Author Topic: Old School 6  (Read 89050 times)

Offline lucidjc

Re: Old School 6
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
How would 500 sets be more expensive than 10,000 sets? Rare? Yes. Expensive per capita? Yes. More overall expensive? Gee, I don't Know.

Are they trying to make as much from 500 sets as from 10,000?

Are they taking lessons from matt stock?

Jim

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
How would 500 sets be more expensive than 10,000 sets? Rare? Yes. Expensive per capita? Yes. More overall expensive? Gee, I don't Know.

Are they trying to make as much from 500 sets as from 10,000?

Jim

No, the original Old School sets had boxes, wrappers, die-cut cards, puzzles, different backs, sketch cards and lost of other different inserts. And a 5000 print run. All of that together costs a ton. Doing all that for a small print run like this would require the set to be hundredS of dollars. Cutting out most of that allows the set to go down in price. Selling the boxed OLDS for an unlimited time compared to selling these complete sets for 7 days is apples and oranges.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »
No, the original Old School sets had boxes, wrappers, die-cut cards, puzzles, different backs, sketch cards and lost of other different inserts. And a 5000 print run. All of that together costs a ton. Doing all that for a small print run like this would require the set to be hundredS of dollars. Cutting out most of that allows the set to go down in price. Selling the boxed OLDS for an unlimited time compared to selling these complete sets for 7 days is apples and oranges.

Just to clarify, these will be kiss cut stickers?  And the sets will only be available for a week, with quantity determined by the number of orders?  I am looking forward to this set, especially after seeing the one that got cut - that was nicely done!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »
Just to clarify, these will be kiss cut stickers?  And the sets will only be available for a week, with quantity determined by the number of orders?  I am looking forward to this set, especially after seeing the one that got cut - that was nicely done!

I don't think so I think they will be like the other online cards but I do believe they will have white backs and not some theme back like the other online cards.

Glad you liked it! Well, the good news is while I like that piece it's in the bottom level for me if I had to choose so that's a good thing I guess.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »
So (drum roll) here it is:

The color of the cheese is captured perfectly.  One could almost imagine spreading some on a Ratz.  Especially like the way the light is reflected on various portions of the jar.

Any chance of a card?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:22:39 PM by RawGoo »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
The color of the cheese is captured perfectly.  One could almost imagine spreading some on a Ratz.  Especially like the way the light is reflected on various portions of the jar.

Any chance of a card?

Thanks! Can't make a card of this because Topps bought the image. I do own Spaghettos so maybe on that one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:37:31 PM by slamjim »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »
I don't think so I think they will be like the other online cards but I do believe they will have white backs and not some theme back like the other online cards.

Glad you liked it! Well, the good news is while I like that piece it's in the bottom level for me if I had to choose so that's a good thing I guess.

Damn!  I am not a fan of the card stock used for the other online cards, and was really hoping for kiss cut stickers.  If they can't do that, white backs would be preferable (to me, anyway) over theme backs.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
Damn!  I am not a fan of the card stock used for the other online cards, and was really hoping for kiss cut stickers.  If they can't do that, white backs would be preferable (to me, anyway) over theme backs.

Just got told that these sets (the new GPK and OLDS) are from a different Topps line called On Demand so maybe they are better card stock. I'll ask about it tomorrow for you.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »
Slamjim, I'm definitely in if you decide to print cards of your pulled ideas!  That would be fantastic, like a "Lost Wacky Old School" subset.   ;)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2017, 02:07:09 AM »

That being said, there is an extra set within this series and possibly some other things going on with it (possibly mentioned by you). Much more than with the GPK set. I'm hoping to be able to talk about stuff a good week before the release unlike the GPK set which they only announced the day before.

This set is starting to be quite interesting. Looking forward to some reveals on specifics.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2017, 04:16:58 AM »

Interesting dilemma, to say the least.  Although both titles share the same product and name, both are also exceptional in their own right.  I'm sure this must happen from time to time, though, what with the vast number of parodies made over the years.

Despite the fact that I already own Neil's version - and Dave's version would make a nice addition to my collection, as well - a certain respect must prevail between the various artists and their respective creations.  I suppose this is unfortunate for collectors always eager to collect more, however crossing lines would inevitably lead to not only bad feelings, but also anarchy, a vast free-for-all in which anything - names, details, etc. - would be up for grabs and inevitably undermine the integrity of WP as a whole (which we've kind of already seen on occasion this year.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:57:10 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »

Jim
LOL!!  ;D
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
Interesting dilemma, to say the least.  Although both titles share the same product and name, both are also exceptional in their own right.  I'm sure this must happen from time to time, though, what with the vast number of parodies made over the years.

Despite the fact that I already own Neil's version - and Dave's version would make a nice addition to my collection, as well - a certain respect must prevail between the various artists and their respective creations.  I suppose this is unfortunate for collectors always eager to collect more, however crossing lines would inevitably lead to not only bad feelings, but also anarchy, a vast free-for-all in which anything - names, details, etc. - would be up for grabs and inevitably undermine the integrity of WP as a whole (which we've kind of already seen on occasion this year.)
Is it a fact that the same main gag title for the same product being ridiculed exists?  Does someone have a running list or some examples?  I had grown tired of the same products being spoofed over and over but if the same gag's are being created too, that multiplies the saturation impact for me.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
Not to fan any embers, however for what it's worth...

Why not add an "e" to the end of both words?

And why not change "Curst" to "Cursed?"

All four of the concepts are great, and all four of the gags are completely different.  As it stands, I have two in my binders and two in my digital library.  Taking into consideration the time, thought, and effort that went into these titles, it would be a sad loss if two were consigned to eternal darkness.  Over and above all, WP are meant to make people smile and laugh.  Why not let them fulfill their destiny?

Just a thought.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2017, 07:24:32 AM »
Anyone have an idea of the date in Oct this set will go up on Topps site? 

Andrew

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
Anyone have an idea of the date in Oct this set will go up on Topps site? 
Andrew
Thursday's seem to be the preferred on-sale date for all the recent GPK and Wacky sets.

this week, I would guess there's a possibility of something to tie in with NYCC

Dave said mid-October, so I'll guess the 12th.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
Thursday's seem to be the preferred on-sale date for all the recent GPK and Wacky sets.

this week, I would guess there's a possibility of something to tie in with NYCC

Dave said mid-October, so I'll guess the 12th.

You're probably right, Patrick.  You're rather good at this kind of thing.  Wouldn't surprise me if in some past life you were a Maya predicting eclipses and that sort of thing!

Oh, and by the way, if OS6 is offered at a bulk discount rate, should we reform the BBC temporarily?  Kind of a reunion thing?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:40:39 PM by Baked Bears »

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
Oh, and by the way, if OS6 is offered at a bulk discount rate, should we reform the BBC temporarily?  Kind of a reunion thing?
a 'reunion' tour could always happen, but if the GPK set is reasonable indicator, the bulk buy option wouldn't be worth the effort. GPK's only had a $5 discount per set. Add in postage to re-mail them and everyone would only save a buck or so.
But even if the discount were significant, I don't think it would be a good idea due to the sketch cards. It's best if everyone gets their sketches directly from topps.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
a 'reunion' tour could always happen, but if the GPK set is reasonable indicator, the bulk buy option wouldn't be worth the effort. GPK's only had a $5 discount per set. Add in postage to re-mail them and everyone would only save a buck or so.
But even if the discount were significant, I don't think it would be a good idea due to the sketch cards. It's best if everyone gets their sketches directly from topps.

Ah, good point! 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »
Definitely going to be white backs

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
I'm just looking forward to this release. The OLDS were the best part of the 50th Series, for me. Bring 'em on!
Brian Mc

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2017, 01:15:44 PM »
Hope to have info and some images on Thursday. A week before the release.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »

We will be watching for them!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2017, 02:30:04 AM »

Inquiring "wacky" minds would like to know.  ;)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »

Inquiring "wacky" minds would like to know.  ;)

Yea like - FORUM Discounts.....$$$$$ :] :] :] :] :] :]

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
The series is getting moved to November which is actually good news. Will get info when I can.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »
Thanks SJ!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »
Great. That gives us more time to save up for this set. I have a feeling you will put together a compelling offer that might make some people purchase more than one set.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
I'm pushing for some things to be in the offer and this gives me more time to try to convince them. Busy working on paintings for the new WP set for next year so time is limited right now.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »
I'm pushing for some things to be in the offer and this gives me more time to try to convince them. Busy working on paintings for the new WP set for next year so time is limited right now.

Thanks for the update, Dave, and for working to make the set as good as possible.  As much as I'd like it this month, November ain't far away and I'd like it to be as close to your vision as possible.

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »
GPK classic sales are posted. Only 156 sets sold.
Lower than I thought it would be. But then, to me, there wasn’t much that made this set stand out to drive sales. Apparently nearly 1000 sketches were produced.

I think Olds 6 sales will be quite strong though, as it’s been highly desired for years.

Offline drono

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
GPK classic sales are posted. Only 156 sets sold.
Lower than I thought it would be. But then, to me, there wasn’t much that made this set stand out to drive sales.

I think this was an "odd" set for GPK.  I seem to remember the OS sets having 88 stickers and this set only had 40.  It sounds like Old School 6 is going to be more like the WP OS with 30-33 stickers (or cards), so it should appeal to the collectors more than the GPK set.  I also suspect the $99 price tag hurt sales since most of the GPK collectors were born in the late 70s and have less disposable income than the WP collectors who were mostly born in the early 60s.  I know that 10 years ago when my kids were 12 and 15, and my thoughts were about putting them in college, I had a lot less disposable income.

I've been looking forward to Old School 6 after the 50th set was such a disappointment.  That being said, I hope this set isn't in the $99 range, or I might think twice about buying one.  It sounds like the appeal of opening packs will be gone, so that will make my interest wane.  I typically buy a box to keep unopened and one to open from Topps, and then buy whatever I need to finish off the base and chase sets from ebay.  While I probably still spent around $100 before, I got a lot more than just 33 cards.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
I'll buy a set even if $99 but that would definitely hurt overall sales.  Wish it was kiss-cut.  :sad:

Looks like the art and gags are going to be a classic!

People love to crack open packs Topps.   Don't forget that appeal.   :great:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:17:18 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
Mr. Gross, we need old school 6 spoilers please.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
More Old School 6 sketch cards posted by artists on the "EvoMasher's Wacky Packages Marketplace" Facebook page:

Joey Fritchett

Jon Gregory:

Joseph Grotesque:

Jason Heil:

Rö García Astorga:

B. Scotchmer:

Gavin Williams:

I am not sure who this is without looking back at some of the 50th Anniversary sketches they did:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:25:35 PM by RawGoo »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)