Author Topic: Questions about PSA  (Read 8684 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Questions about PSA
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »
I don't have many real questions about PSA, but I think it would be cool to get some of my nicer cards graded. But, I'd like to point out the fact that I've read most, if not all topics, regarding PSA for general information about the grading system. Yet, all of the posts I've seen about pricing have been about 6 dollars per card. The prices shown on the PSA website are 18 dollars for the least valuable of cards. 18 dollars can't really seem like a worthy investment considering the potential grader might knock off points for something you cannot see or notice, and you can't get notified about what's wrong with your card. So, what you presumably considered might be a graded PSA 9 Mint card from a mid series set, which might just give you a 5 dollar profit if that in the long run, might turn out to be a PSA 7 and was a completely worthless and terrible decision of an investment.

So, what I'm getting at is that.. It is a cool concept to have high grade slabbed, (point out "official" grade) cards to show off to fellow collectors in the registry and possibly in shows or meet and greets. But, the possibility of getting an incredibly tough grade on your card or an incredibly "easy on you" grade might be prevalent depending on the lucky grader. And at that point, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Considering that high wager of a price that may prove regret after you get the return, and the prices for shipping on top of that, is it worth it?

Thank you for reading, and please give some info about the topic. Thanks!  ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Questions about PSA
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
I don't have many real questions about PSA, but I think it would be cool to get some of my nicer cards graded. But, I'd like to point out the fact that I've read most, if not all topics, regarding PSA for general information about the grading system. Yet, all of the posts I've seen about pricing have been about 6 dollars per card. The prices shown on the PSA website are 18 dollars for the least valuable of cards. 18 dollars can't really seem like a worthy investment considering the potential grader might knock off points for something you cannot see or notice, and you can't get notified about what's wrong with your card. So, what you presumably considered might be a graded PSA 9 Mint card from a mid series set, which might just give you a 5 dollar profit if that in the long run, might turn out to be a PSA 7 and was a completely worthless and terrible decision of an investment.

So, what I'm getting at is that.. It is a cool concept to have high grade slabbed, (point out "official" grade) cards to show off to fellow collectors in the registry and possibly in shows or meet and greets. But, the possibility of getting an incredibly tough grade on your card or an incredibly "easy on you" grade might be prevalent depending on the lucky grader. And at that point, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Considering that high wager of a price that may prove regret after you get the return, and the prices for shipping on top of that, is it worth it?

Thank you for reading, and please give some info about the topic. Thanks!  ;)

Mark, the issue of a lucky or unlucky grader should not be your primary concern. Rather, you should make sure you have a realistic and accurate understanding of what constitutes a given PSA grade. It will be a waste of money to grade anything from series 2-15 that you are not certain will get at least an 8. Feel free to post good scans of some candidates here if you want input.

Oh, and the $6 quote refers to monthly specials that you need to join PSA to be eligible for. Even as a member, specials have been bad lately, I would not anticipate much better than $7 going forward.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »

Mark, the issue of a lucky or unlucky grader should not be your primary concern. Rather, you should make sure you have a realistic and accurate understanding of what constitutes a given PSA grade. It will be a waste of money to grade anything from series 2-15 that you are not certain will get at least an 8. Feel free to post good scans of some candidates here if you want input.

Oh, and the $6 quote refers to monthly specials that you need to join PSA to be eligible for. Even as a member, specials have been bad lately, I would not anticipate much better than $7 going forward.

Thanks for the info. Will do.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
The biggest problem I usually have is corners. Some might be OC as well. I'll get better scans if you want them.

Note: Some cards kind of look gray in the scans... You can also zoom in to see corners better.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:17:36 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »
The corners look good for the most part. Several of them don't have the centering for PSA 8+, including:

Hipton
Decay
Screamsicle
Sneezer
Sucker Twin

Some of the others may do well...what's your goal in submitting them? Just curious.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:40:42 AM »
My goal is maybe 7s to 8s.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 02:45:33 AM »
Another thing to consider is gum and wax stains - those could result in the card getting a "ST" qualifier, or a 2 grade reduction.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 04:42:00 AM »
My goal is maybe 7s to 8s.

For most common cards, a PSA 7 will not be worth the cost of grading. So if you are happy with a 7, it's best to buy it graded.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
Out of that group, what/which card(s) would be the most successful?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 06:49:43 AM »
From what I can see, Bird Brain and Chimpanzee look the nicest. Doomed and Playskull may still be 8s but centering is not as nice. Smartz looks pretty good but has some ink smearing. Shorts looks nice but vertically oversized..however that doesn't get penalized.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 06:55:26 AM »
From what I can see, Bird Brain and Chimpanzee look the nicest. Doomed and Playskull may still be 8s but centering is not as nice. Smartz looks pretty good but has some ink smearing. Shorts looks nice but vertically oversized..however that doesn't get penalized.

I always thought Bird Brain and Chimpanzee looked really nice! I remember buying the Smartz from eGay and was pleasantly surprised, but the front does have some ink smearing as you said. I actually pulled Shorts from a 13th pack a while ago. (No it wasn't the one you gave me, I don't open my packs anymore.  ;) )

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 07:00:45 AM »
This would also be nice to send to PSA if the corners were a tad better and if it was a little less OC.

The highest grades are 7's for a Botch and I'm not even sure that it would hit that..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:21:23 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
This would also be nice to send to PSA if the corners were a tad better and if it was a little less OC.

The highest grades are 7's for a Botch and I'm not even sure that it would hit that..

What do you mean "the highest grades are 7s for a Botch?"

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
What do you mean "the highest grades are 7s for a Botch?"

In the PSA Pop Report for 1977 Shedd's, Botch Tape has a 7 as the highest grade given. (Several earned 7's)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
In the PSA Pop Report for 1977 Shedd's, Botch Tape has a 7 as the highest grade given. (Several earned 7's)

Oh, I didn't notice this was a Shedds. Honestly it looks more like a 6 to me due to corner wear, but you never know.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »

It being a 1977 Shedd's makes a difference in whether it is worth submitting for grading - if you submit it, make sure you describe it as such, or it could end up being mis-labeled as a 2nd series white back.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Oh, I didn't notice this was a Shedds. Honestly it looks more like a 6 to me due to corner wear, but you never know.

That's what I thought.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
I am trying to use the PSA site to see which cert #s I entered in there as keepers, and I can't seem to get the cert # to show through the My Sets option; the only way I can get it to show is through My Inventory, and that's tedious, going through all those cards.  I really thought it used to include the cert #   :-\

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
I am trying to use the PSA site to see which cert #s I entered in there as keepers, and I can't seem to get the cert # to show through the My Sets option; the only way I can get it to show is through My Inventory, and that's tedious, going through all those cards.  I really thought it used to include the cert #   :-\

The cert numbers do show under my sets. Perhaps you accidentally selected the public view for the set in question?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
The cert numbers do show under my sets. Perhaps you accidentally selected the public view for the set in question?

If I did, I don't know how I managed it, since I don't even see a place to select the view type. 

In anticipation of selling off some extras, I spent around 8 hours this weekend going through OS 1, 2 and 16, making sure my keepers aren't mixed up with my extras, and I already have 14 keeper stickers that are in other people's registries   :sad:  I sure hope they release them 'cause that's 6 scans just there, and I have 13 more sets to tackle.  Two weeks ago I had 10, and only 2 were released by the prior owners.  PSA eventually released them for me.  My OS2 stuff was a mess, with tans and whites mixed up and out of alphabetical order - that alone took me about 4 hours, especially since I started adding comments to stickers I want to replace due to the infernal streaking/striping so common in the tan backs.

A lot of my sets dropped in rank because I deleted 8s and then the upgrade 9s I had were already registered.  Hopefully by next weekend I'll be able to add the released upgrades!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »
When you go to My Sets, the two leftmost columns have the set name and the other one says Public View. Make sure not to select Public View.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
The reason you're having so much trouble with other people's registries is because Bill never registered any of the cards you got from him, so they are likely still registered to people who haven't owned them in years and may no longer be active on the registry.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Thanks Dave!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »
PSA is fast though in taking the old owner off when you send in a picture of the front and back of the card.  I know it is a pain, but is what you have to do. 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
PSA is fast though in taking the old owner off when you send in a picture of the front and back of the card.  I know it is a pain, but is what you have to do.

And if you have a group of cards you can photograph them in groups. I'm not sure what the point of sending a back scan is on older slabs since they don't have the cert number on the back and wackys are not distinguishable from the back.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 08:54:59 AM »
I do agree with you about the back (on wackys). However on sports cards the backs are card specific

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:29 AM »
I do agree with you about the back (on wackys). However on sports cards the backs are card specific

Speaking of backs...
Does anyone know how much PSA dings the rating of a Wacky that has the kiss-cut punched through the back of the card?

I've got some cards that may be worth sending to PSA, but the back is cut through.  Some have only a small section cut through...some almost look like a die-cut!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 07:27:29 AM »

There used to be a rumor that they downgraded for that, but I have seen no evidence that they do. Roller marks are heavily penalized, but if the card is otherwise nice I don't think the die cut showing through is a problem.

Speaking of backs...
Does anyone know how much PSA dings the rating of a Wacky that has the kiss-cut punched through the back of the card?

I've got some cards that may be worth sending to PSA, but the back is cut through.  Some have only a small section cut through...some almost look like a die-cut!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 02:41:55 AM »
Found this on ebay this morning - shouldn't this have gotten just an "Authentic" designation instead of an actual grade?  The same batch included a Poopsi and a Putrid, also borderless.

eBay auction: #143391990112

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 02:54:25 AM by RawGoo »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »
that is called sleep grading. 

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 01:57:43 PM »
Found this on ebay this morning - shouldn't this have gotten just an "Authentic" designation instead of an actual grade?  The same batch included a Poopsi and a Putrid, also borderless.

How does that not get a 1 for being borderless?  If that's a 3, I'd like to see a 1 or 2.  I had a guy try to sell me a notebook full of Wackys that were all peeled & stuck to college-ruled, lined paper, saying they were all near mint.  It was hilarious.  I had to drive quite a ways to the dude's house, too.  Might have been a good detail to divulge over the phone.  Maybe a Wacky stuck onto lined paper would be a PSA 1 or 2?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »

I thought one of the advantages of buying slabbed and graded products was to have confidence in buying something sight unseen and anticipating quality based on the grade...wow....
A