Author Topic: Forgotten Song  (Read 215633 times)

Offline DrSushi

Forgotten Song
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »
Here's a place to post songs that others may have forgotten. The song that got me thinking about this topic is Donnie Iris' "Injured in the Game of Love". Below you can find a link to a website that mentions this song (don't be scared by the name of the site). You don't need to click on the site, as the text has been copied and pasted below. The writer compares him to Bruce Springsteen - I kinda thought he was more of a poor man's Huey Lewis. Under the article, there is a link to the full song for anyone who's interested. Feel free to post your own "forgotten song". Maybe we can jog each other's memories about some forgotten great or near-decent music. And maybe you'll find that you forgot these songs for a reason.

http://www.hesawhore.com/2010/02/song-of-day-donnie-iris-injured-in-game.html

For some, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street band were a band that spoke to the blue collar, working class set with tales of life in some romanticized, yet down-on-its-luck, one-horse town.

While I respect Springsteen for presenting that message in such a way as to connect so fervently with a mid-to-upper-class demographic, he never did much for me.

My Bruce Springsteen has always been Ohio's Donnie Iris, and, by the same token, my E Street Band has always been The Cruisers, Iris's longtime backing band. While they may not have such colorful characters as Clarence Clemons or Little Steven, they are as solid a band as any singer could ever hope to have behind him.

After a four-album run with MCA that netted two sizable radio hits in "Ah Leah" and "Love Is Like A Rock", Donnie Iris soon found himself on his own. Rather than wait for another label to pick him up, he and the Cruisers simply recorded and released No Muss, No Fuss on their own label in 1985 and still managed to do pretty well. The album actually achieved a peak chart position of #115 - not bad for an indie release in those days.

The album's sole single, For some, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street band were a band that spoke to the blue collar, working class set with tales of life in some romanticized, yet down-on-its-luck, one-horse town.

While I respect Springsteen for presenting that message in such a way as to connect so fervently with a mid-to-upper-class demographic, he never did much for me.

My Bruce Springsteen has always been Ohio's Donnie Iris, and, by the same token, my E Street Band has always been The Cruisers, Iris's longtime backing band. While they may not have such colorful characters as Clarence Clemons or Little Steven, they are as solid a band as any singer could ever hope to have behind him.

After a four-album run with MCA that netted two sizable radio hits in "Ah Leah" and "Love Is Like A Rock", Donnie Iris soon found himself on his own. Rather than wait for another label to pick him up, he and the Cruisers simply recorded and released No Muss, No Fuss on their own label in 1985 and still managed to do pretty well. The album actually achieved a peak chart position of #115 - not bad for an indie release in those days.

The album's sole single, "Injured In The Game of Love" also cracked the Top 100 and ranks as one of Iris's most infectious tracks.

http://hesawhore.com/Donnie_Iris-Injured_In_The_Game_of_Love.mp3

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Forgotten Song
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
Another big Iris song was "do you compute". He also released an album a couple years ago. It wasn't that great but had a really good song. I can't remember what it was called, something about a dress.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
Another artist was Glen Burtnik. He had 2 great songs in the 80s - " little red house" and " follow you". These are really tough CDs to find. He later went on to fill in with Styx and had a couple great songs with them.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:58:42 AM »
"Ah Leah" is one of my favorite Donnie Iris songs.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:03:41 AM »
Me too. I was just about to say that!  :D
My sister's name is Lea. As kids, we often sang it outloud to each other.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:22:20 AM »
Another big Iris song was "do you compute". He also released an album a couple years ago. It wasn't that great but had a really good song. I can't remember what it was called, something about a dress.
I happened on his website while trying to figure out which song of his I was looking for, and I was surprised to see he is still making albums. Both of those songs you mentioned are available on Rhapsody. I'm listening to "Do You Compute" as I type this as I don't remember that song (so I may have forgotten it!). It sounds so '80s! It seems like it should have been in the soundtrack of some 80s movie like "Electric Dreams" where the guy falls in love with the computer.

I also checked out "Little Black Dress" from the Ellwood City album which Rhapsody lists as being released in 2006. I like that one!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
Another artist was Glen Burtnik. He had 2 great songs in the 80s - " little red house" and " follow you". These are really tough CDs to find. He later went on to fill in with Styx and had a couple great songs with them.
The only Glen Burtnik songs I could find on Rhapsody looked like novelty songs - a couple Holiday cover songs and something called "Racing Time".

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 06:35:06 AM »
I remember the local rock station playing that song along with "Love is Like a Rock" and "Injured in the Game of Love" on a "Three-for-all" weekend. It must have been when "Injured" had just been released, as I bet it was a bit of a stretch to find three Donnie Iris songs to play. Donnie seemed at best a "Two for Tuesday" artist, even back then.  :]

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
"Do You Compute?" is from Donnie's Fortune 410 album (from 1983).  I have that one on my iPod (it was on the Greatest Hits album I go of his a few years back).  Ironically, I don't have "Injured In the Name of Love".  Must not have been good enough for the twelve songs on the CD.  LOL.

Oh, and Donnie was part of the band Jaggerz when they hit with "the Rapper" back in the early 70's.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Playskull

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »
Here's a place to post songs that others may have forgotten. The song that got me thinking about this topic is Donnie Iris' "Injured in the Game of Love".

Cool topic.  I have 2 Donnie Iris albums -- the one with Love Is Like A Rock and the one with Ah! Leah!  I don't think I've ever heard the song you posted though. 

OK, I've got a pretty good one from the early 80's.  It's "Sausolito Summernight" by Diesel.  This song was impossible to find on CD up until a few years ago.  Since then, its a song you'll hear every now and then on a retro show if you have a DJ who knows his stuff.  You can listen to it at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93aaCza_dY&feature=related

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
Cool topic.  I have 2 Donnie Iris albums -- the one with Love Is Like A Rock and the one with Ah! Leah!  I don't think I've ever heard the song you posted though. 

OK, I've got a pretty good one from the early 80's.  It's "Sausolito Summernight" by Diesel.  This song was impossible to find on CD up until a few years ago.  Since then, its a song you'll hear every now and then on a retro show if you have a DJ who knows his stuff.  You can listen to it at the link below.

Man, I love Donnie Iris. Oddly, I heard Ah! Leah! on the radio yesterday for the first time in about 25 years. I have the albums and listen to them, but radio has forsaken Mr. Iris. Good to hear others remember him too.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »

Oh, and Donnie was part of the band Jaggerz when they hit with "the Rapper" back in the early 70's.
[/quote]

Oh wow! I never knew that. Thanks for sharing.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »

I don't remember that song, but I feel like I should. It reminds me a bit of Blue Oyster Cult - the singer kind of sounds like Buck Dharma. Maybe more like a Buck Dharma solo song, like "5:35". Here's a link in case you want to hear that one to see if you agree - it may only play 30 seconds, but you'll get the idea (the first time I clicked on it, it played the whole song): http://www.google.com/url?q=http://s0.ilike.com/play%23Buck%2BDharma:Five%2BThirty-Five:7046704:s33484255.9421942.14908834.0.2.14%252Cstd_8dc6738123924d21831ca734ee02de11&sa=X&ei=Uj1STP2ZCMuknQed5ry-Aw&ved=0CCIQ0wQoAjAA&usg=AFQjCNHLmEUotvD7u9Og2wTmKhO7FW1KPg

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 03:15:06 AM »

I LOVE that song!  I had the 45 - played it all the time.  Got it recently on MP3.  It is a 5-star song for me, one that I crank every time it comes on Sirrus/XM 80's channel.  That song is summer for me.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 06:20:20 AM »
Anyone remember "Who's Behind the Door" by Zebra?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:35 AM »
The only Glen Burtnik songs I could find on Rhapsody looked like novelty songs - a couple Holiday cover songs and something called "Racing Time".

They are very obscure. I was able to track down on of the CDs and found a download of the other. Go to YouTube and check them out!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
Anyone remember "Who's Behind the Door" by Zebra?

Yup, they sounded like a Led Zepplin wannabe.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Playskull

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
OK, here’s another one.  In 1984, Eagles bassist Timothy B. Schmit did a solo album titled “Playin’ It Cool.”  Let’s just say he was no Don Henley, Glenn Frey or Joe Walsh.  But the title track from this album was in pretty heavy rotation on MTV for a couple weeks back in ’84.  Anybody remember this song?  Link below ... Cheese city!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rngzNR4Z0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:27:43 PM by Playskull »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Here's a place to post songs that others may have forgotten.
I’ve been pondering this interesting topic for a while. I’ve recently been “re-discovering” bands and music generas I haven’t listened to in decades.
I’ve been on a huge ska binge during the last month. I bought 20 compilation ska CD’s from Amazon the other night – yup, I’m skankin’!

I enjoy surf guitar. Although some movies have featured some classic surf music (Pulp Fiction, of course), I think surf music as a whole is a bit of a lost genera. There are modern bands playing surf music (Laika and the Cosmonauts, The Halibuts, Los Straightjackets, Kung Fu Monkeys), but you have to seek them out. I’ve been listening to some old surf recently (The Surfaris and The Sentinals are a couple). I saw Dick Dale play a small dance club about 15 years ago, and the show was blistering. I think this version of Pipeline with Stevie Ray Vaughan is incredible. This clip has high quality audio. The video is fun too. DD’s big curly hair makes him look like the lead singer from Air Supply or REO Speedwagon! And SRV is beyond awesome – I love that guy and sure miss him.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52FpuqD3W5M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52FpuqD3W5M</a>

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »
I enjoy surf guitar. Although some movies have featured some classic surf music (Pulp Fiction, of course), I think surf music as a whole is a bit of a lost genera. There are modern bands playing surf music (Laika and the Cosmonauts, The Halibuts, Los Straightjackets, Kung Fu Monkeys), but you have to seek them out.

I went to a club and saw Los Straitjackets without seeking them out, as they were the back up band that night. They were a lot of fun!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
and I was going thru YouTube burning the Gilligan's Island classic, "You Need Us" and some other Flintstones classics (Soft Soap...gentle for babies and brontosaurus too, it prevents embarrassment).  A friend of mine where I get my iced coffee in the morning we were talking about these old cartoons, and we though of at least a dozen classic songs from the shows.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
I’ve been pondering this interesting topic for a while. I’ve recently been “re-discovering” bands and music generas I haven’t listened to in decades.
I’ve been on a huge ska binge during the last month. I bought 20 compilation ska CD’s from Amazon the other night – yup, I’m skankin’!

I enjoy surf guitar. Although some movies have featured some classic surf music (Pulp Fiction, of course), I think surf music as a whole is a bit of a lost genera. There are modern bands playing surf music (Laika and the Cosmonauts, The Halibuts, Los Straightjackets, Kung Fu Monkeys), but you have to seek them out. I’ve been listening to some old surf recently (The Surfaris and The Sentinals are a couple). I saw Dick Dale play a small dance club about 15 years ago, and the show was blistering. I think this version of Pipeline with Stevie Ray Vaughan is incredible. This clip has high quality audio. The video is fun too. DD’s big curly hair makes him look like the lead singer from Air Supply or REO Speedwagon! And SRV is beyond awesome – I love that guy and sure miss him.

Thanks for posting, that was fun. I also checked out Los Straightjackets again and listened to them as I cleaned up my room. It made the chore much more enjoyable, thanks!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
Maybe we can jog each other's memories about some forgotten great or near-decent music. And maybe you'll find that you forgot these songs for a reason.
I got a kick out of these 2 lines from your original post - not that you intended them to be funny. Trying to communicate with only text is often challenging.
I also checked out Los Straightjackets again and listened to them as I cleaned up my room. It made the chore much more enjoyable, thanks!
I use my wife’s 5 disc RCA CD changer (from the 80’s) in our pool room for (very) occasional parties at our home. I’ve struggled to find a set of CD’s that “works” for a party of all ages and types of people. I’ve messed around with a bunch of different ideas and have settled on a mix of smooth jazz, instrumental surf guitar, and Santana. I’ve had the same 5 CD’s in my changer all summer on shuffle, and I’ve found that to be an awesome mix. I turn up the volume when Sterling and I are outside playing Frisbee, swimming, and playing in our fort. I hope our neighbors enjoy our "mix", because we turn it UP.
The writer said,
BS is an enigma for me. Unless I’m hammered (when I am, I can be convinced that MC Hammer is a genius), I don’t care for BS music. Half of the time BS annoys me, and half of the time I’m hiding the fact that I’m tapping my feet. For some (lame?) reason, I give BS kudos for his working class blue collar effort, even though I tend to think his music sucks 90% of the time.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
I got a kick out of these 2 lines from your original post - not that you intended them to be funny. Trying to communicate with only text is often challenging.

I do often have trouble communicating with text alone. However, I was, indeed, trying to be funny. I usually am (trying, that is). But sometimes that doesn't come through very well - even in person!

I was never a big BS fan. But I don't dislike him, either. I think my favorite song from him is one he wrote, I think, for Dave Edmunds, "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)".

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 06:49:22 AM »
Here is a great forgotten song!
A great song to listen to while sorting titles, like back in '72

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EegRh8Z4H-o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EegRh8Z4H-o</a>

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 06:53:14 AM »
The Fifth Dimension had some incredible soul-pop harmonies going in their music.  I have a greatest hits CD of theirs - those songs come up occasionally in my iPod's shuffling when I'm in the early 70's period.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EegRh8Z4H-o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EegRh8Z4H-o</a>

I've been listening to the Hair soundtrack version for so long that I totally forgot about this version.   
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 02:26:40 AM »

This version has been on my regular play list for years. I never get tired of it. Love to movie too.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 08:08:54 AM »
Popcorn may qualify as forgotten.

We used to do some type of group dance in the gymnasium in 7th grade to this tune. I also remember in the 7th grade I was sneaking cases of Pop Rocks and Bubble Yum to school and stashing them in my locker for lunchtime distribution in an attempt to win new friends. The other thing I remember about that time (Junior High School), were those red tablets they handed out to chew that revealed where we didn't brush our teeth. Oh, and those were the days of school sponsored fluoride rinses.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL34X-xaHUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL34X-xaHUI</a>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:25:09 AM by Jean Nutty »

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »
As much as I like the 5th Dimension version, I love the way that woman sings "Aquarious" in the movie version of "Hair"  what a voice!!!!  Also, "Let The Sunshine" at the end of the movie and in context with the storyline sends chills down my spine.  I have watched that many time.  I also think its cool when they are driving down the road and Beverly D'Angelo sings "Good Morning Starshine"  The harmonies are really cool.  One more thing, The gal singing "Easy TO Be Hard"  way outshined Three Dog Nights version in my opinion, and I love that group.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
Popcorn may qualify as forgotten.

We used to do some type of group dance in the gymnasium in 7th grade to this tune. I also remember in the 7th grade I was sneaking cases of Pop Rocks and Bubble Yum to school and stashing them in my locker for lunchtime distribution in an attempt to win new friends. The other thing I remember about that time (Junior High School), were those red tablets they handed out to chew that revealed where we didn't brush our teeth. Oh, and those were the days of school sponsored fluoride rinses.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL34X-xaHUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL34X-xaHUI</a>

I love that song!  It also reminds me of a couple of other early 70's tunes like:

SWAT theme song
A Fifth of Beethoven
Indian Reservation (by the Raiders)
Me and You and a Dog Named Boo
Our House

Wow - how geeky is that?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
As much as I like the 5th Dimension version, I love the way that woman sings "Aquarious" in the movie version of "Hair"  what a voice!!!!  Also, "Let The Sunshine" at the end of the movie and in context with the storyline sends chills down my spine.  I have watched that many time.  I also think its cool when they are driving down the road and Beverly D'Angelo sings "Good Morning Starshine"  The harmonies are really cool.  One more thing, The gal singing "Easy TO Be Hard"  way outshined Three Dog Nights version in my opinion, and I love that group.
Wait, I'm stunned. That's not the chick from the fifth dimension singing in the opening of the movie? Or is it her but singing it differently from the album version?

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Wait, I'm stunned. That's not the chick from the fifth dimension singing in the opening of the movie? Or is it her but singing it differently from the album version?
The woman in the movie was Renn Woods.  She was not in the 5th Dimension.  The women in  5th Dimension were Marilyn McCoo and Florence LaRue.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:16:03 PM by HeadAndBoulders »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
I hadn’t heard the Hair version (the original version, right?) before now, or don't remember it. As a kid I only heard the 5th Dimension version, that was played frequently on the car AM radio as my Mom drove me to preschool in our beige VW Bug (my preschool teacher, Mrs Featherstone, made us sing Frères Jacques in French). What a crazy pre-MTV video of sorts, this clip from the movie. And an entirely different song – very funky. Watching this reminded me of watching the movie Godspell during summer church camp (Day by Day, 3 things I pray...)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oq_IskRIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oq_IskRIg</a>

Offline MountainGoo

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Ok, here are some for ya:  It's A Beautiful Day (White Bird), Bloodrock (D.O.A), Jigsaw (SkyHigh), Wall Of Voodoo (Mexican Radio), Right Said Fred (I'm To Sexy).
Run To The Hills...Run For Your Life