Author Topic: Forgotten Song  (Read 215629 times)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
Re: Forgotten Song
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
Ok, here are some for ya:  It's A Beautiful Day (White Bird), Bloodrock (D.O.A), Jigsaw (SkyHigh), Wall Of Voodoo (Mexican Radio), Right Said Fred (I'm To Sexy).

I have all of those on my iPod - though I'm not very fond of Bloodrock.  Like the others just fine.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Playskull

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
Ok, here are some for ya:  It's A Beautiful Day (White Bird), Bloodrock (D.O.A), Jigsaw (SkyHigh), Wall Of Voodoo (Mexican Radio), Right Said Fred (I'm To Sexy).
I wouldn't call the Right Said Fred song "forgotten."  I still hear that one quite a bit.  Unfortunately.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
I have all of those on my iPod - though I'm not very fond of Bloodrock.  Like the others just fine.

My brother or sister (who were a few years older than me) had D.O.A. on a 45 when I was young.  I loved that song because it was so gruesome!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
I wouldn't call the Right Said Fred song "forgotten."  I still hear that one quite a bit.  Unfortunately.
I was talking to my son's therapist recently about the important functionality of forgetting and how in some autistic kids it is missing - in some cases more than others.
I need to forget some stuff better.

Funny, I forget many things I want to remember and remember many things I want to forget.
go figure

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ</a>

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »

My wife will often turn to our dog Fred after saying something pithy and say "Right, Fred?". After a few beats she then answers herself with the inevitable "Right Said Fred". Our teenager hates it.

Never a dull moment around here.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »
My wife will often turn to our dog Fred after saying something pithy and say "Right, Fred?". After a few beats she then answers herself with the inevitable "Right Said Fred". Our teenager hates it.

Never a dull moment around here.
That’s funny. I’m glad other families have a fun sense of humor. If your teenager hid their annoyance, you two might forget about saying that!

Since he was a baby, my wife and I have sometimes called our son as “Mr. Fung”, from the OJ trial. When there is confusion or we are trying to make a point, we ask him in Barry Scheck style, “What about THAT, Mr Fung?” Some day he’ll ask us what the heck that meant. I hope we haven't harmed his psychological development.

Here’s a song that doesn’t get much airplay anymore. (it’s so lame when he claps!)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSADyRR8x8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSADyRR8x8</a>

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 03:03:55 AM »
Man, those folks in the audience looked seriously bored!  But when he claps, they come alive!
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
That’s funny. I’m glad other families have a fun sense of humor. If your teenager hid their annoyance, you two might forget about saying that!

Since he was a baby, my wife and I have sometimes called our son as “Mr. Fung”, from the OJ trial. When there is confusion or we are trying to make a point, we ask him in Barry Scheck style, “What about THAT, Mr Fung?” Some day he’ll ask us what the heck that meant. I hope we haven't harmed his psychological development.

Mr. Fung would be a great name for our next dog! My wife would have a blast asking the dog, “What about THAT, Mr Fung?” 

And to think we were going to call the next dog Tungsten. Full name - Tungsten J. Sniffbottom, the turd.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
And to think we were going to call the next dog Tungsten. Full name - Tungsten J. Sniffbottom, the turd.
That’s a great name! Huge bonus points for "the turd"!

“Tungsten” is an awesome name. And the nickname “Tung” isn’t too shabby either.

The word tungsten reminds me of the fact that Gurgle recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers. Aren’t tungsten and zircon members of the same family? (As someone who has used a wide variety of tweezers during my career, I’m still trying to figure that one out!)

When my wife was pregnant and we were discussing every boy’s name under the sun, one of my goofy ideas was to call my son, "Relish". Seven years later she continues to shake her head at the idea, but I still think "Relish" is cool, although I realize a kid could get teased to death for having that name.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »

When my wife was pregnant and we were discussing every boy’s name under the sun, one of my goofy ideas was to call my son, "Relish". Seven years later she continues to shake her head at the idea, but I still think "Relish" is cool, although I realize a kid could get teased to death for having that name.

I also had some wife rejected suggestions for kids' names. When our first was in the oven, the singer Juice Newton was popular. I thought Juice would be a cool name. Shot down! When the 2nd one was fermenting, I suggested Lupe (pronounced Loopy) since everyone would call it that "Loopy Leibacher" kid anyway. Denied! We did call the first one "Grubby Z" (z short for Zygote) during the early months in the womb. After she was born the nickname Miss Creasote (think Mr. Creasote from MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING OF LIFE) stuck for several years because of her mastery of projectile vomiting. I hope my kids won't go broke from therapist bills in the future.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
I also had some wife rejected suggestions for kids' names. When our first was in the oven, the singer Juice Newton was popular. I thought Juice would be a cool name. Shot down! When the 2nd one was fermenting, I suggested Lupe (pronounced Loopy) since everyone would call it that "Loopy Leibacher" kid anyway. Denied! We did call the first one "Grubby Z" (z short for Zygote) during the early months in the womb. After she was born the nickname Miss Creasote (think Mr. Creasote from MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING OF LIFE) stuck for several years because of her mastery of projectile vomiting. I hope my kids won't go broke from therapist bills in the future.
dang I'm laughing - Grubby Z was shot down?? !!
I LOVE that. Coulda been "G-Z" for short
Zygote, too funny, I really like that

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
dang I'm laughing - Grubby Z was shot down?? !!
I LOVE that. Coulda been "G-Z" for short
Zygote, too funny, I really like that

Yeah, wives have no sense of humor about such things. Actually, we both did call our daughter "Grubby Z" until about the 6th month of pregnancy but then the ultrasounds starting looking decidedly non-grubby like.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »
That’s a great name! Huge bonus points for "the turd"!

It's even more fun to say - I like getting a chuckle out of my nephews when I add "the turd".

The word tungsten reminds me of the fact that Gurgle recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers. Aren’t tungsten and zircon members of the same family? (As someone who has used a wide variety of tweezers during my career, I’m still trying to figure that one out!)

I'm pretty sure the zircon-encrusted tweezers comes from Frank Zappa. Gurgle can correct me if he's actually reading this stuff. ( I don't know about the relationship between Tungsten and Zircon, so I'll leave that)

I like the idea of calling a kid "Relish", it's kinda like Costanza wanting to name his hypothetical kid "Seven". I once suggested my friend name his kid "Awning". He had a monosyllabic common last name, and I thought it needed some relish!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »
Magic - Pilot, Love is like Oxygen, Fox on the Run - Sweet (I really dug Sweet, they were the heavy metal pop group of the 70's)

And before someone says it - Exluding Zepplin of course, but they're not Pop.

I also like Abba, those vocal harmonies are just soo cool. Damn, they nailed it. Some of their songs were a little too drawn out, but that's what was happening in the early 70's, a sort of story telling song about an experience in detail. Now society has ADD, so you cant do that anymore!

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline MountainGoo

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »

You are correct, but maybe it should have been forgotten.

Here are a few more goodies:  Pacific Electric & Gas ( Are You Ready), Bulldog (No), Mouth & McNeil (How Do You Do), Daniel Boone (Beautiful Sunday) Focus (Hocus Pocus), Ace (How Long), Zager & Evans (In the Year 2525).
Run To The Hills...Run For Your Life

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Oh, I love Hocus Pocus and In the Year 2525! Awesome songs. Anyone remember Frijid Pink's version of House of the Rising Sun?

In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find
In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
Everything you think, do, and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got not nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you
In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
In the year 7510
If God's a-comin' he ought to make it by then
Maybe he'll look around himself and say
Guess it's time for the Judgement day
In the year 8510
God is gonna shake his mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down and start again
In the year 9595
I'm kinda wondering if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been 10,000 years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what he never knew
Now man's reign is through
But through the eternal night
The twinkling of starlight
So very far away
Maybe it's only yesterday
In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find
In the year 3535
Everything you think, do or say
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »
Oh, I love Hocus Pocus and In the Year 2525! Awesome songs. Anyone remember Frijid Pink's version of House of the Rising Sun?

In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find
In the year 3535
Everything you think, do, and say
In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got not nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you
In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
In the year 7510
If God's a-comin' he ought to make it by then
Maybe he'll look around himself and say
Guess it's time for the Judgement day
In the year 8510
God is gonna shake his mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down and start again
In the year 9595
I'm kinda wondering if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been 10,000 years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what he never knew
Now man's reign is through
But through the eternal night
The twinkling of starlight
So very far away
Maybe it's only yesterday
In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find
In the year 3535
Everything you think, do or say
Sadly, I could probably have written down those lyrics from memory. I can't remember what I did this morning but I can remember a hit from 1969. It was #1 for 6 weeks.
By the way, the song was brilliantly parodied in the new season of Futurama. It was probably the best episode of the entire series. A time travel spoof called "The Late Phillip J. Fry".

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »
Sadly, I could probably have written down those lyrics from memory. I can't remember what I did this morning but I can remember a hit from 1969. It was #1 for 6 weeks.
By the way, the song was brilliantly parodied in the new season of Futurama. It was probably the best episode of the entire series. A time travel spoof called "The Late Phillip J. Fry".
that was a great Futurama ep, for sure.
there was also the somewhat obscure tv show Cleopatra 2525 from about 10 years back that made an homage to that song as well
[expando]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RJVNRS0KL._SS500_.jpg[/expando]

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »

Pacific Electric & Gas ( Are You Ready), Bulldog (No), Mouth & McNeil (How Do You Do), Daniel Boone (Beautiful Sunday) Focus (Hocus Pocus), Ace (How Long), Zager & Evans (In the Year 2525).
Read what you just wrote. It sounds like a script to a movie. Too funny :evil5:

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »
You are correct, but maybe it should have been forgotten.

Here are a few more goodies:  Pacific Electric & Gas ( Are You Ready), Bulldog (No), Mouth & McNeil (How Do You Do), Daniel Boone (Beautiful Sunday) Focus (Hocus Pocus), Ace (How Long), Zager & Evans (In the Year 2525).

Isn't is Hocus Pocus by Focus? I actually do that song at my shows - I need the correct info. ;) Otherwise I've been telling everyone the wrong thing. I put on a viking horn hat and do the high yodelling part and sometimes I put on a video show where I play videos to the music that I'm playing - it's pretty cool and different.

How bout, My Chevy Van - Artist? - In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
Any Stephen Merit fans here? The Magnetic Fields are an interesting band. 100,000 Fireflies was a popular college indie single during the early nineties.
From the album Distant Plastic Trees, released in ’91, vocals by Susan Anway.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrvTT24RPc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrvTT24RPc</a>

Some people think this is one of the worse songs ever written. (Music like this cheers me up, like a good Robert Smith ballad)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »

How bout, My Chevy Van - Artist? -
Sammy Johns.

How about Oooga Oooga Oooga Chaka

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
Hooked on a Feeling, by BJ Thomas, right? I think another group did it also.

Now HERE is a great oldie!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4m5u016Mo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4m5u016Mo</a>

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
Hooked on a Feeling, by BJ Thomas, right? I think another group did it also.

Blue Swede

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
Sammy Johns.

Oh yeah, Sammy Johns. Oooga Chaka - I think that one is called, Hooked on a Feeling. Couldn't tell you the artist.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »
Anyone remember "Who's Behind the Door" by Zebra?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
Oh yeah, Sammy Johns. Oooga Chaka - I think that one is called, Hooked on a Feeling. Couldn't tell you the artist.
Look at previous post ;D

Offline MountainGoo

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »
Read what you just wrote. It sounds like a script to a movie. Too funny :evil5:

Your right....believe me it was just coincidental....but funny just the same....lol
Run To The Hills...Run For Your Life

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure the zircon-encrusted tweezers comes from Frank Zappa. Gurgle can correct me if he's actually reading this stuff.

Yeah, it's sort of a running theme on his album, "Overnite Sensation."

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »
Yeah, it's sort of a running theme on his album, "Overnite Sensation."

Don't forget the pygmy ponies!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
Don't forget the pygmy ponies!

over by the dental floss bush.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
Anyone remember "Who's Behind the Door" by Zebra?

Great Song!!  I also remember the song "Tell Me What You Want" by Zebra.  In fact, I have a torrent video of Zebra in concert from 1983.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »
Heard Beastie Boy's, Fight for Your Right today. That song always makes me laugh.  ;D

Offline Playskull

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
Sticking with the "Halloween" theme on this board lately, here is a forgotten song from the 80's horror flick, Fright Night. 

It's titled "Give It Up" by Evelyn "Champagne" King.  The main vampire guy and the chick who went on the play Marcy on Married With Children were dancing together in a nightclub to this song. It doesn't get any more 1980's sounding than this!
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkDUQmGW9Yc

anything