Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123516 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2020, 04:46:10 AM »
Starting to really build up your 5th series

Yes, maybe that series will be my magnum opus (for some reason) and (for now).

This purchase was more enjoyable because Chumps is my first top pop title, being 1/10 PSA 9's with no 10's.

Unfortunately, there are still some titles from this set that will still be more difficult such as Muleburro and a couple others...

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2020, 05:19:35 AM »
Also, is there a reason Gogtter retired all of his PSA sets? Did he get bored being #1 on every one?

Is he selling his Wackys?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2020, 06:59:59 AM »
Also, is there a reason Gogtter retired all of his PSA sets? Did he get bored being #1 on every one?

He has had some chronic health problems for several years. I don’t believe he is selling his 1-16, but I do think he sold his die cuts and back variation sets to Jim.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2020, 07:01:34 AM »

He was never #1 on die cuts or series 1! At least not long term.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:04:55 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2020, 07:10:16 AM »
I see a Sufferin 10 just popped! Eric was a Floral 10 away from having the highest graded example of every 16th, now he needs two!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
Who’s Jim?

A Chumps 9 also appeared. There were nine when I bought mine, and a tenth just appeared. I suspect more top pop items have likely shown up across the OS, now we just wonder who the culprit is.

I would still like to see the Floral 10, and now this Sufferin “10”.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2020, 08:22:41 AM »
I would still like to see the Floral 10, and now this Sufferin “10”.

Ever see this one?   ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »
He has had some chronic health problems for several years. I don’t believe he is selling his 1-16, but I do think he sold his die cuts and back variation sets to Jim.
I think Eric ended up with his 1-16 set. I know I obtained some of the shedd's. I know that Mr. Fagen got some of the hostess pairs.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2020, 03:51:03 AM »
I didn't know any 3rd white 9's existed. I assume that's your's? Do you have others in the set?

Is there a reason that Eric doesn't allow people to view his sets?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2020, 04:01:16 AM »
I didn't know any 3rd white 9's existed. I assume that's your's? Do you have others in the set?

Is there a reason that Eric doesn't allow people to view his sets?

Yup, it's mine and I do have a PSA 7 white Lova also.  Got them in a trade from a Forum member way back when.  PSA goofed-up and put the two specimens in with regular 3rd tan backs in the registry, as Joe L. has pointed out to me recently. 

I'm not much into PSA Wackys, so I know very little about Eric's sets and the PSA Wacky world.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2020, 05:13:31 AM »
Yup, it's mine and I do have a PSA 7 white Lova also.  Got them in a trade from a Forum member way back when.  PSA goofed-up and put the two specimens in with regular 3rd tan backs in the registry, as Joe L. has pointed out to me recently. 

I'm not much into PSA Wackys, so I know very little about Eric's sets and the PSA Wacky world.

Sorry, I guess I should have quoted. I was asking Dave or Joe about Eric's sets. But, dang! That would be a nice way to start a set if you collected them. I'm going to look and see if any people have started 3rd white sets on the registry.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 05:45:01 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2020, 05:50:35 AM »
But, dang! That would be a nice way to start a set if you collected them. I'm going to look and see if any people have started 3rd white sets on the registry.

I have a couple of complete 3rd white sets and quite a few of those specimens would likely slab fairly well. 

Always looking for good trades though!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
I have a couple of complete 3rd white sets and quite a few of those specimens would likely slab fairly well. 

Always looking for good trades though!

WOW!!!  I don't think I've ever seen a 3rd white in person, raw or graded!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2020, 06:31:47 AM »

Same, now that I think about it. Of course, I did meet Brute 88 from the forum at a Philly show a year or two back and knowing him for a day, he probably had five of those sets there too.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2020, 06:47:40 AM »

Well here's the next best thing then - Lova:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »
Very nice!  How did you ever end up with multiple sets?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
Very nice!  How did you ever end up with multiple sets?

Years and years of e-bay auctions!

;D

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2020, 05:16:41 PM »
Mel, does have good sets, this I can atest too.  He  has helped me out many times in the past.  Helps we are only 190 miles apart.  Just an afternoon drive in the midwest here!

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2020, 09:13:14 AM »
I have 15 stickers that I *think* are NM or better that I am considering submitting to PSA for grading. I am not currently a PSA member. Any advice re: submitting to get the best value/results?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
I have 15 stickers that I *think* are NM or better that I am considering submitting to PSA for grading. I am not currently a PSA member. Any advice re: submitting to get the best value/results?

It’s not really a good time. There are no collectors club memberships with grading vouchers available at this time. Also, the economy service level has been suspended. So if you join PSA (at the silver level - $59 and no vouchers) your options will be:

1. Pay $50 per card
2. Submit at least 20 cards, pay $12 per, and wait literally 4-6 months to get them back.

If they are garden variety wackys, it may not be worth it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:23:18 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »
It’s not really a good time. There are no collectors club memberships with grading vouchers available at this time. Also, the economy service level has been suspended. So if you join PSA (at the silver level - $59 and no vouchers) your options will be:

1. Pay $50 per card
2. Submit at least 20 cards, pay $12 per, and wait literally 4-6 months to get them back.

If they are garden variety wackys, it may not be worth it.

Thanks for the reply!  :great:

Option #2 sounds far better than option #1. They're 15th series stickers and I also have nice Bum Chex, Grime Heavy, Run Tony, Pupsi and Choke Wagon stickers I would like to get encapsulated. Maybe at some point down the road when submitting conditions improve at PSA I will dig through my 1960 - 70 hockey and baseball cards to see if there are any candidates to add to the submission and make it worthwhile.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  :great:

Option #2 sounds far better than option #1. They're 15th series stickers and I also have nice Bum Chex, Grime Heavy, Run Tony, Pupsi and Choke Wagon stickers I would like to get encapsulated. Maybe at some point down the road when submitting conditions improve at PSA I will dig through my 1960 - 70 hockey and baseball cards to see if there are any candidates to add to the submission and make it worthwhile.

You definitely need to make sure they're worth subbing. I did my first "submission" with Dave (Paul_Maul) a couple years back, and I sent him several cards thinking that they'd be good to sub. I ended up only sending two in by his discretion. I would say that you should only sub if you expect PSA 8 or higher, but with MAG 7 titles you can be a bit more lenient. Especially with Choke Wagon. As far as the 15th Series, I still think it would be smart to sub expecting 8's but I think you're still technically better off with a 15th Series PSA 7 than, say, a 6th Series PSA 7.

If someone else here has something to sub, you could always combine the submission if you didn't have enough cards. Not sure if anyone on here had that plan, however.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »
You definitely need to make sure they're worth subbing. I did my first "submission" with Dave (Paul_Maul) a couple years back, and I sent him several cards thinking that they'd be good to sub. I ended up only sending two in by his discretion. I would say that you should only sub if you expect PSA 8 or higher, but with MAG 7 titles you can be a bit more lenient. Especially with Choke Wagon. As far as the 15th Series, I still think it would be smart to sub expecting 8's but I think you're still technically better off with a 15th Series PSA 7 than, say, a 6th Series PSA 7.

If someone else here has something to sub, you could always combine the submission if you didn't have enough cards. Not sure if anyone on here had that plan, however.

I had to do a forum search to figure out what the heck MAG 7 stood for. Ironically, the answer was in a query you posted asking the exact same question four years ago! And thanks for the reply!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
Three of my favorites!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2020, 03:51:07 AM »
Three of my favorites!

What are you referring to?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2020, 04:05:25 AM »
Somehow, my Series 12 set was a 2020 certificate award winner!  Not sure what the criteria are, but cool nonetheless!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2020, 04:44:56 AM »
I had to do a forum search to figure out what the heck MAG 7 stood for. Ironically, the answer was in a query you posted asking the exact same question four years ago! And thanks for the reply!

OK....I give. What does MAG 7 mean? I did a forum search and only found a MAG 7 reference to "magnificent 7" forum collectors. And a Google search provided a gun called the MAG-7.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2020, 04:58:34 AM »
OK....I give. What does MAG 7 mean? I did a forum search and only found a MAG 7 reference to "magnificent 7" forum collectors. And a Google search provided a gun called the MAG-7.

Band-ache, Lavirus, Mutt's, Paul Maul, Run Tony, Bum Chex, and Choke Wagon are collectively referred to by some collectors as the Magnificent Seven or MAG-7 for short.

Offline drono

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2020, 05:03:58 AM »
Why wouldn't there be a MAG-9 that includes Spic and Spill and Grime Heavy? Or even an 11 that includes Oddie Boy and Scoot No Copyright?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2020, 05:18:01 AM »
Why wouldn't there be a MAG-9 that includes Spic and Spill and Grime Heavy? Or even an 11 that includes Oddie Boy and Scoot No Copyright?

I imagine because those you mentioned are variations, not pulled titles.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2020, 05:24:25 AM »
I believe I was told that some variations were not included because they were either not discovered at the time or they should be omitted (for one reason or another).

Also, congrats on the 2020 award for your Series 12, Pat. I am sure hard work went into getting an award winning set!

Offline drono

« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2020, 05:27:39 AM »
I imagine because those you mentioned are variations, not pulled titles.

Weren't those four 1st series just one sticker per sheet and not pulled?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2020, 05:31:00 AM »
Weren't those four 1st series just one sticker per sheet and not pulled?

Yes you are correct, my mistake...

Offline drono

« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2020, 05:36:31 AM »
I believe I was told that some variations were not included because they were either not discovered at the time or they should be omitted (for one reason or another).

I'll give you that for Spic, Oddie, and Scoot.  I do believe those variations were discovered much later (along with the Cram die variation), but I think Grime Heavy was discovered early on.  I agree there is a certain "mystique" about the 1st series, being the first series that many of us purchased as kids, never having known about the Die Cuts or Ads.  I would've considered Spic and Grime Heavy more valuable than Paul, Lavirus, and Mutts until much later when the the uncut sheets were discovered to show that each appeared only once and were in fact rarer.