Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123394 times)

Offline quas

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2021, 04:03:20 AM »
I commend you, my old friend, on your resolve not to PSA.  If everything in the world got "slabbed", we'd never actually handle anything anymore.  Trading cards aren't so bad as you can still appreciate the full front and back... but comic books don't make any sense to slab unless they're miraculous 10's that you'd never even touch with gloves, as it just reduces them to "covers" rather than books.  Seems to me the only thing worth paying to get authenticated is autographs, but then again, it's still just someone's opinion. 

Can you image what we'd all have said as kids if some dude in a suit popped out of the ice-cream truck right after we unwrapped a pristine 4th series pack and snatched our "Bum Chex" out of our hands, charging us $20 to put it in a plastic box before we could add it to our rubberbanded stack and pencil it in on the checklist?  I'm thinking slingshot to the groin with a half-eaten 'gob-stopper'.

Agree 100% on comic books (and magazines).
Marc

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2021, 08:14:35 AM »

...comic books don't make any sense to slab unless they're miraculous 10's that you'd never even touch with gloves, as it just reduces them to "covers" rather than books.  Seems to me the only thing worth paying to get authenticated is autographs, but then again, it's still just someone's opinion. 

I'm guessing you're not a comic collector, but for those who are (like myself) comic grading is invaluable and has grown the hobby by leaps and bounds. Gone are the days when raw comics were the only option and unscrupulous sellers at shows could routinely try to hawk raw comics they knew (or often didn't know) had been altered by nearly undetectable color touch and/or trimming of the covers. CGC grading offers buyers protection against restoration and confirmation the comic they've bought has been accurately graded (extra important in this age of eBay). Once the comic is in hand, feel free to crack it out and read it, admire it and add it to your collection. And for sellers, having your comic graded means a far better chance of recouping fair market value vs. the potential pitfalls of trying to sell ungraded comics.

Of course, this doesn't mean all comics should be graded, but nowadays nearly all comics worth $100 or more will fare far better on the open market with the price of grading (which can be as low as $16) added. Additionally, as someone who collects comics, cards, coins, stamps, etc., I can tell you that graded comics are by far the most liquid collectible.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2021, 08:26:40 AM »
I'm guessing you're not a comic collector, but for those who are (like myself) comic grading is invaluable and has grown the hobby by leaps and bounds. Gone are the days when raw comics were the only option and unscrupulous sellers at shows could routinely try to hawk raw comics they knew (or often didn't know) had been altered by nearly undetectable color touch and/or trimming of the covers. CGC grading offers buyers protection against restoration and confirmation the comic they've bought has been accurately graded (extra important in this age of eBay). Once the comic is in hand, feel free to crack it out and read it, admire it and add it to your collection. And for sellers, having your comic graded means a far better chance of recouping fair market value vs. the potential pitfalls of trying to sell ungraded comics.

Of course, this doesn't mean all comics should be graded, but nowadays nearly all comics worth $100 or more will fare far better on the open market with the price of grading (which can be as low as $16) added. Additionally, as someone who collects comics, cards, coins, stamps, etc., I can tell you that graded comics are by far the most liquid collectible.

Right on all counts. The older CGC cases don’t really present well, but the new ones are better, and also better in protecting against damage while shipping.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2021, 08:29:07 AM »
This style of case presents really well. And this is for collectible comics, if you want ones to read, you can buy trade paperbacks or beat up reader copies.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »
This style of case presents really well. And this is for collectible comics, if you want ones to read, you can buy trade paperbacks or beat up reader copies.

(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful, perfectly centered copy with razor sharp corners - hard to believe it isn't a 9.8!

Graded (which costs $16 for 1975 or later) it easily sells for $100+
Ungraded (on eBay) you would be lucky to get $20...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2021, 08:44:58 AM »
Funny how some 9.6s look awful these days, but others look great. Must be a function of what kind of defects bother one....

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:03 AM »
Funny how some 9.6s look awful these days, but others look great. Must be a function of what kind of defects bother one....

CGC isn't nearly as tough on centering as they should be, especially when compared to almost all other collectibles where proper centering is essential to a good grade.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2021, 10:13:05 AM »
Beautiful, perfectly centered copy with razor sharp corners - hard to believe it isn't a 9.8!

Graded (which costs $16 for 1975 or later) it easily sells for $100+
Ungraded (on eBay) you would be lucky to get $20...
ok so grading it recovers the cost of grading and provides peace of mind since there is high criminal activity in comics.  Why buy a highly graded item that you will never crack open?  Assuming you are paying fair market value when you purchased it, you are hoping it will go up in value?  Why would demand suddenly increase when the number of people who collect these for nostalgic value are dying off?  Won't these eventually drop in value like early 1900s tin soldiers?  Is the whole thing like the stock market where people "hope" the next person in line wants to pay more for a stock that will NEVER pay dividends?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline freetoes

« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »

I had this issue. I bought it right around the time of Raymond Bradley's birthday party in fourth grade. Mine was nowhere near a 9.6, but I remember the artwork very well.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
ok so grading it recovers the cost of grading and provides peace of mind since there is high criminal activity in comics.

I would say more peace of mind in relation to poor grading on a seller's part than criminal activity (I am assuming you are calling undisclosed restoration a crime)

Why buy a highly graded item that you will never crack open?  Assuming you are paying fair market value when you purchased it, you are hoping it will go up in value?

Yes, there are comic collectors who approach the hobby as an investment and, based on recent sales, are making a boatload of money doing so.

Why would demand suddenly increase when the number of people who collect these for nostalgic value are dying off?  Won't these eventually drop in value like early 1900s tin soldiers?  Is the whole thing like the stock market where people "hope" the next person in line wants to pay more for a stock that will NEVER pay dividends?

Dying off? You do realize that comics are still being printed and that many of these modern issues are selling for four figures. Instagram is filled with 20-something collectors who can't get enough of comics from all ages. And the movies and TV (Disney Channel - WandaVision, etc) are being fueled by comics. Trust me, comic collecting has exploded in popularity and the prices being paid for graded comics reflect the current state of the hobby.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »
Why buy a highly graded item that you will never crack open?

I don’t understand this question. I am not buying CGC comics to read. I own tons of trade paperbacks and often buy low grade comics when I feel like reading them. I buy high grade comics because, for whatever reason, I enjoy having items from my childhood in nice condition. It is not intended as an investment, though monetary appreciation is certainly welcome. They make me happy. As a collector yourself I don’t really understand why this is so hard to understand.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2021, 12:50:52 PM »

Dying off? You do realize that comics are still being printed and that many of these modern issues are selling for four figures. Instagram is filled with 20-something collectors who can't get enough of comics from all ages. And the movies and TV (Disney Channel - WandaVision, etc) are being fueled by comics. Trust me, comic collecting has exploded in popularity and the prices being paid for graded comics reflect the current state of the hobby.

These comments prompted me to look up some comics on ebay, and I see that even my Star Trek Gold Key/Whitman comics are back in demand.  Those ran from 1967 into the late 70's.  For a while, when I was trying to sell them off there was little interest, so I gave up.  I hope shows come back soon, maybe I can sell the 1-61 run to a dealer.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have any DC books from that far back.  Probably some Batman books back to 1984, and a long run starting around #400.  There are at least 4 boxes of comics here; I never really gave any thought to grading them, and I think it would be more work and expense than I would want to commit to.  Aside from the grading fees, I imagine the shipping adds up quickly!  Those full long boxes are now too heavy for me to pick up  :sad:

Thinking on it further, it might be worth grading the first 10 or so Star Treks, with the color photo covers.  As I recall, they are in pretty nice shape.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2021, 01:03:08 PM »
These comments prompted me to look up some comics on ebay, and I see that even my Star Trek Gold Key/Whitman comics are back in demand.  Those ran from 1967 into the late 70's.  For a while, when I was trying to sell them off there was little interest, so I gave up.  I hope shows come back soon, maybe I can sell the 1-61 run to a dealer.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have any DC books from that far back.  Probably some Batman books back to 1984, and a long run starting around #400.  There are at least 4 boxes of comics here; I never really gave any thought to grading them, and I think it would be more work and expense than I would want to commit to.  Aside from the grading fees, I imagine the shipping adds up quickly!  Those full long boxes are now too heavy for me to pick up  :sad:

Thinking on it further, it might be worth grading the first 10 or so Star Treks, with the color photo covers.  As I recall, they are in pretty nice shape.

If your Star Trek comics are in good condition they will definitely be in demand, as are many of the Batman comics from the mid 1980s. Condition is the main thing - in high grade nearly every comic from those eras will command a premium. If you can't find a local dealer interested you may want to try MyComicShop (mycomicshop.com). They take comics on consignment and, if your comics are ungraded but worth sending to CGC, will take care of the grading for you before listing them. You can also list ungraded comics there, but I believe the minimum value is $50. I have listed and sold many comics there (and bought lots too) and I can assure you they are first rate to deal with.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #363 on: March 26, 2021, 12:34:54 PM »
I don’t understand this question. I am not buying CGC comics to read. I own tons of trade paperbacks and often buy low grade comics when I feel like reading them. I buy high grade comics because, for whatever reason, I enjoy having items from my childhood in nice condition. It is not intended as an investment, though monetary appreciation is certainly welcome. They make me happy. As a collector yourself I don’t really understand why this is so hard to understand.
It is very hard for me to understand, I would never pay thousands of $ for a high graded band-ache ludlow when that money can be put towards something fun like an RV that I can enjoy with my family.  Not sure why this is so hard to understand.  Clearly you wouldn't do this if there was a chance all the value would drop on these things so value seems would be part of the equation but you insist it isnt therefore it isn't for you but think you are in the minority.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2021, 12:42:12 PM »
I would say more peace of mind in relation to poor grading on a seller's part than criminal activity (I am assuming you are calling undisclosed restoration a crime)

Yes, there are comic collectors who approach the hobby as an investment and, based on recent sales, are making a boatload of money doing so.

why not buy every graded comic you can get your hands on given their value is almost certain to explode?  Demand is clearly driven by speculation here.  Nothing intrinsically is making an already graded coming go up in value.  As more old comics are graded, it seems supply will increase so this speculation based bonanza needs demand to out pace the increasing supply.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2021, 02:25:49 PM »
why not buy every graded comic you can get your hands on given their value is almost certain to explode? 

Unfortunately, that is not the case. The vast majority of comics that are collected and have been exploding in value are Marvel comics. The DC that Paul_Maul collects - especially Superman - has barely moved in value despite the current surge in prices. The only hot DC right now is Batman (and always has been).

I don't know if you remember Harvey comics? I loved these when I was a kid in the 70s and have a collection from 1974-75 (the years I read them - I quickly outgrew them). Because these comics were bought by pre-teens off a comic rack and read and read and read (and collected by no one at the time) they are almost impossible to find in high (near mint) grade. And if you do find them in high grade off eBay you always run the risk of them being damaged in shipping.

For this reason whenever I see a graded NM Richie Rich from the years that I collect I almost always buy them. CGC graded guarantees the grade for me and also offers significant protection during shipping. I end up paying a premium for these (usually $75+) but if I don't I have almost zero chance of finding them in high grade - which is how I want them (and they look great in the CGC cases). Believe me, they are not an investment. I am pretty sure there are only a handful of collectors who chase Bronze Age Harvey and if I ever sold them I would be lucky to break even after shipping etc.

When it comes to grading you are obviously not a fan, but that is just one of the reasons why having collectibles graded appeals to me.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2021, 02:55:56 PM »
My first love is Bronze Age Superman books but I do collect some Marvels also. Primarily Spidey and X-Men.

I’ve always wondered how CGC deals with a print flaw like this Spidey 101. There is no paper loss, it is just white spots resulting from some printing anomaly. Except for that it is nice.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #367 on: March 26, 2021, 03:11:10 PM »
Unfortunately, that is not the case. The vast majority of comics that are collected and have been exploding in value are Marvel comics. The DC that Paul_Maul collects - especially Superman - has barely moved in value despite the current surge in prices. The only hot DC right now is Batman (and always has been).

I don't know if you remember Harvey comics? I loved these when I was a kid in the 70s and have a collection from 1974-75 (the years I read them - I quickly outgrew them). Because these comics were bought by pre-teens off a comic rack and read and read and read (and collected by no one at the time) they are almost impossible to find in high (near mint) grade. And if you do find them in high grade off eBay you always run the risk of them being damaged in shipping.

For this reason whenever I see a graded NM Richie Rich from the years that I collect I almost always buy them. CGC graded guarantees the grade for me and also offers significant protection during shipping. I end up paying a premium for these (usually $75+) but if I don't I have almost zero chance of finding them in high grade - which is how I want them (and they look great in the CGC cases). Believe me, they are not an investment. I am pretty sure there are only a handful of collectors who chase Bronze Age Harvey and if I ever sold them I would be lucky to break even after shipping etc.

When it comes to grading you are obviously not a fan, but that is just one of the reasons why having collectibles graded appeals to me.

The same goes for Archie comics from the 60s and 70s - read and re-read over and over and no one was really collecting them to put away in mint condition. You're only chance of finding them unread is if they came in comic book discounted packs that are unopened. Not that they are worth a lot of money, but are nearly impossible to find. I always appreciate seeing a mint silver age comic!
Every once in awhile I would see old minty Harveys and Gold Key comics as pubishers copies on Ebay - assume these came from old printer archives. I had read that William Gaines kept mint wrapped unread issues of Mad comics from the beginning so that makes sense - Alex

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #368 on: March 26, 2021, 03:20:01 PM »
My first love is Bronze Age Superman books but I do collect some Marvels also. Primarily Spidey and X-Men.

I’ve always wondered how CGC deals with a print flaw like this Spidey 101. There is no paper loss, it is just white spots resulting from some printing anomaly. Except for that it is nice.

X-Men is always in demand and that ASM #300 (1st Venom) has gone off the charts. Still kicking myself for selling my CGC 9.2 copy thinking I would upgrade some day...

Those spots are weird. Are you sure it is a printing defect? Looks more like a tape pull.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2021, 03:23:52 PM »
The same goes for Archie comics from the 60s and 70s - read and re-read over and over and no one was really collecting them to put away in mint condition. You're only chance of finding them unread is if they came in comic book discounted packs that are unopened. Not that they are worth a lot of money, but are nearly impossible to find. I always appreciate seeing a mint silver age comic!
Every once in awhile I would see old minty Harveys and Gold Key comics as pubishers copies on Ebay - assume these came from old printer archives. I had read that William Gaines kept mint wrapped unread issues of Mad comics from the beginning so that makes sense - Alex

Most of my near mint Harvey comics are file copies that the publisher saved and were sold after the company folded.

I wish I had some of those Gaines File Copies. William Gaines kept 12 fresh copies of every comic EC ever printed in file cabinets in his office. When they were finally sold they became a pedigree and are in almost every case the nicest copies of EC comics available (many were destroyed during the anti-comic backlash during the 1950s) and are always in high demand!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2021, 03:34:57 PM »
If your Star Trek comics are in good condition they will definitely be in demand, as are many of the Batman comics from the mid 1980s. Condition is the main thing - in high grade nearly every comic from those eras will command a premium. If you can't find a local dealer interested you may want to try MyComicShop (mycomicshop.com). They take comics on consignment and, if your comics are ungraded but worth sending to CGC, will take care of the grading for you before listing them. You can also list ungraded comics there, but I believe the minimum value is $50. I have listed and sold many comics there (and bought lots too) and I can assure you they are first rate to deal with.

Thanks for the tips!  I'm hoping to look through my comics over the weekend, but I have some heavy lifting to do first.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #371 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »
X-Men is always in demand and that ASM #300 (1st Venom) has gone off the charts. Still kicking myself for selling my CGC 9.2 copy thinking I would upgrade some day...

Those spots are weird. Are you sure it is a printing defect? Looks more like a tape pull.

Not a tape pull. Definitely a print defect.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: March 26, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »

Wow, those prices are incredible!  I remember seeing that in the comic store when it came out.  Don't think I bought it, though - money was tight back then, and I was mostly buying the Batman family of books.  I had those on reserve every week.  Read them carefully, and then bagged and boxed them. 

But, seeing as how it is a 300th issue, I might have bought one to put away.  Must look!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #373 on: March 26, 2021, 04:49:05 PM »
If only a near full run of PLOP! would sell for enough so I can retire.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2021, 05:08:51 PM »
Most of my near mint Harvey comics are file copies that the publisher saved and were sold after the company folded.

I wish I had some of those Gaines File Copies. William Gaines kept 12 fresh copies of every comic EC ever printed in file cabinets in his office. When they were finally sold they became a pedigree and are in almost every case the nicest copies of EC comics available (many were destroyed during the anti-comic backlash during the 1950s) and are always in high demand!

File copies!!! Yes, that was the term. Was great to see minty copies of Harvey comics from the late 50s to the 60s on ebay - no way they would have stayed mint at my house! A

Offline bandaches

« Reply #375 on: March 28, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »

I am not I following but you buy them graded for shipping protection?  I still have all my richie Rich and Dennis the Menace comics heavily read but in a bin somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:29:00 AM by bandaches »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »
On a few past occasions I bought some short comic runs on ebay that happened to be in superb condition, not because I was necessarily shooting for top grade books - just threw out a modest bid and ended up winning, which happens quite a bit with eBay, especially if you bid on a variety of things.  I thought that if I ever submitted any books for certified grading it would be those.  Then, a few years ago I read somewhere that high-grade Marvel books become much more abundant when the cover price reached 30 cents, circa 1976.  Well wouldn’t you know it, all the aforementioned books fall precisely in that class - Captain America low #200’s, Hulk low 200’s, Captain Marvel 40’s-50’s.  So much for thinking I lucked out and got valuable books on the cheap.

As for Harveys and Archies, just finding clean copies without writing on or in them is a major win IMO.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:48:08 PM by MoldRush »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »
PSA has suspended all submissions (except super express - $300 a card - and up) until at least July 1.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2021, 02:33:53 AM »
PSA has suspended all submissions (except super express - $300 a card - and up) until at least July 1.

Geez, a crazy surge in submissions right after they raised their rates?  "We recently received more cards in three days than we did during the previous three months."  Maybe people were afraid of the next rate increase?  Or, someone found a warehouse full of cards.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2021, 07:31:34 AM »
Geez, a crazy surge in submissions right after they raised their rates?  "We recently received more cards in three days than we did during the previous three months."  Maybe people were afraid of the next rate increase?  Or, someone found a warehouse full of cards.
I am feeling pretty confident in my predictions early, the days of $15 grading specials are gone forever.  This should be good news for the folks with current PSA graded wackys as the flood of PSA material will stop but of course this "smaller" wacky packages market will move on to PSA competitors which will then become the new norm for wacky grading.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #380 on: April 01, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
Beckett has raised their pricing to $20 per card.  CGC is now at $20.00 per card as well. I don't see anything below $75.00 per card on SGC.  CSG and GMA are only $8 per card in bulk but I have no idea who they are.  Not sure if I am missing any other major card graders. 

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: WP Forum PSA Archive
« Reply #381 on: April 07, 2021, 10:41:23 AM »
Picked up a triple upgrade from cardster....from a toned, PSA 8 possible wonder bread to a nice white, two asterisk PSA 9!

I just found out today that Tom Reynolds (aka lightningboy on the CU forum, aka cardster1 on eBay) died unexpectedly last August. I realize no one here knew him, but he was a good guy, an avid collector and had a soft spot for wackys. He had a real knack for finding nice collections. I bought some of my favorite graded wackys from him over the years. RIP Tom.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
Re: WP Forum PSA Archive
« Reply #382 on: April 07, 2021, 11:24:35 AM »
I just found out today that Tom Reynolds (aka lightningboy on the CU forum, aka cardster1 on eBay) died unexpectedly last August. I realize no one here knew him, but he was a good guy, an avid collector and had a soft spot for wackys. He had a real knack for finding nice collections. I bought some of my favorite graded wackys from him over the years. RIP Tom.

Sad news, I picked up my Blurine PSA 8 from cardster1 via eBay last May. My condolences to his family, friends and all who knew and loved him. RIP Tom.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
Expensive

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2021, 03:24:08 PM »
ahhh, throwing your hat into the 16th series ring I see.  Lots of competition in that end of the pool  ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:57:00 AM by jleonard1967 »