Author Topic: 2018 Wacky Packages goes to the Movies  (Read 56395 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: 2018 Wacky Packages goes to the Movies
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »

Just curious... do you know when the Disney C&D was implemented?

The minute Eisner came on board

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
The Bar-B-Q one is my gag, based on a Barbie movie that was due out soon.  the Frosty one was a surprise that was intended for the On Demand holiday set and I didn't even know that this was excepted until mid February.  I have no idea of the movie correlation but I'm not a movie fanatic in general I confess.

lots of great stuff in this set and it's killing me that I'm away and thinking there's a big box of product waiting for me 1500 miles away or so  ;). I'm still trying to figure out these subsets though.

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2018, 12:24:15 PM »
The Bar-B-Q one is my gag, based on a Barbie movie that was due out soon.

Really, could you show us the rough?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »
Hey Baked Bears! If it should be box of tissues, that would be my error, but I did search just that as I wrote the gag and seemed to find more references to "box of tissue" so I went with that.

Zerostreet,

Like I mentioned, I could be mistaken in regard to this.  My comment wasn't implying that you were in error, though, but rather Topps - who has a proven history of printing typos, etc., and who has just committed one of their more spectacular blunders (which is why my comments were grouped together in the same post.)

By the way, love "Monions" and showed it to my students who also appreciated it, as well.

BB
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:36:47 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline zerostreet

• The Art of Robert Jimenez
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
Zerostreet,

Like I mentioned, I could be mistaken in regard to this.  My comment wasn't implying that you were in error, though, but rather Topps - who has a proven history of printing typos, etc., and who has just committed one of their more spectacular blunders (which is why my comments were grouped together in the same post.)

By the way, love "Monions" and showed it to my students who also appreciated it, as well.

BB

Thanks! No worries, I understood where you were coming from. In my short time doing base cards, I've had Topps rewrite some of my gags. I do proceed hoping they are checked somewhere down the line (beyond what I may research/proof read myself!)

Glad you and your students liked Monions!

R.
The Art of Robert Jimenez
www.zerostreet.com

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
noticed this variant while sorting cards, One grey and one blue.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2018, 06:12:55 AM »
noticed this variant while sorting cards, One grey and one blue.
cool, I'll have to look for that if I ever get my cards. Haven't even received a shipping notice yet from Blowout.
Previous releases they were on top of things.

Offline zerostreet

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2018, 06:32:33 AM »
cool, I'll have to look for that if I ever get my cards. Haven't even received a shipping notice yet from Blowout.
Previous releases they were on top of things.

I ordered a collectors box from Adam&Dave. I wrote to ask why it hasn't shipped and they told me the official release date from Topps is 3/21.
www.zerostreet.com

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
Looks like we might have a legit new lost 90's Wacky in the Classic Film set?

The "No Hair on Elm Street" in the Classic Film set is a spot on parody of the late 80's/early 90's VHS video cover, and inclusion of Sinead O'Conner is of the zeitgeist.
This one looks to be in a plastic clam shell case versus the simple cardboard slip cover that was common, but provides a way to have hair strands sticking out all sides.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:29:41 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »
Mine are coming from D&A as well....... Hmmmm

Topps has the Collector's boxes on their site as of this post!?!?

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
Topps has the Collector's boxes on their site as of this post!?!?
yep, they went up Wednesday. But don't tell them they're not officially released yet.  :-\

think these are the first collector boxes they've sold online, for either WP or GPK

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
I just looked at the Topps site, and was surprised to see that the box and packs make the stickers look like they are the traditional black border on a white background, not the full bleed black. 

After checking out the variations, subsets, and prices, looks like I'll just be buying a base set on ebay.  I do miss the fun of pack killing   :sad:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:45:59 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2018, 11:20:57 AM »
From what I've seen thus far, there are some nice titles in "Wacky Packages Goes to the Movies."

Once again, though, I am confused as to what age bracket Topps is targeting.  I was under the impression that these titles would only be based upon recent theatrical releases.  Instead, they span decades.  If Topps is targeting 8 - 10 year old children, many of these titles will be completely unfamiliar to them, particularly when it comes to the chase sets.  In addition, as much as I appreciate, say, "The Scare Bears: Reign of Terror," is this title really appropriate for this age bracket (especially with its decapitated and disemboweled children?) 

Also, if Topps is catering to the 50+ age bracket, I wish they would have offered collectors something new (as opposed to titles we have already seen before) - even a small 10 card chase set featuring parodies of "The Exorcist," "Saturday Night Fever," and other classic films.  (True, the 8 - 10 year old audience might not "get" these.  But they're not going to get "The Da Vinci Cold" or "The Woman With The Draggin' Tattoo," either.  In fact, I'll go as far as to say that kids today will probably be more familiar with "Saturday Night Fever" - and John Travolta's famous disco stance - than "Da Vinci" or "Draggin' Tattoo.")  Instead, Topps gave us (at least) 30 - 40 titles that most of us already have in our possession, albeit in different forms (which serves only to generate a larger profit margin.)  I, for one, would have gladly spent a few dollars more, however, for an additional small chase set as described above.  ("Creature Crackers" was great.  I'll always love it.  But is there actually a demand for it?  A demand so great that people today are clamoring for a reprint?)

I was also under the impression that Topps altered the black borders on WP to accommodate larger artwork.  Yet, we still have the same size artwork, only this time around with an added WP logo.  I do, however, appreciate the black backgrounds - especially when compared to some of the chase set backgrounds, specifically the classic film title backgrounds which I find highly distracting.  I'd rather be dazzled with quality, craftsmanship, artistry, and meticulous, well thought out planning than just crazy designs and bright colors.

It would also have been nice to parody Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Muppets, etc..  One would think that with Eisner's many contacts, he would have a bit of sway with Disney.  I would think that Disney would welcome the opportunity for additional - and free - advertising, if handled correctly.  Not all parodies have to be gross, blood splattered, demeaning, and/or disparaging.  It's almost a lost art now, but some things can simply just be funny without going over the top.  ("Monions" would be a good example.)  And if it's a matter of licensing fees, well then, pay up.  Sometimes it's necessary to make an investment to garner greater returns.  I'm sure Topps pays other licensing fees.  So what's the deal when it comes to WP?

Again, some good artwork and humor here - and the "lost" cards are a nice bonus - but as with the 50th Anniversary release, a set of this magnitude could have been better, something refreshing to astound you, take your breath away, and make you gasp, "Wow!  Now this is a damn fine set!"  (Instead of "Hmmm.  Well, half of the 150 card set is good.")

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:34:22 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
I went small on this release. So far I have purchased a Base set, Concession Subset, Classic Film Subset.   The Patch cards are meh. The base set has some great titles in it; so I am psyched for new wackies.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:52:17 PM by DrDeal »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
I found 4 blasters at Fred Meyer yesterday, Nothing at target and I haven't received any that I ordered online yet. Here's the start of my collection. going to try and get variants of all my gags, the plates might be tough to find....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
I've seen some of the great new titles posted here, which is why I'll buy a base set.  But Topps is recycling an awful lot of titles in the subsets, and I can't see chasing those; I bought Flashbacks because they weren't expensive, and I could stick them.  And I hate the loss of the kiss-cuts.  Between that and the full bleed black, these won't even be fun to stick or make magnets of, and will probably just end up in a box somewhere.

« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
The Bar-B-Q one is my gag, based on a Barbie movie that was due out soon.  the Frosty one was a surprise that was intended for the On Demand holiday set and I didn't even know that this was excepted until mid February.  I have no idea of the movie correlation but I'm not a movie fanatic in general I confess.

lots of great stuff in this set and it's killing me that I'm away and thinking there's a big box of product waiting for me 1500 miles away or so  ;). I'm still trying to figure out these subsets though.

The Bar-B-Q sticker is one of my favorites in this set.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
Some more:

Jurassic World and Planet of the Apes:

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
Man, some of these are way out there!

I think Smokin' Joe topped his own level of weirdness with this last one!  One of the most surreal Wackys yet!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »

I think Smokin' Joe topped his own level of weirdness with this last one!  One of the most surreal Wackys yet!

I am out of touch with current movies, and don't even get some of these, including Botched Baby.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

I agree on this one. The Botched Baby Wacky is crazy-and I mean crazy as in insane. It looks like an Ugly Stickers reject that didn't know when to say "when"-or when to say "Stop!". I mean it-if looks could kill, then just a glance at that thing and you'd be dead (by the way, I mean all this in a good way).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:02:28 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
I am out of touch with current movies, and don't even get some of these, including Botched Baby.

Don't feel bad, RawGoo.  I'm in the same boat.  (For some reason, I was always under the impression that life got easier as you got older and you had more time for movies and other fun stuff.  Yeah, right.)  I've had to look up some of these titles to better appreciate the humor, and remember, some titles - like "Jurassic Squirrel" (which I didn't get at all for a while) - are based on movies yet to be released.

(Hmmm... I wonder what this latest Jurassic Park feature is going to be about?  Could it be... let's see... wild guess, here... the follies of mankind and dinosaurs running amuck?)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:32:44 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
I looked on e-bay, this is the 3rd. Wacky Packages series in a row to have a Peanuts comic strip related Wacky (Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversay had Lucy's Monthly, and Old School 6 had Scoopy Sno-Crush Machine).

No Sonic the Hedgehog Wacky in Go To The Movies?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »

Just curious... do you know when the Disney C&D was implemented? I remember some sketch cards portraying the AJERX character as various Marvel heroes for one of the ANS sets, I believe. I will have to check at home tonight. Either they were issued before the C&D or they snuck in under the radar.  They may have even been issued prior to the Disney acquisition of Marvel.

The C&D from Disney caused a planned Wacky Packages Star Wars series in 2014 to be withdrawn.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »

There is some great art in this series! I think these two are my favorite titles so far, truly Wacky. Way to go Joe!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
no luck finding any Wacky movies today, but I found these.

Offline zerostreet

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »

Where?!
www.zerostreet.com

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
Don't feel bad, RawGoo.  I'm in the same boat.  (For some reason, I was always under the impression that life got easier as you got older and you had more time for movies and other fun stuff.  Yeah, right.)  I've had to look up some of these titles to better appreciate the humor, and remember, some titles - like "Jurassic Squirrel" (which I didn't get at all for a while) - are based on movies yet to be released.

The last new movie I got to see was Star Wars Rogue 1....  I have a subtitle for that one, but don't want to be a spoiler.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
Where?!
Fred meyer,  think they are also called Kroger in other parts of the country.

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »

How much?

and can't believe they are *still* trying to unload ANS2 after all these years

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
How much?

and can't believe they are *still* trying to unload ANS2 after all these years
   5 bucks for 4 packs, one chrome pack in each. found some cool refractors i didn't have, and tattoos and magnets.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2018, 06:00:17 PM »
Nice find Chad! Robert and I were just talking about those packs of today in fact.

opened my box and got the same as Robert, a silver Six Dollar Man.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
The last new movie I got to see was Star Wars Rogue 1....  I have a subtitle for that one, but don't want to be a spoiler.

I may have you beat.  I think mine was "Guardians of the Galaxy" - the first one.  (Thank goodness for DVDs!  Or maybe they're the reason I don't go out to the movies as often?  That, or the fact that when I take people out to the movies as a treat, I'm instantly out at least $50.)

And come on, spoil us!

On a similar note, is this set the first time WP parodied "products" before they even existed?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
I may have you beat.  I think mine was "Guardians of the Galaxy" - the first one.  (Thank goodness for DVDs!  Or maybe they're the reason I don't go out to the movies as often?  That, or the fact that when I take people out to the movies as a treat, I'm instantly out at least $50.)

And come on, spoil us!

On a similar note, is this set the first time WP parodied "products" before they even existed?

We used to have a spoiler feature, but I believe it was lost with the last "upgrade."  Oh well, it's been out for over a year, so hopefully this won't spoil anything for anybody.

I think of the movie as "Star Wars Rogue 1: Everyone Dies, even the Droid."

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »
I'm the worst person at the movies I think the last one I went to was "Earthquake" and the theaters had a special feature where the seats shook a little? I hated that hehe I'm just very fidgety the seats bother my back a lot and I'll drive you nuts talking too much before I fall asleep after 30 minutes

Or maybe it was ""Grease" where I saw about 1/8th of the movie before the theatre lost power and it never came back on after about an hour of waiting and they sent us all home

anything