Author Topic: Old School 6  (Read 89044 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Old School 6
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
As much as I like OLDS sets, to me $75-100 isn't worth it.. I probably won't go for it unless it's less than that because there are plenty of OS things that I need that I would buy over that. Just my opinion.

If the set is broken down, it might be easier to afford.  If you pass entirely, though, you might wind up paying more in the long run if you do decide to collect them later on.  Plus - and these are just my opinions - it's a near guarantee that you're going to get a top-notch set (unlike other recent sets in which half of the titles don't cut the mustard, but rather just the cheese.)  When you look back at the 50th Anniversary Series, although several individual titles stood out on their own, I believe most WP enthusiasts would have to admit that the OS subset really shone.  Looking at it another way, Dave has been actively advocating to ensure a "higher quality" for OS6 - delving into myriad details such as borders, content, etc. (as well as painting the actual titles) for many, many months now.  Dave may not be able to set prices, yet he is the only cook in the kitchen, and I've a feeling he has prepared many a delightful dish on which to feast our eyes - and get our money's worth.

Perhaps shameful to admit, but back in the Bulk Buyers Club days, there were many occasions in which I felt that I was simply throwing good money away.  Thanks to Patrick (Fanatical_and_ Sickly,) we were able to reduce costs and, come a time, actually had more of a choice in what we purchased.  Even at that, though, there was still dissatisfaction with thin borders, made up products, etc..  What Dave (and Neil and Joe G. and even George Wright) have recently promised us, though, is actual honest-to-goodness Wackys - and I believe they will deliver without disappointment.  Oh, we may have our own personal preferences when it comes to the actual titles and humor, but I feel there will not be a bad one in the bunch.  And yes, they might be a bit pricey, however forewarned is forearmed.  Being a teacher, I haven't received a paycheck since June, aside from my first of the school year being just last Friday.  So I'm not exactly sitting comfortably in a financial sense on top of the world at the moment, if you know what I'm saying.  However, having certain knowledge beforehand, I believe I can scrimp here and there in order to meet various sales dates.  October promises to be exciting, what with Neil's Pack O' Fun, Joe's Parotees, and Dave's OS6.  And maybe, just maybe, George Wright might make an appearance.  These artists have been putting in more effort and commitment (than I doubt many of us could even imagine) to pull Wackys up out of a quagmire, and I believe it is going to be a festive month all around.  Price walks hand-in-hand with Quality, and like Dave alluded to a few posts earlier, you get what you pay for.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
One last note...

If we are, indeed, an "elite" group (as Dave earlier mentioned,) just a handful of souls (out of billions) that appreciate the six Old School series (or WP in general,) than we can't really expect to pay Walmart prices.  Again, you get what you pay for.  Sadly and unfortunately, the days of 5 cents packs are long gone.  A few artists (and Topps,) however, still continue to carry the Wacky banner - for which we should be appreciative and grateful.  We're a special group, lucky and/or blessed to have a few special individuals still committed to the cause.  And as with any small, elite group or club, membership fees must sometimes border on the expensive if we are to preserve a certain integrity and quality.

Perhaps we should all chip in and purchase an old turn-of-the-century city building and turn into a "Diogenes"-like sort of club.  We could all grow beards and mustaches, wear smoking jackets, and hold snifters of brandy as we bask in the sublime presence of immense gilded-framed "Hawaiian Punks" and "Pupsi" posters on the hallowed walls.  Here and there would be busts on pedestals:  Jay Lynch, Norm Saunders, etc..  And the foyer would contain a large painting (similar to the one below) in which Old Glory has been replaced by "Gadzooka."  (In other words, it would be an asylum for nuts, screwballs, and fruitcakes.)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:18:56 PM by RawGoo »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
Did slamjim get my PM some weeks ago regarding a suggestion for a 1990's Wacky Packages Old School subset that was a spoof of the now ceased Archie comics Sonic the Hedgehog comic book (though the Sonic comic book rights are moving to IDW starting in 2018)?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
Did slamjim get my PM some weeks ago regarding a suggestion for a 1990's Wacky Packages Old School subset that was a spoof of the now ceased Archie comics Sonic the Hedgehog comic book (though the Sonic comic book rights are moving to IDW starting in 2018)?

I still don't understand what your argument has been with OLDS sets other than 1970's... They wouldn't be "Old School" then, would they?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »

I've got enough good products for at least another couple of rounds of 70s gags, maybe more. Would like to do the 80s at some point as well and also maybe a cool prequel WP series featuring products from the 50s and 60s. All depends on sales of this set.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
... and also maybe a cool prequel WP series featuring products from the 50s and 60s.

Back to the atomic age!  That would be very, very cool, indeed! 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
Back to the atomic age!  That would be very, very cool, indeed!

Absolutely! The 50s and 60s had some of the best package design ever.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2017, 05:53:31 PM »
The political stuff that was in this thread this afternoon has been moved to a new thread in the Non-Wacky Discussion section.  Please, in the future, put the political stuff in the Non-Wacky Discussion section.  I am dismayed that it seems that we have gotten to the point that even Wacky collectors are now being divided because of political views.  Let's just talk Wackys in the Wacky Discussion section.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
I've got enough good products for at least another couple of rounds of 70s gags, maybe more. Would like to do the 80s at some point as well and also maybe a cool prequel WP series featuring products from the 50s and 60s. All depends on sales of this set.
Who is the target audience for this set?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2017, 02:26:37 AM »
I am dismayed that it seems that we have gotten to the point that even Wacky collectors are now being divided because of political views. 

Yes, it is somewhat disappointing to me too.. But at some points in time I have to stand my ground and fight for what I feel is right. This is one of those times, although, it seems like no one else is on my side to help me out. Looks like I'll be riding alone.. again.  :]

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2017, 03:21:51 AM »
So this will be an "Old School" set with "New School" pricing. I am in at whatever price it carries; but expected $34.95 to $49.95. I don't feel $3.00 per card
is appropriate for an Old School set.  We have a history with Old School of having lower prices and these cards are not "On Demand" cards. The $10 price per card for On-Demand has to do with quick turnaround and one day or very short term sales periods.  If the price has to be much higher for the set to exist at all then so be it; but I did not expect the price to be $80 to $100. What's next? $8.00 per pack for next Wacky Retail release?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2017, 03:56:38 AM »
Who is the target audience for this set?

Below is a quote from Chad Scheres from page 1 of this thread:

I'll be doing 25 sketch cards and have been given the OK to do Tobacco and Alcohol so am looking forward to that since those are my favorites!!

My guess would be that this is an online exclusive targeted at adults.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2017, 05:16:23 AM »
For those recent Star Wars online sets, I didn't want to spend X-amount of high dollars on those to get a potentially great sketch or autograph card, yet they were hot sellers for people who wanted to spin the wheel of fortune. I waited a few weeks later and bought a set on ebay for a lot less and has everything but the sketch card...which is fine for me!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
But let's all pull back a bit because we don;t even know if this is what it is. Maybe it is less. Maybe it's more. I will try to get more info this week.Hopefulyl i can get them to release a image or two as well.

Once again, thanks for the updates Dave. Any info you are permitted to share is appreciated.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »
For those recent Star Wars online sets, I didn't want to spend X-amount of high dollars on those to get a potentially great sketch or autograph card, yet they were hot sellers for people who wanted to spin the wheel of fortune. I waited a few weeks later and bought a set on ebay for a lot less and has everything but the sketch card...which is fine for me!
I do this quite often for certain things but, when it comes to OLDS I'll pay full retail to show support. I want this series to continue. The only way that's going to happen is sales #'s.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Yes, it is somewhat disappointing to me too.. But at some points in time I have to stand my ground and fight for what I feel is right. This is one of those times, although, it seems like no one else is on my side to help me out. Looks like I'll be riding alone.. again.  :]

No, I am on your side, these people are employees and should do what they are paid to do, play a damn game. Their opinions should only count off the field. Game Day should be just that, not protest time!

Jim

Offline quas

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
No, I am on your side, these people are employees and should do what they are paid to do, play a damn game. Their opinions should only count off the field. Game Day should be just that, not protest time!

Jim

Can't they do both?  They can both protest, which doesn't occur during game time, and play the game as well.  No "delay of game" here from protesting.
Marc

Offline quas

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
Can't they do both?  They can both protest, which doesn't occur during game time, and play the game as well.  No "delay of game" here from protesting.

By the way, shouldn't these last few posts be in the Old School 6 Politics thread, not the Old School 6 thread?  Let's keep them separated!  :)
Marc

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »

They have 6 days a week to protest, again not on game day. They want a protest? lets see if this shrinks the ever tightening belt of Americas wallet. I know I have lost interest in the sport altogether. It is no longer a sport, but a stage. As with non-wacky wackys, I will vote with my wallet, its the only real voice any of us have.

Jim

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2017, 01:39:49 AM »
By the way, shouldn't these last few posts be in the Old School 6 Politics thread, not the Old School 6 thread?  Let's keep them separated!  :)

Yes, please keep this thread for Wackys!

Unfortunately, I don't see a way for me to move the recent political posts to the thread I created Sunday.  I'd have to make yet another new thread.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
Should have the info on Old School within the next few days.

Release date is definitely mid October.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
Great news, Dave!

I'd still love to see a "Wacky Wednesday" on the Topps NOW schedule, like you referred to before.

Each Wednesday, Topps offers a new ANS title or two, along with a new Old School title!  No Trumpocracy,
no Alternative Facts or posters, just a good ol' regular what-we're-used-to product parody!

Of course, I'm clearing your busy schedule to do all this hehe

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
Yeah, I like that as well Zen!

The GPK Classics set comes out tomorrow so maybe we will get an idea from about the pricing, sketch cards and way it will be sold.

Offline Wgblood

« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »
Lots more sketch cards showing up on Instagram:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:20:25 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »
Yeah, I like that as well Zen!

The GPK Classics set comes out tomorrow so maybe we will get an idea from about the pricing, sketch cards and way it will be sold.
Gpk classic is up. 40 cards (20x2) + a sketch for $99.99

Tiny, tiny discount if you buy 12 sets @ $1149.99

In the On Demand area. I’m sure the Wackys will be in the same location.

https://www.topps.com/ondemand.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:48:46 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
I just don't see the value for $99.00. 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
I just don't see the value for $99.00.

Me neither. A hundred bucks and gonna do it for me. Probably pass on OLDS 6 if that's what it is.

I mean, of course, I know they need the money, but, it sets an unrealistic price range for any collector like me who thinks it's ridiculous for a new set.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »
Gpk classic is up. 40 cards (20x2) + a sketch for $99.99

Tiny, tiny discount if you buy 12 sets @ $1149.99

In the On Demand area. I’m sure the Wackys will be in the same location.

https://www.topps.com/ondemand.html

So if that is the WP price it's $3.33 a card or a bit less if you factor in a sketch card as well. I don't see a problem with that. Mark Pingitore sells his homemade GPK sets for $35 which is 18 cards (only 9 original art) plus no sketch for $35. This GPK set is actually 20 original cards (plus 20 of the same card with a different name) and a sketch. The WP set will have 30 original cards and a sketch which looks like the best value to me. That's if it's $99. Don't know yet.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
So if that is the WP price it's $3.33 a card or a bit less if you factor in a sketch card as well. I don't see a problem with that. Mark Pingitore sells his homemade GPK sets for $35 which is 18 cards (only 9 original art) plus no sketch for $35. This GPK set is actually 20 original cards (plus 20 of the same card with a different name) and a sketch. The WP set will have 30 original cards and a sketch which looks like the best value to me. That's if it's $99. Don't know yet.

Effectively it should be about $75 prorated...discounting the sketch card...but I am sure they will slamfist us with $100+ shipping - in light of all the other OS Series - REALLY?? Hope the sketch cards don't suck ass like the ones showing on that GPK set..at that price they should all be in color and amazing!!Should have left it the way Dave was doing it...any prinitng plates? no any signed autos? no - I'll wait for evilBay...will that mean that the prices of our other OS Series sets JUST WENT UP in VALUE? hmm...Pass the MORON SALT  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
The WP set is still being finalized as far as pricing and how they are selling it. It will be much bigger than the GPK set and probably comparable to it in price per card. Could be sold in waves or as one set. Will LYK how it goes when I'm allowed to give out info. I'm pushing for a special feature that could make this set worth more to you....

Had a piece pulled from the set to cut it to 30. So (drum roll) here it is:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:20:42 PM by RawGoo »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
Had a piece pulled from the set to cut it to 30. So (drum roll) here it is:

From what I understand, it's due to a title of the same name I did for Pranky Products a while ago.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:21:40 PM by RawGoo »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2017, 03:19:52 PM »
OS6 may end up becoming a pretty valuable set if it costs a lot and is only available for one week. I can see it doubling in price on the resale front a year from now. Anyone who wants to collect OS sets will have to pay $$$ to own that set.  Kind of like the 16th series is these days. Once you get into original wackies...the road leads to the 16th series and that one will cost you.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
From what I understand, it's due to a title of the same name I did for Pranky Products a while ago.

Did you point this out to Colin or did they see that on their own? I don't see any reason not to have used the painting.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:22:08 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Fool-Aid

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »
I really wish they left the format alone, and kept the wax packs and randomly inserted gold tickets to redeem for an original art piece. Imo that would have stoked sales on unopened boxes. I'm not going to drop $100 for a set and random sketch. So glad we have the Halloween release coming.

I used to love Old School but it's not old school anymore..

Just to compare, you can currently buy an OS 5 basic set with puzzle for $10.00 shipping included on the Bay. I could go find a sketch but I don't think it would cost an additional $90. Is this set going to be extraordinarily superior to previous releases? If so maybe that will sway some of the others otherwise I don't see this selling anywhere close to previous releases..

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
I really wish they left the format alone, and kept the wax packs and randomly inserted gold tickets to redeem for an original art piece. Imo that would have stoked sales on unopened boxes. I'm not going to drop $100 for a set and random sketch. So glad we have the Halloween release coming.

I used to love Old School but it's not old school anymore..

Just to compare, you can currently buy an OS 5 basic set with puzzle for $10.00 shipping included on the Bay. I could go find a sketch but I don't think it would cost an additional $90. Is this set going to be extraordinarily superior to previous releases? If so maybe that will sway some of the others otherwise I don't see this selling anywhere close to previous releases..

Old School 5 is $10 a set because they made 5000 boxes which make 10,000+ sets from that probably. If there are 100, 200, 500 or whatever of Old School 6 it's going to be much more rare and more expensive just because of that.

They produced too many sets of Old School 5 so they didn't make enough to justify doing this one as a boxed. wrappered set. I wish they had stuck to the original number of 2000 boxes which would have made it work I think. These things are really expensive to make especially with wrappers and boxes and die-cuts.  So, the new reality is trying to package it up in some new ways. it's still Old School if you want to get a 30 card 1970s style set of Wackys. The extras were always just extras to me. Fun, but the set is supposed to be the main thing.

That being said, there is an extra set within this series and possibly some other things going on with it (possibly mentioned by you). Much more than with the GPK set. I'm hoping to be able to talk about stuff a good week before the release unlike the GPK set which they only announced the day before.

As for if it's superior to other OLDS releases if you are talking about the gags and art I would say it's my favorite but it's up to you in the end on that. Hopefully there is a market for this for the fans because if not it's Trump cards, a fake product poster stuff and celebrities in the future.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:17:00 PM by slamjim »

anything