Author Topic: Old School 6  (Read 89026 times)

Offline vahsurfer

Re: Old School 6
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
Is there a release date for Topps for the on-line buying yet?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
From Instagram

Thanks for posting that.  I like all those sketches.  I don't recall seeing this artist's name before, but perhaps I haven't been paying close attention these past few releases.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:16:41 PM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:03 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  I like all those sketches.  I don't recall seeing this artist's name before, but perhaps I haven't been paying close attention these past few releases.

I know he was one of the sketch artists for the 50th Anniversary set. But I don't think previous to that (but not 100% sure).
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 02:45:03 AM »
Since OS6 will be sold without packs; do we think they may do a small box for the set? The recent Mars Attacks Revenge set came in pretty nice collector box. No
packs to open but the cards were mixed up with the "Hits" placed on the end of the stack of cards.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
Since OS6 will be sold without packs; do we think they may do a small box for the set? The recent Mars Attacks Revenge set came in pretty nice collector box. No
packs to open but the cards were mixed up with the "Hits" placed on the end of the stack of cards.

There is a GPK Classics set coming out online with sketch cards in October as well. I'm guessing whatever format they use for that will be the same with Old School and I think that comes out first.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Here's my sketches for Old School 6. I went with ones that we aren't allowed to draw on other Wacky sets.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:16:55 PM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
Here's my sketches for Old School 6. I went with ones that we aren't allowed to draw on other Wacky sets.

That's a lot of Wacky Tobaccy!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:17:12 PM by RawGoo »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
Chad,

Those look great. Hoping I pull the Super Cigar Crisp one.....

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
Chad,

Those look great. Hoping I pull the Super Cigar Crisp one.....
Thanks, yea that's always been a favorite of mine.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »
is there going to be a pre order or a launch date?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2017, 04:21:15 AM »
What are we speculating this release will cost?

My guess is $34.95

Andrew

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »

Very nice! I would love to end up with Ale or Super Cigar Crisp.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:17:27 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2017, 04:57:00 AM »
What are we speculating this release will cost?
My guess is $34.95
Andrew
I would say easily more than double that, probably pushing $100

Offline Wgblood

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2017, 07:37:12 AM »
More from Instagram

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:17:40 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »

Ouch!!!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:17:52 PM by RawGoo »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »

Why is that?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:43 PM »

I would say no more than $ 49.95. We are talking 30 cards, maybe 9 puzzle pieces and 1 sketch.

I stlll think $34.95 is what we will see. How do you figure $100?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
No idea what the pricing will be for the set yet but it's an online set. What's the average price per card for these? It's 30 cards. They need to sell a fair amount of sets to make any money. If they are selling a 12 card set for $49.99 what's a 30 card set cost? Plus with a sketch card? No idea yet what they plan to do with all this. Probably need to sell around 300-400 sets i would guess.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:29:54 PM by slamjim »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
No idea what the pricing will be for the set yet but it's an online set. What's the average price per card for these? It's 30 cards. They need to sell a fair amount of sets to make any money. If they are selling a 12 card set for $49.99 what's a 30 card set cost? Plus with a sketch card? No idea yet what they plan to do with all this. Probably need to sell around 300-400 sets i would guess.

I can see where you are going with the price/card ratio, but they are putting those cards at a ridiculous price and I can assure you that they are selling less because of it. So, I'm going to stick with Baked Bear's price.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »
I can see where you are going with the price/card ratio, but they are putting those cards at a ridiculous price and I can assure you that they are selling less because of it. So, I'm going to stick with Baked Bear's price.

You mean Dr. Deal's price, National Spittoon.  (At the present moment, I am only selling the genuine imitation bootleg sets at $10 per card - just like the good ole' POD days!  But, hey, they're scratch-n-sniffs, so that should count for something!)

Let's see...  Since were all speculating, I'd go with $59.95 + postage.  Kind of on the expensive side, yet affordable and not completely over the top.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »

Old School 6 will be packless?! Why?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
They could even break it up, and sell 10 cards at a whack, at a certain price?

I know, it's probably a crazy idea, but it could be beneficial to string it out a bit.
Or six cards at a time?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »

With no packs, no box, no envelope, no shitty poster box topper or extra add ins. All this to "save" money, why would these be so much more than the regular $49.99 - $59.99?

The POD cards I would think the reason the price was so high was the bang, out the door turnover. With old school, I don't think these were done "bang, out the door".

With sketch's not fetching what they used to, its going to be hard to justify the $100 price tag. If that's what they decide. Just look at what Neil is doing for 36 bucks.

just hoping for a great set!
Jim

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2017, 06:04:21 AM »
I guess pricing will be determined by the amount of total sets available.  If though it is too high you lose the initial rush. My threshold is in the thirties.  If they ate more I can wait until they are "on sale" on eBay.  Or they get blown out by Topps.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 06:25:08 AM »
I would say no more than $ 49.95. We are talking 30 cards, maybe 9 puzzle pieces and 1 sketch.

I stlll think $34.95 is what we will see. How do you figure $100?
I as looking at recent sets like the GPK Best of the Fest, 18 cards @$45.
Or the Star Wars On-Demand set of 20 cards + 1 auto @$60.
With 30 cards plus a sketch, seems like this would be >$75

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »
They could even break it up, and sell 10 cards at a whack, at a certain price?

I know, it's probably a crazy idea, but it could be beneficial to string it out a bit.
Or six cards at a time?

That's what I initially heard was to break it into groups of ten cards. I did 25 paintings and they had me do an additional 5 to make it 30. Don't know if that is the plan still once I heard they are doing sketch cards because I can't figure how that would work unless you get a sketch for each ten you buy or you need to buy the three groups of ten to get a sketch card or it's sold as a full set and you get a sketch card. If you are buying ten of these every month or other month then it makes more sense and matches the other online cards people were buying anyway. I like the idea of ten cards every other month with 30 cards making a set then the next ten would start a new set so now the online cards are now a full on continuing collection. But if it needs sketch cards for each set they'd probably need gaps between each series.

Either way if you think the set of 30 will be $30 then the series will be dead in the water and you'll be getting Trump cards and shitty looking non-product WPs again.

While Neil's sets may be $36 there are not 30 cards and Neil does not have to pay himself. I'm fairly certain Topps would lose money at $36.

How many WP collectors are even left in the world? If 100 people buy the set it's a flop. As I said I think you need around 300-400 sales for this and the GPK Classics to make money and sense otherwise they will have to do the cards the way they were doing them. I'm glad they are trying something new with these and hope people buy them because I think we will get real old style WPs and GPK again if it does. No politics or entertainment or sports involved.

Once I find out their plans on this I hopefully can offer up some ideas to tweak it to make it work smartly for everyone. I have no real info so keep in mind whatever I just wrote is purely speculation at this point.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »

You have an intuitive knack for this kind of stuff, Patrick, and I believe you may be right.  Once you do the division in the two examples you provided, the individual cards come out at approximately $3.00 apiece.  So, yeah, $75 - $100 does make sense for 30 cards.

Expensive, yes.  But at least it's better than what Topps was charging for the POD cards at $10 a pop.  And with Dave Gross at the helm, I believe we can all expect to receive a very decent set insofar as artwork, gags, and overall quality.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »

And keep in mind the GPK set was really 9 pieces of new art not 18. The extra 9 cards was just changing the name plate on the computer. If it had been 18 new pieces of art the price would have been higher.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
You have an intuitive knack for this kind of stuff, Patrick, and I believe you may be right.  Once you do the division in the two examples you provided, the individual cards come out at approximately $3.00 apiece.  So, yeah, $75 - $100 does make sense for 30 cards.

Expensive, yes.  But at least it's better than what Topps was charging for the POD cards at $10 a pop.  And with Dave Gross at the helm, I believe we can all expect to receive a very decent set insofar as artwork, gags, and overall quality.

Thanks, I feel this is the best Old School set I did. If you liked the other sets you will like these. I had time to paint each one and didn't have only a single day like on many of the other online sets.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:47 AM »

That's what I've been thinking, somewhere between $75 and $100.  For great artwork and gags, plus a sketch, I'll go for it! 

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
I'm also in at that pricepoint ($75-$100). Been waitin' on this set for too long. Can't wait for the release.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2017, 08:18:37 AM »
I'm also in at that pricepoint ($75-$100). Been waitin' on this set for too long. Can't wait for the release.

But let's all pull back a bit because we don;t even know if this is what it is. Maybe it is less. Maybe it's more. I will try to get more info this week.Hopefulyl i can get them to release a image or two as well.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »
That's what I initially heard was to break it into groups of ten cards. I did 25 paintings and they had me do an additional 5 to make it 30. Don't know if that is the plan still once I heard they are doing sketch cards because I can't figure how that would work unless you get a sketch for each ten you buy or you need to buy the three groups of ten to get a sketch card or it's sold as a full set and you get a sketch card. If you are buying ten of these every month or other month then it makes more sense and matches the other online cards people were buying anyway. I like the idea of ten cards every other month with 30 cards making a set then the next ten would start a new set so now the online cards are now a full on continuing collection. But if it needs sketch cards for each set they'd probably need gaps between each series.

Either way if you think the set of 30 will be $30 then the series will be dead in the water and you'll be getting Trump cards and shitty looking non-product WPs again.

While Neil's sets may be $36 there are not 30 cards and Neil does not have to pay himself. I'm fairly certain Topps would lose money at $36.

How many WP collectors are even left in the world? If 100 people buy the set it's a flop. As I said I think you need around 300-400 sales for this and the GPK Classics to make money and sense otherwise they will have to do the cards the way they were doing them. I'm glad they are trying something new with these and hope people buy them because I think we will get real old style WPs and GPK again if it does. No politics or entertainment or sports involved.

Once I find out their plans on this I hopefully can offer up some ideas to tweak it to make it work smartly for everyone. I have no real info so keep in mind whatever I just wrote is purely speculation at this point.

I guess it could be 3 subsets of 10:
* 1970's product parodies
* 1980's product parodies
* 1990's product parodies

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
That's what I've been thinking, somewhere between $75 and $100.  For great artwork and gags, plus a sketch, I'll go for it!

As much as I like OLDS sets, to me $75-100 isn't worth it.. I probably won't go for it unless it's less than that because there are plenty of OS things that I need that I would buy over that. Just my opinion.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2017, 09:50:58 AM »
Hopefully I can get them to release a image or two as well.

An image or two would be cool.  (Give us something us different to talk about and anticipate.)

On a similar note, it's always fun to wonder and speculate upon what the parodies will be and their respective product counterparts.  We've seen a glimpse of Neil's "Kraken," but what other treats might possibly fill our bags?  Joe G. has hinted at an October sci-fi parody, but what do the stars foretell?  (Personally, I'm hoping it's "Guardians of the Galaxy" related.)  And with Dave's OS6, well, a road trip down Memory Lane awaits.  Being both a cat and candy lover, I was pleasantly surprised to find "Atomic Furball" in OS4 - yet never saw it coming beforehand.  It's like kind of opening up Christmas presents, if you take my meaning.  One just never knows what's beneath the wrapping paper.  You're always hoping and guessing, hoping and guessing in a constant state of excitement.  To me, the "discovery" is just as meaningful - and has much the same impact/intensity - as possessing the actual gift.

So, any thoughts on what might be in store for us with OS6?  Ranger Rick's Nature Magazine?  Jordan Almonds?  Those little wax bottles with colored juice inside? 

anything