Author Topic: NationalSpittoon's Wacky Concepts  (Read 700 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

NationalSpittoon's Wacky Concepts
« on: August 25, 2017, 02:56:32 AM »
You may recognize this kind of thread from Baked Bears, well, it's the exact same thing except I'm sharing some that I already sketched up. It would be very nice if some of the gags were good enough to be painted by an artist better than myself and be put to use. Keep in mind that I am not a Jay Lynch and perfect with art, feel free to criticize my work on here. I like to try and improve even if I'm not actually making a set as was tried before. Without further ado,

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:30:31 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

CONCEPT GROUP ONE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:22:14 AM »
CONCEPT GROUP ONE

(Click on picture for zoom)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STINKIES:

10 Individually Wrapped
Bloats
Stinkies Cake
Golden Grunge Cake - Creamed Filling
(Character is now Stinky Kid)

TWINKIES:

10 Individually Wrapped
Hostess
Twinkies Cake
Golden Sponge Cake - Creamed Filling
(Character originally Twinkie the Kid)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUILT RAZORS:

Guilt
Razor
So Sharp It's Guilty
10 Cartridges when case dismissed

GILLETTE RAZORS:

Gillette
Sensor
Comfort Blades
10 Cartridges

HEARSE BAR:

Hearse
English Coffin
Real Milk Chokelate
Death Bar

HEATH BAR:

Heath
English Toffee
Real Milk Chocolate
Double Bar

BAR KEEPER'S FIEND:

Bar Keepers Fiend
Since 0
Creates rust
Monster & Polish
NET. WT. 48 LBS.

BAR KEEPER'S FRIEND:

Bar Keeper's Friend
Since 1882
Removes rust!
Cleanser & Polish
NET. WT. 12 OZ.

NEWTPORT:

Newtport
20 Class Amphibian
Filter Slamanders
King Size
Menthol

NEWPORT:

Newport
20 Class A
Filter Cigarettes
King Size
Menthol

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:45:40 PM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

Re: NationalSpittoon's Wacky Concepts
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
Nice work, Spittoon.  It's always nice to see creativity in blossom.

I like how you paired the original titles, taglines, etc. directly below the parodies for ease of comparison.  For the same reason, it might also be helpful to include the respective sketches side-by-side with these (to save on clicking and scrolling back and forth between the two separate "Group 1" posts.)  For example, include the "Newtport" sketch along with the original "Newport" and "Newtport" descriptions, like so:

NEWTPORT:

Newtport
20 Class Amphibian
Filter Slamanders
King Size
Menthol

NEWPORT:

Newport
20 Class A
Filter Cigarettes
King Size
Menthol

This way everything is laid out on the same table and can be viewed (almost) simultaneously and more easily.  (Just a suggestion.)

And speaking of "Newtport," this is one of my favorites.  Mind, this is just me, but personally I would add something "extra" to the salamander - in addition to its curved shape emulating the logo curve (or swash) featured on the original box - to give it even more of a "punch."  A small cigarette dangling from his lips, perhaps,  trailing tendrils of smoke, or possibly having the end of its tail morph into a lit cigarette end and long ash?  (Again, just a suggestion.)

Just out of curiosity, which one is your favorite?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
Nice work, Spittoon.  It's always nice to see creativity in blossom.

I like how you paired the original titles, taglines, etc. directly below the parodies for ease of comparison.  For the same reason, it might also be helpful to include the respective sketches side-by-side with these (to save on clicking and scrolling back and forth between the two separate "Group 1" posts.)  For example, include the "Newtport" sketch along with the original "Newport" and "Newtport" descriptions, like so:

NEWTPORT:

Newtport
20 Class Amphibian
Filter Slamanders
King Size
Menthol

NEWPORT:

Newport
20 Class A
Filter Cigarettes
King Size
Menthol

This way everything is laid out on the same table and can be viewed (almost) simultaneously and more easily.  (Just a suggestion.)

And speaking of "Newtport," this is one of my favorites.  Mind, this is just me, but personally I would add something "extra" to the salamander - in addition to its curved shape emulating the logo curve (or swash) featured on the original box - to give it even more of a "punch."  A small cigarette dangling from his lips, perhaps,  trailing tendrils of smoke, or possibly having the end of its tail morph into a lit cigarette end and long ash?  (Again, just a suggestion.)

Just out of curiosity, which one is your favorite?

Thank you! At one point in time I was trying to make a parody set but I never really did so.. might be worth it to go back and get some of the better gags and re-sketch them. I will move the sketches to the second post for ease of access. Not really sure which of them I find to be the best, probably Guilt because I find it to be the most clever of all them. (10 when case dismissed.. etc.)
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
Thank you! At one point in time I was trying to make a parody set but I never really did so.. might be worth it to go back and get some of the better gags and re-sketch them. I will move the sketches to the second post for ease of access. Not really sure which of them I find to be the best, probably Guilt because I find it to be the most clever of all them. (10 when case dismissed.. etc.)

I hear what you're saying.  Not being a painter, per se, someday, too, I would like to make a small parody set, and, like you, hope during the meantime that somebody might take an interest in some of my suggestions.  Whatever the eventual outcome, though, it's still fun to create and share ideas.  Plus, it's an outlet for those times when an idea takes it upon itself to establish residency in your head - and won't go away until it chews and gnaws its way out.

You should definitely dig up some of your old material and post it - for your sake and ours.  I'd be interested in seeing it, as I'm sure would others.

Also, the more I mull over and digest it, "Guilt" is rather good.  It's clever and intellectual.  Perhaps the razor's handle could be the handle of a judge's gavel?  for those "very close shaves with the law"?  (Sorry, I'm getting carried away, now.  The parody set me off.  If I am encroaching, just tell me to "piss off" and I'll understand.) At any rate, I look forward to reading more of your thread in the future!

Rob (BB)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:23:05 AM »
I hear what you're saying.  Not being a painter, per se, someday, too, I would like to make a small parody set, and, like you, hope during the meantime that somebody might take an interest in some of my suggestions.  Whatever the eventual outcome, though, it's still fun to create and share ideas.  Plus, it's an outlet for those times when an idea takes it upon itself to establish residency in your head - and won't go away until it chews and gnaws its way out.

You should definitely dig up some of your old material and post it - for your sake and ours.  I'd be interested in seeing it, as I'm sure would others.

Also, the more I mull over and digest it, "Guilt" is rather good.  It's clever and intellectual.  Perhaps the razor's handle could be the handle of a judge's gavel?  for those "very close shaves with the law"?  (Sorry, I'm getting carried away, now.  The parody set me off.  If I am encroaching, just tell me to "piss off" and I'll understand.) At any rate, I look forward to reading more of your thread in the future!

Rob (BB)

Yep that is why I like to share my ideas with the forum, with there being extremely talented artists here.

The "Old Material" were all indeed parodies but I never actually looked at the products so the packaging is inaccurate. Hearse and Guilt are two that I re-sketched from those old sets.

Also, changing the razor to a gavel would be a great idea. The tagline "For those with close shaves with the law" could be right under the Razor line. Also, feel free to keep on discussing stuff with parodies as I will probably do in the future with your's.. That's what makes it fun and makes better ideas to make the best parody card as possible.
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
Also, feel free to keep on discussing stuff with parodies as I will probably do in the future with your's.. That's what makes it fun and makes better ideas to make the best parody card as possible.

Sounds good!  Let's stay in touch.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 02:39:58 PM »
You both have great ideas and funny concepts!  I always enjoy seeing what you come up with, keep it up!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
You both have great ideas and funny concepts!  I always enjoy seeing what you come up with, keep it up!

Thanks! I will definitely try to come up with more ideas along with sketching some of my older ones that I came up with.
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

CONCEPT GROUP TWO
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:30:12 AM »
Before my 8th grade year starts tomorrow and I will be less active, I will post a couple more sketches. The two colored ones are older and the two B&W ones are new versions of old ideas. Will post the original ones later of those 2. Also, Bang vs. Tang was originally supposed to be Dang, the real name of the other Bang. Small world...

CONCEPT GROUP TWO:

(Click on pictures for zoom.)
BANG! ROOT BEER:

The Original Bang!
That's bad!
Butterbotch Boom Beer
Caffeine Spree
12. Blow Oz. (355 ML)

DANG! ROOT BEER:

The Original Dang!
That's Good!
Butterscotch Root Beer
Caffeine Free, Gluten Free
12 Fl. Oz. (355 ML)

MOLD DETERGENT:

Mold
No - Fabric
With improved spreading action
Ruins even tough - to - ruin modern fabrics

BOLD DETERGENT:

Bold
All - Fabric
With improved sudsing action
Cleans even tough - to - clean modern fabrics

BANG DRINK:

Unnatural Tasting
Bang Scam
Instant breakfast drink
Makes 1 scorch
More explosions 'T' and 'T'
NET. TIME. T-27 SECS.

TANG DRINK:

Natural Tasting
Tang Brand
Instant breakfast drink
Makes 6 Quarts
More vitamins C and A
NET. WT. 27 OZ. (1 LB. 11 OZ.)

SUGAR GIN MIX:

Sugar Gin
"Alcohol Free" Sweetener
100 Proof
Sweet Taste... Bitter Price

SUGAR TWIN MIX:

Sugar Twin
Calorie Free Sweetener
100 Packets
Sweet Taste... Sweeter Price

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:45:18 PM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
Nice job, Spittoon.

I'm always one for small details, and I like the little "fizz bubbles" bursting around the head of the drunk in "Sugar Gin."  Maybe change "Alcohol Free" to "Alcohol Spree?"  Might tie in nicer with the other booze references.

I especially like "Bang!" Root Beer, though.  I don't believe this product was ever parodied.  (Oddly enough, I wasn't even aware of the existence of this root beer until last year when I was in Illinois shopping in Rural King.  Really good root beer!  Never really see it around much here in New Jersey.  On another note, I discovered the existence of a store called "Rocket Fizz" which seems to feature every available flavor of soda under the sun.  Mean to check I out when start getting paid again.)

Possible suggestion for "Bang!"  Have an upright stick of dynamite inside the bottle with a lit fuse protruding from the top?

You're a teacher, too?  Well, good luck tomorrow!  My school year doesn't begin for another week and a half.  And "less active" is one way of phrasing it.  I usually tend to think of the school year as a roller coaster ride from which there is no stopping or getting off!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
Nice job, Spittoon.

I'm always one for small details, and I like the little "fizz bubbles" bursting around the head of the drunk in "Sugar Gin."  Maybe change "Alcohol Free" to "Alcohol Spree?"  Might tie in nicer with the other booze references.

I especially like "Bang!" Root Beer, though.  I don't believe this product was ever parodied.  (Oddly enough, I wasn't even aware of the existence of this root beer until last year when I was in Illinois shopping in Rural King.  Really good root beer!  Never really see it around much here in New Jersey.  On another note, I discovered the existence of a store called "Rocket Fizz" which seems to feature every available flavor of soda under the sun.  Mean to check I out when start getting paid again.)

Possible suggestion for "Bang!"  Have an upright stick of dynamite inside the bottle with a lit fuse protruding from the top?

You're a teacher, too?  Well, good luck tomorrow!  My school year doesn't begin for another week and a half.  And "less active" is one way of phrasing it.  I usually tend to think of the school year as a roller coaster ride from which there is no stopping or getting off!

Dang Root Beer is really good, especially the Butterscotch kind. I always get it at my local Ace Hardware.. They have a wall of odd sodas there for whatever reason. (I live in PA.)

That would be a good idea for Bang! as well.

I hope I didn't confuse you when I said I'm starting school tomorrow, I am actually a student. I was sure everyone knew that by now.  :] My problem is that I am a big worrier of grades and am almost always a straight A student, not to toot my own horn, but that's how it ends up.. And I am also a grade ahead in math class which is stupid. Wish I would've never passed the test for that when I was in 5th grade. Sorry for the confusion.. but thanks for the good luck anyways.

Actually just thought of this, guess I was a "teacher" at one point. I was a peer tutor for a 1st grader when I was in 4th grade. THANK THE LORD I WILL NOT BE A TEACHER. That must have been the worst experience of my life.
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
Being a gifted and talented teacher, I taught someone similar two years ago.  A grade ahead in math.  Very bright young man.  He's in a different building now, though I still see him often as he is a member in my after school rock band.  Plays piano, drums, guitar, etc..  All rather exceptionally well, too.  As I am but a mediocre guitarist, it kind of takes me aback when he comes in, picks up a guitar, and immediately starts playing, say, Nirvana - perfectly.

You have to not only accept the math challenges, but embrace them.  Boredom and stagnation only wait on the flip side of the coin.  (At the moment, you may believe that you regret doing well on that 5th grade test, however you would regret it far more if you didn't.)

And, yeah, at one point I would have never imagined that I would be a teacher.  Furthest thing from my mind.  Many are the memories of sitting outside of the principal's office.  Nothing like inspiring a bunch of young children, though.  There's an honesty and innocence and hopefulness that one just doesn't find elsewhere.  Plus, you get the summers off!

Again, best of luck tomorrow!

Partial secret of being a good teacher:  No matter who the person, you have to lay any preconceptions and other outside influences aside.  You have to get to genuinely and sincerely know the person, get inside them, see them for who they are, rather than what you think they are.  Just words of advice from one teacher to a future teacher.  (!!!)   >(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:08:20 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Being a gifted and talented teacher, I taught someone similar two years ago.  A grade ahead in math.  Very bright young man.  He's in a different building now, though I still see him often as he is a member in my after school rock band.  Plays piano, drums, guitar, etc..  All rather exceptionally well, too.  As I am but a mediocre guitarist, it kind of takes me aback when he comes in, picks up a guitar, and immediately starts playing, say, Nirvana - perfectly.

You have to not only accept the math challenges, but embrace them.  Boredom and stagnation only wait on the flip side of the coin.  (At the moment, you may believe that you regret doing well on that 5th grade test, however you would regret it far more if you didn't.)

And, yeah, at one point I would have never imagined that I would be a teacher.  Furthest thing from my mind.  Many are the memories of sitting outside of the principal's office.  Nothing like inspiring a bunch of young children, though.  There's an honesty and innocence and hopefulness that one just doesn't find elsewhere.  Plus, you get the summers off!

Again, best of luck tomorrow!

Partial secret of being a good teacher:  No matter who the person, you have to lay any preconceptions and other outside influences aside.  You have to get to genuinely and sincerely know the person, get inside them, see them for who they are, rather than what you think they are.  Just words of advice from one teacher to a future teacher.  (!!!)   >(

I am also big into rock and metal, and play a tiny bit of guitar and mainly drums. Just don't have a band or anything. My father is a great guitar player and used to be in metal bands. He never really pursued it though because of the people who just want to do drugs in the bathroom, etc... No need to get into that. My problem is that I forgot everything in Algebra 1 that I need to know for Geometry. Thanks for the good luck though.

I hate this school year especially though because of the way my schedule is. I have to go from the music room in the respective marking period to the farthest end for Earth Science, then from there to the lunch room right next to the music room, then to History which is only a couple rooms down from the Science room. Pretty annoying. I'll get over it.
Mark

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »

I hate this school year especially though because of the way my schedule is. I have to go from the music room in the respective marking period to the farthest end for Earth Science, then from there to the lunch room right next to the music room, then to History which is only a couple rooms down from the Science room. Pretty annoying. I'll get over it.

My high school had three floors, with four staircases (one in each corner), two of which were "up" and two of which were "down."  It seemed that my locker assignment and classes were always selected to make sure I would have to run.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »
My high school had three floors, with four staircases (one in each corner), two of which were "up" and two of which were "down."  It seemed that my locker assignment and classes were always selected to make sure I would have to run.

Yikes... The high school I plan to go to is a Vocational Tech school where I am either going for (most likely) drafting or commercial arts. That school has two floors and the hallways are small. My elementary school also had 2 floors but there's no rush for obvious reasons. The junior high only has one floor, but it's a pretty long school. Not sure where my locker is this year, but last year I got lucky with placement and I hope I do this year as well.. I use it as little as possible but it's not possible to go without it.
Mark

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »
Yikes... The high school I plan to go to is a Vocational Tech school where I am either going for (most likely) drafting or commercial arts. That school has two floors and the hallways are small. My elementary school also had 2 floors but there's no rush for obvious reasons. The junior high only has one floor, but it's a pretty long school. Not sure where my locker is this year, but last year I got lucky with placement and I hope I do this year as well.. I use it as little as possible but it's not possible to go without it.

I took two years of technical drawing in high school (which wasn't offered before junior year).  It was one of my favorite classes!  Of course, now it would be CAD, instead of drafting tables, T-squares, and vellum.

Offline NationalSpittoon

STINKIES: FINISHED CONCEPT
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
No new concepts to post about, but Stinkies is now in full color!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:46:00 PM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »
Thanks for posting, NS.  Just think, someday in the future you very well might be one of the artists working on the ANS37 3D holographic set!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
No new concepts to post about, but Stinkies is now in full color!

I actually love the character on this!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
Thanks for posting, NS.  Just think, someday in the future you very well might be one of the artists working on the ANS37 3D holographic set!
I actually love the character on this!

Thanks!! Not completely sure about that 3D holographic set though.  :o Maybe the ANS63 Gold SuperAtomic Lenticular blue-red ludlow back set?
Mark

Offline NationalSpittoon

SUGAR GIN: FINISHED CONCEPT
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
TWO SKETCHES..

Finished Sugar Gin:

A sketch of Choke Wagon, please give some advice! (I have made the other eye and other parts of Choke darker since the picture..)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:59:17 AM by NationalSpittoon »
Mark

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
The characters are exactly like wacky characters should be. Honestly I like these better than the majority of ANS wackys.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
The characters are exactly like wacky characters should be. Honestly I like these better than the majority of ANS wackys.

Thanks! I really don't want to toot my own horn in some way but I am making these for that reason. They aren't "poop" humor or "vomit" humor, but good ol' wording gags that are plain humor. I mean this year there haven't been real products used (Except OLDS 6 in Oct.), last year the same and WITH baseball teams? What's the point? You attract baseball fans and get rid of Wacky fans.. Well basically after ANS 7 it all went downhill... That's why I'm really hoping for OLDS6 to be a good, diecut, tan back, maybe even Wax Pack set. Would be nice. Didn't Slamjim say the set would be just sold as a set though? Eh.
Mark

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
The problem was, as far as I could tell, baseball card collectors had little interest in MLB wackys.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »
If there was to be interest I would buy cardstock and try to make some copies. (Or I'll make some for myself..  :^) )
Mark