Author Topic: WP Forum PSA Thread  (Read 54616 times)

Offline drono

Re: WP Forum PSA Thread
« Reply #560 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:36 AM »
I sent a batch of 132 in last august.  they have been in the grading stage now for 2 months I am going on 15 months.  I dont expect them until January.  I hope I am wrong

So does that mean if there's an 18-month lag from submitted to graded, that the price guide report on PSA graded cards is always 18 months old due to changes in grade population?  That sort of defeats the purpose of a monthly magazine.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #561 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:47 AM »
We are discussing this on that vintage facebook page you invited me, we are discussing if grading should be two grades, manufacturing defect and post manufacturing defect.  Manufacturing defects with coins INCREASE the value since clearly there are far fewer that get out the door.  If Topps made an effort to grade miscuts and fewer made it out the door, would they be worth MORE like a coin?  I am with you, I certainly would choose centered over off centered with everything else being equal but PSA set up this racket and now they can just change the racket since they really had no standards and make people collect all over again, their goal is to make money, it is not to set standards.
You are correct there is way more quality control with the US mint then there was with Topps printing.  Back in the day, Topps counted on the candy (gum) sales and used cards to increase this.  The US mint had to make a product that is the same each time.  You are 100 percent correct defects in coins are rare and worth a whole bunch.  In cards though getting a perfect card, even from the pack was a hard feat.  So when we grade coins only condition after the mint is considered.  They dont say lady liberty is off center on a coin, so you cannot use the same standards.  Each one stands on their own.  (quick fact PCGS the number one coin grader and PSA the number one card grader are all under the collectors universe umbrella)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #562 on: October 26, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
So does that mean if there's an 18-month lag from submitted to graded, that the price guide report on PSA graded cards is always 18 months old due to changes in grade population?  That sort of defeats the purpose of a monthly magazine.
That is a good question that I don't know. the answer to, however in my opinion there is enough out there graded that the small amount left in the grading banks should not affect the millions that have been graded

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #563 on: October 26, 2021, 09:13:29 AM »
Ironically, I believe that I read that they are removing qualifiers. The grade will simply drop if the issue is found instead of the ugly (OC) or (MC) on the case. I think that’s great!

It also seems that they are toughening on their grading, which is also good - but the inconsistency isn’t.

I’m in the boat with you, Joe. My enthusiasm for Wackys is minimal anymore, but picking up higher grade stuff is enjoyable. Especially when you can find a known toughie in high grade, it’ll light you up like Christmas. Or maybe that’s just me. And, again, the biggest highlight is the registry as well as the leaderboards that show everyone’s sets.
Trust me I get it, It is a different way of collecting where you can go with like minded collectors.  ( I just wish some of them would make them public and take some pictures)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: October 26, 2021, 09:20:15 AM »
Trust me I get it, It is a different way of collecting where you can go with like minded collectors.  ( I just wish some of them would make them public and take some pictures)

I finished uploading scans of my Die Cuts, Ads, and Series 1 so far.  Then I had no spare time for scanning.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #565 on: October 26, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
I sent a batch of 132 in last august.  they have been in the grading stage now for 2 months I am going on 15 months.  I dont expect them until January.  I hope I am wrong

What kinda stuff did ya send in??

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #566 on: October 26, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Making customers wait more than a year is a TERRIBLE business model. Then again, i guess they have a monopoly…..

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #567 on: October 27, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Think about how crazy that is!  A fresh out of the pack(proof or uncirculated), no finger prints, perfect card with 90/10 centering would be a PSA4 and a card floating around in circulation with soft corners and perfect centering gets a higher grade.  Sorry that is nutty to me.

I happen to agree with you. I would much rather have a pack fresh un-toned card with perfect corners and 80/20 centering than a PSA 5 with lots of wear. But believe it or not there are a lot of collectors who value centering over everything else, and believe (I strongly disagree) that it is the primary determinant of eye appeal. I literally see guys all the time proudly showing off their perfectly centered Mantle cards that look like they have been through the mill, and I wouldn’t take those cards for free.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2021, 10:38:58 AM »
What kinda stuff did ya send in??
about 100 wackys Mostly 9th series with a mix of other series and Star Trek Stickers.  I received a bunch that had no roller marks.  That is a really hard thing to do on star trek or star wars stickers

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
I finished uploading scans of my Die Cuts, Ads, and Series 1 so far.  Then I had no spare time for scanning.
You leave yours open and have plenty of pictures  :great:

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
Making customers wait more than a year is a TERRIBLE business model. Then again, i guess they have a monopoly…..
It was a perfect storm, The pandemic hit, more people home and started card collecting and finally the popularity of Pokémon.  It caused them to get overwhelmed, as long as when it is over it, doesn't hold the current model of business I will be happy.  You have to realize PSA increased its staff 4 fold and they are going to have to keep those people busy, I do think that the prices will come down then.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
Prices up and poor service….classic monopolistic behavior….

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
I don’t think it’s really possible to have a monopoly at this point…

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #573 on: October 30, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »
Does anyone know how long the current $150 submission/review takes?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #574 on: October 30, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »
Does anyone know how long the current $150 submission/review takes?

If I understand this page correctly it looks like a little over five weeks….

https://www.psacard.com/pricing

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #575 on: October 30, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »
If I understand this page correctly it looks like a little over five weeks….

https://www.psacard.com/pricing

I applaud them in making it as confusing as possible.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #576 on: October 30, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
I think the date they give (9/21) represents the oldest order that is not completed. So anything that was logged before that is done.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #577 on: November 14, 2021, 12:06:17 PM »
Which scan looks better?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: November 14, 2021, 12:11:54 PM »
Which scan looks better?

I prefer the one on the left - the color seems brighter and the and lettering sharper.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #579 on: November 15, 2021, 09:24:55 AM »
Easier to compare them side-by-side:

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #580 on: November 15, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
The right one looks better to me, the left seems darker.