Author Topic: Old School 6  (Read 90172 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Old School 6
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
I know the price of this release makes it hard for all of us to decide how to proceed. I wonder what the dealers are thinking? Do they drop thousands on this release thinking it will appreciate since it will only be available for one week? I hope the dealers stock up as that will help the sales.

I actually think this is a decent set for dealers. If you look at all the online releases so far while the sticker shock of the total price is $150 it contains the most stuff and is actually per card the cheapest especially when there are 3 sketch cards with each order. Since the dealer would also be getting 30 other alternate cards on top of the set they have 30 cards to sell along with three sketches and a full base set. And the base set will still only be a small amount of sets depending on how many sell. So I think long term it's a great set for dealers.

For collectors the $150 is a tough price but again, if you hate sketch cards I'd sell those off and also the parallels if that is not something you'd want to collect and you can probably get the price down well under $100.

A side note: I just did all the art so none of these decisions are mine but I did throughout this past week go back and forth with them to get it to the point where this is the very best possible option. If you saw what this looked like last week...oh boy. Even up to yesterday it was going to be random stickers so I convinced them the complete set option was the better way to go. Let's see what happens!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
Yes, I bought a complete OS6 set simply because I am a WP collector and fan.  The price, however, is outrageous! 

No, this is absolutely nothing like trading cards when I was a kid.  Back then, prices were reasonable, and one didn't have to spend the equivalent of a major utility bill.

Just imagine what "Topps Goes to the Movies" - a 90 card set, mind - is going to cost - with all of the extra "bonus" ludlows, sketches, etc..  Start saving up your pennies, boys and girls!

I bought a complete set for the same reason. And I agree with you, the price is outrageous, especially when you consider there is no box, no packs to crack open, cards vs stickers. The only reason I think anyone would buy the $50 option is if they want to trade with others to complete the set. Not being able to open packs and build sets does take away from the usual fun of a new series.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »

I bought a complete set for the same reason. And I agree with you, the price is outrageous, especially when you consider there is no box, no packs to crack open, cards vs stickers. The only reason I think anyone would buy the $50 option is if they want to trade with others to complete the set. Not being able to open packs and build sets does take away from the usual fun of a new series.

I definitely miss the box and the checklist. Not the packs in general. I have all five boxes lining my wall. Wanted that 6th one. I wonder if I can make my own box and checklists? Chip?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
I definitely miss the box and the checklist. Not the packs in general. I have all five boxes lining my wall. Wanted that 6th one. I wonder if I can make my own box and checklists? Chip?

Can we have a lost puzzle?

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »

Yes, Chip is the box master.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #285 on: November 15, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks for keeping up the good fight, Dave, and for sharing this.  The perspective of where it was almost heading mitigates a good deal of the disappointment in the things we are not getting (box, packs, etc), at least for me personally. 

It's a brave new world with changing retail, Kickstarter, on-demand sets and so on, so I'm happy that there is an interest in pursuing creative ways to keep this all continuing.   It must be a bit like the Wild West right now on the creative/production/business/everything side of things at Topps - I've experienced that kind of publishing environment but even so, I can only imagine what it's like up there right now.  Hope that good things come out of it.  Glad to hear that they're receptive to your input, as that clearly benefits the product. 

A side note: I just did all the art so none of these decisions are mine but I did throughout this past week go back and forth with them to get it to the point where this is the very best possible option. If you saw what this looked like last week...oh boy. Even up to yesterday it was going to be random stickers so I convinced them the complete set option was the better way to go. Let's see what happens!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #286 on: November 15, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
I just tried three times to place an order and was told I couldn't but not given a reason.  Anyone else having this issue?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #287 on: November 15, 2017, 05:44:03 PM »
I just tried three times to place an order and was told I couldn't but not given a reason.  Anyone else having this issue?

Most likely just a glitch.  Happily, however, you will probably wake up tomorrow morning to discover that all three orders were, indeed, placed, you are now the proud owner of three complete sets, and your bank account has been adjusted accordingly!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #288 on: November 15, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
Can we have a lost puzzle?
Matt has tons... I mean, limited quantities.... for sale on ePay! :P
Brian Mc

Offline Soremel

« Reply #289 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »
Ideally, everyone just buys 3 and then starts swapping to make their base sets.
Or 6 if you’re going for the chase cards.
In a perfect world, of course.

My guess is that the base cards are not truly random, but that there are 3 different sets of 10.

If I'm reading all of these posts correctly, it seems that if we buy a $150. set, we will not have a "complete" set (back variations, etc.) and will either have to trade to get complete sets, or buy 3+ sets to MAYBE assure us a better chance of getting a complete (or near-complete) set? Please let me know if I'm reading all of this incorrectly.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #290 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
Matt has tons... I mean, limited quantities.... for sale on ePay! :P

You need to add "rare" and "lost" to "limited quantities."

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #291 on: November 15, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
or buy 3+ sets to MAYBE assure us a better chance of getting a complete (or near-complete) set?

There are 3 diff backs, that's 90 cards, at 15 per "complete" set, that's 6+ sets to MAYBE get it all.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #292 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
If I'm reading all of these posts correctly, it seems that if we buy a $150. set, we will not have a "complete" set (back variations, etc.) and will either have to trade to get complete sets, or buy 3+ sets to MAYBE assure us a better chance of getting a complete (or near-complete) set? Please let me know if I'm reading all of this incorrectly.

I believe you are correct, Soremel.  The "complete" set covers just the 30 base cards.

From Topps's site ($150 set):

Product Specs:

63 Cards Per Pack
        1 Complete Set of 30 Base Stickers
        15 Base Parallels
        15 Pencil Roughs
        3 Sketch Card
    Parallels
        Base:
            Tan, Ludlow Black & Ludlow Red

As to how many of these sets you would have to purchase to make a truly complete set?  I believe nobody knows for certain.  I would speculate that chances of getting Ludlows are less than the chances of getting tans.  But this is just speculation.

With this price tag, I am going to go with the "silver lining" option:  Keep the base set and possibly the pencil roughs (have to see what they look like, first) and either sell or trade the remainder.  I suspect that other buyers might do the same.

- - - - -

Addendum: If the 15 Base Parallels are randomly inserted, chances are you could buy 100 sets and still not get them all.  So, there's just one question you have to ask yourself: "Do you feel lucky?"  Well, do you, punk?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:41:31 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »

There are 3 diff backs, that's 90 cards, at 15 per "complete" set, that's 6+ sets to MAYBE get it all.

And don't forget the "pencil roughs."  That's another 30 cards.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
And don't forget the "pencil roughs."  That's another 30 cards.

If you cant get those in 6+ sets, quit!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »

That's how I interpreted it. I've assembled complete, and near-complete, vintage '73-'75 OPC and UK sets for FAR less than what it would cost to put together a single complete Old School 6. My money's going toward the original stuff from the wax pack era. I'm officially out of this one... (sound of mic dropping)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
For me, I only care about getting a complete set of the 30 stickers. All the other cards are not what I collect (this is true of Luds and other backs for the OS as well. Some people love the chase of the parallels and some don't. I have only really cared about getting one example of the parody (unless it's on a cool oddball item). I'll be either selling or trading my non-white back set stuff so having to buy lots of extra sets is irrelevant to me. The good part is that all of us that don't want that stuff can feed all of you that do without you having to buy lots of extra sets beyond what you are comfortable with. I will also be selling my sketch cards. For a different reasons. I can make my own sketch cards :)

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
For me, I only care about getting a complete set of the 30 stickers.

But these are not stickers correct?  They're cards if I understand correctly.

Really stung by the price and the lack of box, binder, and packs.  A bit absurd really.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
But these are not stickers correct?  They're cards if I understand correctly.

Really stung by the price and the lack of box, binder, and packs.  A bit absurd really.

Are they? I thought they were stickers. I honestly don't know. Regardless, stickers or cards I only want a set of the 30.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »
Let's talk to Chip about "chipping" in and making our own fan-made box and checklists! Chip, is that possible and more importantly, feasible?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
Are they? I thought they were stickers. I honestly don't know. Regardless, stickers or cards I only want a set of the 30.
Says stickers on the topps site. who said they're cards?

* 1 Complete Set of 30 Base Stickers

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »
Let's talk to Chip about "chipping" in and making our own fan-made box and checklists! Chip, is that possible and more importantly, feasible?

Yes please!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
Says stickers on the topps site. who said they're cards?

* 1 Complete Set of 30 Base Stickers

My bad then.  So much shock and awe with the pricing my head was spinning :p

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »
who said they're cards?
Possibly due to inferring "not kiss cut" meant "not stickers"?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2017, 08:28:32 PM »
Possibly due to inferring "not kiss cut" meant "not stickers"?

I think the whole sticker peels off. What did the 50th set have?

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »
OK, got some info but not all. It goes up tomorrow probably within the 12-3 time frame. Will be available for 7 days. I was not given the price. Apparently, they are trying to encourage multiple purchases and having the community do trading to complete sets.

I'm 50 years old I don't care to have to trade to complete a set.  Multiple purchases at these prices...good God...not for me.

I was told if it sells well there would be more Old School series, the revival of the postcard series, and possibly, an online series of good old fashioned Wacky Packages (new products, no themes).  If not, that's the end

I bet there would be.  If they discover they can sell at this price point why not.  If not, then it's the end.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:47:21 AM by Slaytex99 »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
I'm 50 years old I don't want to be assed to trade to complete a set.  Multiple purchases at these prices...good God...good luck smh.

I bet there would be.  If they discover they can rape us like this why not.  Milk us dry.  If not, threaten to stop forever.  Yeah, that's not strong arming at all.

That's a little dramatic. No one is raping you. You have a choice, Buy or not buy. It is what it is. And there is no threat. Don't make money = no other product. There is still retail of course until or unless they don't make enough money to justify it. I'm with you 100% in that I would prefer it was just like OLDS 1-5 but that business model didn't make enough money the last two series for them to justify doing it the same way. In seven days we will know if this version of the series is viable. On a personal side Old School is my baby and my favorite series of any that I work on so my fingers are crossed. If it makes it to a next series I'll work on getting more of the old stuff back in and push for some of the plans I already sent them that were not used this time. Again, out of my control. I was fully in charge with Mike Jaspersen for OLDS 1 and 2 and had some good input on 3 but was pretty much shut out on 4 and 5 with the exception of the baseball card idea.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
I concur completely with this. I also bought a complete set (not sure why anyone would bother with the $50 option), as that is what I wanted and Dave's art takes the sting out of the price, at least somewhat. Not terribly fun, though, just buying a set and done. Oh, well...

I bought one complete set (ouch!) mainly due to Dave's art and old school style. I'm hoping for minimal bodily fluid depictions and zero politics (the reasons I skipped the last few retail sets). Thanks Dave and Topps! Next lets see another Post Card set and the 3rd Wacky book!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2017, 02:43:30 AM »
That's a little dramatic. No one is raping you. You have a choice, Buy or not buy. It is what it is. And there is no threat. Don't make money = no other product. There is still retail of course until or unless they don't make enough money to justify it. I'm with you 100% in that I would prefer it was just like OLDS 1-5 but that business model didn't make enough money the last two series for them to justify doing it the same way. In seven days we will know if this version of the series is viable. On a personal side Old School is my baby and my favorite series of any that I work on so my fingers are crossed. If it makes it to a next series I'll work on getting more of the old stuff back in and push for some of the plans I already sent them that were not used this time. Again, out of my control. I was fully in charge with Mike Jaspersen for OLDS 1 and 2 and had some good input on 3 but was pretty much shut out on 4 and 5 with the exception of the baseball card idea.

Yes, it was a bit dramatic and my wording could've been chosen better.  I was totally shocked by the price and my emotions got a little heated lol.

Still can't see why a puzzle wasn't included....it is Old School after all.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »

Can we get some Binder Artwork in PDF form too please?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2017, 03:03:43 AM »
I believe you are correct, Soremel.  The "complete" set covers just the 30 base cards.

From Topps's site ($150 set):

Product Specs:

63 Cards Per Pack
        1 Complete Set of 30 Base Stickers
        15 Base Parallels
        15 Pencil Roughs
        3 Sketch Card
    Parallels
        Base:
            Tan, Ludlow Black & Ludlow Red

So the total number of stickers in this set is 150.   Base White Back, Pencil Roughs, Parallel: Tan Back, Ludlow Back Red, Ludlow Back Black.

They should have put up a Complete Master Set Option also.  I doubt there will be too many of these assembled. I got two sets so will end up with 30 of the 90 Parallel cards. That means I would need to purchase or trade for 60 parallel cards to get a Complete Master set. I plan on selling/ trading 5 of the six sketches I receive but they do not go for much as of late so not too much money can be raised via selling sketches.  Another option is to compile :Mixed" parallel set comprised of all three types of cards. I will probably go that route and see how many of the 30 different titles I get in my 30 parallels.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2017, 05:59:45 AM »
I'm all in for supporting Dave. If this was the 'Wackys Go To The Movies' for $150, fuggetaboutit.  But I looked up what I paid for Old School 5, and I bought 3 boxes for... $150! Plus some ridiculous shipping fee which I didn't have to pay this time. Now, granted, the extras in the previous Old School series went a long way but, still, the price is in the same ballpark.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2017, 06:21:23 AM »
I'm all in for supporting Dave. If this was the 'Wackys Go To The Movies' for $150, fuggetaboutit.  But I looked up what I paid for Old School 5, and I bought 3 boxes for... $150! Plus some ridiculous shipping fee which I didn't have to pay this time. Now, granted, the extras in the previous Old School series went a long way but, still, the price is in the same ballpark.

Hey, thanks! But always buy for yourself! I won't be offended if any person on here doesn't buy it. I completely get it about some of the comments. Again, that's on Topps not me.

And to everyone I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the movie set. It's way better than the MLB and 50th.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
It's way better than the MLB and 50th.
He says without saying much.   :P

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #314 on: November 16, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
He says without saying much.   :P

Well, I'd believe that they would be "real products."

OH NO! WE CAN'T DO IT!

CELEBRITY CARDS ARE DESTINY!