Author Topic: Soremel's First Attempt at Wacky Packages ~ Circa 1973  (Read 6957 times)

Offline Soremel

Soremel's First Attempt at Wacky Packages ~ Circa 1973
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »
I recently found a stash of my homemade Wacky Packages during a visit to my parent's house. I remember creating some of them, but totally forgot about drawing some of them. I do remember that I did these when the 5th series was about half way through its run. Some of them are okay... others, well, not so much! I was obviously not a fan of grammar, use of a dictionary or proof reading! LOL! As primitive as they are, I had a blast rummaging through my mother's kitchen cabinets to find that next spoofable product!

uploading pictures
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:18:16 AM by Soremel »

Offline quas

Re: Soremel's First Attempt at Wacky Packages ~ Circa 1973
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
Lost Wackies 4!!  I'm selling sets for $1,000 apiece.  (Just kidding)

Love the Hiclets!
Marc

Offline Soremel

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
Lost Wackies 4!!  I'm selling sets for $1,000 apiece.  (Just kidding)

Love the Hiclets!

LOL! ;D I'm going to paint some of these titles for my own personal art collection... kind of a "then & now" vibe.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
Love these!!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
Hicklets is also one of my favorites, along with Moatmeal.  :great:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
Kudos, mr wright. These are amazing. You must have been an amazing artist as a kid.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
George, these are awesome!  Of course, Belch's later became a Wacky, and Topps parodied Drain Power in Series 13.  And you probably wouldn't have known about the die cuts when you did Coronation.  To me, that really shows an inchoate Wacky artist mindset.

I don't think many kids knew the word "belch."  I most probably learned it from Hired Root Beer.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
Gosh, you did these when you were a kid? You must've been born with the Wacky gene. Great work!
Brian Mc

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
I love the Dill/Dole gag... pickled pineapples! That is a beautiful label to start with...George, paint this one!
   Smokin' Joe
Smokin' Joe

Offline Soremel

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Gosh, you did these when you were a kid? You must've been born with the Wacky gene. Great work!

Thanks, Brian! I was in the 7th grade when I concocted those... and I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Wacky Package geek since then!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »
I love the Dill/Dole gag... pickled pineapples! That is a beautiful label to start with...George, paint this one!
   Smokin' Joe

Thank you, Joe! I will definitely paint this one first!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 02:13:09 AM »
Some pretty funny gags - looking forward to your painted versions!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 03:02:14 AM »
Great to see you have been "Wacky" since '73. Those drawings are time machine back to '73. Looking forward to painted versions. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »
Bomtac, Belches and Stenches would have been the rage with kids as kids love fart, burb and boys love blowing things up!

Offline Beanball

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 11:06:01 AM »

[/quote]
George those are priceless works of art!
I really like the Dill Pineapple and Moatmeal.
Can wait to see how the then and now turn out.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
Did you think of Clamay before the Wacky Packages Clammy? Whats series was that in?

Offline The Collector

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 05:03:47 AM »
George. Just seeing your art and parody skills even back then shows you are a true Wacky genius.  Awesome job.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 05:32:30 AM »
Did you think of Clamay before the Wacky Packages Clammy? Whats series was that in?

Clammy was in the 6th series. I drew the Clamay parody about a month before the 6th series hit the stores. I remember thinking "Hey, they copied my idea!" Same thing with the other titles that eventually became Wacky Packages. My mother noticed that I was kind of ticked off about some of my ideas being "scooped" by Topps, but she told me that I should be happy because I was obviously on the right track if ideas like mine were being published. She was so cool when it came to my Wacky Package obsession! She would often spoof products with me at the house or the grocery store!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 06:38:31 AM »
Clammy was in the 6th series. I drew the Clamay parody about a month before the 6th series hit the stores. I remember thinking "Hey, they copied my idea!" Same thing with the other titles that eventually became Wacky Packages. My mother noticed that I was kind of ticked off about some of my ideas being "scooped" by Topps, but she told me that I should be happy because I was obviously on the right track if ideas like mine were being published. She was so cool when it came to my Wacky Package obsession! She would often spoof products with me at the house or the grocery store!

Excellent response from your mother - you were definitely on the right track!!  After falling in love with Wackys, I used to make up parody names for stuff, too, but I have no artistic talent, so it was just the names.

Online Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »

That happened to me a few times too. I'm sure everyone in America came up with the Kick-A-Man parody before Topps. Most obvious idea ever!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »
That happened to me a few times too. I'm sure everyone in America came up with the Kick-A-Man parody before Topps. Most obvious idea ever!

Yep! In the world of parody, it seems that a lot of the best ideas are conjured up by many individuals that are not even aware of the others creating the same spoof. When I did the rough and final art for "Pupsodent Toothpaste", I Received a message from Gary Browning telling me that he did the same
Spoof a couple of years earlier! He was very cool about it and didn't take offense. In fact, he had the same attitude toward the situation that my mother had directed me in back in '73!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »
Excellent response from your mother - you were definitely on the right track!!  After falling in love with Wackys, I used to make up parody names for stuff, too, but I have no artistic talent, so it was just the names.

Just as cool was the fact that your mother parodied products along with you.  Two peas in a pod.  Definitely brings an added interesting element to the supermarket shopping experience.  (Even now, I often walked down the aisles with a big grin on my face as I conjure up this or that - and wonder if the other shoppers think I'm just a very happy person - or a lunatic to be avoided.)

Your mom must be very proud of you and your accomplishments.  Not only did she save your roughs, but also got to see the dreams of her son realized.

Thank you for posting these!  Along with some newspaper articles on a few other recent threads, this has been a nice flashback trip down memory lane!

(On another note, you may want to try adding a watermark to some of your future posted works as an added means of protection.  Yes, I might get booed and hissed for this suggestion - hey, I hate watermarks, too - however, considering what went down as of late (see the Lost Wackys 3 thread,) it might be in your best interest.  If people desire your work, they can purchase the real thing.  Your prices are more than fair and reasonable - certainly more reasonable than some of Topps's prices, and way more reasonable than some of the other prices WP have been fetching lately.  I'd rather see watermarks and fair prices, than worried artists stop producing altogether because their work is being unscrupulously ripped-off.)

Again, thanks, George!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:49:41 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
These are awesome!  Glad you held onto 'em.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
Wow, cool ideas and cool that you came across these after many decades!  I like the Moatmeal one as I ate tons of Quaker Instant Oatmeal back then so it's an extra hit of nostalgia.  I look forward to seeing how some of them turn out when you do paint them  :D

Offline quas

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 09:55:59 PM »
Wow, cool ideas and cool that you came across these after many decades!  I like the Moatmeal one as I ate tons of Quaker Instant Oatmeal back then so it's an extra hit of nostalgia.  I look forward to seeing how some of them turn out when you do paint them  :D

Same here, but will it actually happen??   :-\
Marc