one that thought they were suspicious.
Who was the seller?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Who was the seller?

They were not sold at the show. The owner of them didn’t really discuss who he got them from, at least not with me.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »
Who was the seller?

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt had some of those in Stock.

Jim

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: July 01, 2018, 07:03:01 AM »
Who is paying $150 for things like this?  It is acknowledged as a repro, but sold under the "Lost Wacky Packages" banner/brand.......  What really scares me is wondering what else can be printed now.  Hopefully actual die-cuts are too tough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/263772280146?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

What I find funny is that it is listed as a red ludlow, and the scan is a black ludlow.  Has anyone ever bought one to see if these stickers are kiss-cut?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #256 on: July 01, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »
What I find funny is that it is listed as a red ludlow, and the scan is a black ludlow.  Has anyone ever bought one to see if these stickers are kiss-cut?

Matt gave me one Cracked and one Ratz at a show a year ago. He gave me white backs, and kiss-cut.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #257 on: July 01, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
Who is paying $150 for things like this?  It is acknowledged as a repro, but sold under the "Lost Wacky Packages" banner/brand.......  What really scares me is wondering what else can be printed now.  Hopefully actual die-cuts are too tough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/263772280146?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Astounding, isn't it?  (Not necessarily surprising, though, considering what one individual was paying for the "Lost" diamonds.)  Even more ludicrous is the addition of the word "rare" in the description.  How can a freshly-printed reproduction be rare?

I, too, wonder what might be printed up next?  Green ludlows?  A misprint Run Tony with only 4 flying bullets instead of 5?  A "newly discovered" Grime with "dusty-greasy-heavy chunks?"  A 16th series Gillo Port with no copyright?  A "rare" Goodbye Kitty with yellow buttons instead of white buttons?

I also wonder how long this has been going on?  Years and years?  I've been following certain vendors for years who miraculously always seem to have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of "rarities."  This, of course, begs another question: How many cards in our collections are illegitimate?  We would all like to say none, obviously, but it does make one wonder. 

Or does it even matter to some people?

And speaking of high prices, the following single card just went for a little over $250:

Better yet, there's more to come!

5 Years in the Making!

Lost Wacky Series 4 will be released later this year.

30 New Titles!

4 Star Wars Bonus Stickers!
(Maybe Disney will intervene, being Topps legal dept.always seem to be off playing with themselves.)

3 New Ovary Show Variations!  (Just what we needed!)

(And best take a seat for this next one, RawGoo!)

Donald Trump!

Newly discovered art by Norm Saunders and Jay Lynch !

This is a proof set that is on special paper with no die cuts

For those of you who are going to criticize this unique, fabulous set - yet buy it anyway - I am offering the following ez-to-install program(s) that will enable you to slip in bids in the last fraction of a second!  Wow!  Must be seen to be believed!

Basic Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/10 of a second. (Price:$100)

Deluxe Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/100 of a second. (Price:$250)

Super Deluxe Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/1000 of a second. (Price:$500)

Premium Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/1,000,000 of a second. (Price:$1000)

Thank you for shopping and come back soon!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
Astounding, isn't it?  (Not necessarily surprising, though, considering what one individual was paying for the "Lost" diamonds.)  Even more ludicrous is the addition of the word "rare" in the description.  How can a freshly-printed reproduction be rare?
I believe it's the same individual that had the high bid on nearly all the silver, gold and diamonds.

seeing 'rare' on that repro auction did give me a great laugh this morning.

oh man, just noticed your 'auction snipe' info. Sounds totally worth it! LOL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:39:00 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »

I, too, wonder what might be printed up next?  Green ludlows?  A misprint Run Tony with only 4 flying bullets instead of 5?  A "newly discovered" Grime with "dusty-greasy-heavy chunks?"  A 16th series Gillo Port with no copyright?  A "rare" Goodbye Kitty with yellow buttons instead of white buttons?

I also wonder how long this has been going on?  Years and years?  I've been following certain vendors for years who miraculously always seem to have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of "rarities."  This, of course, begs another question: How many cards in our collections are illegitimate?  We would all like to say none, obviously, but it does make one wonder. 

Or does it even matter to some people?

And speaking of high prices, the following single card just went for a little over $250:

Better yet, there's more to come!

5 Years in the Making!

Lost Wacky Series 4 will be released later this year.

30 New Titles!

4 Star Wars Bonus Stickers!
(Maybe Disney will intervene, being Topps legal dept.always seem to be off playing with themselves.)

3 New Ovary Show Variations!  (Just what we needed!)

(And best take a seat for this next one, RawGoo!)

Donald Trump!

Newly discovered art by Norm Saunders and Jay Lynch !

This is a proof set that is on special paper with no die cuts

For those of you who are going to criticize this unique, fabulous set - yet buy it anyway - I am offering the following ez-to-install program(s) that will enable you to slip in bids in the last fraction of a second!  Wow!  Must be seen to be believed!

Basic Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/10 of a second. (Price:$100)

Deluxe Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/100 of a second. (Price:$250)

Super Deluxe Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/1000 of a second. (Price:$500)

Premium Program: Allows you to slip in bids in the last 1/1,000,000 of a second. (Price:$1000)

Thank you for shopping and come back soon!

Faking vintage cards is nowhere near as easy as some people make it sound. They might look believable on eBay, but for those who have examined thousands of vintage wackys and are intimately familiar with their characteristics it is usually pretty easy to spot fakes.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
Faking vintage cards is nowhere near as easy as some people make it sound. They might look believable on eBay, but for those who have examined thousands of vintage wackys and are intimately familiar with their characteristics it is usually pretty easy to spot fakes.
Agreed, but you're thinking within this Forum community which consists of mostly savvy, experienced Wacky collectors and enthusiasts.  There must be a much larger outside market of folks who remember Wackys fondly enough to drop some ridiculous amounts of money for what may look like or be described as a rarity, but don't have the time or patience to become knowledgeable enough about the hobby to develop the trained, experienced eye necessary to spot fakes or homemades.  Still blows my mind that Topps isn't aggressively going after this.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »

Unfortunately, almost everything I buy nowadays is via the internet.  I miss being able to go to card shows, even the small monthly one they used to have in Rockville Centre.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
Still blows my mind that Topps isn't aggressively going after this.

There's no time. It's July... October is just around the corner... they have to get their legal team whipped into shape in preparation of shutting down another Halloween collection that could possibly sell 150 sets. Priorities!!
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
oh man, just noticed your 'auction snipe' info. Sounds totally worth it! LOL

Patrick, eventually somebody is bound to do it.  Just a matter of time!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »
Unfortunately, almost everything I buy nowadays is via the internet.  I miss being able to go to card shows, even the small monthly one they used to have in Rockville Centre.

And buying off of the internet is where things keep getting trickier and trickier.  I'd much rather hold the real thing in my hand and see it in person.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:20:23 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »
There's no time. It's July... October is just around the corner... they have to get their legal team whipped into shape in preparation of shutting down another Halloween collection that could possibly sell 150 sets. Priorities!!

Dude, don't even say it!  Not even joking!

Neil did mention something about the possibility of a set of some sort this autumn.  Let's hope he figured out a way around the b---s--- that dealt us all such a blow last year.  Or maybe there's the possibility of a Halloween postcard set?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:19:42 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
And buying off of the internet is where things keep getting trickier and trickier.  I'd much rather hold the real thing in my hand and see it in person.

I’d much rather do that too, but everything is returnable on ebay.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »
For Sale to Inexperienced Collectors Only!

(Because the experienced collectors always get all of the good stuff first.)

Ultra Rare "Run Tony" with Missing Flying Bullet!  $1500

Just found!  Only a Limited Secret Amount Produced!  45 Years in the Making!

Ever the prankster and knowing he could mess with collectors' minds decades into the future, Norm Saunders had a limited secret amount of Run Tony cards specially printed that depicted only four flying bullets, unlike the more familiar Run Tony cards featuring five flying bullets. When Topps discovered what Saunders had done, they halted production on all Run Tony cards, but alas, too late!

Note: This is not Photoshopped, however even if it was, heck, it's still cool anyway and definitely worth every penny!

Get 'em while supplies last!

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2018, 06:50:39 AM »
Even better than a missing bullet, now we have mashups with 50's pulp art (are all the women from Saunders art maybe? I don't have a reference)

eBay auction: #163138214531

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: July 07, 2018, 07:11:52 AM »
Even better than a missing bullet, now we have mashups with 50's pulp art (are all the women from Saunders art maybe? I don't have a reference)

eBay auction: #163138214531

That certainly looks like Saunders art, but I don't recognize any of the 6 women from my 54 trading card set.  Does anyone have the book that David Saunders released in 2009?  Perhaps these images were obtained from that?

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »
That certainly looks like Saunders art, but I don't recognize any of the 6 women from my 54 trading card set.  Does anyone have the book that David Saunders released in 2009?  Perhaps these images were obtained from that?
I was going to look through my book later and maybe Google-fu the images as well to find the sources

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2018, 07:43:39 AM »
I was going to look through my book later and maybe Google-fu the images as well to find the sources

Google-fu?  Please forgive my ignorance   :-[

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
Yes, I noticed that they are now doing pulp pinups mashups.  You have to admit they are pretty cool.  It is a Homage to wackys.  A parody of a parody.  I personally like this new set. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »
I think they have a great idea... almost. I wish they would write a new gag title for the product that better fit the pin up girl theme, stealing the original Wacky gags and slogans is uncreative and TM infringement. Disappointing to see them come so close to a new spin on Wackys, only to fall short by stealing existing art and gags... again. I'd have gladly helped them write original gags that would make these stand all on their own. Maybe it's not too late to fix?
Smokin' Joe

Online Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »
All new original product parodies and pin up girls would be good. I do like these but 13 bucks a card is too much for my budget, and I'm guessing these will sell for much more.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
Not sure how cool I think this latest effort is. What is the point of putting a pinup girl in place of a wacky character?  Why is that cool?  I can see putting the wrong character on a card as was done with Chrome mixed up cards. But these pinups were not even drawn by a Topps artist correct? What am I missing here?

That is what I was thinking. They look nice but how does that enhance existing Wackys? Maybe if these were new parodies, but as Joe says below, borrowing tag lines from existing Wackys and coupling with artwork, no matter how nice, is just lazy and mostly meaningless.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
I think they have a great idea... almost. I wish they would write a new gag title for the product that better fit the pin up girl theme, stealing the original Wacky gags and slogans is uncreative and TM infringement. Disappointing to see them come so close to a new spin on Wackys, only to fall short by stealing existing art and gags... again. I'd have gladly helped them write original gags that would make these stand all on their own. Maybe it's not too late to fix?

Joe,

Why don't you produce a set?  (Maybe 12, being there's 12 months in a year?)  And make it completely legal and legit:  Your art, your gags, etc..  I'd bet your set would be better and funnier and make more sense.  These other guys are simply mashing together stuff that isn't even theirs to begin with.  The pin-up girls may give the set a unique look, but it's not funny.  Hell, Sleestak would be funnier!

On another note, I wonder if these would look something like the tentative Old School 40s or 50s sets that Dave Gross had once mentioned?

Online Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »
Sleestaks are funny!!!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #278 on: July 08, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »
Joe,

Why don't you produce a set?  (Maybe 12, being there's 12 months in a year?)  And make it completely legal and legit:  Your art, your gags, etc..  I'd bet your set would be better and funnier and make more sense.  These other guys are simply mashing together stuff that isn't even theirs to begin with.  The pin-up girls may give the set a unique look, but it's not funny.  Hell, Sleestak would be funnier!

On another note, I wonder if these would look something like the tentative Old School 40s or 50s sets that Dave Gross had once mentioned?

Too much money to produce and commission a set like this.  That is why I would not make my own set. I personally just like their idea.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2018, 03:45:11 AM »
Not sure how cool I think this latest effort is. What is the point of putting a pinup girl in place of a wacky character?  Why is that cool?  I can see putting the wrong character on a card as was done with Chrome mixed up cards. But these pinups were not even drawn by a Topps artist correct? What am I missing here?
"The heart likes, what the heart likes". I just like the theme that they did.  I am not talking right or wrong, just that I like the theme. If they put out a set, at a reasonable price, I would buy it.  I am not interested in ludlow back or 1/5 diamond cards. Just a set at a reasonable cost.