Author Topic: Old School 6  (Read 89094 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Old School 6
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
He doesn't own us anything.
prefer spoiler free, myself.

I completely stopped viewing all movie trailers 3 years ago, and enjoy watching new movies now more than I have in years.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:41:15 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
I didn't hear anything today. Still coming out this week from what I understand. If you knew what I know you will be happy it was delayed to make changes!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
Chad - They are AWESOME!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »
Just so long as the changes aren't costlier.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:26 AM »
I didn't hear anything today. Still coming out this week from what I understand. If you knew what I know you will be happy it was delayed to make changes!

Sounds like this board is about to get happy.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Neil,

Can you have them put them on sale at midnight for old time's sake?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »

WHOAAAAA!! they're gonna make it FREE!!! Now your talking!!! :o :o :o :o :o - hope they don't............(you know)...... :] :] :] :] :]

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
I was just told they would MOST LIKELY (ha, so maybe) give me the info by the end of the day. Will put the date of release in this thread along with the price but make a new thread with spoilers so people can pick how much they want to know.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
I was just told they would MOST LIKELY (ha, so maybe) give me the info by the end of the day. Will put the date of release in this thread along with the price but make a new thread with spoilers so people can pick how much they want to know.

thx Dave....we will be waiting...... >( >( >( >(

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »
Please be kiss-cut!   :'( :'(

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
Please be kiss-cut!   :'( :'(

No way that could happen. The only things that can be kiss cut would be retail. Online would throw the costs through the roof and through a second roof.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
I know part of the focus is to get people to start trading cards so there is an element of random cards in the works. Also, I was told that if this sells well enough they will do more and they will bring back the Postcard series (so Neil should start thinking about that).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
OK, got some info but not all. It goes up tomorrow probably within the 12-3 time frame. Will be available for 7 days. I was not given the price. Apparently, they are trying to encourage multiple purchases and having the community do trading to complete sets. I was told if it sells well there would be more Old School series, the revival of the postcard series, and possibly, an online series of good old fashioned Wacky Packages (new products, no themes). If not, that's the end and it will be the occasional WP in the online GPK sets (next week  will see some in the Thanksgiving set) and the retail releases.

Each clear box will contain: 

10 Random base stickers (white backs)

5 parallels backs (Tan and Ludlow)

5 pencil sketches

1 sketch card 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
OK, got some info but not all. It goes up tomorrow probably within the 12-3 time frame. Will be available for 7 days. I was not given the price. Apparently, they are trying to encourage multiple purchases and having the community do trading to complete sets. I was told if it sells well there would be more Old School series, the revival of the postcard series, and possibly, an online series of good old fashioned Wacky Packages (new products, no themes). If not, that's the end and it will be the occasional WP in the online GPK sets (next week  will see some in the Thanksgiving set) and the retail releases.

5 pencil sketches

1 sketch card

This is not what I was hoping for............  and I absolutely hate the 7 day limit - we won't know what we've bought until it is too late to buy more.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:26:39 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
This is not what I was hoping for............  and I absolutely hate the 7 day limit - we won't know what we've bought until it is too late to buy more.

CANCELLED LOOKING AWFULLY GOOD NOW RIGHT!!!!! :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :]

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »
So basically we're buying blind - and probably buying far more than we would normally buy if we had the opportunity to purchase a simple, standard set.  There always has to be a catch.

• Administrator
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
So basically we're buying blind - and probably buying far more than we would normally buy if we had the opportunity to purchase a simple, standard set.  There always has to be a catch.
Ideally, everyone just buys 3 and then starts swapping to make their base sets.
Or 6 if you’re going for the chase cards.
In a perfect world, of course.

My guess is that the base cards are not truly random, but that there are 3 different sets of 10.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
And...It may not be random after all. I'm now not sure. Checking on that now. Sorry but this has been evolving based on my feedback to them daily this past week.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
Ideally, everyone just buys 3 and then starts swapping to make their base sets.
Or 6 if you’re going for the chase cards.
In a perfect world, of course.

My guess is that the base cards are not truly random, but that there are 3 different sets of 10.

That may be what they meant. I'm trying to get that figured out. I know they were hoping to get people trading since the focus is only on collectors and not kids and they know it's a tight-knit community.

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2017, 12:10:52 PM »
That may be what they meant.
I hope so!
If it’s more random than that, it’s going to be a ‘challenge’

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:22 PM »
Yikes... 10 "random base stickers" along with what amounts to ten chase cards.  Guess, they're ALL chase cards now.   :-\

I know I'm in the minority, but sketches and chase cards were never my thing.  I'd much rather pay whatever it is to get a box of 20 different base stickers.. or a little more for a 30 base sticker set.  Or enough extra stickers that I could feel justified sticking a few!  (Past Old School stickers can be found in any number of random spots in my office here.)

How did this become so much about sketches?  That's a rhetorical question - I know the answer and I could go on to decry the specific ways that we've arrived here.  I'm just disappointed that we have. 

That said, in spite of my disappointment I AM grateful that we're getting another set of Old School stickers, just wish I didn't have to buy into so much extra stuff to get a few awesome stickers.   #thisaintmygame

5 pencil sketches

1 sketch card
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »
Yikes... 10 "random base stickers" along with what amounts to ten chase cards.  Guess, they're ALL chase cards now.   :-\

I know I'm in the minority, but sketches and chase cards were never my thing.  I'd much rather pay whatever it is to get a box of 20 different base stickers.. or a little more for a 30 base sticker set.  Or enough extra stickers that I could feel justified sticking a few!  (Past Old School stickers can be found in any number of random spots in my office here.)

How did this become so much about sketches?  That's a rhetorical question - I know the answer and I could go on to decry the specific ways that we've arrived here.  I'm just disappointed that we have. 

That said, in spite of my disappointment I AM grateful that we're getting another set of Old School stickers, just wish I didn't have to buy into so much extra stuff to get a few awesome stickers.   #thisaintmygame

I agree completely. Without just plain stickers and a checklist I don't really believe an "Old school set" is actually old school.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »

This might now be what it is after all. Still looking into it

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
Dave, it all sounds great!  To me, it's a bit of nostalgia, having to build a set by
collecting packs, just as I did in the 70's!  As long it's not too difficult and too costly,
although it seems very reasonable!

People, trust what Dave is doing and the process, there's no way he will steer us wrong!

And give Topps the support and business it needs to feel like they can keep the Wacky train
going, because the potential of postcards, ANS titles, and other surprises sounds awesome!

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »
I agree completely. Without just plain stickers and a checklist I don't really believe an "Old school set" is actually old school.
Yeah, woulda been cool to get checklist puzzle pieces in each ‘pack’ too.
It is what it is.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
Dave, it all sounds great!  To me, it's a bit of nostalgia, having to build a set by
collecting packs, just as I did in the 70's!  As long it's not too difficult and too costly,
although it seems very reasonable!

People, trust what Dave is doing and the process, there's no way he will steer us wrong!

And give Topps the support and business it needs to feel like they can keep the Wacky train
going, because the potential of postcards, ANS titles, and other surprises sounds awesome!

I've been working overtime trying to get them to put this set together in the smartest and most economical way possible. I did the art. I have nothing to do with anything else but I can, have have, been making suggestion after suggestion. Hopefully it will bear fruit.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
I've been working overtime trying to get them to put this set together in the smartest and most economical way possible. I did the art. I have nothing to do with anything else but I can, have have, been making suggestion after suggestion. Hopefully it will bear fruit.

Am I correct that there won't even be packs?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
Yes, no online set can support a box, packs or the usual trapping of the retail sets. The last two Old School series were overproduced (against my wishes) and they didn't do the money they needed to do to support a sixth series. This is an attempt to bring Old School (and the postcards and other things) back to life but in a new format because only collectors are going to be interested in this stuff. The main thing for me is getting the full set of 30 stickers. Obviously I wish it was the same as series 5 with a box, packs and checklists but this is the new reality. The buyers will decide if it's going to go on or not. Out of my hands. I can say I think the 30 stickers are top notch and I put 100% into them.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
Hopefully they will certify that if you buy three boxes you WILL get all 30 base cards.......
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:37:03 PM by DrDeal »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
Yes, no online set can support a box, packs or the usual trapping of the retail sets. The last two Old School series were overproduced (against my wishes) and they didn't do the money they needed to do to support a sixth series. This is an attempt to bring Old School (and the postcards and other things) back to life but in a new format because only collectors are going to be interested in this stuff. The main thing for me is getting the full set of 30 stickers. Obviously I wish it was the same as series 5 with a box, packs and checklists but this is the new reality. The buyers will decide if it's going to go on or not. Out of my hands. I can say I think the 30 stickers are top notch and I put 100% into them.

I believe you put 100% into these cards, and I truly want Wackys to be continued.  However, I am very disappointed that Old School 6 will not be kiss cut, and that will impact my spending.  And, it just doesn't feel Old School when they're sold like the political cards.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
I believe you put 100% into these cards, and I truly want Wackys to be continued.  However, I am very disappointed that Old School 6 will not be kiss cut, and that will impact my spending.  And, it just doesn't feel Old School when they're sold like the political cards.

Understood! I would address your concerns to them in hopes we can add more back into them if there is a next time. The more voices they hear the better.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2017, 02:09:26 PM »
I too miss the kiss cut and the checklists/puzzles  etc...But I am very psyched to have a new OS set come out in ANY format. Just hoping it dosn't cost me too much to get a set.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
Ah.. I could wax philosophical at how obvious what they were doing was a mistake, when they upped their production #'s.  How clear it was that collectors were buying caseloads of Old School in order to chase sketches that were, due to two or three collectors, reaching insane prices.  And how that was not a real or sustainable demand.  Because, failing those secondary market prices, no one would have cared nearly as much.  The intrinsic entertainment value of the sketches would never have driven that.  So they upped production to meet an artificial, unsustainable demand.  And so of course that failed. 

They did it to themselves by customizing the product to serve a market that wasn't real.  But I suppose the trading card business has been "chasing" that market for a long time.   

At least you've worked to make sure that the actual entertainment value (the 30 card set) has integrity and quality as its foundational aspect.   

The last two Old School series were overproduced
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »

I agree too. That's what Old school started out with, but now has turned into a crossover series. I hope it's not the end. But if it is, I'd say marketing and the overkill of border variations and sketches killed it. Just way too much to chase and keep up with. Simple is better.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
I hope it's not the end.

I wouldn't quite say that it is the end, just yet.  There is still the promise of a WP movie-based series.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #244 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
I wouldn't quite say that it is the end, just yet.  There is still the promise of a WP movie-based series.

I think he meant the end of Old School. We will see. I have a general idea of what they need to sell for it to continue so fingers crossed.