Author Topic: More POSTCARD SKETCH CARD Variations!!!  (Read 40500 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: More POSTCARD SKETCH CARD Variations!!!
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:46 AM »
A apologize, I didn't do a very good job of formulating my question in the previous post. Since I don't have full sets of some of the Postcard sets, I don't have a lot to compare against. In the earlier LE sets, as you know, Neil actually hand numbered the sets with his name on each Limited Edition postcard. Maybe that stopped sometimes in the series. I only know that none of the Series 6B LE postcards I received are numbered in any way They are distinguishable from the postcards from the regular set only in that they don't contain the copyright on the front. I just wondered if that was the same in 6A and earlier postcard sets. I do like the trend that was started in the 4th series set where title associated artwork is also on the back of each postcard so the backs are  not all identical within a set.
Series 3 was the last set where the postcards were hand numbered and signed, since with series 4 there were more artists, and numbering and signing the sets would have involved coordinating between the 5 artists.  Instead, starting with Series 4, Topps started including a COA.

Aside from the lack of a copyright on the fronts of the LE sets, the backs of series 1-5 do say 'Limited Edition Postcards' under the Wacky Packages logo, where the regular sets simply say 'Postcards'.  With Series 6, they changed the Wacky logo on the back to include the word postcards, so the LE set just says 'Limited Edition', and the regular edition has nothing in that spot.  The difference between 6a and 6b Limited Edition sets is the Topps logo at the top left on the back - it's white in 6a, and red in 6b.  So, technically, to have all of them, you do need a set of each.

As for the title associated artwork on the backs that started with series 4, I think it's a really nice feature.  But, the backs of series 1-3 sets are not identical even though there is no art, since the title and 'number', such as 'No. 3 of 3, "Weaky Packages"', are along the vertical line in all of the series, followed by artist info.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:18:31 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »
Is anyone concerned about resealed envelopes? What if someone decided to buy a bunch of sets and review the sketches before re-gluing and selling less desirable items? Can we tell? Should we care?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »
No reason to be concerned.  Isn't every seller out there ethical and honest?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
Is anyone concerned about resealed envelopes? What if someone decided to buy a bunch of sets and review the sketches before re-gluing and selling less desirable items? Can we tell? Should we care?

I think it's a definite concern, although not a big one because 95% of the postcard sets get opened up. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »
Thought I'd share this sketch with all my Wacky friends here since it seems different from the other Captain Moron's already posted.  I think it's a really nice one.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »
[quote author]
Thought I'd share this sketch with all my Wacky friends here since it seems different from the other Captain Moron's already posted.  I think it's a really nice one.
[/quote]

Sweet! Nice pull or trade or purchase or forgery.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »
When did you get that one?

Online bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
Sweet! Nice pull or trade or purchase or forgery.
Why forgery?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2010, 05:09:30 PM »
Why forgery?
Sorry, just a bad joke. I guess I shouldn't joke about things like that!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »

That's a real beaut!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »

That's f%*#ing awesome!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
I'm glad I don't purchase a set of these cards and hope to turn a profit by selling the sketch card. The one I received looked as if someone at Topps sent the artist for a taxi ride down the bumpiest part of Broadway and had him draw. Nice? Yes. Glad I have it? Yes. As good as some posted on here? No.
There's no way Topps paid for that taxi ride.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »

LOL!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »

Don't be offended.

Read my next two posts which followed the original. Pink Eye or whatever it was (I'm not an MD/DO so my self diagnosis may not be entirely accurate) made me look at the card as if it was all squiggly. Reviewing it sometime later had me looking upon it much differently.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
Assuming they go with wrappers again for future postcard series, my suggestion to Neil is to use a glue that causes the wrapper to rip a little to show evidence it was opened. This should help in recognizing resealed packs. It may not be a big deal for series 6 but some future series might hold items that inspire major pack searching and resealing.

Offline Kook

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:39 AM »
Pat, That's a really nice sketch! I like the shipwreck & beach detail. I have a similar sketch - larger bottle less background detail.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2010, 07:07:13 AM »
I don't understand the problem here. Is there more value in terms of the uncertainty of which sketch card is included with post cards then knowing what card is included? This drives people to claim the set is sealed when it may not be?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:11 AM »
I don't understand the problem here. Is there more value in terms of the uncertainty of which sketch card is included with post cards then knowing what card is included? This drives people to claim the set is sealed when it may not be?

Collectors want certain sketches so that is why they may go for an unsearched pack. Basically it's the combo and color sketches that people are after because they are generally in short supply.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:21 AM »
Of course people would prefer the color sketches or a particular sketch but is the speculation and chance worth the extra cash? Are we trading commodities and futures or wacky packages? I have a hard time thinking my set should be worth more sealed as opposed to opened. Most people are going to open these sets as soon as they receive them and I'd venture to say most people won't get the card they would prefer.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
Pat, That's a really nice sketch! I like the shipwreck & beach detail. I have a similar sketch - larger bottle less background detail.

I like your Captain Moron sketch, too.  The bottle and fish are really well done!

Offline Kook

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:57 AM »
I like your Captain Moron sketch, too.  The bottle and fish are really well done!
Thanks. I wonder if anyone else has any bottle sketches vs the capt sketches??

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
There's a 2nd series post card set listed right now with a B-I-N of $49.99. Low number as well.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »
There's a 2nd series post card set listed right now with a B-I-N of $49.99. Low number as well.

For some reason series 2 & 3 are not as hot as the others. I really don't know why.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
For some reason series 2 & 3 are not as hot as the others. I really don't know why.

I would think better sketches and bonus cards in the "after series 3" postcards... :-X

Offline Kook

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
I think series 2 & 3 just lack some things the other postcard series have. Series 1 is the 1st, VERY low production, and didn't get well distributed (because of what I heard about 1 person buying a big chunk). Series 4, and progressively more in series 5 and 6 have had a big variety of interesting sketches by several artists. With there being so many 1 offs (I know everybody... every sketch is a one off...) of different designs, combos, and now color & super combos, this has added to the desirability of these sets (my opinion). Sets 2 & 3 are only 3 designs, done by 1 artist with not a lot of variation. The designs are nice, just not as buzzworthy as sets 1, 4, 5 & 6. That said, they are still selling for more than they sold for from topps.

Offline Kook

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »
Of course people would prefer the color sketches or a particular sketch but is the speculation and chance worth the extra cash? Are we trading commodities and futures or wacky packages? I have a hard time thinking my set should be worth more sealed as opposed to opened. Most people are going to open these sets as soon as they receive them and I'd venture to say most people won't get the card they would prefer.

Look at the old school auctions. You probably couldn't get $30 for a box of old school WITH an ajerx or aquax showing, yet unopened old school boxes are going between $80 to $100 with the hope of getting a $1000 color sketch. That's a $50+ lottery effect. It appears the postcard sets also have a $50 to $75 "lottery effect" as well depending on what sketch you are talking about.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »
Ok, I *just* saw this thread and have to say that these sketches (the ones at the start of the thread -- I haven't read through all the pages yet) are the best overall I've seen -- they're FANTASTIC!!

These are really what I always envisioned the sketch cards being -- small works of art. I love the wolf in heaven! And the interactions with all the characters from the series (the Wacky Food Chain is hilarious!). Love the diversity in the cards.

Just plain great.

So now I'm officially into these. :D

And it's wonderful to be able to see them all!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:23:52 PM by Ducko »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
Ok, I *just* saw this thread and have to say that these sketches (the ones at the start of the thread -- I haven't read through all the pages yet) are the best overall I've seen -- they're FANTASTIC!!

These are really what I always envisioned the sketch cards being -- small works of art. I love the wolf in heaven! And the interactions with all the characters from the series (the Wacky Food Chain is hilarious!). Love the diversity in the cards.

Just plain great.

So now I'm officially into these. :D

And it's wonderfulto be able to see them all!

That's why it's a great thing when forum members post their sketch scans, we can all see cool Wacky stuff!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
That's why it's a great thing when forum members post their sketch scans, we can all see cool Wacky stuff!

And Drool... :P

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »

You're right about the fact that most of these get opened anyways but Brad's point is also correct.  There are many variables with these sketches, and some were done in less quantity.  Neil's multi-combos is a good example.  Would that have the same value as a Alpha-Bytes?  There's a bunch of Alpha's on ebay right now not selling at under $100.00.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »
You're right about the fact that most of these get opened anyways but Brad's point is also correct.  There are many variables with these sketches, and some were done in less quantity.  Neil's multi-combos is a good example.  Would that have the same value as a Alpha-Bytes?  There's a bunch of Alpha's on ebay right now not selling at under $100.00.

There are many variables driving the prices of these postcards including but not limited to the sketches. I think just about everyone would prefer an unopened, unmolested set if possible even if they knew what sketch was included. I've never been one to buy into speculation though. What is a certainty is the high prices people are paying for these sets, opened and unopened.

One very quick, impromptu search showed two alpha bytes skectches both at a bid double of what topps sold a limited edition set. I'd say that's a good price for what it is and even moreso when you compare it to other sketch cards.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
There are many variables driving the prices of these postcards including but not limited to the sketches. I think just about everyone would prefer an unopened, unmolested set if possible even if they knew what sketch was included. I've never been one to buy into speculation though. What is a certainty is the high prices people are paying for these sets, opened and unopened.

One very quick, impromptu search showed two alpha bytes skectches both at a bid double of what topps sold a limited edition set. I'd say that's a good price for what it is and even moreso when you compare it to other sketch cards.

I hear you...but the Alpha Bytes sketches are my least favorite ones...seems more like a doodle...I guess I would sell or trade mine for a H8 - which I like much better..

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2010, 10:51:10 AM »

Now that the dust has settled with series 6 I came up a little short getting all of the titles but I came close, and will have to hope they might surface in the future.  I would have liked to get them all before ANS7 releases but that probably won't happen. Anyway here are my final series 6 yellows................

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »

and here are the reds.....................

Offline Kook

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
Now that the dust has settled with series 6 I came up a little short getting all of the titles but I came close, and will have to hope they might surface in the future.  I would have liked to get them all before ANS7 releases but that probably won't happen. Anyway here are my final series 6 yellows................
I like that Maulboro! Almost there!! Good luck!