Author Topic: Antique Shop Finds  (Read 10516 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Antique Shop Finds
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
I found 46 cards at an antique shop and paid 58 dollars for them. Mostly low grade, but there were 2 Shedds cards...

Shedds: Botch and Blunder

Also, I remember a possible "Camals light" variation at some point or something, and one of the cards looked like that. I'll post pictures if anyone wants them.

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Antique Shop Finds
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
I found 46 cards at an antique shop and paid 58 dollars for them. Mostly low grade, but there were 2 Shedds cards...

Also, I remember a possible "Camals light" variation at some point or something, and one of the cards looked like that. I'll post pictures if anyone wants them.

A little over a dollar apiece.  Not bad!

Yes, please post the "Camals Light" variation, if you could.  Thanks!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »

Left is plausible "light" which I see the biggest difference in the camel itself, and the yellow sand.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:30:28 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »

Left is plausible "light" which I see the biggest difference in the camel itself, and the yellow sand.

What condition were the shedd's in

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 02:38:21 AM »
The only thing wrong with the Shedds was one corner was touched lightly.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:53:50 AM »
The only thing wrong with the Shedds was one corner was touched lightly.
Good find then. That is your gem!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

Which antique shop did you find them at and which series did they range from?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:33:35 AM »
Original Series Wacky Packages are now considered antique?

That makes me feel old      >(

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
I think I was the person who came up with the term "Camals Light".  The one you have looks very much like the one I have.  The Camal itself is much lighter but what first caught my attention was the lack of blue/grey shading in the foil at the top and bottom of the pack and in the word "CAMALS" itself and also the cigarette butts.

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »
I think I was the person who came up with the term "Camals Light".  The one you have looks very much like the one I have.  The Camal itself is much lighter but what first caught my attention was the lack of blue/grey shading in the foil at the top and bottom of the pack and in the word "CAMALS" itself and also the cigarette butts.

Do you see it as the same phenomenon as Oddie Boy? Would this likely affect an entire sheet, causing variants of everything (some likely more noticeable than others)?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »

Which antique shop did you find them at and which series did they range from?

It was Rolling Mills in Lewisburg, PA. I bought the only ones I found. They were just sheets full of them. I didn't get to scope everything out, so there might be more, though.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

Here's the cards in a scan.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:31:27 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

Is the 'Camal Light' also a Shedds card, or from the OS? Alex

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
Camel is not a shedd's.  It is a first series

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 04:00:03 AM »

The entire sticker was printed much lighter making the already light areas (Your blue/grey areas) seem almost non-existent. 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
Is the 'Camal Light' also a Shedds card, or from the OS? Alex
Shedd's are easy to spot, they are white back with copyright 1977.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »
Do you see it as the same phenomenon as Oddie Boy? Would this likely affect an entire sheet, causing variants of everything (some likely more noticeable than others)?
My gut says yes that they are related.  Rusty has an image of a 1st series sheet that has an Oddie Boy on it:

http://www.lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/1st-series/1st-series-sheet-2.htm

Out of the six Maddies on the sheet, only one is an Oddie.  The Camals on that same row appears to be the "Light" version.  Compare the color of the camel on that one to the one on the sticker four rows above it.  Since there is only the one Oddie in the lower left portion of the sheet and the Camal Light is near it, I would suspect it may be possible that some of the other titles in that part of the sheet may be lighter as well.  Maybe it's just me, but several of the titles around there (Weakies, Skimpy, etc.) look like they may be a little lighter than their counterparts in the top part of the sheet.  I would love to see that sheet in person!

Here are some scans of my Camals Light comparing the details to the regular Camals.  I think the difference on mine is even more noticeable than the one Mark found.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »
The six up in that row looks darker as does the pure hex.  I think a specific color is missing from that room that didn't affect those two titles maybe yellow or a brown strike
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Soremel

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 06:36:59 AM »
My gut says yes that they are related.  Rusty has an image of a 1st series sheet that has an Oddie Boy on it:

http://www.lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/1st-series/1st-series-sheet-2.htm

Out of the six Maddies on the sheet, only one is an Oddie.  The Camals on that same row appears to be the "Light" version.  Compare the color of the camel on that one to the one on the sticker four rows above it.  Since there is only the one Oddie in the lower left portion of the sheet and the Camal Light is near it, I would suspect it may be possible that some of the other titles in that part of the sheet may be lighter as well.  Maybe it's just me, but several of the titles around there (Weakies, Skimpy, etc.) look like they may be a little lighter than their counterparts in the top part of the sheet.  I would love to see that sheet in person!

Here are some scans of my Camals Light comparing the details to the regular Camals.  I think the difference on mine is even more noticeable than the one Mark found.

Looks like a case of oversaturation involving the cyan plate.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »
Looks like a case of oversaturation involving the cyan plate.
Over or Under?

....Over Under, Roger Roger

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »
I was curious so I looked on eBay to see if there were any Camal Lights up for bid.  This looks like one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-75-WACKY-PACKAGES-SERIES-1-WB-CAMALS-CIGARETTES-NM-/222420946235?hash=item33c9524d3b:g:J64AAOSwtfhYsO3d