Author Topic: How do you display your Wackys?  (Read 28267 times)

Offline Lavirus

Re: How do you display your Wackys?
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
Dude, send me a PM with your address. I've got lots of doubles of Halloween stuff that I'm happy to share with you.

Online mikecho

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
Sounds tempting, Mitch. I'll think about it. Just let me take care of a few things concerning my binder and I will get back to you. By the way, questions: are these doubles of Halloween Postcards or Pack O' Fun cards? If the latter, I might be able to fit them in at the end of my binder by the time I'm through. You see, the next things that I intend to try to get are Crazy Cars (the one from Wonder Bread) and WP Chrome. That will give me a little bit of space left over. However, if the former, didn't the Halloween Postcards have at least two binders made especially for them? If so, that's the only way that I could fit those-and I don't even know if it (or they) would fit all five series, plus the 10 bonuses and the two special postcards that were only available with the regular editions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:34:15 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
The Halloween postcards and Packs of Fun are cards, not stickers.  For the postcards, Topps made one red binder, one yellow binder, and one special Halloween binder.

Online mikecho

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
Thanks, Pat, fixed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:37:03 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
The reason that I stopped after ANS8, was, basically, Wackys had "jumped the shark" to the point that, due to the numerous Collector Boxes and packs that had managed to appear and that I couldn't find anywhere no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. That and unemployment. (For more info on this, see my 9/9/17 post on "When did Wackys "jump the shark"?".) I only got ANS7 to finish the foil stickers and I only got ANS8 because one of its bonus stickers (B5) was actually mentioned on the back of one of ANS7's Wack-O-Mercial stickers (5 of 20) before it was even conceived, let alone made, and without the sticker, the joke was useless. Besides, I'm a simple man here-I only like to get basic black borders, none of those border variations, card variations or anything like that (I may be a completist, but not that much). I just prefer the basics, pure and simple. As for the Postcards, Halloween Postcards, OLDS, etc., most of that was only available online. I don't have the means or the ability to order anything online from my own computer, and even if I did, I can't do it-because I'm living with my parents thanks to the above-mentioned unemployment and they never buy or sell anything online because they are concerned with the problem of identity theft. As the saying goes, it's complicated. (By the way, I empathize with the cat thing-my sister-in-law is a cat lover and has at least 10 of them!) Finally, I've only got one binder-to save space, money and time my cards are 18 cards in nine pockets in each page (nine in the front and nine in the back) and there are only 100 pages in the binder. As soon as I fill it, or get close enough to doing so, I'll stop.

When I first read this post earlier, my first thoughts were, well, this is kind of curious.  A collector who imposes strict limitations on his collecting.  Personally, I couldn't do that.  From my point of view, the collecting ends when there is nothing more to collect.  This is not an insult, mind.  Moreover, the more I digested your words, the more I came to admire your simplicity.  True, Wackys do take up space, money, and time.  In fact, they can often become overwhelming. 

All kidding aside, I could run up to my attic to check on certain titles when I am posting one of my wordy ideas, however more often than not, I don't.  Why?  Because there are simply too darn many.  Even though they are organized, there are too many to go through.  I am pretty familiar with the original series titles, however after the ANS began, things just became too crazy, too fast.  I'm just not talking about all of the parallels, but also all of the titles in general: the same products being parodied 3 or 4 times over, the various subsets, bonus cards, flashback repetitions, generic products, etc., etc., etc..  We're all familiar how the list goes on and on.  It was all just too much to keep up with, kind of like a Wacky overload, kind of like a big blur.  Also, many titles in the later sets I found to be "lacking" in humor, artistry, etc..  (Again, another all-too-familiar list that goes on and on.)  Consequently, I have many sets that I rarely bother to look it.  This bothers me to even make such a statement, yet it is true.  And, yes, if I am to be honest with myself, sometimes I wonder why I even continue to collect.  To own even more sets that I don't bother with?  I suppose the answer is two-fold: 1) I am a completist, and 2) I don't want to miss out on certain titles that stand out above the rest.

I have to give you credit for drawing a line.  You can appreciate more fully the titles you do have, and not become disillusioned and/or even aggravated by subpar titles.  When the "movie" set comes out, I will probably purchase it - with reservations, though.  I fear it might resemble something like:

For obvious reasons, this was something that I didn't exactly wholeheartedly jump for joy about.  Being a simple man with simple wants, you might say, "Nah, I'll pass on the upcoming movie set."  And, as stated before, I admire you for that.  As for myself, though, alas, I am weak.

As far as the Halloween sets go, you would probably need a separate binder with various types of pocket pages to accommodate the various size/shape cards that came out over the years.

I also have to check out that B5 title you referenced.  You've piqued my interest.  A little bit later, though.  Right now, I have to feed the cats...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:57:18 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
I only got ANS8 because one of its bonus stickers (B5) was actually mentioned on the back of one of ANS7's Wack-O-Mercial stickers (5 of 20) before it was even conceived, let alone made, and without the sticker, the joke was useless.

Good eye!  Interesting observation.  And you're right, the joke doesn't really make sense without the second title.  They don't look like they were done by the same artist, however I wonder if the same concept artist created both - and had both ideas in mind?  Or possibly a second artist picked up on the original joke and then created a parody?  This, however, doesn't explain why the original joke was created to begin with.  Or maybe B5 was created for ANS7, yet discarded (to avoid having two octopus gags) and picked up again as a bonus sticker for ANS8?  Perhaps we'll never know.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:06:00 AM by Baked Bears »

Online mikecho

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
You know, now that I think of it, you know what would've made me actually get ANS9? If the 20 Awful Apps had been all together in one subset in the same series, instead of splitting them up into two subsets between this one and ANS10. Then there'd be a complete subset of online subjects that would compliment the 52 Wacky Websites card backs in ANS1, ANS2, ANS3 and ANS4 and the three Wacky Websites stickers in ANS7 (I can't prove it, but I think that the stickers just may have been planned as card backs for one or more of the first four series, but never made the final cut. I guess we'll never know).   UPDATE: I just realized that the total number of Wacky Websites is 55-does anyone else besides me see that this was the number for a typical Wacky series at the time and that maybe it was possible that this just may have been a potential sticker series? Endless possibilities here, hmmmmmm...?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:42:03 AM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
Good eye!  Interesting observation.  And you're right, the joke doesn't really make sense without the second title.  They don't look like they were done by the same artist, however I wonder if the same concept artist created both - and had both ideas in mind?  Or possibly a second artist picked up on the original joke and then created a parody?  This, however, doesn't explain why the original joke was created to begin with.  Or maybe B5 was created for ANS7, yet discarded (to avoid having two octopus gags) and picked up again as a bonus sticker for ANS8?  Perhaps we'll never know.

I just did some further investigating and found this out: this wasn't the first time that this might've been done in the ANS run. ANS4 was going to have a Wacky called Homely Bunches of Goats, a.k.a Honey Bunches of Oats (and it was done twice by two different artists, namely Neil Camera and Fred Wheaton) but Quicker Instant Goatmeal was in the same series and, as a result, it was never released (probably because Topps thought having two goat parodies in the same series would be redundant (thus being similar to your third theory, Baked Bears)). It was finally published in Postcards 9, but the name was changed to Hungry Bunches of Goats and, IIRC, the art was different. In this case, too, we'll probably never know one way or another.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:43:00 PM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
The reason that I stopped after ANS8, was, basically, Wackys had "jumped the shark" to the point that, due to the numerous Collector Boxes and packs that had managed to appear and that I couldn't find anywhere no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. That and unemployment. (For more info on this, see my 9/9/17 post on "When did Wackys "jump the shark?"".) I only got ANS7 to finish the foil stickers and the Wacky Websites and I only got ANS8 because one of its bonus stickers (B5) was actually mentioned on the back of one of ANS7's Wack-O-Mercial stickers (5 of 20) before it was even conceived, let alone made, and without the sticker, the joke was useless. Besides, I'm a simple man here-I only like to get basic black borders, none of those border variations, card variations or anything like that (I may be a completist, but not that much of one). I just prefer the basics, pure and simple. As for the Postcards, Halloween Postcards, OLDS, etc., most of that was only available online. I don't have the means or the ability to order anything online from my own computer, and even if I did, I can't do it-because I'm living with my parents thanks to the above-mentioned unemployment and they never buy or sell anything online because they are concerned with the problem of identity theft. As the saying goes, it's complicated. (By the way, I empathize with the cat thing-my sister-in-law is a cat lover and has at least 10 of them!) Finally, I've only got one binder-to save space, money and time my cards are 18 cards in nine pockets in each page (nine in the front and nine in the back) and there are only 100 pages in the binder. As soon as I fill it, or get close enough to doing so, I'll stop.
Congratulate me! I'm just about finished! I just got Mars Attacks Heritage promo card P11, all four of the MA puzzle promos (the originals and the errors) plus two MA-related promos (a third one is on its way) and the 20-card series Crazy Cars from Wonder Bread. I'm in the process of getting Wacky Packages Chrome Series 1, after which I'll have only seven empty pockets left (mainly because I added one extra page to the 100 already in there and believe me, that's about all that I can do without running the risk of overloading the binder), plus two more for the two promo cards from Panini for the 1992 series Hockey Freaks (can anyone help me out on this one at all?). I'm possibly thinking of getting the Abrams Planet of the Apes book and filling in four of the spaces; if I do, I'll let everyone know. I bought the 1970s PotA cards back in the day and, as far as I know, never completed or kept the series. Maybe if I get a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas that's anything between $40 and $50, I'll consider it.   UPDATE:The third MA-related promo is in the binder! Only WP Chrome Series 1 remains.   UPDATE 2: Success at last! WP Chrome Series 1 is in the binder and it's done, except for nine spaces! (For the reason for the difference in space numbers, see my last post in "1992 Hockey Freaks promo cards by Panini".)   UPDATE 3: I  just bought the two Mars Attacks hardcover novels from the 1990s and they have four more MA cards! I've got some spare pockets that I can put them in and I've still got nine spaces left.   UPDATE 4: I just got the MA books and accompanying cards. The cards are in the binder and (are you guys ready for this?) the books are first printings/first editions and are in excellent shape! Can't wait to read them! Still got only nine spaces left, though!   UPDATE 5: The MA books were really good reads! These are definitely keepers. UPDATE 6: Got one final series: Uranus Strikes!, a non-Topps parody of Mars Attacks. I heard a lot of good things about this one and, since it was kinda-sorta connected with Mars Attacks, I couldn't resist it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:21:16 PM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
On second thought, I'll most likely save the aforementioned four spaces for the four bonus stickers from the third Abrams Wacky Packages book that Duzn't and I have been waiting for for so long. I've even got an idea of what they'll put in it to make it a decent book: the 15th, 16th, 1985 and 1991 series (the last one with all of the Crazy Coupons that came with it).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:09:41 PM by mikecho »

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
I was a HUGE baseball/hockey fan back in the day, but now am gravitating back to non-sports; mostly Wackys.
I can almost "taste" those pack-opening-days back in the 70's every time I look at one of those series 1-5 cards.
Here is a shot of my art room closet.  I tore apart an Abrams calendar years ago and plastered the pages to the back wall.
This closet has most of my stuff.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:38:17 PM by 6_Fooey_Ounces »

Online mikecho

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
Since I've got nine spaces left, I've decided to get the Abrams Planet of the Apes book after all and then wait for the third Wacky Packages book so that I can fill in eight of them. That is, if Abrams doesn't manage to make the 60th Anniversary Mars Attacks book that I'd like them to make in 2022, this time including the Deleted Scenes and Guide to the New Universe subsets from MA Heritage in 2012 (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge).   UPDATE: I just put in an request to buy the four 1988 Mars Attacks Pocket Comics trading cards. I hope that someone here can help me out. Wish me luck!   UPDATE 2: I finally got the Abrams Planet of the Apes book and it's excellent! It included not only the 1968 and 1975 Topps series, but also a 2001 series that I didn't even know existed! The four bonus cards are in place and all that's left is the MA Pocket Comics cards. Hope to have them soon!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:33:46 AM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »

You left off the back of Octivia, which has the joke on it, and put in the back of Oct Tentacle Care by mistake. Just thought you'd like to know (unless you meant to put in both backs and just forgot the first one).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:05:24 PM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
You left off the back of Octivia, which has the joke on it, and put in the back of Oct Tentacle Care by mistake. Just thought you'd like to know (unless you meant to put in both backs and just forgot the first one).
Did you get this message, BB?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
Did you get this message, BB?

Actually, I just grabbed the first decent images I could find.  (I was probably rushed, as usual.)  In your original post, you had already explained the phenomenon, so I didn't bother with the back of the "Octivia" card.  The second photograph of "Oct Tenticle Care" just happened to feature both sides of the card, which is how the back came into play.   However, for the complete record and purposes of enlightenment:

Online mikecho

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
Thank you. That'll sure help.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
Just saw this post and wanted to add a few notes to your excellent research. As Rob has deduced, the same writer (me) did both the Oct art and the Wacky Back for Octivia. What's interesting is that Oct was created first for ANS7, but didn't appear until ANS8 as a bonus card, when the Wacky back was also printed. Unfortunately, I think the reference got lost on most people since not everyone collects the bonus cards...

Online mikecho

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
Just saw this post and wanted to add a few notes to your excellent research. As Rob has deduced, the same writer (me) did both the Oct art and the Wacky Back for Octivia. What's interesting is that Oct was created first for ANS7, but didn't appear until ANS8 as a bonus card, when the Wacky back was also printed. Unfortunately, I think the reference got lost on most people since not everyone collects the bonus cards...
Thanks, Neil! Do you have any info on the two goat Wackys, Quicker Instant Goatmeal and Hungry Bunches of Goats that I mentioned on my 10-1 post? Specifically, who did the artwork for both of them? (The rest of the story is there on the aforementioned post.)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Hungry Bunches of Goats was painted by Matthew Kirscht for the postcards. I believe Quicker Instant Goatmeal was painted by Fred Wheaton.

Online mikecho

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2018, 03:10:34 PM »
Hungry Bunches of Goats was painted by Matthew Kirscht for the postcards. I believe Quicker Instant Goatmeal was painted by Fred Wheaton.
Thanks again, Neil!

Online mikecho

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »
Well, I'll start a new thing here. Not only did I get the four Abrams Planet of the Apes book bonus cards, but I also got the three bonus trading cards from Wacky Halloween Postcards 2009 (H1, H2 and H3), and, with any luck, I'll finally get the two Hockey Freaks promo cards that I've been looking for! My binder is this close to completion! Wish me luck!   UPDATE: Congratulate me, for I've just made a $5.00 bid on the promo cards and will probably know if I got them tomorrow! I can just taste victory right now!   UPDATE 2: The Hockey Freaks promo cards are in (all that remains is the payment (9.01) which'll be sent in this Friday), but the three Halloween Postcards bonus cards went back into the Halloween Postcards (which has been expanded beyond my wildest dreams-thank you again, Mitch!). Now I've got three spaces open again. Any ideas on what I can fill them with?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:41:31 PM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
At last! It's finished! The entire Hockey Freaks series is done today! However, as mentioned before, I've only got three spaces left. Oh well-not everything is fillable. But my trading card binder is, for all intents and purposes, done at last!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »
A nine pocket trading card page is less than one millimeter thick.  Surely you could squeeze in one or two more!

But rather than that, would you like me to send you a second binder?  Just think how better organized your cards could be!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:05:46 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »

Quicker Instant Goatmeal was one of the three I painted for ANS4 (the other two were Pupsodent and Dum 'n' Old Sugar)

Online mikecho

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
A nine pocket trading card page is less than one millimeter thick.  Surely you could squeeze in one or two more!

But rather than that, would you like me to send you a second binder?  Just think how better organized your cards could be!
Thanks, BB, but no thanks. As I've stated above on this post, one 103-page binder filled to the brim with trading cards of various series is more than enough and not only can I not afford to keep it up, even if I wanted to (which I really don't), but I'm really quite happy with what I've got right now, and I guess that's all there is to be said. As you said before, you gave me credit for drawing a line and I'm sticking to it...and that's all that I can do. I really don't have any other choice.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:15:57 PM by mikecho »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2018, 04:39:25 AM »
My aunt was moving, and she let me have this Oakley case that she got from her work. The Wackys have taken it over.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »
That's a nice display!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2018, 07:08:02 AM »
That case belongs in a museum!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:39:52 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
My aunt was moving, and she let me have this Oakley case that she got from her work. The Wackys have taken it over.

Nice curio cabinet you have there.  And some sweet curios in it!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2018, 04:34:04 AM »
Thanks everyone. I have wanted a good display for Wackys for a while now, and this is great.

Now I am on the hunt for small easels for my unopened packs on the top and maybe the PSA cards. Also would love to get another OS box for the case other than the 7th, and replace on of my patches boxes but you don't come across OS boxes everyday so... That can wait.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2018, 05:46:04 AM »
Thanks everyone. I have wanted a good display for Wackys for a while now, and this is great.

Now I am on the hunt for small easels for my unopened packs on the top and maybe the PSA cards. Also would love to get another OS box for the case other than the 7th, and replace on of my patches boxes but you don't come across OS boxes everyday so... That can wait.

Ultra Pro makes some nice little acrylic stands - you can see some examples on ebay.

Online mikecho

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »

It looks like only the bottom half of the cabinet is shown here. Can you please take a picture of the top half?

By the way, it looks great! What exactly is in there?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:06:52 AM by mikecho »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
It looks like only the bottom half of the cabinet is shown here. Can you please take a picture of the top half?

By the way, it looks great! What exactly is in there?

Nope, that's all. The Wacky Packages book is on the top shelf, along with my OS packs which I want the easels for. Below that are a couple boxes, one OS. PSA cards below that. Then, a plethora of ANS boxes and a Patches box. Below that, on the bottom, another Patches box and my patches incomplete set.

Offline chipereno

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the Wacky Room..

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2018, 04:18:21 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of the Wacky Room..

Man! That 12th Series sheet! And those OS boxes! And all of those Flashback boxes! Plus that OS case! Awesome stuff!

anything