Author Topic: More POSTCARD SKETCH CARD Variations!!!  (Read 40452 times)

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
Re: More POSTCARD SKETCH CARD Variations!!!
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2010, 06:17:19 PM »
"So much product" is a bit vague and ambiguous. There was alot of product between all of the various companies selling baseball cards unlike today where Topps doesn't have any real competition in the satire market. Lets also not dismiss the MLB strike and stoppages which happened during the 90's.

All valid points.  I would say the baseball card hobby was just about at the tipping point even before the '94-95 strike....the stoppage just gave it a nice big push off the ledge.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
August 4, 1993 was the last time I ever set foot into a MLB venue. Ricky Henderson tried stealing 3rd base against the New York Yankees and the place went bonkers when he was thrown out. A few minutes later the screen in the outfield showed Nolan Ryan kicking the living hell out of Robin Ventura and the same crowd went absolutely insane. A year later the Yankees were about to win the AL East for the first time in a while and money got the best of alot of people. On that day, I vowed to never follow MLB again nor would I ever buy another pack of cards. Sixteen years later and I haven't broken my promise.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2010, 10:18:56 PM »
August 4, 1993 was the last time I ever set foot into a MLB venue. Ricky Henderson tried stealing 3rd base against the New York Yankees and the place went bonkers when he was thrown out. A few minutes later the screen in the outfield showed Nolan Ryan kicking the living hell out of Robin Ventura and the same crowd went absolutely insane. A year later the Yankees were about to win the AL East for the first time in a while and money got the best of alot of people. On that day, I vowed to never follow MLB again nor would I ever buy another pack of cards. Sixteen years later and I haven't broken my promise.
I gave up watching pro-Football after watching the 49'ers and their umpteenth perfect game (the one with the "perfect drive"). Was the best football I had ever seen. Never watched another game after that.

Seemed like $$$ became more important than the game after that, and eventually became the seeming motivation for all pro-sports -- and pretty much everything else for that matter. Guess it simply lost its soul for me (business first -- game second).

Luckily I rediscovered Wackys. As long as they have a soul I'll keep collecting. ;D

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
I gave up watching pro-Football after watching the 49'ers and their umpteenth perfect game (the one with the "perfect drive"). Was the best football I had ever seen. Never watched another game after that.

Seemed like $$$ became more important than the game after that, and eventually became the seeming motivation for all pro-sports -- and pretty much everything else for that matter. Guess it simply lost its soul for me (business first -- game second).

Luckily I rediscovered Wackys. As long as they have a soul I'll keep collecting. ;D

I thought of bailing on baseball and football too due to strikes and greed and such but I realized I enjoy them and I was only penalizing myself by boycotting them.  I am already sweating wondering how much of the 2011 football season is going to be lost due to the lockout that most definitely is coming.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
I thought of bailing on baseball and football too due to strikes and greed and such but I realized I enjoy them and I was only penalizing myself by boycotting them.  I am already sweating wondering how much of the 2011 football season is going to be lost due to the lockout that most definitely is coming.

What's coming up in the NFL for a lockout?  I am a casual football fan, used to be more of a fan but have kids now so don't watch as much.  The whole thing with the "replacement players" in the 1980's and then the baseball strike in (1995?) kind of burned me out for awhile.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
What's coming up in the NFL for a lockout?  I am a casual football fan, used to be more of a fan but have kids now so don't watch as much.  The whole thing with the "replacement players" in the 1980's and then the baseball strike in (1995?) kind of burned me out for awhile.
I will comment on the NFL lockout in the football talk thread, cool?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this...........the Postcard series sketch cards are not the typical 3.5" high, they are actually 3.5625", or 3-9/16".  It doesn't sound like much but it creates a problem when you want to put them into recessed screwdowns or snaptites.  The card doesn't fit properly so you would damage the card if you tightened it down and didn't notice it.  Any holder that is designed for 2.5" x 3.5" cards won't work. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this...........the Postcard series sketch cards are not the typical 3.5" high, they are actually 3.5625", or 3-9/16".  It doesn't sound like much but it creates a problem when you want to put them into recessed screwdowns or snaptites.  The card doesn't fit properly so you would damage the card if you tightened it down and didn't notice it.  Any holder that is designed for 2.5" x 3.5" cards won't work. 

Interesting. I wonder if that is how you can feel a pack for a sketch? I wonder if the autographed foils are the same way? I will have to check it out when I get home.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if that is how you can feel a pack for a sketch? I wonder if the autographed foils are the same way? I will have to check it out when I get home.

I just checked a ANS7 sketch and it's exactly 3.5" so it appears like it's just with the postcard sketches.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

It seems to only be my series 6 sketches that are 3-9/16", and I never noticed until you mentioned it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
It seems to only be my series 6 sketches that are 3-9/16", and I never noticed until you mentioned it.

Yup, me too, I thought I remembered the same issue with series 5 but they measure 3.5". 

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »
Yup, me too, I thought I remembered the same issue with series 5 but they measure 3.5". 

I noticed it and thought it quite strange.  I have all of my other sketches in "snap tites" except for this series because they were just a little too big.

anything