Author Topic: "Lost" Series 3  (Read 47385 times)

Offline Baked Bears

"Lost" Series 3
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
Has anyone ever seen this before?

I have been collecting WP for years on end and, until today, have never once saw or heard of such a series.

Does it actually exist?  Has it, indeed, been around for years, squirreled away and forgotten in somebody's attic or back stockroom?

Or am I to "believe" it has always existed, when it could be something recently created, freshly printed in the present day, a hodgepodge of random titles and assorted sketches  - that I must now spend hundreds of dollars on as each and every card is "newly discovered" and I must vie to purchase them piecemeal as a small palmful are released week by week by week?  Some of the titles I recognize. "Jujubats" and "Ovary Show" have been around for years.  "Barf Stew," if I'm not mistaken, was a promo card of sorts.  Again, around for years.  And "Buttcrackfinger" was a limited Jay Lynch rough.  As to the rest, I don't know.

Can anybody shed any light on this mystery?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:54:21 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: "Lost" Series 3
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
Interesting. I don't know.

Harassame Street is a Lost Wacky from 1992

Romans Day is a Lost Rough of Jay's

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
  I was talking with Greg Grant and Matt Stock at the Philly show and they said they were on a 'mission' to find this Lost Wackys 3 set. They said they didn't have any and they didn't know who produced it. Hearing them talk about it was the first I had ever heard of it.

With Greg's connections and history with Lost Wackys, it was hard to believe that he was 'in the dark' about this set.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:53:35 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline drono

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:13:16 AM »
  I was talking with Greg Grant and Matt Stock at the Philly show and they said they were on a 'mission' to find this Lost Wackys 3 set. They said they didn't have any and they didn't know who produced it. Hearing them talk about it was the first I had ever heard of it.

With Greg's connections and history with Lost Wackys, it was hard to believe that he was 'in the dark' about this set.  :-\

Matt just posted an uncut checklist from the set on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222490830280?ul_noapp=true

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »

The links to the images in the description don't seem to work, so here it is

http://www.wackypacks.com/unpublished/LW3.html

"The 3rd series is by far the most mysterious and deepest underground of all three series."

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
The links to the images in the description don't seem to work, so here it is

http://www.wackypacks.com/unpublished/LW3.html

"The 3rd series is by far the most mysterious and deepest underground of all three series."

The Upchuck's Barf's Stew showed up as a greeting card at some point.  I think I have one somewhere.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
The Upchuck's Barf's Stew showed up as a greeting card at some point.  I think I have one somewhere.

I believe this (card you referred to) was for one of the WP Artist/fan Reunions in the mid to late 90's. I have one at home so can verify this evening.  UPDATE: found a link with more information at Rusty's site:   http://www.lostwackys.com/odd-stuff/Wacky-Reunion-1999.htm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:02:36 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 05:49:25 AM »

So, Greg has printed a Lost 3? And Matt unraveled the 'mystery', just in time to start selling them? :-\

I'm joking. I don't really care. I wasn't around for the Lost Wacky 1 & 2 fiasco, with the altered artwork and such, so I don't have any hurt feelings over them.

Brian Mc

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
Has anyone ever seen this before?

I have been collecting WP for years on end and, until today, have never once saw or heard of such a series.

Where did you discover this checklist Rob?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 09:19:56 AM »
So, Greg has printed a Lost 3? And Matt unraveled the 'mystery', just in time to start selling them? :-\

Perhaps this could be the case.  Really can't say, though, which was why I initially broached the topic.

If so, this wouldn't be unlike a book company publishing an anthology of a writer's "lost" original drafts or an architect's alternative structural plans.  I own numerous books like these and find them fascinating.  To me, the extra information often helps to provide a richer and fuller understanding and appreciation of the original subject matter.  In the case of Wackys, an artist's rough (whether eventually realized or not) might sometimes offer an added glimpse into the artist and their thought process(es,) a particular time period, specific set, etc..

I only wish (selfishly, perhaps) that when such tangential, limited and unofficial WP sets are produced, they are not lauded as "rare," etc., in hopes of increasing their market value, but rather simply made available to the average collector at a fair and reasonable price.  I, myself, would consider paying $100 for a "Lost 3" set.  A bit on the pricey side, yet not beyond my means.  I am not about to enter a bidding war, however, and pay a small fortune for each and every unofficial card and/or puzzle.  (Like so many others, I believe, Topps' 24 Hour offers and decade long proclivity of flooding the market with a zillion parallels, etc. have slowly helped to unshackle me of such compulsory and obsessive tendencies.  Much as I may want, say, the rare and elusive "red" card, I know it will never be part of my collection.  I can either sob over it - or simply say, "oh, well," and move on.)  In my opinion, the business practice of alienating the majority of one's customer base in favor of garnering top dollar from a few is narrow minded (in the sense of not seeing the bigger picture,) "old school," and a sure-fire way of fostering disappointment - and even resentment - in one's customers.  I would suggest, rather, catering to everyone.  This way, everyone wins.  One sells dozens upon dozens of sets at a good markup, and the customers are not only satisfied, but eager for more.  (You don't see the top retailers - Walmart, McDonald's, Macy's, Dollar General, Target, etc. - catering to the few.  Just the opposite.  You see them going out of their way to embrace as many customers - and their wallets and handbags - as possible with affordable and obtainable products.)

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 04:45:29 PM »
I almost have a hunch that someone just did this on their own, compiled all these random unpublished titles that have floated out there for a while, included some of the more clearer of Jay's titles, and tagged it as a "Lost Series 3".  Almost seems like Greg's brainchild, but I have absolutely no knowledge of anything....

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »
I suspect this was someone's creative and fun way of celebrating the 50th anniversary.

"The 3rd series is by far the most mysterious and deepest underground of all three series." is just so over-the-top  ;)

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
I suspect this was someone's creative and fun way of celebrating the 50th anniversary.

"The 3rd series is by far the most mysterious and deepest underground of all three series." is just so over-the-top  ;)

And, it's so mysterious, that they know all the details about it. LOL.

It's all good though. I say bring 'em on!  :great:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:32:54 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Online Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
I don't collect Lost Wackys but I do collect sketches and bought this on eBay a little bit ago.  Can't remember the exact auction description but as you can see these were done as an edition of 5 cards.  They were drawn on the blank backed ANS 7 binder promo cards so it had to be after 2010.  Don't remember what I paid but it wasn't much.  As you can probably guess I bought it from Matt
Stock.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:05:18 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Beanball

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
Anyone have a line on buying these sets yet?

Andrew

They've been buried in a cave in South America for years!
Lol
That's my theory.
The best thing is hoping they have die cuts . Sounds interesting and mysterious to me.
The puzzle set is very cool and nostologic looking.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:57:39 AM by Beanball »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
Sad to see LW 3 being sold by one seller for maximum gain. I wish someone here would get these printed and sell them here at a reasonable price. Since there are no "Legitimate" LW 3 cards;  who cares if they are made by one of us or by the mysterious cartel of extortionists currently exploiting many people on this board.  Funny how the seller will not even answer inquiry's as to how one might purchase a regular set of these without fighting it out on the bay. I paid a decent amount for LW 1 and 2. This time around the distribution seems to favor two or three people who look to be conspiring to take this hobby for all it is worth.  Not cool. Not nice.  There's my rant.

Andrew

Agreed. I wonder how many of the "alternate puzzles" will be sold one at a time until the ridiculous high bids dry up. It's evident who swears the rants in your family! 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:08:32 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
Did you see that the "proof" set just sold for $787? I am certainly not immune to overpaying for something that I really want, but, dear God.....  :o
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »
Judging from past practices, my best guess would be that the LS3 puzzles, etc. will keep on selling for these ridiculously high prices so long as they are posted in a meager fashion, only one or two at a time, week after week after week - thereby creating the illusion that they are "rare," when, in fact, I'm sure they could be printed out at any quantity whatsoever.  But then and again, I'm sure that this is EXACTLY what some others are hoping for and counting upon.

As to the "proof" set selling for close to $800, all this is "proving" is that some vendors are only in this hobby for the money.  As another forum member pointed out to me, the vendor might as well be simply printing out currency for himself.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:10:45 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
I find the Lost Wacky sets interesting, but I have no intention of purchasing them... I'm one of those stubborn Wacky Package purists! LOL!

One thing that doesn't add up to me, with the whole LW3 "recently discovered from 2011" sales pitch, is that I was approached at the last Philly Non-Sport show and asked if I had a clean copy of the "Miracle Warp" art. I had a scan of that title in my portfolio, and allowed a picture to be taken of it at the show. Then, within a month, LW3 proofs and checklists start showing up on eBay with the Miracle Warp image and title included in and on them respectively. To me, it just seems like "2011" has nothing to do with this set even though it is printed on the various items for sale on eBay.

I used to think that the term "Lost Wacky" was a title given to a rough, or finished piece of art, that was being slated for a legitimate Topps release and susequently rejected for any number of reasons. I feel that it's a stretch to include "Miracle Warp" in a Lost Wacky set because it was never a piece that was aimed at any set that Topps was producing when the piece was painted.

The Miracle Warp story:

When I first started working for Topps, I was asked by the art director at the time, to submit a finished piece to determine if my work was up to their standards. When I got home from work that night, I went through our kitchen cabinets to find a product to do a quick parody of in order to get a painting done that night and sent off to Topps in the morning. I found a travel size jar of Miracle Whip and decided to use it as my subject.

I had the original art in my possesion until 2006 when I sold it to a long time Wacky Package collector for funds that I needed in order to participate in a missions trip to the Dominican Republic. To the best of my knowledge, that collector still has the art in their collection.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this whole LW3 enigma pans out!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »

When I first started working for Topps, I was asked by the art director at the time, to submit a finished piece to determine if my work was up to their standards.

Topps has apparently abandoned this practice
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:23:50 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline Soremel

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

Yes... yes it does. I'm not sure when that all stopped. I remember Fred Wheaton having to go through the same "test". He and I corresponded quite a bit during that period, showing each other our art samples, holding impromptu "critiques" and offering positive and constructive feedback for each other's work. That was the "Zapatta and Williams" art direction era. I miss those days.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
I was approached at the last Philly Non-Sport show and asked if I had a clean copy of the "Miracle Warp" art. I had a scan of that title in my portfolio, and allowed a picture to be taken of it at the show. Then, within a month, LW3 proofs and checklists start showing up on eBay with the Miracle Warp image and title included in and on them respectively.

enigma

Hmmm...  Interesting.

And "enigma" is certainly one way of putting it.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
or just significantly lowered their standards   :sad:

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 07:01:02 AM »
I find the Lost Wacky sets interesting, but I have no intention of purchasing them... I'm one of those stubborn Wacky Package purists! LOL!

One thing that doesn't add up to me, with the whole LW3 "recently discovered from 2011" sales pitch, is that I was approached at the last Philly Non-Sport show and asked if I had a clean copy of the "Miracle Warp" art. I had a scan of that title in my portfolio, and allowed a picture to be taken of it at the show. Then, within a month, LW3 proofs and checklists start showing up on eBay with the Miracle Warp image and title included in and on them respectively. To me, it just seems like "2011" has nothing to do with this set even though it is printed on the various items for sale on eBay.

I used to think that the term "Lost Wacky" was a title given to a rough, or finished piece of art, that was being slated for a legitimate Topps release and susequently rejected for any number of reasons. I feel that it's a stretch to include "Miracle Warp" in a Lost Wacky set because it was never a piece that was aimed at any set that Topps was producing when the piece was painted.

The Miracle Warp story:

When I first started working for Topps, I was asked by the art director at the time, to submit a finished piece to determine if my work was up to their standards. When I got home from work that night, I went through our kitchen cabinets to find a product to do a quick parody of in order to get a painting done that night and sent off to Topps in the morning. I found a travel size jar of Miracle Whip and decided to use it as my subject.

I had the original art in my possesion until 2006 when I sold it to a long time Wacky Package collector for funds that I needed in order to participate in a missions trip to the Dominican Republic. To the best of my knowledge, that collector still has the art in their collection.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this whole LW3 enigma pans out!

"that I was approached at the last Philly Non-Sport show and asked if I had a clean copy of the "Miracle Warp" art."

Who approached you?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
"that I was approached at the last Philly Non-Sport show and asked if I had a clean copy of the "Miracle Warp" art."

Who approached you?

I'm reluctant to say, only because that action could be perceived as a "calling out", and that type of offense has caused dissension amongst the ranks over the years on multiple Wacky Package forums. Let me just state that some of the posted allegations and deductions seem to be pointing in the same general direction. I don't have any inside info on the LS3 "phenomenon", but have a gut feeling that some of the coincidences surrounding it make it highly suspect as to it's being a "new discovery".

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
Didn't Greg come across those can titles a while back? 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
Hey, George, when you have a moment, could you send me clean scans of every picture you've ever did going all the way back to kindergarten, including the crayon pictures of rainbows, happy monsters, and "telephone pole" trees with ridiculously long, skinny trunks?

I need them for, uh, er... the WP "historical record!"  Yeah, that's the ticket!

Thanks a million!

Rob

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

LOL, they are truly the master baiters!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
I don't get it???   I've owned an uncensored "Ovary Show" for a few years now. I think I paid around $50 for it. These and the whole set are not a new discovery.!? I was aware of these for at least 6 years. I tried getting LS1 LS2 and LS3 all at one time for quite a bit of money. The seller tried ripping me off almost half of the cards from all 3 sets.(found out later, tried to keep them for himself). But I turned him into ebay, they sided with me and got my money back. I have picture of the cards from the transaction somewhere, if I find them I will post em. This is just a big farce.

Jim

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
I noticed in one of the other threads that people were asking about who created the Camals cigarette pack and the Cracked Animals box.  Weren't those created by the same guy who originally printed up the Lost Wacky sheets?  I can't remember his name or forum handle.  Not sure if he ever came over to this forum.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
I don't get it???   I've owned an uncensored "Ovary Show" for a few years now. I think I paid around $50 for it. These and the whole set are not a new discovery.!? I was aware of these for at least 6 years. I tried getting LS1 LS2 and LS3 all at one time for quite a bit of money. The seller tried ripping me off almost half of the cards from all 3 sets.(found out later, tried to keep them for himself). But I turned him into ebay, they sided with me and got my money back. I have picture of the cards from the transaction somewhere, if I find them I will post em. This is just a big farce.

Jim
Lost wacky set selling was a joke.  There was "supposedly" a fixed low price and nobody was supposed to put them on ebay.  This was all to appease Topps copyright infringement so they weren't profitting from these illegal sets.  Of course behind the scenes, the prices were being gouged and lies were rampant in regards to what they real "non" profit price was to be.  The ultimate irony was Duane screwing the the cards!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Soremel

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
Hey, George, when you have a moment, could you send me clean scans of every picture you've ever did going all the way back to kindergarten, including the crayon pictures of rainbows, happy monsters, and "telephone pole" trees with ridiculously long, skinny trunks?

I need them for, uh, er... the WP "historical record!"  Yeah, that's the ticket!

Thanks a million!

Rob

Heck... I'll go one better! I recently found all of my homemade Wacky Package drawings that I drew back in 1973. I don't want to hijack this thread with those pics, so I'll start a new thread in a little while after I download the scans... and tag them with my copyright (I don't want them to mysteriously become Lost Wackys! :])

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 06:19:49 AM »
Lost wacky set selling was a joke.  There was "supposedly" a fixed low price and nobody was supposed to put them on ebay.  This was all to appease Topps copyright infringement so they weren't profitting from these illegal sets.  Of course behind the scenes, the prices were being gouged and lies were rampant in regards to what they real "non" profit price was to be.  The ultimate irony was Duane screwing the the cards!

I remember the 'outrage' when JFK's brother sold his set on ebay for a fairly decent profit not too long after everyone bought their sets when they first came out.  And yes there was an agreement that you weren't supposed to ebay these sets.  I guess the statute of limitations has run out on that deal.... 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
I remember the 'outrage' when JFK's brother sold his set on ebay for a fairly decent profit not too long after everyone bought their sets when they first came out.  And yes there was an agreement that you weren't supposed to ebay these sets.  I guess the statute of limitations has run out on that deal....
The fake outrage was actually directed towards me for my calling him out.  I got more abuse than JFK's brother did.  It motivated me to expose the fraud of the no profit selling and that people were given inflated no profit prices.