Author Topic: Cavich Parodies  (Read 2852 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Cavich Parodies
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »
Just curious Mark, was the character on Sugar Gin inspired by the character on Ale Detergent?

Yep. Just like My T Fink inspired Slobway in ANS 2.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:08:44 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
Nice design!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 05:06:06 AM »
Question-

Which design would anyone prefer to see finished?

Hearse Chokelate (Heath Chocolate)

OR

Newtport Cigarettes (Newport Cigarettes)

Thanks!

Also, here are the scans of the stuff on TeePublic for ease of access.

Stinkies vs Twinkies

Sugar Gin vs Sugar Twin

Spatula vs 1979's Dracula

Moosey Fruit vs Juicy Fruit

Cavich Parodies on 1st Series Wrapper
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:15:08 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
My choice would be "Newtport."

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »
I added a rough design for Stinkies, and one for Sugar Gin. (Basically like pencil cards.) They are available in tees and stickers.

I also added the Guilt concept, since it was already in 'color'. Thanks!

P.S. I will start on Newtport. Should be finished soon. Most likely will finish next weekend.
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 05:06:00 AM »
Newtport

Will upload to TeePublic shortly.

Thanks!
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
If you purchase something off of TeePublic, and use the code "Giveme25", you get 25% off. Until tonight at midnight. Thanks,
Mark

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 06:56:30 AM »
If you purchase something off of TeePublic, and use the code "Giveme25", you get 25% off. Until tonight at midnight. Thanks,

After receiving an email about a free shipping code last week I had a shirt and a bunch of stickers in my cart last weekend, but the code wouldn't work.  Now I missed this one.  Maybe someday.....

Keep up with your endeavors!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »
After receiving an email about a free shipping code last week I had a shirt and a bunch of stickers in my cart last weekend, but the code wouldn't work.  Now I missed this one.  Maybe someday.....

Keep up with your endeavors!

Will do!

I will mention the one downfall to TeePublic is that you can't pick a size for your stickers. I would want them all to be the standard 3.5x2.5 in or whatever it is so that they could simply be put in a binder. Kinda makes me want to look for a site that I could make a card set on.
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »
New parody.

Lagoon Pie vs Moon Pie

Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
Good one!

I especially like the word play on marshmallow (Marshwallow) and chocolate (muckolate.)  To me, chocolate is always a difficult word to parody.

I also noticed your use of shading - the two lagoon pies, the water, and particularly the moon.  You're art skills are evolving.

Oftentimes we do something and then expect immediate results - presto! - magical, instant gratification.  Some things, however, just take time - weeks, months, even years.  On occasion, I'll research some of today's artists to see how they began in the world of WP.  (If you go over to Greg Grant's wackypackages.org, you can look up this information.)  For the most part, the stories are nearly the same.  An artist has only one or two titles in a series.  Or maybe even only a concept (which another artist painted.)  Next year, next series, they have a few more.  And so on.  Finally, they get where they are today.  The process takes years, however.  You can see this happening right now with Chad Scheres and Robert Jiminez.  I'm sure if you asked them, they would say that this process is sometimes frustrating.  They would probably also tell you stories about how many of their concepts were rejected (for whatever reason) - even though they believed these concepts shone like gold.  (And perhaps they did.)  And I'm quite certain they could tell you how their artistic skills and techniques have evolved over time.  Somewhere here on the forum are some scans of early parodies that George Wright did in his youth.  I'm sure he would laugh and smile if he compared these to any one of his Galactic Groceries titles.  But he would probably also say that some of these earlier parodies held promise and were stepping stones to where he got today.

As I said, your art skills are already evolving.  The difference is evident.  And just think, with more and more practical experience, what your parodies are going to look like a few years from now.

On another note, along with your other endeavors, you could also make prints to share, trade, or sell.  Staples, for example, offers such a service.  The price per print is only $1.00 plus, the quality of the prints is better than what I believe you would expect, and they have stores everywhere.  I'm not suggesting that you run over there today and have 100 copies printed of everything you have ever done.  Perhaps 2 or 3 of your favorites, for now.  Just food for thought.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
Good one!

I especially like the word play on marshmallow (Marshwallow) and chocolate (muckolate.)  To me, chocolate is always a difficult word to parody.

I also noticed your use of shading - the two lagoon pies, the water, and particularly the moon.  You're art skills are evolving.

Oftentimes we do something and then expect immediate results - presto! - magical, instant gratification.  Some things, however, just take time - weeks, months, even years.  On occasion, I'll research some of today's artists to see how they began in the world of WP.  (If you go over to Greg Grant's wackypackages.org, you can look up this information.)  For the most part, the stories are nearly the same.  An artist has only one or two titles in a series.  Or maybe even only a concept (which another artist painted.)  Next year, next series, they have a few more.  And so on.  Finally, they get where they are today.  The process takes years, however.  You can see this happening right now with Chad Scheres and Robert Jiminez.  I'm sure if you asked them, they would say that this process is sometimes frustrating.  They would probably also tell you stories about how many of their concepts were rejected (for whatever reason) - even though they believed these concepts shone like gold.  (And perhaps they did.)  And I'm quite certain they could tell you how their artistic skills and techniques have evolved over time.  Somewhere here on the forum are some scans of early parodies that George Wright did in his youth.  I'm sure he would laugh and smile if he compared these to any one of his Galactic Groceries titles.  But he would probably also say that some of these earlier parodies held promise and were stepping stones to where he got today.

As I said, your art skills are already evolving.  The difference is evident.  And just think, with more and more practical experience, what your parodies are going to look like a few years from now.

On another note, along with your other endeavors, you could also make prints to share, trade, or sell.  Staples, for example, offers such a service.  The price per print is only $1.00 plus, the quality of the prints is better than what I believe you would expect, and they have stores everywhere.  I'm not suggesting that you run over there today and have 100 copies printed of everything you have ever done.  Perhaps 2 or 3 of your favorites, for now.  Just food for thought.

It's nice to know that I am getting below average.

Thanks for the advice as well.
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
It's nice to know that I am getting below average.

Mark.

No, that's not what I meant at all, and sorry if you took offense.  I was trying to pay you a compliment and tell you that your artwork is evolving.  As it will continue to do.  As every artist's artwork evolves.  If someone, say like Neil Camera, paints a title today and then paints a title 10 years from now, there are bound to be differences in his style and technique.  That doesn't mean that today's title is crappy or below average.  It just means that his artwork has changed, evolved.  And yours is changing, too.  The same goes with nearly everything.  Take body building, for example.  I'm a skinny dude, but if I began body building and putting on muscle mass over the upcoming years, it doesn't mean that I am any less of a person now.  I'm just trying to say that there is always room for improvement, with anybody, in absolutely everything.  Like I said, I noticed that your style is improving and wished to compliment upon it, that's all.  And whether you want it to or not, whether you can see it ever happening or not, your style is going to continue to change and evolve.  I'm not a psychic, but I can see where your artwork is going, what it is going to become, so I am looking at it from this point of view.  Again, please accept my apologies.  I'll refrain from any further comments.

Rob
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:08:14 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
No, that's not what I meant at all.

I know that's not what you meant. It's what I think. You said I'm improving, so beforehand I would've been mega terrible or something like that.
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
I know that's not what you meant. It's what I think. You said I'm improving, so beforehand I would've been mega terrible or something like that.

Okay, I lied.  I won't refrain from any further comments.

I noticed that you just used the word "terrible" - and spelled it correctly.  Once upon a time, like back in 1st grade, you didn't know how to spell that word.  Instead, you knew how to spell words like "cat" and "dog."  Did that make you a mega terrible speller?  No.  And years from now, your vocabulary will have expanded even more.  As will everything.  For example, math skills (which you think you're good at now - and are, at the moment - but will become even better at.)  By the way, how are your driving skills?  Not so good, perhaps, I'll wager.  So does this mean you're a terrible driver?  Do you see what I'm getting at?

Dude, you are going to do things that you never even imagined, things that are impossible to even conceive of at the present moment.  You're not going to walk right into them, though, so just nix that thought.  Instead, they're going to take time.  Forgive me for saying so, but you strike me as being rush, rush, rush.  I say so and recognize it because I am the same exact way.  And when things don't happen immediately the way we wish them to, it tends to get us down and frustrated.  This is our foe, but at least we can recognize the enemy and make adjustments as to how we can combat it so it doesn't drag us down all the time.

Oh, and I was planting a seed in your mind when I mentioned the prints.  For your sake, and I admit, selfishly for my own.  If you do decide to make prints, I would like a couple.  Thanks.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »
Okay, I lied.  I won't refrain from any further comments.

I noticed that you just used the word "terrible" - and spelled it correctly.  Once upon a time, like back in 1st grade, you didn't know how to spell that word.  Instead, you knew how to spell words like "cat" and "dog."  Did that make you a mega terrible speller?  No.  And years from now, your vocabulary will have expanded even more.  As will everything.  For example, math skills (which you think you're good at now - and are, at the moment - but will become even better at.)  By the way, how are your driving skills?  Not so good, perhaps, I'll wager.  So does this mean you're a terrible driver?  Do you see what I'm getting at?

Dude, you are going to do things that you never even imagined, things that are impossible to even conceive of at the present moment.  You're not going to walk right into them, though, so just nix that thought.  Instead, they're going to take time.  Forgive me for saying so, but you strike me as being rush, rush, rush.  I say so and recognize it because I am the same exact way.  And when things don't happen immediately the way we wish them to, it tends to get us down and frustrated.  This is our foe, but at least we can recognize the enemy and make adjustments as to how we can combat it so it doesn't drag us down all the time.

Oh, and I was planting a seed in your mind when I mentioned the prints.  For your sake, and I admit, selfishly for my own.  If you do decide to make prints, I would like a couple.  Thanks.

Okay.. Don't know how I can respond to that one. I am impatient.. I know that much.

And the print thing isn't something I'm sure about right now. I'd have to go to my semi not really local one to check it out.
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
Here's an added bonus: A sketch of View Monster

Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »
Is your baby picture - you know, the one your mom shows others to embarrass you - any real indicator of what you are today?  Nope, they are, for the most part, two different things.  One grew into the other.  And your logic about being mega terrible beforehand doesn't apply to things that grow.  Anything that grows.  Talent, creativity, skills, a tree, a kangaroo - anything.  My point is you're creative and you have talent, and anything you did yesterday doesn't suck terribly compared to what you will do tomorrow, so don't be so darn hard on yourself, because the only thing it generates is disappointment and regret, which, of course, translates into just being even harder on yourself.  Hey, creativity can be the best thing in the world - it keeps us going, fuels our fires of inspiration - and at the same time, can also be a big-pain-in-the-butt curse.  Oh well, I guess we're stuck with it.  The worst thing is when you lose it altogether.  Now that's something to complain about.

By the way, when you DON'T make any prints, I would like "Lagoon Pie," "Newtport," and "Moosey Fruit," please.  These are my favorites.  (The other titles are good - and so is da Vinci's "The Last Supper" - but they're not my favorites, so please don't feel they stink because they're not on my favorites list.  If I could choose from any art in the world to put in my house, I'd turn down thousands of great paintings just to fill my walls with a few.  So would you.)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
By the way, when you DON'T make any prints

What is THAT supposed to mean? I'm lazy?
Mark

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
What is THAT supposed to mean? I'm lazy?

Although I certainly can't speak for Baked Bears, I took his post as him joking, and believing that you WOULD be producing some prints, once you figured out the best way to proceed with the project, because you are energetic and enthusiastic, and that he was looking forward to having them available.

I have seen nothing posted from anyone here that even hints that you are lazy.  On the contrary, we have been encouraging you to continue with your artistic works, and collecting Wackys.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:52:24 PM by RawGoo »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
Although I certainly can't speak for Baked Bears, I took his post as him joking, and believing that you WOULD be producing some prints, once you figured out the best way to proceed with the project, because you are energetic and enthusiastic, and that he was looking forward to having them available.

I have seen nothing posted from anyone here that even hints that you are lazy.  On the contrary, we have been encouraging you to continue with your artistic works, and collecting Wackys.

I was just a bit confused by the statement, tis all. And yes I will of course continue.  :D
As long as anyone likes them, I will.

I actually am thinking of starting to draw every original series card that exists but that would A: take a lot of paper and B: take a lot of time.
Sounds fun!!!
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »

Thanks, RawGoo.  Yes, you can speak for me, and, yes, I was joking, and, yes, I am looking forward to having some prints available, when they become available.

BB

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Thanks, RawGoo.  Yes, you can speak for me, and, yes, I was joking, and, yes, I am looking forward to having some prints available, when they become available.

BB

Sorry for the misinterpretation. Will see about going to staples this weekend to check out the prints.
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Pretty happy with this... but without further ado... my best work yet... I think... my art of... Boredom's!

Mark

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 03:04:33 AM »
I like the way you did the shading on the top of the jar  :great:

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »
I like the way you did the shading on the top of the jar  :great:

Thanks! I've been working on shading, and even though it's not the best, I think I am getting somewhere. Took a while too. I'm not rushing anything, so hope that helps improvement. (Not that I really particularly rushed anything before, but I am working on small details.)
Mark

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 06:35:50 AM »
Thanks! I've been working on shading, and even though it's not the best, I think I am getting somewhere. Took a while too. I'm not rushing anything, so hope that helps improvement. (Not that I really particularly rushed anything before, but I am working on small details.)

Small steps and a well-considered pace can get you places.  Rushing could likely just end up with you being frustrated, which would be a shame.  I look forward to seeing more of your efforts.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 02:39:58 PM »
National Spittoon!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:24:26 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2017, 06:18:49 AM »
New design. The scan is a little bright, it actually makes the bowl practically disappear since it's pink on pink. But, here's a parody of
Crazy Cow cereal.

Edited photo to kinda help see the bowl detail.
Mark

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2017, 06:30:56 AM »
I like that one a lot!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2017, 06:34:30 AM »
Very good Mark. I like this one alot.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »
Thanks all! I've been starting to use watercolors.
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:22 AM »
My scanner isn't working so...
Creep!

Mark

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
My scanner isn't working so...
Creep!

Your art is starting to creep on me. Keep at it, someday they may invite you to do sketches for the brand. Hell, your art is better than some of the crap sketches out there by the pros.

Jim

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 02:21:37 AM »
Your art is starting to creep on me. Keep at it, someday they may invite you to do sketches for the brand. Hell, your art is better than some of the crap sketches out there by the pros.

Jim

Thanks! I'm trying to think of what I should do next.
Mark

anything