Author Topic: Prices for OS Unopened Packs  (Read 34555 times)

Offline Bigmuc13

Re: Prices for OS Unopened Packs
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
Steve,

It's been years since packs and boxes showed up for public sale regularly, but even 10-15 years ago there was a stark difference in availability for early series boxes compared to later ones. I would estimate I have seen 6th, 7th, 9th 10th, 14th and 15th series boxes at least ten times each over the years, whereas I can count the number of legit series 1-5 boxes I have seen on a single hand. I used to own a 2nd series box and there was a Bum/Choke checklist 4th box broken up a few years ago that I recall. But for the most part they just aren't around. Then again, that's what I thought about 11ths until two turned up, so one never knows!

A bout a year and a half ago someone had put a full series 3 box and a partial series 3 box.  I think the full box went for something crazy like 15k, but maybe not that high.  My memory is spotty these days.  Does anyone still have the link to those auctions or remember the prices on them?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
A bout a year and a half ago someone had put a full series 3 box and a partial series 3 box.  I think the full box went for something crazy like 15k, but maybe not that high.  My memory is spotty these days.  Does anyone still have the link to those auctions or remember the prices on them?

If you mean the box with red packs, my foggy recollection is that Eric Roberts bought that and returned it because the packs were resealed.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »
If you mean the box with red packs, my foggy recollection is that Eric Roberts bought that and returned it because the packs were resealed.

Yes, and wow I had not heard that.  That really stinks.  A find that seems to go to be true usually is I guess.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
Yes, and wow I had not heard that.  That really stinks.  A find that seems to go to be true usually is I guess.

Don't quote me on this because I can't remember where I heard it. I am looking through PMs, but that is my recollection.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
Where have all of the original boxes gone?
Long time passin'...

couldn't resist

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
Long time passin'...

couldn't resist
Original series boxes show up all the time, full original packs in original boxes rarely show up, full original boxes full of packs accumulated over time show up from time to time.  Original series packs are on ebay weekly....so one can accumulate those packs and make "full" boxes.   The packs on ebay seem to be series 5 and later.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »
Original series boxes show up all the time, full original packs in original boxes rarely show up, full original boxes full of packs accumulated over time show up from time to time.  Original series packs are on ebay weekly....so one can accumulate those packs and make "full" boxes.   The packs on ebay seem to be series 5 and later.

The packs that are on eBay weekly are the same ones that are there every week, not new finds, hardly ever. They are the same few overpriced common packs. I'm not seeing enough packs for sale on eBay to fill boxes, not even close. As for empty boxes, they don't show up all the time, they show up once in a while in crappy shape.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »
I guess I must be looking in the wrong place but where are the boxes that show up frequently? I saw a large number of series 7 packs No Gum show up last year, but I don't even remember one original box on eBay last year. Maybe I missed it.

But when I do buy boxes, I check to make sure that the number of packs have an even number of similar advertisements on the back; like 24 of one, 12 of another and 12 of another.
The series 11 box I bought 2 years ago had the correct ratio of ad backs. Now it could have been put together with the correct number of packs, but how would we ever know that? Also, who has a supply of series 11 packs?

I knew that Eric bought the partial box, but did not hear that he had to return it. Ouch. I have had a number of dealings with him in the past, and he is always a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately, he is looking for the rarest of the rare that just does not turn up every day, especially when you want to upgrade what is already pretty damn nice.

I don't have that same issue with sports card boxes since they sell for extraordinary prices that the normal collector just can't afford. The investors have that market as they open them and grade the cards looking for the perfect 10. Every year, there are less and less unopened product becoming available.

But my display in Cleveland this summer will highlight such unopened packs and boxes, mostly sports but I will have at least one showcase of unopened non sports packs and boxes, including original Wackys, I will send you all a near complete list of what I will be bringing with me sometime in May or June, even though the show is in August.

Regards,

Steve Sabow
DynamicTwo

P.S. I often advertise in The Wrapper, and will have an ad in the issue that comes out in about 7 weeks and the issue that follows that one, just not the latest issue. My contact information is always in my ad.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
The packs that are on eBay weekly are the same ones that are there every week, not new finds, hardly ever. They are the same few overpriced common packs. I'm not seeing enough packs for sale on eBay to fill boxes, not even close. As for empty boxes, they don't show up all the time, they show up once in a while in crappy shape.
crappy shape is not part of the equation.  overpriced is also not part of the equation.  I did a 2 second scan of sold auctions and found packs from series 6-10 which is exactly what I said in terms of packs often showing up on ebay.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:13 PM »
I guess I must be looking in the wrong place but where are the boxes that show up frequently? I saw a large number of series 7 packs No Gum show up last year, but I don't even remember one original box on eBay last year. Maybe I missed it.

But when I do buy boxes, I check to make sure that the number of packs have an even number of similar advertisements on the back; like 24 of one, 12 of another and 12 of another.
The series 11 box I bought 2 years ago had the correct ratio of ad backs. Now it could have been put together with the correct number of packs, but how would we ever know that? Also, who has a supply of series 11 packs?

I knew that Eric bought the partial box, but did not hear that he had to return it. Ouch. I have had a number of dealings with him in the past, and he is always a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately, he is looking for the rarest of the rare that just does not turn up every day, especially when you want to upgrade what is already pretty damn nice.

I don't have that same issue with sports card boxes since they sell for extraordinary prices that the normal collector just can't afford. The investors have that market as they open them and grade the cards looking for the perfect 10. Every year, there are less and less unopened product becoming available.

But my display in Cleveland this summer will highlight such unopened packs and boxes, mostly sports but I will have at least one showcase of unopened non sports packs and boxes, including original Wackys, I will send you all a near complete list of what I will be bringing with me sometime in May or June, even though the show is in August.

Regards,

Steve Sabow
DynamicTwo

P.S. I often advertise in The Wrapper, and will have an ad in the issue that comes out in about 7 weeks and the issue that follows that one, just not the latest issue. My contact information is always in my ad.
Series 3, 10 and 12 display boxes all showed up and sold recently.  Not worth getting into an argument on the definition of frequently.  My assessment which breaks down the differences of the types of boxes and frequency ratios are dead on.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
I guess that I must not have been paying full attention recently and missed their listings. I would have been interested in all three of them, especially series 3. I have been spending too much time on sports unopened packs and boxes, which sell themselves quickly. My focus has been strictly 1948 to 1970 for all four sports. Just tough to pass up on when they become available. Maybe the reader who bought the series 3 box wants to resell it?

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
I think I misunderstood -- I am only looking for unopened boxes. And your assessment was for packs and empty display boxes. I get it.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 05:25:16 AM »
I think I misunderstood -- I am only looking for unopened boxes. And your assessment was for packs and empty display boxes. I get it.
Yes, I outlined the different ways boxes can be collected with details around each as often people intermix "full boxes" with original state full box.  You are dead on that original state full boxes would be strictly collated with a pattern.  I don't believe this is commonly known which is why fraudsters don't hesitate to just take a pile of accumulated packs to fill a box to sell as a "full box" creating the mirage this is original state full box(which in my opinion deserves a premium value).  Those such boxes are very rare with maybe one per year showing up.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
Back in the 90's I bought a price guide and general collector info for unopened packs, cellos, rack packs, etc. of sportscards.  The author was a dealer specializing in unopened material, I believe the name is Mark Murphy.  Anyway, one tip he gave to ensure you're dealing with an original state box is to pick up each stack of packs within the box and look for perfect consistency in the folding patterns, any dog-eared flaps curled around the edges of packs, the area where packs are sealed, etc.  Since they came off the production line consecutively to fill the original box, these traits should all be identical and packs should nest together closely (though Wackys may not do that as well with gum sliding around that's thicker than the cards themselves).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 08:26:07 AM »
Back in the 90's I bought a price guide and general collector info for unopened packs, cellos, rack packs, etc. of sportscards.  The author was a dealer specializing in unopened material, I believe the name is Mark Murphy.  Anyway, one tip he gave to ensure you're dealing with an original state box is to pick up each stack of packs within the box and look for perfect consistency in the folding patterns, any dog-eared flaps curled around the edges of packs, the area where packs are sealed, etc.  Since they came off the production line consecutively to fill the original box, these traits should all be identical and packs should nest together closely (though Wackys may not do that as well with gum sliding around that's thicker than the cards themselves).

That's absolutely all true. If you're able to examine the packs (i.e. the box is not sealed by BBCE) it's usually very obvious whether a box is original or not. I once examined a 3rd series full box and it was very obvious that the packs were from exactly two sources. One group had completely different shades of yellow and blue on the wrappers compared to the other. One group was extremely fresh while the other group of packs looked more dingy. That's why I hate buying/selling wrapped boxes unless there are detailed photos of the packs taken prior to wrapping.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
As a collector and dealer in unopened sports and non sports cards, I keep copies of the following on hand at all times;

-- Mark Murphy's "The World's Best Unopened Pack, Wrapper and Display Box Guide"

-- Alan "Mr. Mint" Rosen -- The Michigan Million Dollar Vintage Unopened Pack Auction"

Neither are perfect, but together they show copies of most sports packs and the second auction catalog contains pictures of most non sports too into the early 1970s.

Unfortunately, there are some rare or tough sports packs in particular that neither guide can help with, and even PSA is sometimes no help.

Net 54 can sometimes help but some packs are just so rare that the available knowledge is non existent.

NOTE: Both are very old so out of date prices, just great for the pix.

No Wackys in the auction catalog except for the 1967 diecut, which I would gladly buy all day at the estimated $200 to $500.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 04:18:27 PM »
Yes, that's the guide (Murphy) I was referring to.  Agreed, an excellent resource regardless of dated pricing, if for no other reason than matching the wrapper designs for each sport and year, plus the general collector tips on what to look for in evaluating material.  There were some things in there I'd never even seen before, such as "tray packs".

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:00:16 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2019, 06:28:43 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm one of the 90's collectors, so it fits... I was wondering what you guys think one of those rare Irish TEST packs would go for these days.  I had one of the cleanest of the batch for a long time, but let it go a few years ago as a gift.  I sometimes kick myself for not at least getting it graded first as there were so few left unopened, and without all those weird little black dots on the front.  I think the trade value I gave up for it was about $500 when the lot was found.  But I figured when I gave it away it could have been double by then.  Any clue if any of them are even still out there in-tact?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2019, 08:41:19 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm one of the 90's collectors, so it fits... I was wondering what you guys think one of those rare Irish TEST packs would go for these days.  I had one of the cleanest of the batch for a long time, but let it go a few years ago as a gift.  I sometimes kick myself for not at least getting it graded first as there were so few left unopened, and without all those weird little black dots on the front.  I think the trade value I gave up for it was about $500 when the lot was found.  But I figured when I gave it away it could have been double by then.  Any clue if any of them are even still out there in-tact?

I still have this one.

I honestly can’t see a lot of people clamoring for this pack. It’s pretty rare now, but demand doesn’t seem that high.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 02:05:58 AM »
I still have this one.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I honestly can’t see a lot of people clamoring for this pack. It’s pretty rare now, but demand doesn’t seem that high.

I'd be interested in one of those if it turned up.  You got me hooked on sealed packs!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
I'd be interested in one of those if it turned up.  You got me hooked on sealed packs!

I would be interested as well, not sure of too many who would reject one of these packs.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
'73- All commons 30, the three rares 150.
'74- All are 20.

Wow... what happened to the posters?  The rare 3 cereals were always consistently $300 ea. once everyone figured out what they were & rarity, etc.  How'd the price drop in half this many years later while 16th & Diecuts have skyrocketed?  Strange.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
I seed this was posted in 2017. Not trying to keep a thread alive, but is Band Aches price list still a good ballpark of what things sell for? I am going to be trying to buy some Original Series stickers of Series 7-15, not sure what the market is, other than the listings on E-bay

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2021, 01:18:50 PM »
I seed this was posted in 2017. Not trying to keep a thread alive, but is Band Aches price list still a good ballpark of what things sell for? I am going to be trying to buy some Original Series stickers of Series 7-15, not sure what the market is, other than the listings on E-bay

Not sure what his list prices them at, but those are all really cheap. Only a couple titles like Pupsi, Bloodweiser, and maybe Gums would cost more. The latter two are less so.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
actually Series 11-15 do command a little more money as they were not produced as much as 5-8

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
actually Series 11-15 do command a little more money as they were not produced as much as 5-8

I would agree with you if you said “in high grade”. I don’t think there’s a noticeable difference in price for those sets. Series 15 is the only one of which might be $1-2 higher per card in my experience.

I suppose you’ve been here longer than me, however, so you likely know the markets better.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2021, 06:17:13 AM »
Absolutely correct, later series command more, I would say almost double.  Middle series are probably like $50 and later series $100 and more with series 15 approaching $150.  ebay has proven this out. If people look at completed auctions and do apples to apples on condition.  There are always exceptions due to bizarre shill bids or odd buy it nows but over time, I think my assessment above is pretty accurate.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2021, 06:56:17 AM »
So...your advice to a novice buyer like myself, would be to avoid the unopened packs on e-bay? Prices seem fairly high (some outrageously so) and without precise photos, or inspecting the packs in person, its pretty hard to tell what you are getting in terms of re-sealed packs? I guess these sellers are trying to capitalize on our desire to open packs...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2021, 08:21:08 AM »
So...your advice to a novice buyer like myself, would be to avoid the unopened packs on e-bay? Prices seem fairly high (some outrageously so) and without precise photos, or inspecting the packs in person, its pretty hard to tell what you are getting in terms of re-sealed packs? I guess these sellers are trying to capitalize on our desire to open packs...

OPEN them???  >( >( >( >( >(

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2021, 09:18:25 AM »

No, do not buy ungraded packs on eBay if you require that they be original and not resealed.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2021, 09:31:42 AM »
No, do not buy ungraded packs on eBay if you require that they be original and not resealed.

Absolutely.  Thought I had that in my response, but must have accidentally deleted it. 

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2021, 02:30:33 PM »
I guess it should not surprise me that unscrupulous sellers would open, take out rare cards, and re-seal… Do these people own heat seal machines, or are they just re-gluing them???

Offline Adrian

• If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2021, 06:16:08 AM »
I guess it should not surprise me that unscrupulous sellers would open, take out rare cards, and re-seal… Do these people own heat seal machines, or are they just re-gluing them???

No machine, all they need is hot iron. I won’t get into details, but there are YouTube videos out there on this. I collect almost only 1992 O-pee-chee OS, so I don’t have to worry - not much rare in there  ;D

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
No machine, all they need is hot iron. I won’t get into details, but there are YouTube videos out there on this. I collect almost only 1992 O-pee-chee OS, so I don’t have to worry - not much rare in there  ;D

It’s very easy to detect packs that have been resealed with an iron in person, but on eBay, not so much.

anything