Author Topic: How do you display your Wackys?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Lavirus

Re: How do you display your Wackys?
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
Dude, send me a PM with your address. I've got lots of doubles of Halloween stuff that I'm happy to share with you.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
Sounds tempting, Mitch. I'll think about it. Just let me take care of a few things concerning my binder and I will get back to you. By the way, questions: are these doubles of Halloween Postcards or Pack O' Fun cards? If the latter, I might be able to fit them in at the end of my binder by the time I'm through. You see, the next things that I intend to try to get are Crazy Cars (the one from Wonder Bread) and WP Chrome. That will give me a little bit of space left over. However, if the former, didn't the Halloween Postcards have at least two binders made especially for them? If so, that's the only way that I could fit those-and I don't even know if it (or they) would fit all five series, plus the 10 bonuses and the two special postcards that were only available with the regular editions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:34:15 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
The Halloween postcards and Packs of Fun are cards, not stickers.  For the postcards, Topps made one red binder, one yellow binder, and one special Halloween binder.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
Thanks, Pat, fixed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:37:03 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
The reason that I stopped after ANS8, was, basically, Wackys had "jumped the shark" to the point that, due to the numerous Collector Boxes and packs that had managed to appear and that I couldn't find anywhere no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. That and unemployment. (For more info on this, see my 9/9/17 post on "When did Wackys "jump the shark"?".) I only got ANS7 to finish the foil stickers and I only got ANS8 because one of its bonus stickers (B5) was actually mentioned on the back of one of ANS7's Wack-O-Mercial stickers (5 of 20) before it was even conceived, let alone made, and without the sticker, the joke was useless. Besides, I'm a simple man here-I only like to get basic black borders, none of those border variations, card variations or anything like that (I may be a completist, but not that much). I just prefer the basics, pure and simple. As for the Postcards, Halloween Postcards, OLDS, etc., most of that was only available online. I don't have the means or the ability to order anything online from my own computer, and even if I did, I can't do it-because I'm living with my parents thanks to the above-mentioned unemployment and they never buy or sell anything online because they are concerned with the problem of identity theft. As the saying goes, it's complicated. (By the way, I empathize with the cat thing-my sister-in-law is a cat lover and has at least 10 of them!) Finally, I've only got one binder-to save space, money and time my cards are 18 cards in nine pockets in each page (nine in the front and nine in the back) and there are only 100 pages in the binder. As soon as I fill it, or get close enough to doing so, I'll stop.

When I first read this post earlier, my first thoughts were, well, this is kind of curious.  A collector who imposes strict limitations on his collecting.  Personally, I couldn't do that.  From my point of view, the collecting ends when there is nothing more to collect.  This is not an insult, mind.  Moreover, the more I digested your words, the more I came to admire your simplicity.  True, Wackys do take up space, money, and time.  In fact, they can often become overwhelming. 

All kidding aside, I could run up to my attic to check on certain titles when I am posting one of my wordy ideas, however more often than not, I don't.  Why?  Because there are simply too darn many.  Even though they are organized, there are too many to go through.  I am pretty familiar with the original series titles, however after the ANS began, things just became too crazy, too fast.  I'm just not talking about all of the parallels, but also all of the titles in general: the same products being parodied 3 or 4 times over, the various subsets, bonus cards, flashback repetitions, generic products, etc., etc., etc..  We're all familiar how the list goes on and on.  It was all just too much to keep up with, kind of like a Wacky overload, kind of like a big blur.  Also, many titles in the later sets I found to be "lacking" in humor, artistry, etc..  (Again, another all-too-familiar list that goes on and on.)  Consequently, I have many sets that I rarely bother to look it.  This bothers me to even make such a statement, yet it is true.  And, yes, if I am to be honest with myself, sometimes I wonder why I even continue to collect.  To own even more sets that I don't bother with?  I suppose the answer is two-fold: 1) I am a completist, and 2) I don't want to miss out on certain titles that stand out above the rest.

I have to give you credit for drawing a line.  You can appreciate more fully the titles you do have, and not become disillusioned and/or even aggravated by subpar titles.  When the "movie" set comes out, I will probably purchase it - with reservations, though.  I fear it might resemble something like:

For obvious reasons, this was something that I didn't exactly wholeheartedly jump for joy about.  Being a simple man with simple wants, you might say, "Nah, I'll pass on the upcoming movie set."  And, as stated before, I admire you for that.  As for myself, though, alas, I am weak.

As far as the Halloween sets go, you would probably need a separate binder with various types of pocket pages to accommodate the various size/shape cards that came out over the years.

I also have to check out that B5 title you referenced.  You've piqued my interest.  A little bit later, though.  Right now, I have to feed the cats...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:57:18 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
I only got ANS8 because one of its bonus stickers (B5) was actually mentioned on the back of one of ANS7's Wack-O-Mercial stickers (5 of 20) before it was even conceived, let alone made, and without the sticker, the joke was useless.

Good eye!  Interesting observation.  And you're right, the joke doesn't really make sense without the second title.  They don't look like they were done by the same artist, however I wonder if the same concept artist created both - and had both ideas in mind?  Or possibly a second artist picked up on the original joke and then created a parody?  This, however, doesn't explain why the original joke was created to begin with.  Or maybe B5 was created for ANS7, yet discarded (to avoid having two octopus gags) and picked up again as a bonus sticker for ANS8?  Perhaps we'll never know.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:06:00 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
You know, now that I think of it, you know what would've made me get ANS9? If the 20 Awful Apps had been all together in one subset in the same series, instead of splitting them up into two subsets between this one and ANS10. Then there'd be a complete subset of online subjects that would compliment the Wacky Websites card backs in ANS1, ANS2, ANS3 and ANS4 and the Wacky Websites stickers in ANS7 (I can't prove it, but I think that the stickers just may have been planned as card backs for one or more of the first four series, but never made the final cut. I guess we'll never know).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:51:43 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
Good eye!  Interesting observation.  And you're right, the joke doesn't really make sense without the second title.  They don't look like they were done by the same artist, however I wonder if the same concept artist created both - and had both ideas in mind?  Or possibly a second artist picked up on the original joke and then created a parody?  This, however, doesn't explain why the original joke was created to begin with.  Or maybe B5 was created for ANS7, yet discarded (to avoid having two octopus gags) and picked up again as a bonus sticker for ANS8?  Perhaps we'll never know.

I just did some further investigating and found this out: this wasn't the first time that this might've been done in the ANS run. ANS4 was going to have a Wacky called Homely Bunches of Goats, a.k.a Honey Bunches of Oats (and it was done twice by two different artists, namely Neil Camera and Fred Wheaton) but Quicker Instant Goatmeal was in the same series and, as a result, it was never released (probably because Topps thought having two goat parodies in the same series would be redundant (thus being similar to your third theory, Baked Bears)). It was finally published in Postcards 9, but the name was changed to Hungry Bunches of Goats and, IIRC, the art was different. In this case, too, we'll probably never know one way or another.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:43:00 PM by mikecho »