Author Topic: GPK - We Hate the 80's  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
GPK - We Hate the 80's
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »
new GPK set coming in January 2018, with a familiar looking style of subset cards

It's a Collector box only chase card, so will be a little tougher to obtain

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:28:41 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: GPK - We Hate the 80's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
This may sound stupid but they have the nerve to say, and On Quote"'80s Wax Pack Parodies-New Wacky Packages-styled classic Topps wrap parodies" BUT THEY WON'T PUT OUT A SET FOR WACKY PACKAGES THAT ACTUALLY PARODIES PRODUCTS. (Not even for the 50th ann. of these "Wacky Packages", mind you.)

Oh, let me guess.. The WP set that actually parodied things was... wait for it...

CANCELLED!!!!!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
This may sound stupid but they have the nerve to say, and On Quote"'80s Wax Pack Parodies-New Wacky Packages-styled classic Topps wrap parodies" BUT THEY WON'T PUT OUT A SET FOR WACKY PACKAGES THAT ACTUALLY PARODIES PRODUCTS. (Not even for the 50th ann. of these "Wacky Packages", mind you.)

Oh, let me guess.. The WP set that actually parodied things was... wait for it...

CANCELLED!!!!!

You are Correct Sir - its starting to catch-onnnnnnn :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline dth1971

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
A Wacky Packages/GPK Mash up?

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
A Wacky Packages/GPK Mash up?
not the first time it's happened

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:28:52 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
You're right, Patrick.  This set, though, is somewhat unique and stands out.  The cards have a definite Wacky feel to them.  It's a good mix.  A subset worth collecting. 

However, the teaser cards in the ad you posted hardly have a Wacky feel to them at all.  In fact, if I may be frank, they have the same look - and other problems - about them, that had me groaning two months ago with a lot of the PODs.  I see titles, but where is the actual product as National Spittoon pointed out?  And the "F Team" character looks like it came from the art school of Nickelodeon.  Where is the richness in the painting, the blend of color, light, and shadow?  Compare Mr. T to the robot just to his right, and the difference is, well, more than drastic. 

I also noticed the "F Team" black border.  Both thin and thick?  Really?  Again, REALLY???  What gives?  If this is a way of appeasing us, sorry, Topps, but this is the worst one yet.

At the risk of beating a dead horse again, this so-called "marriage" - or to be more realistic, financial bed partnering - between GPK and WP is getting stale and old.  The only thing we seem to be getting out it are the stained, soiled sheets.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:34:39 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
I notice that cheap style illustration is now passing on to the GPK line. Sorry to see that. :sad:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »

CANCELLED!!!!!

Old School 6 comes out in October which is all product parodies and the new WP set which we are starting this week is product parodies. No generic products like the last set.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
I notice that cheap style illustration is now passing on to the GPK line. Sorry to see that. :sad:

Brent did all the GPk cards shown and Jungwha did all the wrappers. No idea why they didn't ask me, Neil or Smokin Joe to do them as we only did a small amount for the base set. Done them before...

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
However, the teaser cards in the ad you posted hardly have a Wacky feel to them at all.  In fact, if I may be frank, they have the same look - and other problems - about them, that had me groaning two months ago with a lot of the PODs.  I see titles, but where is the actual product as National Spittoon pointed out?   
A couple of those wrapper images are from the exact same artist that you were groaning about with the PoD's, which is why their 'look' should be veery familiar to you. She's done a LOT of work on both Wacky's and GPK's over the past several years. LOTS.

Not sure what you mean by no actual product? those are all spoofing real topps wax packs from the 80's:  A-Team, E.T., Masters of the Universe. Spittoon was pointing out the absurdity of how Wacky's could *not* spoof real stuff for the 50th anniversary, which is the whole point of Wacky's, while here comes a GPK set doing exactly what we couldn't get. Good thing we still had the OLDS chase set with that one. And the good news that real products are coming back for the next Wacky set.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Pat.

Jumped the gun when I first noticed the artwork.  Boom!  Pow!  Wham!  Bad flashbacks and all that.

There were some days while viewing the latest PoD's, that I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at.  A product parody?  An editorial cartoon?  Something else entirely?  One just never knew.  Very crazy times, in retrospect.  Oftentimes very confusing.  Even nightmarish, in a sense.  You know, like WTF?  (Think about it.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard.)  Gotta force myself to learn to readjust and shake those old feelings, crawl out of a funk, as it were.

The "cartoon" artwork now makes more sense.  Upon closer examination, I now see that the subset chase cards are wax pack parodies (though they are not rendered as actual packages - no highlighted edges or crinkly corners.)  And National Spittoon has a very valid point.

And, yes, that is GREAT news that real products are coming back.  Some things, at least, are beginning to change for the better.  Let's hope that the artwork also follows high standards.  Sadly, even though many titles of the Anniversary set were based on actual products, I found myself delegating many to the "not so good" pile based simply upon the artwork.  (The cereals, for example.)  Also can't wait for Dave's OS6, Neil's Halloween Pack O' Fun, Joe's Parotees, and George's Galactic Groceries.  (Having not heard from George since May, I believe, let's hope that things are not too rough in his world.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:48:51 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
Old School 6 comes out in October which is all product parodies and the new WP set which we are starting this week is product parodies. No generic products like the last set.

Is Old School 6 going to be die-cut?

anything