Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 123462 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2020, 05:18:53 AM »
It doesn’t really address the negatives of a photo vs. a true scan though. I still see shadows.

Yeah, not all grass is green for sure, but I still think it turns out better than the original camera because I, for one, don't have a scanner anymore. So, this is a good alternative for one.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »

New pickup.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:12:41 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »
Anyone know why "appealslaw" has ten 1st Series PSA sets on the registry? He must really like the set.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Anyone know why "appealslaw" has ten 1st Series PSA sets on the registry? He must really like the set.

Duzn’t matter; had sets

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2020, 03:35:43 PM »
His top set will probably pass me soon. I just can’t find any upgrades I like better than what I have any more.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
His top set will probably pass me soon. I just can’t find any upgrades I like better than what I have any more.
The closer to completion does do that. It is very hard to find upgrades. I agree with you on that, you are even more particular than I am.  So trust me I get what you are saying.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2020, 03:05:52 AM »

I know you're particular, but this is hard to believe. I feel like there's just as high of a population of 1sts as other series aside from a few titles, in high grade, and (while this is irrelevant) I still don't understand why they pull a premium.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2020, 03:37:59 AM »
You find what hard to believe? I have around 8 titles I don’t have a 9 of, and a few 9s for which I don’t love the eye appeal. They tend to be tougher titles, and in the rare event an (overpriced) 9 appears on eBay, my 8/8.5 generally has better eye appeal. I will never “upgrade” to an uglier card.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2020, 03:39:26 AM »
They pull a premium because it’s the most popular original series, and while they are not ultra rare, they are not as common in high grade as middle series.

Offline drono

« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2020, 06:35:41 AM »
And people like me, at the ripe old age of 9, didn't know what they were, so they put them in the pocket of their shorts and carried them around to show to their friends thus damaging the product.  Unfortunately my 1st tans all got washed in said pocket of my shorts and completely destroyed.  By the time the later series came around, we knew what they were, and if we weren't into sticking them on things, we didn't put them in our pockets and took better care of our collection. 

In all actuality though, most of the higher grade cards came from product opened after 9-pocket sheets and hard plastic protectors were commonplace.  There were far less series 1 unopened packs killed later in life, thus the shortage of higher grade material.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:39:21 AM by drono »

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2020, 07:27:24 AM »
And people like me, at the ripe old age of 9, didn't know what they were, so they put them in the pocket of their shorts and carried them around to show to their friends thus damaging the product.  Unfortunately my 1st tans all got washed in said pocket of my shorts and completely destroyed.  By the time the later series came around, we knew what they were, and if we weren't into sticking them on things, we didn't put them in our pockets and took better care of our collection. 

In all actuality though, most of the higher grade cards came from product opened after 9-pocket sheets and hard plastic protectors were commonplace.  There were far less series 1 unopened packs killed later in life, thus the shortage of higher grade material.

I was about 14 when WPs came out and I don't remember any of my friends or I having the "collector mentality" back in those days. I'm sure there were comic and baseball card collectors, but shoe boxes were the fanciest holding apperatus I saw back then. And that was more to do with volume than preserving the integrity of the cards.   :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline drono

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »
Shoe boxes were the fanciest holding apperatus I saw back then. And that was more to do with volume than preserving the integrity of the cards.   :]

Those and cigar boxes.  My dad used to bring them home from work.  I loved the smell of the cigar boxes.  I find them periodically in antique stores now, but the smell is gone.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »
I remember storing all my cards in those Topps Football card lockers from the late 70s

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
I notice many of the PSA graded wackys on eBay are in the older non-hologram PSA holders. Are there any known issues with the old-style holders vs. the new Lighthouse style? Or are there any opinions as to whether the grading was tighter/looser on cards graded prior to the introduction of the current PSA holder (I believe it was updated in 2017)?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »
I notice many of the PSA graded wackys on eBay are in the older non-hologram PSA holders. Are there any known issues with the old-style holders vs. the new Lighthouse style? Or are there any opinions as to whether the grading was tighter/looser on cards graded prior to the introduction of the current PSA holder (I believe it was updated in 2017)?

The lighthouse holders look better, and are more difficult to tamper with. Not really a concern for garden variety wackys.

I got most of my wackys graded in 2013-2015. I have always thought PSA was a little looser with wackys than with baseball cards, simply because they have examined them so much less. But I haven’t noticed a big difference in tightness over the years (as I have observed with some baseball sets). If anything, probably a bit tighter now than very old flips.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2020, 04:57:22 AM »
The lighthouse holders look better, and are more difficult to tamper with. Not really a concern for garden variety wackys.

I got most of my wackys graded in 2013-2015. I have always thought PSA was a little looser with wackys than with baseball cards, simply because they have examined them so much less. But I haven’t noticed a big difference in tightness over the years (as I have observed with some baseball sets). If anything, probably a bit tighter now than very old flips.

Yeah, I like the new flips. When I first started collecting these, I strayed away from the older flips because I didn't like the way they looked.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:29:09 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2020, 09:18:57 AM »
What the heck is a "flip"?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
What the heck is a "flip"?

It’s the little slip of paper at the top with the PSA logo and cert number and card information on it.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
Yeah, I like the new flips. When I first started collected these, I strayed away from the older flips because I didn't like the way they looked.

My feelings exactly. I don't have many graded Wackys but have definitely noticed the new PSA holders look a lot nicer. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
When the "flip" starts to matter in the value of the graded card, I'm done   >(

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2020, 12:36:53 PM »

The flip is the value. No flip, no grade.

ok, now I am starting to sound a bit simple

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »
I'm still thinking of boycotting PSA for not keeping Wackys in checklist order.

grrrr

Offline drono

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
I'm still thinking of boycotting PSA for not keeping Wackys in checklist order.

It's for us old farts who can't remember the order on the checklist as we've gotten older.  I used to list all of my extras and needs that way, then it got to where I couldn't find them in my own list anymore, so I went to alphabetical order.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2020, 06:19:38 AM »

It’s not a significant factor in value. But it really isn’t as crazy as it sounds. Any difference in value would just reflect a consensus of what grading was like during that time period.

If the buyer could examine the card carefully it shouldn’t matter, but in online transactions every bit of information is of value.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
PSA graded a very off-center card as a 9 Off-center??? Centering is a big factor when grading encapsulated stamps, so this is surprising...
A

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2020, 02:53:28 PM »
PSA graded a very off-center card as a 9 Off-center??? Centering is a big factor when grading encapsulated stamps, so this is surprising...
A

It’s a qualifier. Aside from the centering, it grades a 9. In reality, sans the qualifier, the card is a 7 as the qualifier drops the grade down by two.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2020, 07:54:45 AM »

Need a more overcast day for a better picture, but just got this...

Bright, colorful, centered, nice corners... what more can ya ask for?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2020, 08:18:26 AM »
Very nice. Sometimes wackys like this will receive a higher grade because of a mis-perception by the grader of what the vertical centering should be like. I have seen 9s and 10s that look just like this.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »
Very nice. Sometimes wackys like this will receive a higher grade because of a mis-perception by the grader of what the vertical centering should be like. I have seen 9s and 10s that look just like this.

It is definitely worthy of a 9 if you ask me, it is even nicer than I expected.

I also have two more high grade PSA's coming later this week...

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »
So, here's my two other pickups...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
Great! Two titles I remember fondly.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
Did I hear correctly recently that PSA was under investigation or something?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »
Did I hear correctly recently that PSA was under investigation or something?

It’s a long story. PSA clearly certified and encapsulated altered cards. However, I don’t believe they are guilty of anything other than not being able to do what they say they can do which is catch alterations.

eBay auction house PWCC, on the other hand, is under investigation, and is likely guilty of conspiring to intentionally bring altered cards to marketplace. They may also be guilty of cooperating with those who cracked, altered and resubmitted cards.

If you want all the sordid details search the forum on Blowout Cards.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2020, 06:48:08 PM »
So, here's my two other pickups...

Starting to really build up your 5th series

anything