Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123490 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 02, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
you and me both,  finding good condition wacky ads is really hard.

You have a fine collection of Ads!  I wish you'd go and get yourself a Good and Empty 7 already so I can get your 6  :] :]

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #526 on: October 03, 2021, 05:12:08 AM »
You have a fine collection of Ads!  I wish you'd go and get yourself a Good and Empty 7 already so I can get your 6  :] :]
trust me I have been actively looking, I just can't find upgrades

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #527 on: October 03, 2021, 05:41:31 AM »
trust me I have been actively looking, I just can't find upgrades

You're in good company. I've tried to find upgrades for my Series 5 PSA 7's for this entire year, or even longer for some.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: October 03, 2021, 06:22:27 AM »
You're in good company. I've tried to find upgrades for my Series 5 PSA 7's for this entire year, or even longer for some.

Start on Series 4, 6, 7 or 8 and I can start you off really well!!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #529 on: October 03, 2021, 06:28:57 AM »
Start on Series 4, 6, 7 or 8 and I can start you off really well!!

Lately, I've just been buying various titles from various series. I have thought about trying to go for specific series, but in high grade, I only see myself getting frustrated with some of the titles.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #530 on: October 03, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
you found a nice series 8 PSA 10, if I would of seen that I would have purchased it.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #531 on: October 03, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
There is a PSA 7 Ratz on ebay right now, starting bid $7,500…

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #532 on: October 03, 2021, 03:01:50 PM »
you found a nice series 8 PSA 10, if I would of seen that I would have purchased it.

Well, yes, but that's besides the point.

Here: I'll trade it to you for your National Spittoon PSA 9.  :]

There is a PSA 7 Ratz on ebay right now, starting bid $7,500…

Yes, this person already posted a Ratz 8 and two different Cracked Animals...

The price is on the high end of what I would expect this to sell for.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #533 on: October 03, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »
It caught my eye because the seller is in Iowa….

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #534 on: October 10, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »
If you've ever wondered what a 1st Series Lavirus PSA 10 looks like, you can see one in Eric's registry now.

I assume it must be the new official image thing. I am not quite sure how that works, but I think there is one for my Moron Salt.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #535 on: October 10, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »
If you've ever wondered what a 1st Series Lavirus PSA 10 looks like, you can see one in Eric's registry now.

I assume it must be the new official image thing. I am not quite sure how that works, but I think there is one for my Moron Salt.

How can you see it when his set is not visible, unless you happen to know the cert number?

And why is there an official image of it when it was not recently graded, was it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 01:43:33 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #536 on: October 10, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
How can you see it when his set is not visible, unless you happen to know the cert number?

And why is there an official image of it when it was not recently graded, was it?

His 1-16 master set is visible.

I can’t answer as to why the official image is there or not.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #537 on: October 16, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »
Not too big, but here's a title that I got recently:

I should have another 2nd Series title coming in next week...

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #538 on: October 16, 2021, 10:25:36 AM »
Thats a good looking Wacky.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #539 on: October 16, 2021, 04:43:01 PM »
Not too big, but here's a title that I got recently:

I should have another 2nd Series title coming in next week...

Nice! These are the series that thrill me, lol.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #540 on: October 17, 2021, 07:31:51 AM »
It is nice. I appreciate my titles that are square, and not diamond cut. It's a shame this one doesn't have better corners.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #541 on: October 23, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »
Post may not be necessary, but here's another recent acquisition:

Toned unfortunately, but still not the ugliest I have seen. Good enough for me!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #542 on: October 23, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »
I don't mind the toning of wackys.  They were not made to last the test of time and the even browning show its age.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2021, 01:46:56 AM »
It definitely bothers me, but I usually still buy them within reason if some toning is present. If it looks like I could’ve just dug it up, then I won’t buy it.

Generally, cutting errors are more of a reason to avoid but I definitely don’t like toning to say the least.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: October 24, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
Here are two recent upgrades for my Series 13:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #545 on: October 25, 2021, 06:19:06 AM »
Here are two recent upgrades for my Series 13:

Those are nice! Is it true it takes a year to get something graded from PSA after you ship it to them?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: October 25, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
Those are nice! Is it true it takes a year to get something graded from PSA after you ship it to them?

Thanks!  Right now I hear that it does seem to be taking about a year to get something back from PSA. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #547 on: October 25, 2021, 11:13:13 AM »
Drainola is a very hard card to get centered.  There are no 10's.  PSA 9 is currently the highest grade, great job on upgrading the collection.

Offline drono

« Reply #548 on: October 25, 2021, 02:30:21 PM »
It definitely bothers me, but I usually still buy them within reason if some toning is present.

That's probably what turns me off the most about PSA grading.  A sticker can get a 9 when it shows toning from aging, while one that is fresh out of the pack and glossy would be graded lower because it's off center 25-75.  To me, fresh out of the pack is fresh out of the pack and toning and soft corners show aging and handling.  I know PSA has to establish some sort of comparison to differentiate grades, but off center just doesn't bother me - especially with Wacky Packages because I think centering is subjective on a lot of them.

Drainola is a very hard card to get centered.

I know we have uncut sheets to disprove it, but just suppose that Drainola was lined up off center on the sheet, so one that is 50-50 centered would really be the one that's "off center." 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #549 on: October 25, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »
That's probably what turns me off the most about PSA grading.  A sticker can get a 9 when it shows toning from aging, while one that is fresh out of the pack and glossy would be graded lower because it's off center 25-75.  To me, fresh out of the pack is fresh out of the pack and toning and soft corners show aging and handling.  I know PSA has to establish some sort of comparison to differentiate grades, but off center just doesn't bother me - especially with Wacky Packages because I think centering is subjective on a lot of them.

I know we have uncut sheets to disprove it, but just suppose that Drainola was lined up off center on the sheet, so one that is 50-50 centered would really be the one that's "off center."

Yes, I still think that PSA should penalize for toning. But, they haven’t, don’t, and won’t. There’s many other things they don’t do that they should as well…

Ironically, I also brought up a similar issue pertaining to your Drainola scenario regarding 8-Lives years ago. The reality is that centering doesn’t really change regardless of the position on the sheet. This also doesn’t change the fact that many frustrating anomalies exist in the original series, but life goes on.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #550 on: October 25, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »

Good points, a circulated coin would never grade as high as any "proof coin"(ie right out of the pack) but PSA has created this racket and is rolling in the money because of it.  Condition grading should be measuring what happened to the item since its printing, aging, toning, fingerprints, smudges, creasing etc....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #551 on: October 25, 2021, 09:50:30 PM »

interesting scenario, It just shows up off center most of the times in the wild. Sort of Like Clammy.  You need to get one that has a portion of another sticker just to get a perfectly centered one.  shrug of the shoulder.  I will stand behind the toning as an effect of the cheap paper that was used for wackys.  IT IS going to tone, not gonna stop it, Most will tone.  However according to standards set by the industry, that is not a reason to knock down the grade, centering, edges , wear, roller marks, stains,ext all all reasons for marking down the grade.  I did not make the standards, I just play within the parameters. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #552 on: October 25, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »
Good points, a circulated coin would never grade as high as any "proof coin"(ie right out of the pack) but PSA has created this racket and is rolling in the money because of it.  Condition grading should be measuring what happened to the item since its printing, aging, toning, fingerprints, smudges, creasing etc....
I so wish this was the case, I would open up all product and send them in then.  Seriously I like what you are saying, however if you had (2) Ratz Crackers both pack fresh and both equal grade.  IF one is (OC) and one is centered.  Are you going to pay the same exact money for the (OC) one?  Even using the coin analogy on graded coins they have a company that will attach a sticker to the casing if it exceeds the average condition for the grade on the outside of the holder.  (CAC) is the name of said company. Right now I am so disappointed in PSA as I feel that all of us who enjoy registry collecting are getting hosed for extra money.  So much so I have to look at if it will be viable to continue to send to PSA to get cards graded. 20 dollars is still to steep to send in base wackys, unless you are really good at grading and can get at lease a none with your submission.  I can not say what direction PSA grading will go, but I do hope that they realize it was not for money do I submit all my cards, but to have my registry set and to collect wackys by getting one better.  I must have over 5 full 1-16 sets.  It gets boring collecting another set of wackys.  But getting a grade higher on my sets as I collect 1-16 That is where the thrill of the chase is.  TO find that PSA 10 and to add it to your collection that is what made this fun and kept wackys going for me.  Everyone does it they upgrade their set.  I just do it within the parameters of a set collecting guideline.  I know it is not for everyone, I just know it is for me.  (it also helps when I have ungraded cards to tell what the grade is.  Since I sell a lot at shows I want people to know the truly are getting an ex/nrmt card and not calling it Mint.)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #553 on: October 26, 2021, 01:32:29 AM »
Ironically, I believe that I read that they are removing qualifiers. The grade will simply drop if the issue is found instead of the ugly (OC) or (MC) on the case. I think that’s great!

It also seems that they are toughening on their grading, which is also good - but the inconsistency isn’t.

I’m in the boat with you, Joe. My enthusiasm for Wackys is minimal anymore, but picking up higher grade stuff is enjoyable. Especially when you can find a known toughie in high grade, it’ll light you up like Christmas. Or maybe that’s just me. And, again, the biggest highlight is the registry as well as the leaderboards that show everyone’s sets.

Offline drono

« Reply #554 on: October 26, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »
I so wish this was the case, I would open up all product and send them in then.  Seriously I like what you are saying, however if you had (2) Ratz Crackers both pack fresh and both equal grade.  IF one is (OC) and one is centered.  Are you going to pay the same exact money for the (OC) one? 

If there was no grading and no one was focused on centering, then yes.  I think it has become too much of a focus.  When I bought my Ratz many years ago, I had a choice of one that was almost perfect except the centering was around 90/10 and one that had a minor popped perf.  I chose the 90/10 since the printer cut it that way vs. the owner playing with it.

I'm curious, does PSA base their grading on a "flaw percentage" like TransUnion on credit reports (Payment History 40%, Credit Usage 23%, Account Mix 11%, Credit Age 21%, Inquiries 5%)?  If so, I'd be curious how much centering is a factor.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #555 on: October 26, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »
Centering is a gateway. The grade cannot be 10 unless the centering is at least 55/45. The grade cannot be 9 unless it is at least 60/40, etc. Obviously centering within those guidelines is not the only factor, but an otherwise perfect card with 90/10 centering will get a PSA 4.

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #556 on: October 26, 2021, 08:57:13 AM »
Thanks!  Right now I hear that it does seem to be taking about a year to get something back from PSA. 
   I have been waiting for 16 months so far for my lot of 114 cards/stickers some are re slabs but I still have yet to hear they are grading them as of now. I was able to get them in just before the price increase.

Matt.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #557 on: October 26, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
I so wish this was the case, I would open up all product and send them in then.  Seriously I like what you are saying, however if you had (2) Ratz Crackers both pack fresh and both equal grade.  IF one is (OC) and one is centered.  Are you going to pay the same exact money for the (OC) one?  Even using the coin analogy on graded coins they have a company that will attach a sticker to the casing if it exceeds the average condition for the grade on the outside of the holder.  (CAC) is the name of said company. Right now I am so disappointed in PSA as I feel that all of us who enjoy registry collecting are getting hosed for extra money.  So much so I have to look at if it will be viable to continue to send to PSA to get cards graded. 20 dollars is still to steep to send in base wackys, unless you are really good at grading and can get at lease a none with your submission.  I can not say what direction PSA grading will go, but I do hope that they realize it was not for money do I submit all my cards, but to have my registry set and to collect wackys by getting one better.  I must have over 5 full 1-16 sets.  It gets boring collecting another set of wackys.  But getting a grade higher on my sets as I collect 1-16 That is where the thrill of the chase is.  TO find that PSA 10 and to add it to your collection that is what made this fun and kept wackys going for me.  Everyone does it they upgrade their set.  I just do it within the parameters of a set collecting guideline.  I know it is not for everyone, I just know it is for me.  (it also helps when I have ungraded cards to tell what the grade is.  Since I sell a lot at shows I want people to know the truly are getting an ex/nrmt card and not calling it Mint.)
We are discussing this on that vintage facebook page you invited me, we are discussing if grading should be two grades, manufacturing defect and post manufacturing defect.  Manufacturing defects with coins INCREASE the value since clearly there are far fewer that get out the door.  If Topps made an effort to grade miscuts and fewer made it out the door, would they be worth MORE like a coin?  I am with you, I certainly would choose centered over off centered with everything else being equal but PSA set up this racket and now they can just change the racket since they really had no standards and make people collect all over again, their goal is to make money, it is not to set standards.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #558 on: October 26, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »
   I have been waiting for 16 months so far for my lot of 114 cards/stickers some are re slabs but I still have yet to hear they are grading them as of now. I was able to get them in just before the price increase.

Matt.
I sent a batch of 132 in last august.  they have been in the grading stage now for 2 months I am going on 15 months.  I dont expect them until January.  I hope I am wrong

Offline bandaches

« Reply #559 on: October 26, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
Centering is a gateway. The grade cannot be 10 unless the centering is at least 55/45. The grade cannot be 9 unless it is at least 60/40, etc. Obviously centering within those guidelines is not the only factor, but an otherwise perfect card with 90/10 centering will get a PSA 4.
Think about how crazy that is!  A fresh out of the pack(proof or uncirculated), no finger prints, perfect card with 90/10 centering would be a PSA4 and a card floating around in circulation with soft corners and perfect centering gets a higher grade.  Sorry that is nutty to me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:56:36 AM by bandaches »