Author Topic: Interesting auction  (Read 10739 times)

Offline bigtomi

Interesting auction
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »
Courtesy of Dave Duddy from Greg's old forum: Looks like there's going to be an auction of rare sports and non-sport items, including an almost full box of 5 cent Ads with a G&E showing on a pack.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/viewuserdefinedpage.aspx?pn=1965ToppsFootballCompleteWaxBox

Offline quas

Re: Interesting auction
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
Courtesy of Dave Duddy from Greg's old forum: Looks like there's going to be an auction of rare sports and non-sport items, including an almost full box of 5 cent Ads with a G&E showing on a pack.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/viewuserdefinedpage.aspx?pn=1965ToppsFootballCompleteWaxBox

Wow, unbelievable collection.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:25:49 AM »
Wow, unbelievable collection.

It sure is!!!  Those boxes should go for big bucks, even if they are only partially filled. 

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »

It went for $17,877.  Wow

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
It went for $17,877.  Wow

Not that crazy when you do the math, that's about $800+ per pack with $500-1000 for the display box. Pretty much in line with what these items have sold for in the past, actually on the low end of that.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:08:58 AM »
Not that crazy when you do the math, that's about $800+ per pack with $500-1000 for the display box. Pretty much in line with what these items have sold for in the past, actually on the low end of that.
I agree I thought this would have sold for more.  Perhaps the market for unopened wacky packages  packs is not as hot as that blowhard that used to stop here once a year bragging about all  his profits from such sales thinks.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »
Ouch. I "think" that maybe Bandaches is referring to me as the Blowhard. If so:

1-- As readers may recall, I never even wanted to publish what boxes and packs I had for sale, mainly because I prefer face to face sales. There are never any issues to deal with post sale.

2 -- I never bragged about sales; in fact, I don't depend on Wacky sales as they are just a small percentage of what I sell.

3 -- I log on to the Wacky Forum daily; I just only chime in when I can add to the conversation.

4 -- I did bid on the item in question in the Mile High auction, but was interested in other items and decided to drop out of the Wacky bidding. I expected the box to sell for between $20,000 to $30,000 so thought this was a great deal. I suspect that I know who bought it?

5 -- I have mentioned this before, but still need complete boxes of Wacky series 1 - 5, and 16 to complete the run. I have approximately 12 duplicate complete boxes available for trade. Maybe I will put them up for sale sometime soon. But I still prefer face to face sales.

As I have also said before, there is no need in a public forum to continue to display a negative attitude towards anyone, and keep bringing it up. I just can't see the benefit of doing that since nothing is gained. Now just in case I am not the "Blowhard", such is life!

Steve

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:11 AM »

I suspect that I know who bought it?

Steve

I figured Eric Roberts probably bought it, but that's just a guess.

Offline drono

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
I expected the box to sell for between $20,000 to $30,000 so thought this was a great deal.

We really only know how high the 2nd-highest bidder went.  The winner may have bid $20-30K or even higher.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
We really only know how high the 2nd-highest bidder went.  The winner may have bid $20-30K or even higher.

I get your point, but there's a difference between "how high he went" and "how high he was willing to go." The winning bid is the highest bid that was placed. You could say the same thing in any conventional auction, only the winning bidder's maximum proxy bid was only in his own mind.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »
Ouch. I "think" that maybe Bandaches is referring to me as the Blowhard. If so:

1-- As readers may recall, I never even wanted to publish what boxes and packs I had for sale, mainly because I prefer face to face sales. There are never any issues to deal with post sale.

2 -- I never bragged about sales; in fact, I don't depend on Wacky sales as they are just a small percentage of what I sell.

3 -- I log on to the Wacky Forum daily; I just only chime in when I can add to the conversation.

4 -- I did bid on the item in question in the Mile High auction, but was interested in other items and decided to drop out of the Wacky bidding. I expected the box to sell for between $20,000 to $30,000 so thought this was a great deal. I suspect that I know who bought it?

5 -- I have mentioned this before, but still need complete boxes of Wacky series 1 - 5, and 16 to complete the run. I have approximately 12 duplicate complete boxes available for trade. Maybe I will put them up for sale sometime soon. But I still prefer face to face sales.

As I have also said before, there is no need in a public forum to continue to display a negative attitude towards anyone, and keep bringing it up. I just can't see the benefit of doing that since nothing is gained. Now just in case I am not the "Blowhard", such is life!

Steve
You are full of crap.  Go look at your last post that I didn't even both responding to in which you took a shot at me.  The more often you have to tell everyone how great you are, the less likely it is true.....

Infamous blowhard quotes:

"Excellent. I just hate to alienate or insult anyone"

"Regards to you Dave and even those who seem to be able to turn every posting into something negative."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:43:41 AM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
One bidder having an extreme high price in mind that is never closely matched by anyone else does not equate to its market value.  Time and time again wacky packy unopened packs sell for less than blowhard duo wants everyone to believe they are worth.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 07:34:42 PM »
You are full of crap.  Go look at your last post that I didn't even both responding to in which you took a shot at me.  The more often you have to tell everyone how great you are, the less likely it is true.....

Infamous blowhard quotes:

"Excellent. I just hate to alienate or insult anyone"

"Regards to you Dave and even those who seem to be able to turn every posting into something negative."
I remember those quotes.  I believe they were in my thread in which I tried to find a missing mail away poster.  for some reason Dynamic duo hijacked that thread and made numerous posts making vague references to a trouble maker(I wasn't sure if he was referring to my commenting how he ignored my questions while he gave these verbose explanations of his existence in the hobby.  I finally asked him to take his angst elsewhere so my thread could get back to its purpose.  So while I don't find him as irksome as you do, I agree he spends lots of time stating he doesn't insult and alienate yet easily 1/3 of his posts make references to trouble making even when nobody is responding to him.  I find him to be more odd than irksome.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
I remember those quotes.  I believe they were in my thread in which I tried to find a missing mail away poster.  for some reason Dynamic duo hijacked that thread and made numerous posts making vague references to a trouble maker(I wasn't sure if he was referring to my commenting how he ignored my questions while he gave these verbose explanations of his existence in the hobby.  I finally asked him to take his angst elsewhere so my thread could get back to its purpose.  So while I don't find him as irksome as you do, I agree he spends lots of time stating he doesn't insult and alienate yet easily 1/3 of his posts make references to trouble making even when nobody is responding to him.  I find him to be more odd than irksome.
LOL, I thought you and he were like buddy buddy here but I went back and reread your exchanges and I see he was just not clever enough to see your snarkiness with him  8)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
This isn't a part of that "Interesting auction" but I thought I'd mention this:

eBay auction: #302457595704

Did anyone snatch this up? I bid up to $610 personally, and apparently my father bid up to $700. My first and probably last chance of getting a Cracked under the radar..  >(

Offline bandaches

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »
This isn't a part of that "Interesting auction" but I thought I'd mention this:

eBay auction: #302457595704

Did anyone snatch this up? I bid up to $610 personally, and apparently my father bid up to $700. My first and probably last chance of getting a Cracked under the radar..  >(
Good digging!  I wonder if all those titles are number variations.  Buyer got a steal if they are.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:08 AM »
Good digging!  I wonder if all those titles are number variations.  Buyer got a steal if they are.

Yep, that's why I asked for pictures of the backs. None are number variations. I kind of assumed as though, anyway, because there is a Cracked Animals there. That would probably mean the original owner bought packs and those were all the ones they got. Too early for number variations.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
i went to 1001 only because I couldn't see the conditon of the backs  I asked for pictures but there was no response

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
Okay guys, I hear you. If you want to call me the Blowhard. I can live with that. It's not a big deal.

On the subject of the auction, many of the non sport items went for significantly less than the estimates. But those estimates were made based on the fact that the original auction of sports related items was so aggressive. I did bid on that box, but dropped out on the last night around 9 P.M. when I decided to focus on 3 different items. I wanted that box, but I really don't collect that issue -- I just focus on the first 16 series and the die cuts, nothing else.

By the way, I do hope that Eric got the box -- if so, it would be nice if the packs made their way into the hobby on the secondary market. But I suspect the winner will open them and then grade them.

If I had gotten the box, I would have sold the packs individually -- ungraded.