Author Topic: "Lost" Series 3  (Read 47383 times)

Offline dth1971

Re: "Lost" Series 3
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
If someone made a LOST SERIES 4, it could include the seen entries from the never released 2014 Star Wars Wacky Packages series.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
I toadally missed the whole matt doctoring sketches thing.  What exactly happened? What was the "recent event" that quas was referring to?  I guess I will look it up!

Quas was also talking about the doctored sketches. Matt was taking sketches and adding color to them and passing them off as real.

Jim

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »
This is not a defense of Matt, I genuinely know nothing about the circumstances and that's why I'm asking. What's the evidence that he is actually printing/manufacturing these himself? I agree the hyping is a little silly, but outright lying would be markedly different. So I ask: is it factually disproven that these could have been worked up in 2011, abandoned, and that Matt actually obtained them in a deal (as he has so many other interesting items lately)...I.e., that most of what he's claiming about the series is true? What leads everyone to be so sure he's printing them himself?
I know virtually nothing about the published LW sets, but this possibility is what I'd been wondering about when I questioned his seemingly infinite supply of OS cards - sets, mag 7 singles, the toughest puzzle pieces, etc.  Now he's listing a whole slew of 9-card uncut blocks of Vintage stuff with printing issues - OS puzzles, wonder bread sheets, unfolded box, etc.  Descriptions state that these were obtained directly from a Topps factory in early 2000's.  That may well be true, but with the right printing capabilities and equipment, who knows?  And the minimum bid on each one is only $9.99 - who would risk that without a reserve?  Then again, I remember mention of arbitrary "cancellations" in some cases where auctions ended at low price levels . . .

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
Is anyone here with printing savvy planning on printing up some of the LW 3 sets for sale to the board? I made copies of the cards from an auction but my copies are pretty poor quality. Since this is not a copyrighted set anyone can print these with no issues from any parties correct? I would pay $30 for a decent quality set of these cards.
Andrew
Images are always copyrighted, and most of the LW images are owned by Topps. Which is why all the LW were being done on the down-low, to not draw too much attention.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »
Odd....Not sure How they made this set as I've owned the Original Deja-Vue Master Final Painting For a couple years....
- Must have been around for a while now....I can contribute with better copy if we are putting one together :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:32:24 PM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
very odd indeed.  From what I remember about the previous set (which I think has a few of these "series 3" titles as well) they got printed up, but when we received them, some of the gags were purposely played around with, so to speak.  Such as the Garbage Pail Kid was giving the middle finger, the Gooya gag had the words switched around, it was unexpected. 

Greg then said that he'd send us the proper ones, which he did, but we weren't supposed to reveal the "doctored" ones. 

Ernie, I know I'm a bit shaky with my memory on this, but isn't this the gist of it?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
very odd indeed.  From what I remember about the previous set (which I think has a few of these "series 3" titles as well) they got printed up, but when we received them, some of the gags were purposely played around with, so to speak.  Such as the Garbage Pail Kid was giving the middle finger, the Gooya gag had the words switched around, it was unexpected. 

Greg then said that he'd send us the proper ones, which he did, but we weren't supposed to reveal the "doctored" ones. 

Ernie, I know I'm a bit shaky with my memory on this, but isn't this the gist of it?

Yes, Duane Dimock was responsible for altering some of the artwork which somehow went unnoticed I guess. Even the lost wackys shown in the Gallery were altered ("Snot Grain").

As for Rabid Shaver's comment, seems to suggest this set was created awhile ago, as was stated by Matt.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »

Those must be worth a small fortune!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
I'm sure I have them around somewhere?  I think I remember we were told to send them back in,
but I doubt anyone did.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2017, 02:54:11 AM »
Just saw a Lost Binder sell for $495 and a Lost Series 1 Yellow Box sell for $400. Hard to believe these items go for that much.

Geez, maybe I should part with some stuff!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2017, 05:14:48 AM »

This sounds about right
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2017, 05:30:22 AM »
I'm sure I have them around somewhere?  I think I remember we were told to send them back in,
but I doubt anyone did.
I actually did send them back, but defaced them all. To me, the altered versions were absolute trash. I didn't want them and I didn't want to see them resurface later either.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2017, 05:58:24 AM »
I actually did send them back, but defaced them all. To me, the altered versions were absolute trash. I didn't want them and I didn't want to see them resurface later either.

When this all hit the fan, I had just discovered Greg's forum, so I didn't have the stickers myself; I remember being confused by all the controversy.  Some people were adamant that they wanted to keep the altered cards so they would "have them all," while Greg wanted to destroy all the altered cards, and was offering the replacement green pack with the corrected images, plus extras and a new puzzle, as an inducement to get the altered ones back.  It was quite a while before I was able to purchase any, and I got them as sealed packs, so they included the altered cards.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
   Being a relatively new member to this forum as well as an OS WP collector like many of you, I find this discussion surrounding (make_mine_marvel_1973) to be very interesting. Not knowing about any of his history or any allegations, I think my outside opinions of him might help expose his character further.
   About 12 or so years ago I came across many listings of vintage Wackys and such on Bay. Fascinated by everything I saw and having loved collecting these as a child in the 70's, I immediately began bidding on some high quality singles and sets. The timing was just right since the business I owned was doing very well at the time. Within a few months I compiled a pretty good collection and then I stumbled upon a set being offered by you know who. I messaged him with a question about his stuff and he quickly got right back. After our discussion went on a bit, I ended up giving him an email, somehow. Here's the juicy part....I wound up purchasing an entire 1-16 collection of sets and puzzles from him with all the HTF pulls and variants included. His stories and explanations were very convincing, since I wired him the full agreed amount right away without really thinking about who I was dealing with. He is an extremely good salesman. I received everything exactly as planned, and was overall very pleased with almost all of the stickers and cards. He then replaced the few I had in question right away, and I ended up very happy.
    Over the years, I've consistently checked on his listings. He always has the "right stuff" let's say. In the back of my mind though, I always wondered just how did this guy keep finding everything he sold. Everything was so pristine and rare. Connections with Topps maybe, or just a shrewd collector and businessman. I wanted an answer to this question and still do. The recent stuff he's selling gives me a general idea on what's going on.
    He obviously has a good relationship with someone at Topps. In fact, I think he has the ability to get almost anything he can find there, off the radar. But this guy takes advantage of his connections to the limit, man. I really believe the head Topps people know all about his relationship with their old inventory, though. Greed can fester like a disease we all know. Here's my spin...
   Topps , like any company, has only selling on their mind. All of the offerings from ANS-1 through the 50th anniversary material is proof of that. With the advances in printing these days, just about anyone can print anything. The key here is paper, just like in the counterfeiting world. I think he's acquiring the correct type of paper, with or without adhesive, from Topps, along with the knowledge of what inks they've used over the years, and creating new, "old" versions of the HTF stickers. Also just compiling his inventory. His strategy is to consistently create and then post set after set of the vintage stuff, to keep the interest going. Topps wants that, right? He makes good money on them, never holding a reserve to increase interest. But also to set the mark for what people will pay for old Wackys, hence pinpointing current market prices on the sets. Again and again peaking interest. If the old stuff doesn't increase in value how can their new stuff gain in popularity so quickly? Timing is involved here as well. Topps, in turn, is offering him a small percentage of the highest sought after cards from the new sets, to also list with no reserve and pinpoint market prices. The best guess as to what any of this stuff is worth is to follow the current markets selling prices, correct? He's basically a back door wholesale customer of Topps, who in turn is offering "PRIME" new and vintage stuff to the public through eBay. Creating interest, market demand and price gouging. This whole thing is a well oiled machine operating to deceive and cheat you and me. Who really knows how many people are involved. Why does some of his auctions just disappear seconds before ending? When the bidders, who are also involved, place final bids that end up to low, with no one topping them. They do this to set prices, not win like everyone else. If the final, winning bids end up too low, he cancels the auction for a couple days. There's a distinct pattern to all this mayhem...this is only my opinion

Wow, this is a far more thought out and developed theory than what I'd been thinking, insofar as possible collusion with Topps insiders, but a lot of it makes sense when you look at the relentless offerings of vintage sets, the Mag 7 rare titles, one of a kind items pulled from production like the partial sheets of checklists printed only on one side, etc.  How could any one person amass this level of inventory with no end in sight?  Has ANYTHING dried up after years and years of selling?  There has to be more to the story.  And consider this - his user ID suggests he is even more of a comic book guy than Wacky guy.  Do any questionable practices run even deeper in the comic book world?  Original art sells for tens of thousands of dollars for the good stuff.  The potential makes me shudder.....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »
You guys better put down the crack pipe. I know Matt isn't perfect, but these bizarre conspiracy theories are downright silly. I'm curious, Matt is being accused of fabricating and selling fake vintage wackys with zero evidence. Is that something our moderators approve of?

Offline freetoes

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
I know nothing of this Lost Series 3 or its origins (and so I won't guess), but forged 1-16's?  And in collaboration with Topps?

Let's just admit this story doesn't meet journalistic standards, and move on.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
I guess PSA is in on it too, huh?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
You guys better put down the crack pipe. I know Matt isn't perfect, but these bizarre conspiracy theories are downright silly. I'm curious, Matt is being accused of fabricating and selling fake vintage wackys with zero evidence. Is that something our moderators approve of?
Point taken, I don't mean to get carried away, I haven't done any business with him so I have no personal vendetta or anything.  I guess those who have had positive and negative experiences have stated their piece, so best just leave it at that and let each collector decide who they choose to do business with or not.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »
I guess PSA is in on it too, huh?

PSA?  This is getting ridiculous!

It's just Matt, Topps, and the Illuminati.  You people must be blind!  This has been going on for decades now!  Isn't the eye on the pyramid proof enough!!!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
You guys better put down the crack pipe. I know Matt isn't perfect, but these bizarre conspiracy theories are downright silly.
Very much what I was thinking as I'm reading the "theories". It is obvious these guys don't really know Matt (though, granted, as you say, he's not a perfect angel; who is?). However, myself and many others have seen the kind of inventory he has amassed over the years. What he has been offering lately on ebay gives me zero suspicion of a dark side, like suggested above. But, believe what you will.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:28:01 PM by bigtomi »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
It's just Matt, Topps, and the Illuminati.
You mean Illumi-naughty. Naughty Matt! Stop making those fake Grime Heavys! and the fake 50th anniversary Ajerx medallion and fake color sketch you sold me at the Philly show!   LOL

<ok, maybe that last one is a bad example, lol>
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:40:05 PM by bigtomi »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »
"fake color sketch you sold me at the Philly show"  LOL

Easy Tom, now you're stretching conspiracy theory into reality.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »
I don't know what is more bizarre, your making it sound like matt is just a tad below perfect or the crazy theories that matt and Topps are in cohoots and matt is printing vintage wackies....and before this becomes an odd word game...."perfect" is measuring his innocence as it relates to his rigging auctions thru either shilling, not honoring completed auctions or selling merchandise that has been altered(ie sketches) or trumped up such as making the Lost series wackys more mythical sounding than they are with references to "secret mystery underground" for the newbies who don't know better.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:49:49 AM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »
I'm a bit confused here. What benefit does Matt have for doing something illegal? Making money? He has sold so many 16's that he probably bought from others and tried to make a profit on. It may sound irrelevant but he has other big money making items, i.e. a full 11th box. (Sold a while back.) So, I really do not see what making a fake Lost Wackys series has to offer.

Also, this might help a little... Matt literally gave me a funpack, like 15 promos, 2 OS unopened packs, and a 2016 Wacky Box... If that doesn't show something about his merit, I'm not sure what does.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »
I don't know what is more bizarre, your making it sound like matt is just a tad below perfect or the crazy theories that matt and Topps are in cohoots and matt is printing vintage wackies....and before this becomes an odd word game...."perfect" is measuring his innocence as it relates to his rigging auctions thru either shilling, not honoring completed auctions or selling merchandise that has been altered(ie sketches) or trumped up such as making the Lost series wackys more mythical sounding than they are with references to "secret mystery underground" for the newbies who don't know better.

The absurdity of the suggestion doesn't go to Matt's moral terpitude, more to the manufacture and sale of fabricated stickers, most of which have been PSA graded of late. He might be ethically challenged at times, but he has what he has because of aggressively buying collections, both on eBay and privately. No manufacturing necessary.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2017, 05:43:06 AM »
The absurdity of the suggestion doesn't go to Matt's moral terpitude, more to the manufacture and sale of fabricated stickers, most of which have been PSA graded of late. He might be ethically challenged at times, but he has what he has because of aggressively buying collections, both on eBay and privately. No manufacturing necessary.
You know I'm the last person on Earth who would defend matt but I'm with you he is not printing vintage wackies.  I have over 10,000 series 1 to 16 stickers I guess that means I'm manufacturing them too  :-\  it is his own fault the accusation was made due to his ethical challenges that even one of his most staunch supporters like you acknowledge

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »
Well, Lest' we forget that Matt started out selling personally "colored over" Olds Series 2 sketches that were identified rather quickly here......My only real beef, though, is
recently after buying a MLB ultimate "Error" card with wacky checklist on back -- asked him first if he had many left -- and if he had a Milwaukee Brewer.....he said "No
Brewers" and that he only had a few..  (so I bought a Cubby Version against all principles) ...now they are still coming (driving down value) (Manufactured??) and sold a
Brewer version a week ago....wtf Matt
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:48:41 AM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
Well, Lest' we forget that Matt started out selling personally "colored over" Olds Series 2 sketches that were identified rather quickly here......My only real beef, though, is
recently after buying a MLB ultimate "Error" card with wacky checklist on back -- asked him first if he had many left -- and if he had a Milwaukee Brewer.....he said "No
Brewers" and that he only had a few..  (so I bought a Cubby Version against all principles) ...now they are still coming (driving down value) (Manufactured??) and sold a
Brewer version a week ago....wtf Matt

Now Matt's printing wacky checklists onto 1973 baseball cards! Why doesn't the guy just crank out some 52 Mantles and make some real dough?! By the way, he may be getting some of this stuff gradually from Kirk Daniel, so it's conceivable that when he spoke to you he might have only had a few and gotten more later.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »
Now Matt's printing wacky checklists onto 1973 baseball cards! Why doesn't the guy just crank out some 52 Mantles and make some real dough?! By the way, he may be getting some of this stuff gradually from Kirk Daniel, so it's conceivable that when he spoke to you he might have only had a few and gotten more later.

Exactly. It's kinda the same thing as me asking Dan McKee if he has four Cracked Animals and 3 Ratz to sell to me, he says no, but then he sells those 7 cards a week later. He wouldn't had known that he could've gotten one after you asked. (Now would it had been respectable to trade the Brewers with you for the Cubs card, yes.) But, that's besides the real point here. Everyone's beaten the dead horse here, so unless anyone has actual concrete evidence of Matt manufacturing cards illegally I could care less to hear about it.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »
Also, where are these "MLB Ultimate" cards that you are referring to?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
Also, where are these "MLB Ultimate" cards that you are referring to?

There was a run of 1973 baseball cards which were erroneously printed with the 1st series wacky checklist on the back.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
There was a run of 1973 baseball cards which were erroneously printed with the 1st series wacky checklist on the back.

I know what they are, I just didn't see any for sale in the past several weeks..

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
I know what they are, I just didn't see any for sale in the past several weeks..
Seems like one a week for months now.
eBay auction: #322469101599

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
It's pretty annoying to see the super rare 1/24 made LW3 Promo cards with Coma, Pure Hell and Whine Bros being sold one at a time by the same seller. I sense he has all 24 of each. Maximum cash attainment is the goal here. So cool.......

Yeah, I agree, it is annoying for the average collector (which I sense most of us are) who doesn't have money to burn.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
It's pretty annoying to see the super rare 1/24 made LW3 Promo cards with Coma, Pure Hell and Whine Bros being sold one at a time by the same seller. I sense he has all 24 of each. Maximum cash attainment is the goal here. So cool.......
Of course he has them all I don't get why there's any desirability to collect this crap

anything