Author Topic: How do you display your Wackys?  (Read 28262 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

How do you display your Wackys?
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
I wanna do something interesting. I wonder how all of you display your collection. If you do have a cool display case or something, feel free to post it! Here's my "display"

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:39:16 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: How do you display your Wackys?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
That's an impressive collection!  There are some threads here showing displays - if I have the time, I'll find links and post them for you.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
That's an impressive collection!  There are some threads here showing displays - if I have the time, I'll find links and post them for you.

Thanks!! It's definitely not as expansive as others' collections, but I'm trying to get there.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
I don't really display anything....except on special occasions.. :D

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:51:21 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »
I wanna do something interesting. I wonder how all of you display your collection. If you do have a cool display case or something, feel free to post it! Here's my "display"

Although you believe your display might be "lacking," your collection is extremely nice and orderly.  And the moment I saw it, I thought, "Man, if that was mine, my cats would have it trashed in no time!"  Top loaders batted about like hockey pucks and scattered across the floor, erasers lost under the fridge, complete chaos in 60 seconds or less!  Consequently, my "display" is housed in my walk-in attic, each series in its own 3-ring binder.  The rest - cereal boxes, etc. - I keep in plastic tubs and memento boxes where any dust and sunlight can't get to them.  (Sunlight, even ambient sunlight, is my biggest fear when it comes to my collections.  It's patient and sneaky like a creeping disease, and I've seen what it can do over time.  Because of this, I keep most of my house dim, particularly those rooms in which I have vintage rock posters and picture discs on the walls.  I was told that there is a UV resistant glass, but I still have yet to check into it thoroughly.  Something to consider, though.)

But back to your original question...

I would recommend not displaying your entire collection, but rather select pieces that you hold dear and/or wish to share with others.  Sometimes I see various display cases for sale at flea markets, yard sales, and local Good Will and church thrift stores and the like.  Sometimes they're crap, yet other times they're pretty decent.  (I've picked up a few here and there for my classroom, and they've worked out well.  If you found one with internal lights, even better.  A hutch with glass doors might be another option, if you have the room.  You could display your favorite pieces up top and use the cabinets below for storage.  In addition, hutches with glass doors usually have lights.  (Plus they keep out dust.)  A barrister bookcase would also serve the same purpose, though these have glass doors from top to bottom.

Finally, you could also frame some of your pieces and hang them on the wall.  (Just be careful about the sunlight.)  Might be a little pricey, but craft stores such as AC Moore, Michael's, and maybe Hobby Lobby will custom cut a matte for you so you could display multiple cards in one larger frame.

Hope this was of some help.

Oh, and like your "Gums!"

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
Not much display space devoted to Wacky's at present.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
Although you believe your display might be "lacking," your collection is extremely nice and orderly.  And the moment I saw it, I thought, "Man, if that was mine, my cats would have it trashed in no time!"  Top loaders batted about like hockey pucks and scattered across the floor, erasers lost under the fridge, complete chaos in 60 seconds or less!  Consequently, my "display" is housed in my walk-in attic, each series in its own 3-ring binder.  The rest - cereal boxes, etc. - I keep in plastic tubs and memento boxes where any dust and sunlight can't get to them.  (Sunlight, even ambient sunlight, is my biggest fear when it comes to my collections.  It's patient and sneaky like a creeping disease, and I've seen what it can do over time.  Because of this, I keep most of my house dim, particularly those rooms in which I have vintage rock posters and picture discs on the walls.  I was told that there is a UV resistant glass, but I still have yet to check into it thoroughly.  Something to consider, though.)

But back to your original question...

I would recommend not displaying your entire collection, but rather select pieces that you hold dear and/or wish to share with others.  Sometimes I see various display cases for sale at flea markets, yard sales, and local Good Will and church thrift stores and the like.  Sometimes they're crap, yet other times they're pretty decent.  (I've picked up a few here and there for my classroom, and they've worked out well.  If you found one with internal lights, even better.  A hutch with glass doors might be another option, if you have the room.  You could display your favorite pieces up top and use the cabinets below for storage.  In addition, hutches with glass doors usually have lights.  (Plus they keep out dust.)  A barrister bookcase would also serve the same purpose, though these have glass doors from top to bottom.

Finally, you could also frame some of your pieces and hang them on the wall.  (Just be careful about the sunlight.)  Might be a little pricey, but craft stores such as AC Moore, Michael's, and maybe Hobby Lobby will custom cut a matte for you so you could display multiple cards in one larger frame.

Hope this was of some help.

Oh, and like your "Gums!"

I used to keep all of my OS stuff in binders, but I switched to toploaders due to the pages warping some of my cards.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »
I used to keep all of my OS stuff in binders, but I switched to toploaders due to the pages warping some of my cards.

Good choice.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »
Not much display space devoted to Wacky's at present.

Your 15th and 16th binders are transposed. Please rectify this!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

Good idea, as binders do present a problem.

I am a very "visual" person and need to see everything.  Otherwise, out of sight, of of mind.  Consequently, my surroundings are very "busy."  This might make things even more confusing, though, which is I must always strive to adhere to the adage "A place for everything, and everything in its place." This is why all of my WP have to be in one place - in my case, my attic.  To maintain order - and my own sanity.  And even though I might not be able to see, say, "Frosted Snakes," I know it is inside the binder labeled ANS1 - which I can see.  It's in plain view on the shelf.

To me, though, this is not "displaying" Frosted Snakes.  Or, let's say, it's not doing the title any real justice.  If I were to display Frosted Snakes, I would have a separate shelf or deep glass-covered frame housing the original title, a copy of Jay's original rough, the mini cereal box, the eraser, and the Kooky Patch.  I would need a veritable museum, though, to do this with everything.

In my opinion, "displaying" means to put something out there for everyone to marvel at, behold, and appreciate.  Like paintings in a museum.  If they took all of the paintings, though, and slide them all into vertical compartments along a wall, I don't care if the compartments were made of marble or mahogany edged with gold filigree, it still wouldn't be much of a display.

As far as displaying your entire collection, I'm afraid you are in the same boat as the rest of us:  Shelves, cabinets, closets, etc..  Even if you had an entire room devoted to WP, this would still probably be the case.

Again, though, I'd recommend taking a small handful of your favorite WP and displaying them like works of art (which they are) in a museum.  Make it impressive, though.  Top loaders and binders (in my case) are great for storage, yet don't exactly set the world on fire.  (Case in point:  Your "Gums."  I noticed and admired it because it was on display.  What i didn't get to notice and admire were the hundreds of other titles inside the top loaders and binders.)  Also, you could also switch out your displays from time to time, have an open house, and invite us all over for cocktails and hor d'oeuvres.  (Or maybe just keep it simple and BYOB.)

Rob

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:07:01 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »

To me, though, this is not "displaying" Frosted Snakes.  Or, let's say, it's not doing the title any real justice.  If I were to display Frosted Snakes, I would have a separate shelf or deep glass-covered frame housing the original title, a copy of Jay's original rough, the mini cereal box, the eraser, and the Kooky Patch.  I would need a veritable museum, though, to do this with everything.

In my opinion, "displaying" means to put something out there for everyone to marvel at, behold, and appreciate.  Like paintings in a museum.
As far as displaying your entire collection, I'm afraid you are in the same boat as the rest of us:  Shelves, cabinets, closets, etc..  Even if you had an entire room devoted to WP, this would still probably be the case.

Again, though, I'd recommend taking a small handful of your favorite WP and displaying them like works of art (which they are) in a museum.

Maybe all us forum members could rent a place somewhere and put our prized possessions there... It could be the Wacky Packages Forum Museum...  ;D

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
Maybe all us forum members could rent a place somewhere and put our prized possessions there... It could be the Wacky Packages Forum Museum...  ;D

Yes, it would be nice, wouldn't it?  (And at least once a year, all the WP Forum members would have to make a pilgrimage there to pay homage.)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »
Yes, it would be nice, wouldn't it?  (And at least once a year, all the WP Forum members would have to make a pilgrimage there to pay homage.)

Yeah.

Offline The Collector

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »

I love how the display turned out. Great way to display a punched 50 year out set (plus 2 replacements). Of course it has UV protected Plexiglas as well.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:22:21 PM by The Collector »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 05:36:21 PM »

I love how the display turned out. Great way to display a punched 50 year out set (plus 2 replacements). Of course it has UV protected Plexiglas as well.

Nice display!

Is this yours?  Did you make the case yourself?

Talk to me about the UV glass.  Where did you purchase it from?  Size?  Expense?  Do you know if it will provide 100% protection against fading?

Thanks!

Offline The Collector

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Bought directly from Vendor but they sell on ebay and Amazon as well. You can google "Pennzoni displays"

PENNZONI DISPLAY
pennzoni@voyager.net

Description                                             Quantity   Price   Amount
50 Ungraded Card Display Case Black P306B   1    $49.95 USD   $49.95 USD
Special UV for Direct Sunlight                         1    $38.00 USD   $38.00 USD

Subtotal    $87.95 USD
                                                                               Shipping   $19.50 USD
                                                                               Total   $107.45 USD

Comes with standard UV protected Plexiglas and I upgraded for Direct sunlight glass.
 So far so good but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to fading as well.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:11:05 PM by The Collector »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »
Thanks!  I'll definitely check into the glass.

It's nice, isn't it, being able to simply look over and admire something - whether Wackys, Freakies, albums, etc. - without having to unpack them first?

Offline quas

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 07:52:17 AM »

The place could be called "Wacka," and once a day each forum member would have to drop to their knees and pray --- not to Wacka, but rather to Topps on behalf of Wacka, in the hopes that Topps would continue issuing Wacky series (especially Old School), and only with the best artists (i.e., not a repeat of most of the artwork of 50th Anniversary).
Marc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
The place could be called "Wacka," and once a day each forum member would have to drop to their knees and pray --- not to Wacka, but rather to Topps on behalf of Wacka, in the hopes that Topps would continue issuing Wacky series (especially Old School), and only with the best artists (i.e., not a repeat of most of the artwork of 50th Anniversary).

Bother Quas, I'm already on my knees and a'prayin'!

(And probably the wrong thread for this, but I'd like to see Old School venture into the 80s and 90s, as well.  One thing the 50th Anniversary did was to partially open up the door on these two decades.  If WP were a metaphorical mansion, there's still so many rooms and closets to left explore.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:08:00 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »

Maybe druids of Wacky Packages could partake of the ceremonial feast of Wiccan Cabbages, with rituals of crystals, essences, and incense oils.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
Andrew - VERY Impressive and close to my style!

We will have to get together soon to compare!

Richard

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »
I wonder how all of you display your collection. If you do have a cool display case or something, feel free to post it!
I'm sure I'm going to get some "boo"s and a tomato tossed at me here, but Mark asked [and I can't find the other thread where I already posted these], so here is my display...again. Not just Wackys, but that's what it is mainly...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:52:42 PM by bigtomi »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to get some "boo"s and a tomato tossed at me here, but Mark asked [and I can't find the other thread where I already posted these], so here is my display...again. Not just Wackys, but that's what it is mainly...

Whoa!  Damn fine collection!  Like the drinking glasses!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 02:04:12 AM »

I can never see too many pictures of your display!  What an awesome collection!!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 06:20:36 AM »

Amazing! I believe the tomatoes were tossed at me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:42:58 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »

Why boos, this looks great!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »

So, what are your store hours?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »
So, what are your store hours?
My PM never closes, request away. I don't have nearly the OS sticker stock that Ernie, Greg, Matt [and probably others] do, but if I can help, I will try. I have Crazy Label and Crazy Cover extras and other Wacky series besides OS available, too. Just helped Brian Mc finish his CL set, right, Brian?  8)

And, thanks to all for the comments, kudos, thumbs up and the like. I appreciate knowing others like my collection display.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »
Just helped Brian Mc finish his CL set, right, Brian?  8)

You sure did!  :great:
Brian Mc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 03:22:41 AM »

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful collection. Quite the time warp in those pics.  Really cool to see the truck and drinking glasses and OS Boxes on display.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
I've got my Wackys in a binder, but unlike Baked Bears, it's never out of sight, out of mind with me. I know exactly where they are and look at them every time that I can. I've got ANS1, ANS2, ANS3, ANS4, ANS5, ANS6, Flashback, Flashback 2, ANS7 and ANS8 (all with bonus cards and foil cards plus the six promo cards from ANS1, the Osaka Pop Star sticker and all the bonus cards from the two printings of the first Abrams book, the 2009 calendar and the first (and only) printing of the second Abrams book). I've also got Mars Attacks Archives (with promo cards plus the 10 Screamin' model kit cards), Mars Attacks Heritage (with promo cards plus the four bonus cards from both the Abrams book and the 2013 calendar), Dinosaurs Attack! (with the four "bonus cards" from the Eclipse Comics first issue), Hollywood Zombies (with three promo cards and two bonus cards), Mars Attacks: The Revenge!, Batman: Saga of the Dark Knight (with four promo cards, a chase card and five bonus cards), Hockey Freaks (I still need to get the two promo cards for this one, but maybe someday...) and Cereal Killers Series 1 and 2. Even with all that, the 100 pages are still not full, and when I get there (or close enough to it), then I will stop. Just like Dirty Harry once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:28:54 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »
I've got my Wackys in a binder, but unlike Baked Bears, it's never out of sight, out of mind with me. I know exactly where they are and look at them every time that I can. I've got ANS1, ANS2, ANS3, ANS4, ANS5, ANS6, Flashback, Flashback 2, ANS7 and ANS8. I've also got Mars Attacks Archives, Mars Attacks Heritage, Dinosaurs Attack!, Hollywood Zombies, Mars Attacks: The Revenge!, Batman: Saga of the Dark Knight, Hockey Freaks and Cereal Killers Series 1 and 2. Even with all that, the 100 pages are still not full, and when I get there (or close enough to it), then I will stop. Just like Dirty Harry once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations".

What's this?  What madness are you carrying on about?  These are ravings!

My Wackys may be out of sight, out of mind - yet they are never out of heart.  And there's a good reason I keep them in my attic.  One word: Cats, Cats, Cats, Cats, and Cats.

(Incidentally, my attic is not a dusty, musty, cobwebby place.  It was made into an apartment for my great-grandmother back in the day.)

Besides, if I need to check on a title from bygone days, I have one of the best reference materials available - you and your encyclopedic memory of all things Wacky!

On another note, you have quite the collection, but why did you stop - specifically - after ANS8?  And what about Old School?  Postcards?  Halloween?

Hmmm, and I'm also not so sure about that word "limitations."  Might be a foreign concept to a lot of people here.  :-\

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 04:40:08 AM »
Here's updated pictures of my collection if anyone wants to see it.

Series 1-16 and Diecuts, Packs, Wrappers, Gums Mask Transparency, etc.

2 Patches boxes, 1982 Album box, Wacky Ads, Patches... (Normally where I keep PSA stuff, but they're moved temporarily.)

My stack of ANS boxes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:29:02 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 04:44:08 AM »
Very nice!  :great:

Offline mikecho

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
What's this?  What madness are you carrying on about?  These are ravings!

My Wackys may be out of sight, out of mind - yet they are never out of heart.  And there's a good reason I keep them in my attic.  One word: Cats, Cats, Cats, Cats, and Cats.

(Incidentally, my attic is not a dusty, musty, cobwebby place.  It was made into an apartment for my great-grandmother back in the day.)

Besides, if I need to check on a title from bygone days, I have one of the best reference materials available - you and your encyclopedic memory of all things Wacky!

On another note, you have quite the collection, but why did you stop - specifically - after ANS8?  And what about Old School?  Postcards?  Halloween?

Hmmm, and I'm also not so sure about that word "limitations."  Might be a foreign concept to a lot of people here.  :-\
The reason that I stopped after ANS8, was, basically, Wackys had, to coin a phrase, "jumped the shark" to the point that, due to the numerous Collector Boxes and packs that had managed to appear and that I couldn't find anywhere no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. That and unemployment. (For more info on this, see my 9/9/17 post on "When did Wackys "jump the shark?"".) I only got ANS7 to finish the foil stickers and the Wacky Websites and I only got ANS8 because one of its bonus stickers (B5) was actually mentioned on the back of one of ANS7's Wack-O-Mercial stickers (5 of 20) before it was even conceived, let alone made, and without the sticker, the joke was useless. Besides, I'm a simple man here-I only like to get basic black borders, none of those border variations, card variations or anything like that (I may be a completist, but not that much of one). I just prefer the basics, pure and simple. As for the Postcards, Halloween Postcards, OLDS, etc., most of that was only available online. I don't have the means or the ability to order anything online from my own computer, and even if I did, I can't do it-because I'm living with my parents thanks to the above-mentioned unemployment and they never buy or sell anything online because they are concerned with the problem of identity theft. As the saying goes, it's complicated. (By the way, I empathize with the cat thing-my sister-in-law is a cat lover and has at least 10 of them!) Finally, I've only got one binder-to save space, money and time my cards are 18 cards in nine pockets in each page (nine in the front and nine in the back) and there are only 100 pages in the binder. As soon as I fill it, or get close enough to doing so, I'll stop.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:02:18 PM by mikecho »