Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123502 times)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
I wish I could get a dark background, but I am not sure how to go about it.

I collect stamps and scan them.  When scanning stamps, it is critical to have a black background to be able to see the perforations.  So I simply use a piece of black poster board that is cut to fit the scanner bed.  Of course with stamps, they lay flat on the scanner bed so I can just lay my black background over them before closing the lid.  With PSA Slabs, you would probably need to figure out a way to attach the black poster board to the lid.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #491 on: September 05, 2021, 05:17:24 AM »
I think the ones that I've gotten so far with my homemade, redneck-ingenuity dark background haven't been bad.

As Dave says, the image quality isn't as great as it could be when posting here. But, here's a couple examples.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #492 on: September 05, 2021, 05:33:22 AM »
1200 DPI is a little extreme. How big are your image files?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #493 on: September 05, 2021, 06:27:24 AM »
1200 DPI is a little extreme. How big are your image files?

They are generally around 3-5 MB.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #494 on: September 05, 2021, 07:44:49 PM »
I collect stamps and scan them.  When scanning stamps, it is critical to have a black background to be able to see the perforations.  So I simply use a piece of black poster board that is cut to fit the scanner bed.  Of course with stamps, they lay flat on the scanner bed so I can just lay my black background over them before closing the lid.  With PSA Slabs, you would probably need to figure out a way to attach the black poster board to the lid.

I've never collected stamps, but I know someone with the most insane collection I've ever seen... hundreds of leather-bound books filling the shelves of a whole room, floor to ceiling.  All uniform, and all filled.  That much ephemera would make me nervous.  Just having Wackys is bad enough when fire season starts up out here. 

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #495 on: September 05, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Those corners are not bent they look like paper loss.
Even worse, how did that get a 7? 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2021, 02:12:44 AM »

I wish I could get a dark background, but I am not sure how to go about it. I also need a good way of rotating the image if I put the card in at an angle slightly.

I bought black foam craft sheets that are the thickness of a PSA slab, and made cutouts of regular card and Wacky Ad slabs in two separate sheets.  I put the card in the cutout, place that on the scanner bed, and then lay an uncut foam sheet over it.  Think I need to make a straighter cutout for the regular size cards.  Here is an example of the results, which looks to me to be an improvement over what I used to get.

The sheets are 6mm thick and 9"x12", which matches the size of my scanner bed.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:58:37 AM by RawGoo »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »
A Ratz PSA 8 showed up on eBay, and I was fully preparing to purge almost my entire raw collection in order to afford it - but someone already bought it evidently. It was taken off eBay.

Last time I tried that in an auction, the seller told me it was unfair.

Fun!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2021, 12:13:51 AM »
A Ratz PSA 8 showed up on eBay, and I was fully preparing to purge almost my entire raw collection in order to afford it - but someone already bought it evidently. It was taken off eBay.

Last time I tried that in an auction, the seller told me it was unfair.

Fun!

That was a nice card.  It was supposed to be a 10 day auction, and then it was sold!  I was looking forward to making a bid myself, and I agree, it stinks when an auction just gets ended like that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 04:31:52 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2021, 04:10:51 AM »
That was a nice card.  I wonder what it went for?  I was looking forward to making a bid myself, and I agree, it stinks when an auction just gets ended like that.

Who was the seller?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #500 on: September 10, 2021, 04:28:54 AM »
Who was the seller?

From the listing, it was someone who collected these in 1967 and took care of them, not a dealer.  Here's the link eBay auction: #185041533908

It actually indicates that someone offered the 10 day auction starting price and got it for that!!  I was prepared to bid a lot higher  :sad:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #501 on: September 10, 2021, 08:51:09 AM »
Does that mean it sold for $3900? Should be worth at least $8-10K, don’t you think?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: September 10, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »
Does that mean it sold for $3900? Should be worth at least $8-10K, don’t you think?

I was prepared to bid that high, yes.  The auction didn't say "or best offer" so I didn't know that was an option.  Very disappointing.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #503 on: September 10, 2021, 11:05:28 AM »
we have lots of detectives here.  if you look at the 1 bid it does give the ebay id that bought it.  I compared it to the ones I know and It didn't match.  maybe someone else can find out

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #504 on: September 10, 2021, 12:51:52 PM »
I also expected it to go for $8-9k, and was ready to bid up in that area.

I asked the seller out of curiosity, and he said he got multiple offers in the five figures area. He couldn’t resist one of them.

I’ve never understood that. The seller likely could have made more if he left it up considering “multiple” people were offering that high (which I don’t think it’s worth to begin with).

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #505 on: September 10, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »
I also expected it to go for $8-9k, and was ready to bid up in that area.

I asked the seller out of curiosity, and he said he got multiple offers in the five figures area. He couldn’t resist one of them.

I’ve never understood that. The seller likely could have made more if he left it up considering “multiple” people were offering that high (which I don’t think it’s worth to begin with).

I asked as well, because I thought it was a 10 day auction, and that there were no offers being taken.  He said that he had so many offers that he added that option (apparently after I put it on "watch" and went to bed).  I agree, it might have gone for more had he left it up for bidding. 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #506 on: September 10, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
I asked as well, because I thought it was a 10 day auction, and that there were no offers being taken.  He said that he had so many offers that he added that option (apparently after I put it on "watch" and went to bed).  I agree, it might have gone for more had he left it up for bidding.

Yes, the alleged “make-an-offer” option was also done after I went to bed. That seems to be a recurring theme with my time on eBay. Everything ends while I’m sleeping, or anything like this.

Perhaps we’ll see a PSA 7 appear here sometime? I looked at the top sets that were public and I don’t think any of them that are active needed 8’s, but I don’t know about Topcat. I assume Eric has the 9.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #507 on: September 10, 2021, 02:47:40 PM »
Yes, the alleged “make-an-offer” option was also done after I went to bed. That seems to be a recurring theme with my time on eBay. Everything ends while I’m sleeping, or anything like this.

Perhaps we’ll see a PSA 7 appear here sometime? I looked at the top sets that were public and I don’t think any of them that are active needed 8’s, but I don’t know about Topcat. I assume Eric has the 9.
Why does the auction show as sold at $3200+ if he sold it privately for near 5 figures?  Shouldn't the auction show as unsold ended early?  Just something seems odd about this whole thing and I could swear we have seen that id sell wackys before long ago.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2021, 04:14:03 PM »
Why does the auction show as sold at $3200+ if he sold it privately for near 5 figures?  Shouldn't the auction show as unsold ended early?  Just something seems odd about this whole thing and I could swear we have seen that id sell wackys before long ago.

I wonder if this price will end up in PSA's value lookup.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #509 on: September 11, 2021, 07:15:56 AM »

Who are you suggesting that this is?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #510 on: September 11, 2021, 07:57:49 AM »
Who are you suggesting that this is?
Like Ragu just stated will this suddenly now become a lynchpen for PSA 8 ratz and does someone want that value to be low for some reason?  The clearly lesser conditioned cracked is priced higher by same seller.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #511 on: September 14, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »
Like Ragu just stated will this suddenly now become a lynchpen for PSA 8 ratz and does someone want that value to be low for some reason?  The clearly lesser conditioned cracked is priced higher by same seller.

I would say no, and yes that is odd (respectively).

But, you still didn’t answer my question.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #512 on: September 14, 2021, 03:46:59 PM »
I would say no, and yes that is odd (respectively).

But, you still didn’t answer my question.
I don't have an answer to your question, I asked does someone want PSA8 ratz to have a low public value as that is the only rationalization to a seller claiming to have near 5 figure offers and then accepting an ebay contract for $3900.  What is your speculation around this.  You think the seller is just an idiot?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #513 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:53 PM »
I don't have an answer to your question, I asked does someone want PSA8 ratz to have a low public value as that is the only rationalization to a seller claiming to have near 5 figure offers and then accepting an ebay contract for $3900.  What is your speculation around this.  You think the seller is just an idiot?

You said that the buyer had an ID that matched a seller. That’s what I was asking about.

I would guess the seller is an idiot no matter what, for stopping the auction. I don’t know why anyone would want to lower prices. Even if someone is attempting to manipulate the market, I don’t see why they wouldn’t heighten the price if anything.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #514 on: September 14, 2021, 08:51:29 PM »
you want a low market when you are buying and want a high market when selling.  If someone wants a lower market because they have a line on more of them, then I could see wanting the price to be low.  (it is though easier just to move your buying time table up).

Offline bandaches

« Reply #515 on: September 15, 2021, 03:21:42 PM »
You said that the buyer had an ID that matched a seller. That’s what I was asking about.

I would guess the seller is an idiot no matter what, for stopping the auction. I don’t know why anyone would want to lower prices. Even if someone is attempting to manipulate the market, I don’t see why they wouldn’t heighten the price if anything.
I never said anything about the buyer id.   I said the seller ID looks familiar

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #516 on: September 15, 2021, 04:31:35 PM »
I never said anything about the buyer id.   I said the seller ID looks familiar

I misunderstood. I don’t think you wrote which person had a recognizable ID, but you said one used to sell Wackys. My apologies.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #517 on: September 15, 2021, 07:17:38 PM »
I misunderstood. I don’t think you wrote which person had a recognizable ID, but you said one used to sell Wackys. My apologies.
You are correct I did a poor job of specifying which I was referring to.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: September 28, 2021, 02:34:04 AM »
I just finished adding the last images to my Die Cut registry.  Next up - Wacky Ads!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #519 on: September 28, 2021, 03:33:34 AM »
I just finished adding the last images to my Die Cut registry.  Next up - Wacky Ads!

Very nice. You've got a very nice die-cut set!

I've also been slowly working on my new scans. I've still got Series 2, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16 to go but none of them are highly populated so it shouldn't take very long.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #520 on: October 02, 2021, 04:53:12 AM »
Does anyone know Chef-Girl-ar-dee on PSA? I thought it was weird how he just kicked off his sets in the last year or so, and now he has all the top ones. I assume he just never got on the registry, or were his sets previously private/unpublished?

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #521 on: October 02, 2021, 06:09:25 AM »
Yikes! I had no idea a single sticker could go for that much. I guess it IS the rarest card in the best condition....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: October 02, 2021, 07:01:07 AM »
Yikes! I had no idea a single sticker could go for that much. I guess it IS the rarest card in the best condition....

What sale are you referring to?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #523 on: October 02, 2021, 07:38:31 AM »
Does anyone know Chef-Girl-ar-dee on PSA? I thought it was weird how he just kicked off his sets in the last year or so, and now he has all the top ones. I assume he just never got on the registry, or were his sets previously private/unpublished?
He has been on for a while, mostly in the higher number sets. He actively looks for sets.  He has some beautiful cards in his sets.  One that I would love to see is his 1/1 kentucky fried fingers.  I am happy for him on his collection, that what the registry is about.  Just wish he'd post pictures.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #524 on: October 02, 2021, 07:40:13 AM »
you and me both,  finding good condition wacky ads is really hard.

anything